The Gospel of the Kingdom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep hearing people imply that these scriptures are speaking of the same thing when in reality, I believe they are two separate things.

Matt. 28:19-20 - Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Mark 16:15 - KJV - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Acts 1:8 -But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Matt. 24:14 - And "this gospel" of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

First, let's talk about the word "gospel". As in any language, any given word can change meanings in different generations. The word, "bad" for instance, does not mean the same thing for this generation as it did for our grandparents. One of the ways the word "gospel" is used in the Greek is, "euaggelion". This means the "good news". An offshoot of this word is "euaggelizo", which means to "announce the "good news". In the Greek, before Christ's time, this word used to mean "the messenger of the news". In Jesus's day it was shortened to mean just the "good news". However, it wasn't until about 25 yrs. after the death of Christ when Paul started to refer to it as the "gospel of Jesus Christ" did it acquire the meaning that we still give it to this day.

So when Jesus used the word "gospel" He wasn't referring to the gospel of His life, death and resurrection, because they all hadn't occurred yet. He was speaking generally to the "good news" of salvation and that His words were "good".
Now back to Matt. 24:14. The phrase "this gospel" is used. Before I began this study, I had no idea how many ways the word "this" could be used. It really is quite extensive. According to the Strong's, the word "this", in this passage means: Neutral specific, which implies that one is speaking of the direct subject that is being discussed.

So I have concluded that when Jesus uses the term, "this gospel", he is not speaking of the gospel of Jesus Christ as we know it, but He is speaking of the gospel of the Olivet Discourse. That specific message He is preaching about.
With that being said, the following is just my opinion based on my studies.

I believe that Jesus was telling us that basically, He wants to give the world fair warning of what is to happen in the latter days. When the gospel of the Olivet Discourse is preached throughout the world, then we can start looking for the signs that signal the countdown to the rapture, has begun. We have been so busy trying to save souls, that for the most part, we don't want to scare "new believers" or potential believers by bringing up the subject of end times, but I believe that this is what Jesus wants us to do. It's hard to believe, but there is a large percentage of christians that have no interest in the end times whatsoever. They consider themselves "pan-millenialists" which is the term they use to believe that "it doesn't matter for it will all "pan out" in the end". Personally, I feel that Jesus is outraged by their lackadaisical approach to the end times when so many souls are literally hanging in the balance.

Unfortunately, some pre-trib believers have used tools such as the movie, "Left Behind" to promote what I call, fear evangelism. While this is a step in the right direction, I question the motivation behind it. There is no doubt that this approach has done some good as far as leading souls to Christ, but I generally believe this is a perversion of the verse that says, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". The word "fear" here does not mean "quaking in your boots terror", which is what the "Left Behind" folks are preaching, in my opinion.

The problem with this approach is two-fold. First, if the pre-trib rapture doesn't occur, then those who became believers out of fear of being left behind will feel conned and lied to and will question the truthfulness of everything they have since learned.

Secondly, those that didn't become christians but heard this message will find satisfaction in their rejection of this type of gospel preaching because it was wrong and they will be even harder to reach when the negative events of the 70th week begin to occur.

One of the points that I'm trying to get across here is that there are many things taught that most people in the church never question, such as this topic. Another example, is the belief that the 70th week is the "tribulation period". As a matter of fact, the bible never calls the 70th week, the tribulation period. That is man's terminology and it is wrong and misleading. The "great Trib." is a small part of the 70th week but nowhere in the bible does it say that it is even 3 1/2 yrs. long, let alone 7 yrs. as many folks believe.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Study them yourself and I'm sure you'll come up with the same conclusion that I did. At least I hope you do. LOL! If not, well then that's fodder for more discussions!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul preached the gospel of Christ and the gospel of the kingdom. These are one gospel which is according to grace. Any confusion is due to a lack of understanding.

There is only one gospel.

Hitch

May 7, 2011
PeoplesRepublikofOregon
Paul preached the gospel of Christ and the gospel of the kingdom. These are one gospel which is according to grace. Any confusion is due to a lack of understanding.

Worth repeating.

I keep hearing people imply that these scriptures are speaking of the same thing when in reality, I believe they are two separate things.

Matt. 28:19-20 - Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Mark 16:15 - KJV - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Acts 1:8 -But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Matt. 24:14 - And "this gospel" of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
[sup]17 [/sup]So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
[sup]18 [/sup]But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

[sup] [/sup]For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
[sup]6 [/sup]Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
First, let's talk about the word "gospel". As in any language, any given word can change meanings in different generations. The word, "bad" for instance, does not mean the same thing for this generation as it did for our grandparents. One of the ways the word "gospel" is used in the Greek is, "euaggelion". This means the "good news". An offshoot of this word is "euaggelizo", which means to "announce the "good news". In the Greek, before Christ's time, this word used to mean "the messenger of the news". In Jesus's day it was shortened to mean just the "good news". However, it wasn't until about 25 yrs. after the death of Christ when Paul started to refer to it as the "gospel of Jesus Christ" did it acquire the meaning that we still give it to this day.

So when Jesus used the word "gospel" He wasn't referring to the gospel of His life, death and resurrection, because they all hadn't occurred yet. He was speaking generally to the "good news" of salvation and that His words were "good".
Now back to Matt. 24:14. The phrase "this gospel" is used. Before I began this study, I had no idea how many ways the word "this" could be used. It really is quite extensive. According to the Strong's, the word "this", in this passage means: Neutral specific, which implies that one is speaking of the direct subject that is being discussed.

So I have concluded that when Jesus uses the term, "this gospel", he is not speaking of the gospel of Jesus Christ as we know it, but He is speaking of the gospel of the Olivet Discourse. That specific message He is preaching about.
With that being said, the following is just my opinion based on my studies.

I believe that Jesus was telling us that basically, He wants to give the world fair warning of what is to happen in the latter days. When the gospel of the Olivet Discourse is preached throughout the world, then we can start looking for the signs that signal the countdown to the rapture, has begun. We have been so busy trying to save souls, that for the most part, we don't want to scare "new believers" or potential believers by bringing up the subject of end times, but I believe that this is what Jesus wants us to do. It's hard to believe, but there is a large percentage of christians that have no interest in the end times whatsoever. They consider themselves "pan-millenialists" which is the term they use to believe that "it doesn't matter for it will all "pan out" in the end". Personally, I feel that Jesus is outraged by their lackadaisical approach to the end times when so many souls are literally hanging in the balance.

Unfortunately, some pre-trib believers have used tools such as the movie, "Left Behind" to promote what I call, fear evangelism. While this is a step in the right direction, I question the motivation behind it. There is no doubt that this approach has done some good as far as leading souls to Christ, but I generally believe this is a perversion of the verse that says, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". The word "fear" here does not mean "quaking in your boots terror", which is what the "Left Behind" folks are preaching, in my opinion.

The problem with this approach is two-fold. First, if the pre-trib rapture doesn't occur, then those who became believers out of fear of being left behind will feel conned and lied to and will question the truthfulness of everything they have since learned.

Secondly, those that didn't become christians but heard this message will find satisfaction in their rejection of this type of gospel preaching because it was wrong and they will be even harder to reach when the negative events of the 70th week begin to occur.

One of the points that I'm trying to get across here is that there are many things taught that most people in the church never question, such as this topic. Another example, is the belief that the 70th week is the "tribulation period". As a matter of fact, the bible never calls the 70th week, the tribulation period. That is man's terminology and it is wrong and misleading. The "great Trib." is a small part of the 70th week but nowhere in the bible does it say that it is even 3 1/2 yrs. long, let alone 7 yrs. as many folks believe.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Study them yourself and I'm sure you'll come up with the same conclusion that I did. At least I hope you do. LOL! If not, well then that's fodder for more discussions!

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon

Amen

"So when Jesus used the word "gospel" He wasn't referring to the gospel of His life, death and resurrection, because they all hadn't occurred yet. He was speaking generally to the "good news" of salvation and that His words were "good"...

This quote from the OP is the problem. Whoever told you this is an enemy of the Gospel. The entire Gospel Jesus preached began, was about, and ended, then began again, at the CROSS. That is the Gospel.

(1Co 1:17)

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys are missing the point. The word gospel as we use it today, simply did not have the same meaning when Christ used it. No one is denying there is only one gospel, now, just that the intent was different when Christ used the word, imo.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
You guys are missing the point. The word gospel as we use it today, simply did not have the same meaning when Christ used it. No one is denying there is only one gospel, now, just that the intent was different when Christ used the word, imo.

There is never but One Gospel. Here was Christ's Gospel;

(Luk 4:18)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

(Luk 24:19)
And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:

(Luk 24:20)And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.

(Luk 24:25)

Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

(Luk 24:26)

Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

(Luk 24:27)

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Did you not know that The Gospel was preached to Abraham according to Paul? Christ was prepared before the foundation of the world to come to die on the cross to defeat death and the devil in order to offer us His Salvation. That's how far back the Good News was planned. So how could you ever think that's not the same idea our Lord Jesus was talking about when He used the Gospel terminology, even though it hadn't happened yet while He was still walking the earth? You didn't get this idea out of some book of man did you? (I'm being honest when I say that.)

mark s

Nov 12, 2010

Hi Trekson,

Could it be that Jesus was announcing the Good News that the kingdom which had been promised to Isreal was close to happening? Was this also what Peter was announcing in Acts 3?

Acts 3:19-21 LITV
(19) Therefore, repent, and convert, for the blotting out of your sins, so that times of refreshing may come from the face of the Lord,
(20) and that He may send forth the One before proclaimed to you, Jesus Christ,
(21) whom Heaven truly needs to receive until the times of restoration of all things, of which God spoke through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age past.

What would have happened had Israel repented nationally?

Did God want Israel to repent? If so, was He sincere?

Love in Christ,
Mark

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
It will be angels that preach the gospel to the whole world (just before the end) ...... Not you , me , Billy Graham, or the African Missionaries.

We do our part yes , but angels will do the part Jesus is referring to in .... Matt 24:14 .........

..... And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Veteran, Your words: Did you not know that The Gospel was preached to Abraham according to Paul? Christ was prepared before the foundation of the world to come to die on the cross to defeat death and the devil in order to offer us His Salvation. That's how far back the Good News was planned. So how could you ever think that's not the same idea our Lord Jesus was talking about when He used the Gospel terminology, even though it hadn't happened yet while He was still walking the earth? You didn't get this idea out of some book of man did you?"

What was the "gospel" preached to Abraham? Simply it was that through him all the nations would be blessed (Gal. 3:8) It was just that "good news", it wasn't the gospel of Christ, although it is there that the scriptural foundation for Him is found.

What was the gospel preached by Christ? Simply, the "good news" that the kingdom of heaven was at hand. Christ lived and died and taught under the law. The "good news" He preached was different than what God tasked Paul to preach.

What was the gospel preached by Paul? Simply, the "good news" that salvation is now available to the gentiles, Christ fulfilled the law, His death as our sacrifice opened the door to many blessings, thereby we only have to live by grace and faith and Christ's summary of the ten commandments to two. Not the whole 613 laws the jews needed to abide by.

When you consider what the definition of gospel is, it can mean many things. It is a gospel to me when the Pats win the super bowl, or at the birth of my children and grandchildren. The announcement was gospel, "good news".

Just as any other word can have different tenses and meanings, my only point was by utilizing the word "this gospel" it's specifying a singular topic. Which when the word gospel is preceded by "the" it is more generalizing the phrase "good news".

Yes, everything points back to Christ but it is not a singular gospel there are many different aspects to it. The gospel of salvation is different from the gospel of baptism which is different from being filled with spirit, which is different from the gospel that all we have to do is repent, believe, accept, learn to live, be fruitful, faithful, etc. I'm not making things more complicated. It was just a simple word study, Geesh!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, friends.

You all don't seem to understand the Gospel about the Kingdom, that Yochanan the Immerser (John the Baptizer) and Yeshua` (Jesus) heralded since the early days of their ministries. That good news about the Kingdom was first heralded by Yesha`yahu (Isaiah) in Isaiah 52:7:

Isaiah 52:7
7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation (Hebrew: "yshuw`aah" = "rescue"); that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
KJV

This is CERTAINLY not the same as the "death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ," as some define the "gospel" based on 1 Corinthians 15:1-4! Episkopos, Hitch, and Whitestone are all wrong to assume that there is only one gospel. There was the gospel that Yeshua` heralded, and then there is the monstrosity that we call "gospel" today, which is some twisted view of what Rav Sha'uwl (Paul) was saying to the believers in Korinth.

All one needs to do is look at how early Yochanan and Yeshua` were heralding this "good news" to see that it is most definitely NOT about the "death, burial, and resurrection!"

Mark 1:14-15
14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
KJV

Yeshua` was saying this in the FIRST CHAPTER OF MARK, not some time after His resurrection! Notice a couple things about this: First, Yeshua` didn't offer an explanation for what He was talking about, nor did He teach what His concept of the "kingdom of God" was! He merely stated, "The time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is within your grasp: change your attitude 180 degrees and believe the good news!" Second, notice that Yeshua` ASSUMED that the general public of the Jews already KNEW what this "good news" was all about! And, they did.

The Kingdom was not some arbitrary "kingdom" represented by the "Church!" That is a relatively modern malformation of the concept. It's a twisted, deformity of the truth that has no true support from Scripture. The true Kingdom of God was God's Kingdom as it was before Sh'mu'el (Samuel) was told by the children of Isra'el that they wanted a king. Remember God's reaction to Sh'mu'el?

1 Samuel 8:7
7 And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.
KJV

And, that is when God gave them a king, King Sha'uwl (Saul). Because Sha'uwl overstepped his bounds, God rejected him in favor of David. God's choice of David and his line pleased God in several ways, but the end result was that David was given the following promises:

2 Samuel 7:1-17
1 And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the Lord had given him rest round about from all his enemies;
2 That the king said unto Nathan the prophet, See now, I dwell in an house of cedar, but the ark of God dwelleth within curtains.
3 And Nathan said to the king, Go, do all that is in thine heart; for the Lord is with thee.
4 And it came to pass that night, that the word of the Lord came unto Nathan, saying,
5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the Lord, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?
6 Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle.
7 In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spake I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me an house of cedar?
8 Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel:
9 And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth.
10 Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,
11 And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the Lord telleth thee that he will make thee an house.
12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.
16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

17 According to all these words, and according to all this vision, so did Nathan speak unto David.
KJV

Psalm 89:1-52
1 I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.
3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.
5 And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O Lord: thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints.
6 For who in the heaven can be compared unto the Lord? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the Lord?
7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.
8 O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee?
9 Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.
10 Thou hast broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; thou hast scattered thine enemies with thy strong arm.
11 The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.
12 The north and the south thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in thy name.
13 Thou hast a mighty arm: strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.
15 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of thy countenance.
16 In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.
17 For thou art the glory of their strength: and in thy favour our horn shall be exalted.
18 For the Lord is our defence; and the Holy One of Israel is our king.
19 Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.

30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

38 But thou hast cast off and abhorred, thou hast been wroth with thine anointed.
39 Thou hast made void the covenant of thy servant: thou hast profaned his crown by casting it to the ground.
40 Thou hast broken down all his hedges; thou hast brought his strong holds to ruin.
41 All that pass by the way spoil him: he is a reproach to his neighbours.
42 Thou hast set up the right hand of his adversaries; thou hast made all his enemies to rejoice.
43 Thou hast also turned the edge of his sword, and hast not made him to stand in the battle.
44 Thou hast made his glory to cease, and cast his throne down to the ground.
45 The days of his youth hast thou shortened: thou hast covered him with shame. Selah.
46 How long, Lord? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? shall thy wrath burn like fire?
47 Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vain?
48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.
49 Lord, where are thy former lovingkindnesses, which thou swarest unto David in thy truth?
50 Remember, Lord, the reproach of thy servants; how I do bear in my bosom the reproach of all the mighty people;
51 Wherewith thine enemies have reproached, O Lord; wherewith they have reproached the footsteps of thine anointed.
52 Blessed be the Lord for evermore. Amen, and Amen.
KJV

And, these promises were passed on through the Davidic line to the Messiah Yeshua`:

Luke 1:30-33
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
KJV

So, THIS is the Kingdom that was promised to Yeshua` and to His servants with Him. It was DAVID'S KINGDOM! It was SHLOMO'S (SOLOMON'S) KINGDOM! It's not this fabulous, mythical creature called the "church!" This is why Yeshua` was identified as the "King of the Jews," the Jews being the tribe of Y'hudah (Judah), DAVID'S tribe!

Matthew 2:1-2
2 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
KJV

He was BORN to be the King of the Jews! He was SUPPOSED to be accepted in that role, and even in His death, He was so identified:

Matthew 27:11
11 And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest.
KJV

Matthew 27:28-29
28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
KJV

Matthew 27:35-37
35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
36 And sitting down they watched him there;
37 And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
KJV

Consider the parable and its interpretation in Luke 19:

Luke 19:11-28
11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
12 He said therefore,
A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.
15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.
16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:
21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.
22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:
23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.
25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)
26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.
KJV

Do you understand, yet? The Kingdom is a JEWISH Kingdom! Why? Because Yeshua` was (and is) a JEW! He is the heir of David and Shlomo, and He is the Messiah - the ANOINTED TO BE KING! Just as David reigned over the tribe of Y'hudah for 7 years before he reigned over Isra'el for another 33 years, so Yeshua` was supposed to be accepted by the elders of the tribe, and rule and reign over them for 7 years before becoming the King of Isra'el and then ultimately the King of Kings, a world Emperor!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran, Your words: Did you not know that The Gospel was preached to Abraham according to Paul? Christ was prepared before the foundation of the world to come to die on the cross to defeat death and the devil in order to offer us His Salvation. That's how far back the Good News was planned. So how could you ever think that's not the same idea our Lord Jesus was talking about when He used the Gospel terminology, even though it hadn't happened yet while He was still walking the earth? You didn't get this idea out of some book of man did you?"

What was the "gospel" preached to Abraham? Simply it was that through him all the nations would be blessed (Gal. 3:8) It was just that "good news", it wasn't the gospel of Christ, although it is there that the scriptural foundation for Him is found.

I'm sorry brother, this is an area of Bible study and understanding where you appear to be lacking. Look at John 8:56-58, Hebrews 7, and Genesis 14 again.

And you can't only use Paul's declaration of the mystery on this point either, since Christ was foreordained to come before the foundation of this world (Matt.25:34; Eph.1:1-12).

What was the gospel preached by Christ? Simply, the "good news" that the kingdom of heaven was at hand. Christ lived and died and taught under the law. The "good news" He preached was different than what God tasked Paul to preach.

That's a false idea that originated from Dispensationalism of the 1800's. And today it's an idea that's evolved into the Hyper-Dispensationalist doctrines of men. It has led to a false separation between God's Israel and Christ's Church where no such Biblical separation exists.

What was the gospel preached by Paul? Simply, the "good news" that salvation is now available to the gentiles, Christ fulfilled the law, His death as our sacrifice opened the door to many blessings, thereby we only have to live by grace and faith and Christ's summary of the ten commandments to two. Not the whole 613 laws the jews needed to abide by.

You're grasping, since bringing in the subject of the Old Covenant and law is not the point. The Promise was given to Abraham 430 years prior to the giving of the law. In other words, The Gospel predates Israel and the Old Covenant, since the Promise was first given through Abraham while Israel was still in Abraham's loins; Paul covered that point.

When you consider what the definition of gospel is, it can mean many things. It is a gospel to me when the Pats win the super bowl, or at the birth of my children and grandchildren. The announcement was gospel, "good news".

It is defined by God's Word, not by men's doctrines of Dispensationalism. The Gospel of Jesus Christ begins in the Book of Genesis and continues throughout Revelation. Isaiah, who was given the specific prophecy of Christ being born of a virgin was not even the first revelation of The Gospel, since the Promise to Abraham predated even Isaiah. And the idea of the Kingdom and inheritance of the land and of many peoples cannot be separated from it. Otherwise you have just a Salvation of one's spirit with none other substance to go with it.