The Holy Sacrament is Spiritual

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you don't literally eat Jesus. That's not the point of John 6 either. The point of the bible was that Adam and Eve sinned and fell into death. A sacrifice was needed to atone for those sins. Just as the lamb was sacrificed and ate, so is Jesus the sacrifice and Lamb of God. This is why he said he is the bread and wine. Our bodies will consumed Jesus' eternal life in a sense of the way. That is why Jesus chose those words. He will join our bodies to his in the resurrection. And his body will bring the resurrected eternal life. That is what he meant. He will join us spiritually with him, and physically.
yes

As Paul said, we were baptized into Christ

its not a sacrament, or tradition. it is the work of God.. totally

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In this life we will die. When joined with Jesus in Heaven we will live forever.
You are not understanding what eternal life is. Jesus says we HAVE eternal life by entering INTO Him. A new body is future...but eternal life is NOW...always NOW.

You are confusing an eternal life (we enter into by abiding in Christ) with a length of time. But eternal life has no time...otherwise it isn't eternal.

It isn't rational to think that eternal life only begins some time in the future.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

That shows that they continued in the breaking of bread and giving the sacrament.
Sharing bread doesn't mean the sacrament. It means eating together.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sharing bread doesn't mean the sacrament. It means eating together.
It doesn't saying eating bread. It says breaking of bread. You only break bread from Jesus' teachings. I didn't get that incorrect.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the flesh profits nothing then eating the flesh and drinking the blood of the Son of Man is NOT physical...but spiritual.

What is eating His flesh? -----Obeying the commandments of Jesus...DOING what Jesus said to do. Turning the other cheek, loving our enemies...etc. Living by His WORDS.

What is drinking His blood? -----Living in His life. The life is in the blood. Letting go our lives to be translated into Him.

John 6 also shows us that eating and drinking Jesus is the same as abiding in Him and Him abiding in us.

John 6: 56 He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, dwells in me, and I in him.

We are called to not only hear the word but also obey the word. That is what it means to EAT His flesh.

In order to drink His blood...or...partake of His life, we need to enter INTO Him WHERE He is.
you are so focused on works and self.

This is NOT what it means

Peter said what it means, We have come to know and believe YOU ARE THE CHRIST

Eating the flesh and drinking is to eat the bread of life. which is the cross.

It has nothing to do with how good we are or what we do.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said He was the manna/bread/food from heaven, you think he meant the cross…?
As in, I am the cross sent from heaven…?
He even said when breaking the bread, this is my body, NOT this is My cross.
c’mon, youre just making stuff up now! :oops:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you are so focused on works and self.

This is NOT what it means

Peter said what it means, We have come to know and believe YOU ARE THE CHRIST

It has nothing to do with how good we are or what we do.
I give a thoughtful and deeply biblical answer that takes in to account both testaments and you respond with eating a cross?

In your quest to destroy adult responsibility, you seem to have left out party hats and sparklers... :rolleyes:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MATTHEW 5 KJV

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you,THAT EXCEPT YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees, YE SHALL IN NO CASE ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

Can we do to MUCH to follow God/ Christ ? The above script tells us OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS must exceed that of the scribes / Pharisees, but I give unto you this.
Screenshot_20230313-104648~2.png
Screenshot_20230313-104741~2.png

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I give a thoughtful and deeply biblical answer that takes in to account both testaments and you respond with eating a cross?

In your quest to destroy adult responsibility, you seem to have left out party hats and sparklers... :rolleyes:
You give answers based on your legalistic mindset.

I just take Jesus words for what he meant

why is the cross such a failure to you? How has jesus failed so much you think you have to add your work to the cross?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
MATTHEW 5 KJV

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you,THAT EXCEPT YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees, YE SHALL IN NO CASE ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

Can we do to MUCH to follow God/ Christ ? The above script tells us OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS must exceed that of the scribes / Pharisees, but I give unto you this.

View attachment 30362
You say "unto" us a better way of understanding than Jesus? By misquoting Paul? Delusions aside, Jesus doesn't say..."unless you CLAIM to have a greater righteousness than the Pharisees". Righteous is as righteous does. Jesus said that we are to have reality and truth in what we say and do.

That is NOT being encouraged in many religious circles. What IS being encouraged is to emulate the Pharisees ( and even surpass them in arrogant assumptions and presumptions) in claiming to be righteous because of one's beliefs. Even claiming to be as righteous as God. That kind of hypocrisy far exceeds the pretending of the Pharisees of old.

So then we are not to be LESS righteous than the Pharisees. But claiming to be as righteous as God makes one even LESS righteous than the ones who only claimed to be as righteous as Moses.

People are falling for a trick of the devil...because they are unlearned and unwise...and reject knowledge and understanding.

Hosea 4:6​

“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.”

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MATTHEW 5 KJV

View attachment 30360
View attachment 30362

The Pharisees & scribes thought in themselves to do, having the cup cleaned outside WHERE MEN SEE , yet we are instructed that NOTHING, NO AMOUNT OF OUR works can make us righteous! It is as filthy rags.

Our righteousness comes through, by and "IN" CHRIST, not ourselves or what we do !

We walk, live, breath & have "OUR" being in him. Works profit nothing but faith can turn mountains into molehills.
Obedience is a command & his commands must be kept to profit the soul!

Do not be ignorant for who knows but............that THIS DAY THY SOUL SHALL BE REQUIRED OF THEE!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Pharisees & scribes thought in themselves to do, having the cup cleaned outside WHERE MEN SEE , yet we are instructed that NOTHING, NO AMOUNT OF OUR works can make us righteous! It is as filthy rags.
The Pharisees made a pretense of appearing righteous before men. That doesn't mean that there are no righteous people. It's when we get religious that we put on a show. A lot of people do that same thing with Christianity...claiming to be righteous because of beliefs. A religious bent destroys righteousness in any form. The righteous don't think they are righteous...but God does.

Our righteousness comes through, by and "IN" CHRIST, not ourselves or what we do !
Only those who abide in Christ are covered by God's righteousness. So then technically...what you are saying is true. However, that's not what Jesus meant when He said "your" righteousness. Everyone will be judged by their own righteousness...by their works.

We walk, live, breath & have "OUR" being in him.
IF (big IF) we have been permitted access to the narrow walk in Christ.

Works profit nothing but faith can turn mountains into molehills.
Obedience is a command & his commands must be kept to profit the soul!

Do not be ignorant for who knows but............that THIS DAY THY SOUL SHALL BE REQUIRED OF THEE!
Obedience is on 2 levels. What we do and what God does through us.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A man's righteousness is downward....how humble, honest, broken, and selfless he is. God's righteousness is upward...exalted into heaven.

When a person tries to appear righteous, he is trying to exalt himself....doing what only God can do. So then he loses personal righteousness in trying to escape debasement. By claiming to be as righteous as God, one becomes the least righteous person on earth. It's better to claim to be a fool.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A man's righteousness is downward....how humble, honest, broken, and selfless he is. God's righteousness is upward...exalted into heaven.

When a person tries to appear righteous, he is trying to exalt himself....doing what only God can do. So then he loses personal righteousness in trying to escape debasement. By claiming to be as righteous as God, one becomes the least righteous person on earth. It's better to claim to be a fool.
Only God is good, Jesus taught us that. Man can act righteous but he is not. We follow the Holy Spirit to act in God's righteousness.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen

No place in john 6 did Jesus tell us to do works. Or be good..

He said the same thing he did in john 3. He who believes in him will never die..
There are other places in the bible well he tells us to do good works. Works meet for repentance. And he tells us that we follow Christ. When Christ was risen with the Father and shared the Comforter with us he also directs us to good works. Although our works won't save us, they show God that we are repenting of our wicked ways.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are other places in the bible well he tells us to do good works. Works meet for repentance. And he tells us that we follow Christ. When Christ was risen with the Father and shared the Comforter with us he also directs us to good works. Although our works won't save us, they show God that we are repenting of our wicked ways.
A person who trusts. Someone else. Will try to be like them. Because they really trust them

A person who says they trust someone, but never does anything they do. Or does not even listen to that person does not really have faith in that person. It’s a claimed or dead faith.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking this poster to not address my post or comments again. I'll do the same to yours. Thnx
Screenshot_20230313-114934~2.png

Reactions: amigo de christo