The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever given thought to the fact that there was 'no Holy Ghost' in the Old Testament? He was not necessary in the Old Testament because there was no 'Christ in you the hope of glory' to be revealed.

Think on these things Saints - sometimes it's necessary to contemplate what is not written.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever given thought to the fact that there was 'no Holy Ghost' in the Old Testament? He was not necessary in the Old Testament because there was no 'Christ in you the hope of glory' to be revealed.

Think on these things Saints - sometimes it's necessary to contemplate what is not written.
He was still with God, as was Jesus.

Reactions: Truman and soul man

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is very active in the OT. It was the spirit of God who moved upon the waters (Gen 1:2) and is on hand for the emergence of the earth from the Flood waters (Gen 8:1; ruach). The Spirit of the wisdom of God fills the tabernacle’s craftsmen (Ex 31:3). Then there is prophecy. Think of the 70 elders in Sinai: “the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied.“ (Num 11:25) It is the Spirit that brings Ezekiel to the inner court (Ezek 43:5). And what about the Branch? “And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD” (Isa 11:2). Isaiah also writes of “a king,” also widely understood to mean the Messiah, who “shall reign in righteousness” (Isa 32:1), when “the spirit be poured upon us from on high” (32:15) and “the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.” (32:17) Later, “For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring” (Isa 44:3).

These are only some instances.

Last edited:

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is very active in the OT. It was the spirit of God who moved upon the waters (Gen 1:2) and is on hand for the emergence of the earth from the Flood waters (Gen 8:1; ruach). The Spirit of the wisdom of God fills the tabernacle’s craftsmen (Ex 31:3). Then there is prophecy. Think of the 70 elders in Sinai: “the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied.“ (Num 11:25) It is the Spirit that brings Ezekiel to the inner court (Ezek 43:5). And what about the Branch? “And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD” (Isa 11:2). Isaiah also writes of “a king,” also widely understood to mean the Messiah, who “shall reign in righteousness” (Isa 32:1), when “the spirit be poured upon us from on high” (32:15) and “the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.” (32:17) Later, “For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring” (Isa 44:3).

These are only some instances.

Your not understanding the wording - language.

BibleStu

Jul 8, 2021
Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ll bite. What do you think I am not understanding?

The Holy Ghost just is the spirit of God active in the world, right? And that’s how both the OT and the NT represent the spirit of the Lord. We are blessed to live in an age in which, due to the sacrifice of Jesus, we are all able to be guided by this same spirit, if we have faith in him. Was it some other spirit that moved on the waters, filled the tabernacle workmen and the 70 elders, and which was described in prophecy? I think it was the very same spirit.

Reactions: Truman and amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@soul man FYI, interesting reference to the Holy Spirit in 1 Peter 1.11:

"Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your not understanding the wording - language.
"Verwirf mich nicht von deinem Angesicht und nimm deinen heiligen Geist nicht von mir." Psalm 51:11 [Martin Luther]

"Heiligen Geist = Holy Ghost"

Reactions: Nancy

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Give some thought to the whole statement. Full statement was; 'because there was no Christ in you in the Old Testament. The words! Spirit of God or the Spirit of the Lord or whatever reference that is used in the Old Testament is; not in anyway given to reveal Christ in a believer because there was no Christ in you in the Old Testament. You cannot get up in arm's about whether or not you can find the words or terms - Holy Spirit Holy Ghost Spirit of the Lord Spirit of God written in the Old Testament - it is written throughout the Old Testament. That is not the reference made about the Holy Ghost and point; being poured out on the day of Pentecost and being in a completely different office: who has something on that anybody. You cannot compare the two, dig deep there's something there, what is it? That was the reference, not just words. Reference was never made about whether you could find the words Holy Ghost Holy Spirit of the Lord. Reference was in the capacity of the Holy Ghost, you cannot compare the Old and the New no way. There is no work of the Holy Ghost in the Old Testament there is no work of the Father in the Old Testament there is no work of the Son in the Old Testament. Reference made.

We need the Old Testament, to grow and to learn and reference - understanding - and history but you better start with Paul before you go into the Old Testament; find out what's happening. You cannot find out what's happening today - not in the Old Testament. The only way you find out what's happening today is through the Apostle Paul. The church wants to duplicate Moses or keep some law or do something - there's nothing to do to complete an individual in the New Testament; it is finished. 'Believe' - what Paul had to say to the church. But we don't know. We need to keep reading keep searching keep digging because 'it is written.' It is in there to be searched - the believer needs to start with Paul to see and understand the Old Testament; Paul has the message to the born again.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somewhere in the walk of a believer they must decide to; learn to properly be able to by the Spirit - rightly divide the word of truth.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@soul man Interesting passages in Psalm 2 and Psalm 61.1-3:

"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying,

3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man Interesting passages in Psalm 2 and Psalm 61.1-3:

"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying,

3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him."

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

Good scriptures. Where do you find all that :) you always come with good scriptures that pertain to a particular subject.

Last edited:

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands

.. 'not in the OT' ?

the Spirit is a "She" in prophets
- it was She "who took Ezekiel by a lock of his hair" and showed him things around the temple [ch.4-7]

it was She who said deeply sad to God "are you not myLord forever ?", read : husband ,
"and look how the Assyrian [=Adam] destroyed all our precious citadels [=in eden]"

interlinear consistently uses the word 'she'

..Ezekiel describes Her
as "a fire from the waist downward and from the waist upward" ...

HeartNSoul19

Jul 6, 2021
Washington DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit didn't come to be at a certain point in time, however that Spirit being referenced as "The Holy Spirit" may have had a beginning.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's several reasons why you are 100% wrong:

1. All of the OT prophets were able to fulfill their commission because they had the Holy Spirit.

2. In David's repentance prayer, he begged God not to take His Spirit from him like He did Saul(1 Sam. 16:14): "Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me(Psa. 51:11)."

3. Num. 11:25 shows an incident where the 70 chosen elders were confirmed by the Holy Spirit being put in them: "Then the LORD came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was upon him, and placed the same upon the seventy elders; and it happened, when the Spirit rested upon them, that they prophesied, although they never did so again."

4. All of the OT saints will be part of the firstfruits' resurrection because they had the Holy Spirit: "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you(Rom. 8:11)".

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
Here's several reasons why you are 100% wrong:

1. All of the OT prophets were able to fulfill their commission because they had the Holy Spirit.

2. In David's repentance prayer, he begged God not to take His Spirit from him like He did Saul(1 Sam. 16:14): "Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me(Psa. 51:11)."

3. Num. 11:25 shows an incident where the 70 chosen elders were confirmed by the Holy Spirit being put in them: "Then the LORD came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was upon him, and placed the same upon the seventy elders; and it happened, when the Spirit rested upon them, that they prophesied, although they never did so again."

4. All of the OT saints will be part of the firstfruits' resurrection because they had the Holy Spirit: "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you(Rom. 8:11)".

apart from adressing me properly ,
i do not understand why i deserved your rather hostile - and Off - comment .

Read again the theory in OP .

look ; the problem here is not "if Miss showed up in prophets",
but the real problem is that mosyt nowadays NT christians
do not understand what is the concept of the Spirit - of She -
and therefore produce strange answers as you just did .

This is not [exclusively] your mistake ,
but a common Defect in modern christianity : because they do not understand
that the OT has been erased [=corrupted] for their understanding by their archenemy : Esau .
who said
"I will not have Jacob {=adam souls] to know God".

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
addition :
apart from the examples i gave
another chapter - Isaiah - is about Adam ,
where God says to him :
"woe to the one saying to his father and mother : what have you brought forth ..?"
[=look that up]

now --- WHO can be that 'mother' , pray tell ?

another chapter : about 'Joshua getting new clothes'
while Satan next to him accuses him ,
it writes
"how the [144] sons and daughters
will receive their new body
in front of God , Christ and the Spirit [=Miss]"

you need móre quotes ..?

forever

Jul 7, 2021
Kampen
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
if
- and that is , sadly , the case - by the majority of today's modern christians ,
they have little to NO understanding of what God said in prophets ---

wouldn't you think that you could be in acute danger - concerning Revelation ....?

wouldn't you want to STUDY
if it is SURE that 'believing in Christ' would make you escape from that coming hell :

instead of answering with non-lines about this theme ?