The hereafter ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nice. i said earlier that a Jew could not convict you, but this convicts me to say that that is not entirely true, either. While both--really i guess all three--groups are very legalist, this is most apparent among the devout; but being Anarchist i fairly strictly avoided the devout anyway, and i am also humbled by many of the practices of the 'lapsed' Jews as well, even if many other practices are maddening.
And what will legalism get a person in any one of the three groups [Christianity, Judaism and Islam] which look favorably back to Abraham as part of their beginnings? In all cases God is looking at the heart while many people among all three of those groups are looking to see what they can see wrong in the other guy. I purposely do not separate the Christians from the other two. I also do not separate myself from them.

a point i wanted to make here though is that about as many Jews and Muslims go to an institutional worship setting now as we do; most would be considered 'lapsed.' Which i know this is bemoaned by many, but imo it is a virtual Diaspora, and i see many parallels to the veil being rent, top to bottom, in this. If 'institutional church' reps 'the hereafter,' which imo is a fair characterization, then it is encouraging to see the last paragraph of your link quote being walked out by the lapsed.
Almost everyone I have observed is more concerned with their own doctrines, and "I am right" and "you are wrong", than in God's love. When I do this, then I am certainly also in error. God keeps us all from this error.

This is the confusion of the hereafter for many. It is no real future at all. Without real Life, which in so many places designated as Christian does not seem to exist at all, who would or should look for a hereafter? So eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you die.

"All good deeds that are prompted by hope of happiness in the next world cease to be moral." Mahatma Gandhi

imo we are witness to nothing less than the death of legalism here; or at least a big overcoming of it.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:22-23

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am surprised to say the least that by googling[the afterlife by Judaism]you have produced what you have - twinc

like the Jews all split, divided, fragmented, confused, don't know but certain they do - twinc
I guess this means that you are not. Why am I not surprised?

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

I am not surprised you claim to know more than I do and even more than John MacArthur or even the Church - but of course I am getting it all wrong again - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not surprised you claim to know more than I do and even more than John MacArthur or even the Church - but of course I am getting it all wrong again - twinc
Ah now you would put words into my mouth. I have never claimed to know more than you or this John MacArthur.

What I and others were hoping was that you would answer your own question expressed in the OP. I did not know nor do I now know the answer. Presumably you do, but if so you are unwilling to share it and you are not even willing to tell us why we should be interested in the answer. The world really does not have either you or me at its center.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

oh for sure I am as I do not have the Holy Spirit to inspire and guide me but only the Church to mislead me and thousands of others - the Catholic Church is full of uninspired foolish paedophiles and sinners etc - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Ah now you would put words into my mouth. I have never claimed to know more than you or this John MacArthur.

What I and others were hoping was that you would answer your own question expressed in the OP. I did not know nor do I now know the answer. Presumably you do, but if so you are unwilling to share it and you are not even willing to tell us why we should be interested in the answer. The world really does not have either you or me at its center.

sorry - I am supposed to ask and answer my own questions - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry - I am supposed to ask and answer my own questions - twinc
When you are the only one with the answers, who else can? Who else should?
People kept asking Jesus questions. Sometimes they were intended to trip him, but they never succeeded in that. Jesus also asked questions and provided answers when they made a difference. Does your question in the OP make a difference? If it does, why would you not want to share the answer? No one here, I believe, is trying to trip you. We would really like to know at least why you think it is important.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
When you are the only one with the answers, who else can? Who else should?
People kept asking Jesus questions. Sometimes they were intended to trip him, but they never succeeded in that. Jesus also asked questions and provided answers when they made a difference. Does your question in the OP make a difference? If it does, why would you not want to share the answer? No one here, I believe, is trying to trip you. We would really like to know at least why you think it is important.

firstly you and I must realise and accept we are not Jesus or God or Popes or inspired by the Holy Spirit - just see for yourself Jesus asks the question but does not answer it Himself and also notice exactly who is inspired and answers for all the others and also notice who all the others are and not inspired in 'Who do men say that I am' - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
firstly you and I must realise and accept we are not Jesus or God or Popes or inspired by the Holy Spirit - just see for yourself Jesus asks the question but does not answer it Himself and also notice exactly who is inspired and answers for all the others and also notice who all the others are and not inspired in 'Who do men say that I am' - twinc
OK twinc, I will then leave it alone. I understand your final point, but you never made a point one way or the other with regard to your original question.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
After dealing with twinc for so long, I should not be so ignorant as to get caught up in something that I have never anyone unravel. God help me!
After dealing with twinc for so long, I should not be so ignorant as to get caught up in something that I have never anyone unravel. God help me!

so sorry - may God help you and me - twinc

Reactions: amadeus