The Holy Sacrament is Spiritual

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I watch online Mass and struggled with the Sacrament always feeling it is thru the spirit that it manifests. And when I read John Chapter 6 it confirmed to me that the bread and wine is symbolic of the body and blood of Christ our Lord. But the sacrement isn't a physical manifestation of our Lord. He blesses us thru the Holy Spirit, the Quickening Spirit to bring us eternal life.

Recomend reading all of John chapter 6. Thoughts?

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We receive the Holy Spirit as a companion when we are baptized and prayed over with the laying on of hands. That is the case for most people. And it is the Holy Spirit, and Jesus' Quickening Spirit in that that brings us eternal life thru the Sacrament.

God's Spirit can affect the physical realm and create miracles. He exists in heaven, but His Spirit exists everywhere. We know from Genesis that God's spirit moved on the waters to create the Universe. And his spirit is still in the Universe.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We receive the Holy Spirit as a companion when we are baptized and prayed over with the laying on of hands. That is the case for most people. And it is the Holy Spirit, and Jesus' Quickening Spirit in that that brings us eternal life thru the Sacrament.

God's Spirit can affect the physical realm and create miracles. He exists in heaven, but His Spirit exists everywhere. We know from Genesis that God's spirit moved on the waters to create the Universe. And his spirit is still in the Universe.
We receive the Holy Spirit when we believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior who was killed as punishment for our sins. Baptism, the laying on of hands, and the sacrament of bread and wine are rites, but not necessary for salvation or eternal life.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
John 6:53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.

Thoughts?

If you "ate the Son of Man, and Drank His blood" , according to a Water CULT's theology, then Jesus would have cut a piece of meat off his body and let that blood from that wound drip into a cup.
He would have then had all them chew on his flesh and swallow a piece, and drink His blood, literally., at the Last Supper.

However, as the OT prohibits drinking blood and eating other people, then Christ's "body and blood" is something else, and receiving it is : 2 fold.

1.) Christ on the Cross is the DIRECT way that God offers Salvation, as the body and death of Jesus, as this is the BLOOD Atonement....Literally.

2.) When you BELIEVE the Gospel, you are eating it, as the word of God is spiritual food, Jesus is the BREAD of LIfe.... and to believe the Gospel, is to partake of it : by FAITH.

Later, after you've done that, and are born again.... you are to take communion, as Christ said to do this often "in remembrance" of the LITERAL Body and Blood that was given as The Cross of Christ as your and for your Eternal REDEMPTION.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We receive the Holy Spirit when we believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior who was killed as punishment for our sins. Baptism, the laying on of hands, and the sacrament of bread and wine are rites, but not necessary for salvation or eternal life.

I agree with your second paragraph.
Yes I know some people think that what the Lord told us to do is not necessary. I disagree with that.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

I watch online Mass and struggled with the Sacrament always feeling it is thru the spirit that it manifests. And when I read John Chapter 6 it confirmed to me that the bread and wine is symbolic of the body and blood of Christ our Lord. But the sacrement isn't a physical manifestation of our Lord. He blesses us thru the Holy Spirit, the Quickening Spirit to bring us eternal life.

The so-called holy sacrament is an invention of the Roman Catholic Church which you won't find in scripture.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Later, after you've done that, and are born again.... you are to take communion, as Christ said to do this often "in remembrance" of the LITERAL Body and Blood that was given as The Cross of Christ as your and for your Eternal REDEMPTION.
He would not tell you to take that which is forbidden in law.

Reactions: Jim B

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sacrament cannot do anything for you because it is a man made invention
The sacrament was talked about already in the bible and re-enforced later in the bible. It's part of God giving us eternal life.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read john 6 it is not a sacrament at all. Jesus is telling them not to look for physical food. But spiritual food. Which one can eat and not die

what is the food? it is the words, the spirit gives life. The words I speak are spirit and life

he is telling them to listen to his message.. That is the most important message in history.. for it can make you free and give you life eternal.

he who believes is not condemned,,

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He would not tell you to take that which is forbidden in law.
Acts 2:46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,

That shows that they continued in the breaking of bread and giving the sacrament.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read john 6 it is not a sacrament at all. Jesus is telling them not to look for physical food. But spiritual food. Which one can eat and not die

what is the food? it is the words, the spirit gives life. The words I speak are spirit and life

he is telling them to listen to his message.. That is the most important message in history.. for it can make you free and give you life eternal.

he who believes is not condemned,,
It's totally about the sacrament. If you can't see that then you missed the whole message of John 6.

Jesus is the real sacrament. He is the bread and wine. That's the message of John 6.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's totally about the sacrament. If you can't see that then you missed the whole message of John 6.

Jesus is the real sacrament. He is the bread and wine. That's the message of John 6.
It’s not something you eat. It’s bnot a sacrament where you break bread and drink wine. Thats not what jesus was talking about in John 6.

there where the Eucharistic churches misrepresent john 6. And make God a liar..

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not something you eat. It’s bnot a sacrament where you break bread and drink wine. Thats not what jesus was talking about in John 6.

there where the Eucharistic churches misrepresent john 6. And make God a liar..
No you don't literally eat Jesus. That's not the point of John 6 either. The point of the bible was that Adam and Eve sinned and fell into death. A sacrifice was needed to atone for those sins. Just as the lamb was sacrificed and ate, so is Jesus the sacrifice and Lamb of God. This is why he said he is the bread and wine. Our bodies will consumed Jesus' eternal life in a sense of the way. That is why Jesus chose those words. He will join our bodies to his in the resurrection. And his body will bring the resurrected eternal life. That is what he meant. He will join us spiritually with him, and physically.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

If the flesh profits nothing then eating the flesh and drinking the blood of the Son of Man is NOT physical...but spiritual.

What is eating His flesh? -----Obeying the commandments of Jesus...DOING what Jesus said to do. Turning the other cheek, loving our enemies...etc. Living by His WORDS.

What is drinking His blood? -----Living in His life. The life is in the blood. Letting go our lives to be translated into Him.

John 6 also shows us that eating and drinking Jesus is the same as abiding in Him and Him abiding in us.

John 6: 56 He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, dwells in me, and I in him.

We are called to not only hear the word but also obey the word. That is what it means to EAT His flesh.

In order to drink His blood...or...partake of His life, we need to enter INTO Him WHERE He is.

• Love
Reactions: faithfulness

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the flesh profits nothing then eating the flesh and drinking the blood of the Son of Man is NOT physical...but spiritual.

What is eating His flesh? -----Obeying the commandments of Jesus...DOING what Jesus said to do. Turning the other cheek, loving our enemies...etc. Living by His WORDS.

What is drinking His blood? -----Living in His life. The life is in the blood. Letting go our lives to be translated into Him.

John 6 also shows us that eating and drinking Jesus is the same as abiding in Him and Him abiding in us.

John 6: 56 He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, dwells in me, and I in him.

We are called to not only hear the word but also obey the word. That is what it means to EAT His flesh.

In order to drink His blood...or...partake of His life, we need to enter INTO Him WHERE He is.
That is a rationalization of the words of the bible and doesn't appear to reflect my beliefs. Jesus body is powerful and healed many. If joined with his body then we will live eternally. Being joined as Adam and Eve were joined as husband and wife, one flesh. This is what is meant by the parables of the bride and groom of Jesus' teachings. We are joined physically thru the Holy Spirit of God.

The lamb of sacrifice is Jesus.

Reactions: Philip James