The "Israel of God": Who are they?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I tend to believe this is speaking of the believing Jews.

Romans 11:26
And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,
“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
@Nancy : Do you think there is also an element here of a Jewish remnant as seen in Matthew 24?

I guess it all relates to how one reads Scripture in terms of dispensations and the groups mentioned in 1 Cor. 10.32, Jews, Gentiles and the church of God.

Reactions: Nancy

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

They are, in my reading of scriptures, no other than the Christians, both Jewish and Gentile Christians.

They are those whom Peter identified as a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own special people.

They are those whom Paul identified as being children of promise.

They are those whom John described as those born of God.

They are those whom Jesus identified as the sons of the Kingdom.

Etc..

Tong
R0122
Tong,
Isa49:1-8
Jesus is the True Israel.
He is the head, we are the body.
The true Israel is jew and Gentile, one new man In Christ.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I tend to believe this is speaking of the believing Jews.

Romans 11:26
And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,
“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;

Greetings Nancy!

Consider what scriptures says of Israel:

Exodus 19:6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

Deuteronomy 7:6 “For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.

Peter said of the Christians:

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

Tong
R0142

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong,
Isa49:1-8
Jesus is the True Israel.
He is the head, we are the body.
The true Israel is jew and Gentile, one new man In Christ.
That's interesting.

But with regards Gal. 6:16, I think there is a small problem with that, in that Jesus could not be considered here as the one referred to as the Israel of God.

Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

Tong
R0143

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy : Do you think there is also an element here of a Jewish remnant as seen in Matthew 24?

I guess it all relates to how one reads Scripture in terms of dispensations and the groups mentioned in 1 Cor. 10.32, Jews, Gentiles and the church of God.

Yes Farouk, I can see much would depend on their dispensation. And, not sure what "Jewish remnant" you are talking about in Matthew 24. Maybe could be a bit more specific?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes Farouk, I can see much would depend on their dispensation. And, not sure what "Jewish remnant" you are talking about in Matthew 24. Maybe could be a bit more specific?
@Nancy Does not seem to be the church in view. As also in Luke 21, a similar passage; only in Luke 22 when the Lord Jesus institutes the Lord's Supper (tellingly introduced from the context of the passover - subsequently transcended in the dawn of a profoundly new era) does the New Testament in His blood come into view; the context of Luke 21 and Matthew 24 seems to strongly the idea of a future Jewish remnant. (This is how I read these passages.)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings Nancy!

Consider what scriptures says of Israel:

Exodus 19:6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

Deuteronomy 7:6 “For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.

Peter said of the Christians:

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

Tong
R0142

Hello Tong,
I do note there is no "Kingdom rule" in 1 Peter. Also that the children of Israel are a "special treasure above all the peoples of the earth." Whereas, in 1 Peter the subjects seem to be referred to as a chosen "generation"

There are allot of similarities as I can see but, what about Deut. 7:6a? Is there a difference between "peoples and generation" here? Hmmm...

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

They are, in my reading of scriptures, no other than the Christians, both Jewish and Gentile Christians.

They are those whom Peter identified as a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own special people.

They are those whom John described as those born of God.

They are those whom Jesus identified as the sons of the Kingdom.

Etc..

Tong
R0122
In the original Greek, the word Israel appears 70 times in the New Testament. In every one of them, it refers to the descendants of Jacob. In other words, those that are Jews by birth or adoption. It is Hebrew in origin as in Jisrael or Yisrael. It does not indicate non-Jewish Christians.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hello Tong,
I do note there is no "Kingdom rule" in 1 Peter. Also that the children of Israel are a "special treasure above all the peoples of the earth." Whereas, in 1 Peter the subjects seem to be referred to as a chosen "generation"

There are allot of similarities as I can see but, what about Deut. 7:6a? Is there a difference between "peoples and generation" here? Hmmm...

"generation" was the English word used in the version I quoted to translate the Greek word "genos", which carry the senses/meanings of offspring, family, race, nation, kind. In other versions they used the English word "race", others still, use the English word "people". So, I don't think there is much of an issue with that. Besides, it's not really much of the race or generation, but of a people, chosen by God, to be a people for Himself, His own special people, above all the peoples on the face of the earth. That is pretty much what He intended for Israel to be, in keeping with His covenant and promise to Abraham.

Tong
R0145

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
In the original Greek, the word Israel appears 70 times in the New Testament. In every one of them, it refers to the descendants of Jacob. In other words, those that are Jews by birth or adoption. It is Hebrew in origin as in Jisrael or Yisrael. It does not indicate non-Jewish Christians.

Yes, and I don't deny that. But that does not mean that we must necessarily take the word Israel to only refer to that. We can see this in Romans 9 when Paul said concerning Israel, "For they are not all Israel who are of Israel". Even that statement itself alone shows us that we can't take Israel to necessarily mean to refer to the descendants of Jacob. For if that were the case, then that statement of Paul is erroneous and senseless.

Also remember, as had been shown by scriptures, the things of the old covenant, that is, the Mosaic covenant, serves as and are but shadows and types, and are not the realities. The book of Hebrews is a good read regarding this. So, it is not at all surprising that Israel, the ethnic Israel, is but a shadow, and not the reality, which is the Israel of God.

Tong
R0146

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, and I don't deny that. But that does not mean that we must necessarily take the word Israel to only refer to that. We can see this in Romans 9 when Paul said concerning Israel, "For they are not all Israel who are of Israel". Even that statement itself alone shows us that we can't take Israel to necessarily mean to refer to the descendants of Jacob. For if that were the case, then that statement of Paul is erroneous and senseless.

Also remember, as had been shown by scriptures, the things of the old covenant, that is, the Mosaic covenant, serves as and are but shadows and types, and are not the realities. The book of Hebrews is a good read regarding this. So, it is not at all surprising that Israel, the ethnic Israel, is but a shadow, and not the reality, which is the Israel of God.

Tong
R0146
Except for the use of that particular word in Galatians 70 times in the New Testament has the same meaning means that there is no variation for us to interpret it otherwise.

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps, your statement is based on the wrong avoidance theological understanding that you cling to.
Since I am going by what Scripture says, perhaps you are the one with the wrong theological understanding. Romans 11 makes everything quite plain.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since you have limited the term "Israel of God" to only this group, and ignored the fact that the nation of Israel will itself be redeemed and restored after the Second Coming of Christ, that is in fact taking things out of context. That is if you hold to Replacement Theology.

The Church may be called the Israel of God metaphorically, but there will also be an actual nation of Israel on earth settled in the land of greater Israel when the Millennium is established on earth.

Reactions: charity and Nancy

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing, but nothing, serves to divide Christians more dramatically than the 'Bible'.
Maybe Christianity would be better served if a stop could be called at the point where Christ is said (in the 'Bible' ;)) to have returned to His Father's side and sent The Holy spirit to by our guide (presumably in respect of such as we need to know .... and no more).
In order to walk daily 'hand in hand with God' do I need to know who comprises 'The Israel of God', or am I better served by leaving the matter in God's hands?

Reactions: Episkopos and Nancy

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Except for the use of that particular word in Galatians 70 times in the New Testament has the same meaning means that there is no variation for us to interpret it otherwise.
First, there is no ruling coming from scriptures that because a word is used with the same sense most often than not, that whenever it is used it necessarily follows or it is automatic that it is of the same sense.

I have given you another haven't I? Romans 9:6.

Besides I already explained to you the reason why such a position in interpreting "Israel" would be a mistake, which you have not refuted.

You may hold to that position if that is your conviction.

Tong
R0149

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Since you have limited the term "Israel of God" to only this group, and ignored the fact that the nation of Israel will itself be redeemed and restored after the Second Coming of Christ, that is in fact taking things out of context. That is if you hold to Replacement Theology.

The Church may be called the Israel of God metaphorically, but there will also be an actual nation of Israel on earth settled in the land of greater Israel when the Millennium is established on earth.

Why, what other group are you wanting to have the "Israel of God" referred to by Paul in Galatians 6:16, refer to?

If I have ignored your statement about the matter of the nation (ethnic) of Israel as will be redeemed and restored after the Second coming of Christ, is because I don't want to have this thread go out of topic. Wadr, if you want to talk about that topic, you can always make a separate thread on that.

So, I hope we can just limit our conversation within the topic of the thread. Thank you.

Tong
R0150

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'But God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing,
nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
And as many as walk according to this rule,
peace be on them, and mercy,
and upon the Israel of God.'

(Galatians 6:14-16)

Hello @Tong2020,

Is 'the Israel of God' a covering title for all those who were saved during the period covered by the Acts of the Apostles? To judge by the way some use this title, one would judge that it was of frequent occurrence in the New Testament epistles to describe the church. The fact is that this is the only occurrence of the phrase in the New Testament. There is no need here to render the Greek 'kai' as 'even': its normal meaning of 'and' is sufficient - 'and the Israel of God'

There is no Scriptural foundation for using this title as a general title for the church of God today. I believe it refers to Israel in the spirit, in contrast with Israel according to the flesh (Romans 9:6 & Philippians 3:3)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing,
nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Hello @Tong2020,

Is 'the Israel of God' a covering title for all those who were saved during the period covered by the Acts of the Apostles? To judge by the way some use this title, one would judge that it was of frequent occurrence in the New Testament epistles to describe the church. The fact is that this is the only occurrence of the phrase in the New Testament. There is no need here to render the Greek 'kai' as 'even': its normal meaning of 'and' is sufficient - 'and the Israel of God'

There is no Scriptural foundation for using this title as a general title for the church of God today. I believe it refers to Israel in the spirit, in contrast with Israel according to the flesh (Romans 9:6 & Philippians 3:3)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
@charity

Greetings Chris!

Not only does the Israel of God refers to all Christians, but also all those who are children of promise who lived in OT times. And so, that being said, it follows that the title, in a strict sense, could not be used as a general title for the church today, if the church is considered to only refer to them called Christians in the NT times.

I agree that only Paul, among the NT writers, used that and only but once, there in Galatians 6:16.

Yes it may me said as to refer to Israel in the spirit in contrast with Israel according to the flesh, wherein Israel in the spirit includes the Gentile Christians.

Tong
R0153

Reactions: Episkopos

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@charity

Greetings Chris!

Not only does the Israel of God refers to all Christians, but also all those who are children of promise who lived in OT times. And so, that being said, it follows that the title, in a strict sense, could not be used as a general title for the church today, if the church is considered to only refer to them called Christians in the NT times.

I agree that only Paul, among the NT writers, used that and only but once, there in Galatians 6:16.

Yes it may me said as to refer to Israel in the spirit in contrast with Israel according to the flesh, wherein Israel in the spirit includes the Gentile Christians.

Tong
R0153
Hello @Tong2020,

Look at the verse, in it's context. Read exactly what it says,

.. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing,
.... nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Paul says, '...And as many as walk according to this rule ...'. What rule? Is it not that of verses 14-15 (highlighted in red above)? Then he continues,'... peace be on them, and mercy ....' and then he adds, ' ... AND upon the Israel of God'. If Paul was referring to ALL the Christian community when he used the phrase, 'the Israel of God', then why should he use the word 'and' before that phrase? Why does he differentiate between:- 'as many as walk according to this rule', and 'the Israel of God'? For whom he desired mercy and peace.

[I have deleted the rest of this post, because it was my own reasoning, and I need to confirm it]

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy