The "Israel of God": Who are they?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hello @Tong2020,

Look at the verse, in it's context. Read exactly what it says,

'But God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

.. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing,
.... nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
And as many as walk according to this rule,
peace be on them, and mercy,

and upon the Israel of God.'
(Galatians 6:14-16)

Paul says, '...And as many as walk according to this rule ...'. What rule? Is it not that of verses 14-15 (highlighted in red above)? Then he continues,'... peace be on them, and mercy ....' and then he adds, ' ... AND upon the Israel of God'. If Paul was referring to ALL the Christian community when he used the phrase, 'the Israel of God', then why should he use the word 'and' before that phrase? Why does he differentiate between:- 'as many as walk according to this rule', and 'the Israel of God'?

* I believe the reason this distinction is made here, is because the Israel which is of God, could not be included in the words,
'as many as walk according to this rule', for it was incumbent upon any Jew to be circumcised, not for righteousness sake, but in order to keep the covenant made between God and Abraham and his seed (Genesis 17:11). Peace and mercy was the desire of Paul for all within the believing community. Both Jew and Gentile. But the Israel of God, though part of the believing community, could not walk according to this rule where circumcision was concerned, and so Paul makes a distinction between them in this case.

That is why Paul says, regarding,
'peace' and 'mercy':- 'AND upon the Israel of God'

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

I agree with you that the rule spoken of by Paul was that of verses 14-15 (highlighted in red in your post above).

Yes, there seems to be two groups, but not really two groups of two different people. The "them" refers specifically to all such persons, be they Jews or Gentiles, circumcised or uncircumcised, who walk according to the rule that Paul there speaks of, and the "Israel of God", is a further description of those persons, for whom he prays for peace and mercy, as pointing to Israel, identifying them as what is known of Israel to be, that is, God's chosen people. It is not to be taken as a distinction from them, for besides no necessity is suggested by the context, they are not in any way distinct from it for they belong to it. Besides, as with regards the Christians, here's what Paul said "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." So, it is far from Paul to make a distinction of that sort here. In line with the context, I believe Paul's saying "and upon the Israel of God" ~ has something to do with the vain boasting of the Judaizers, specifically those he mentioned in verses 12-13, who brag and boast of being the descendants of Abraham according to the flesh (Israelites). It's sort of an indirect ridicule to them.

Tong
R0155

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

They are, in my reading of scriptures, no other than the Christians, both Jewish and Gentile Christians.

They are those whom Peter identified as a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own special people.

They are those whom Paul identified as being children of promise.

They are those whom John described as those born of God.

They are those whom Jesus identified as the sons of the Kingdom.

Etc..

Tong
R0122
I am a bit picky about use of the word Jewish. The Jew is of the tribe of Judea. Israel covers all the tribes, including children of Judea. So the children of Israel make up the majority of the first Christians. Gentiles have become Christians also.

Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Isaac had two boys, Esau and Jacob, God later renamed Jacob, Israel. Jacob's boys became the tribes of Israel.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Israel is those whom are covered by the Atonement of God on the cross of God.

The whole world period.

Now any one who thinks that they are saved by their own works are excused from Israel to follow Satan to eternal damnation. This group of people who extracted themselves from Israel after the cross, and all those who rejected being "of" Israel before the Cross far out number those who God claims as Israel. It is death, and the condition of our soul at that point and that point alone that God makes any determination of a fact. Does God save at the Great White Throne? We are not told, because we are to figure that out in life, not death.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with you that the rule spoken of by Paul was that of verses 14-15 (highlighted in red in your post above).

Yes, there seems to be two groups, but not really two groups of two different people. The "them" refers specifically to all such persons, be they Jews or Gentiles, circumcised or uncircumcised, who walk according to the rule that Paul there speaks of, and the "Israel of God", is a further description of those persons, for whom he prays for peace and mercy, as pointing to Israel, identifying them as what is known of Israel to be, that is, God's chosen people. It is not to be taken as a distinction from them, for besides no necessity is suggested by the context, they are not in any way distinct from it for they belong to it. Besides, as with regards the Christians, here's what Paul said "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." So, it is far from Paul to make a distinction of that sort here. In line with the context, I believe Paul's saying "and upon the Israel of God" ~ has something to do with the vain boasting of the Judaizers, specifically those he mentioned in verses 12-13, who brag and boast of being the descendants of Abraham according to the flesh (Israelites). It's sort of an indirect ridicule to them.

Tong
R0155
Hello @Tong2020,

Thank you for responding. I am glad that you have understood my meaning. However, I do believe that in regard to the 'rule' recorded in Galatians 6:14-15 that a distinction on Paul's part was necessary.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is the israel of God in Rom 11. Those who are blinded in part. but shall all be saved?

is this the same Israel of God as found in the passage you used (gal 6)

Matthew 23:38-39 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. [39] For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

Tong
R0155
Hello @Tong2020,

Thank you for responding. I am glad that you have understood my meaning. However, I do believe that in regard to the 'rule' concerning circumcision, recorded in Galatians 6:14-15 that a distinction on Paul's part was necessary for the reason I gave in reply#40.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

I respect your decision Chris. We have our reasons. It is the Holy Spirit who will lead the child of God in all truths, in His time. Be that to me or you, I pray that that time comes sooner than later, to the glory of God. It's always a joy in knowing Divine truths.

By the way, what exactly do you understand the "rule" to be, that Paul was referring to there in the passage?

Tong
R0156

Reactions: Nancy and charity

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Chris
Sorry for my cynicism but there seems to me to be at least 14 different 'versions' of the 'verbally inerrant' New Testament regarding the vital importance of the word 'and' in Galatians 6:16.

EHV Peace and mercy on those who follow this rule, namely, on the Israel of God.

GW Peace and mercy will come to rest on all those who conform to this principle. They are the Israel of God.

ICB Peace and mercy to those who follow this rule—to all of God’s people.

PHILLIPS Yet God forbid that I should boast about anything or anybody except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which means that the world is a dead thing to me and I am a dead man to the world. But in Christ it is not circumcision or uncircumcision that counts but the power of new birth. To all who live by this principle, to the true Israel of God, may there be peace and mercy!

TLB May God’s mercy and peace be upon all of you who live by this principle and upon those everywhere who are really God’s own.

NOG Peace and mercy will come to rest on all those who conform to this principle. They are the Israel of God.

NIRV May peace and mercy be given to all who follow this rule. May peace and mercy be given to the Israel that belongs to God.

NIV Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.

NIVUK Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule – to the Israel of God.

NLV Those who follow this way will have God’s peace and loving-kindness. They are the people of God.

NLT May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.

TPT And all those who live in agreement with this standard will have true peace and God’s delight, for they are the Israel of God.

RSV Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God.

RSVCE Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God.

WE May all who live by this rule have peace. And may God bless them. They are the true people of Israel and they belong to God.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 23:38-39 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. [39] For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
These passage speak of current times when Jesus walked the earth

Rom 11 spoke of a future event, when something would occur

so can you explain what yo mean by these verses. I am not sure i understand

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These passage speak of current times when Jesus walked the earth

Rom 11 spoke of a future event, when something would occur

so can you explain what yo mean by these verses. I am not sure i understand

Flesh persecutes the Spirit “till you say blessed is He that comes in His name” and not cursed.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so Is all Israel in romans 11 Israel proper. or all Chritians jew or gentile?

Colossians 3:10-14 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: [11] Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. [12] Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; [13] Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. [14] And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I respect your decision Chris. We have our reasons. It is the Holy Spirit who will lead the child of God in all truths, in His time. Be that to me or you, I pray that that time comes sooner than later, to the glory of God. It's always a joy in knowing Divine truths.

By the way, what exactly do you understand the "rule" to be, that Paul was referring to there in the passage?

Tong
R0156
But God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the world is crucified unto me,
and I unto the world.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing,
nor uncircumcision,
but a new creature.
And as many as walk according to this rule,
peace be on them, and mercy,
and upon the Israel of God.'

(Galatians 6:14-16)

Hello @Tong2020,

I do thank God for your gracious response. You ask what I understand the 'rule' to be that Paul was referring to in Galatians 6:15-16?

*Men (Judaizers) had infiltrated the ranks of believers in Galatia, seeking to take away their liberty and bring them into captivity to the law. They told them that it was necessary that they should be circumcised. Paul in the verses leading up to this makes clear the motives of these men: that they wished to glory in their flesh (Galatians 6:13b). This is why Paul said in verse 14, 'but God forbid that I should glory' - 'save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ' - 'by Whom the world is crucified unto me' - 'and I unto the world.'

* These men had a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge: being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit themselves unto the righteousness of God, for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes (Romans 10:1-4). A new creation is all that will suffice, in Christ Jesus.

* Our glory must be in the cross of Christ, and say with Paul, 'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.'(Galatians 2:20-21)

* The rule is as stated in Galatians 6:14-16,
'For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.'

* Please forgive me for rambling, I am getting tired.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 3:10-14 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: [11] Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. [12] Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; [13] Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. [14] And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
so why will you not answer my question?

Thats alright.. I know why

Good day sir

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Chris
Sorry for my cynicism but there seems to me to be at least 14 different 'versions' of the 'verbally inerrant' New Testament regarding the vital importance of the word 'and' in Galatians 6:16.

EHV Peace and mercy on those who follow this rule, namely, on the Israel of God.
GW Peace and mercy will come to rest on all those who conform to this principle. They are the Israel of God.
ICB Peace and mercy to those who follow this rule—to all of God’s people.
PHILLIPS Yet God forbid that I should boast about anything or anybody except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which means that the world is a dead thing to me and I am a dead man to the world. But in Christ it is not circumcision or uncircumcision that counts but the power of new birth. To all who live by this principle, to the true Israel of God, may there be peace and mercy!
TLB May God’s mercy and peace be upon all of you who live by this principle and upon those everywhere who are really God’s own.
NOG Peace and mercy will come to rest on all those who conform to this principle. They are the Israel of God.
NIRV May peace and mercy be given to all who follow this rule. May peace and mercy be given to the Israel that belongs to God.
NIV Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.
NIVUK Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule – to the Israel of God.
NLV Those who follow this way will have God’s peace and loving-kindness. They are the people of God.
NLT May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.
TPT And all those who live in agreement with this standard will have true peace and God’s delight, for they are the Israel of God.
RSV Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God.
RSVCE Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God.
WE May all who live by this rule have peace. And may God bless them. They are the true people of Israel and they belong to God.

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/gal6.pdf

Hello @Mike Waters,

With respect, these are all translations: as is the KJV from which Bible I took my reading; so I have looked up the original Greek which agrees with the KJV:-

'And as many as walk according to this rule,
peace [be] on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.'

So I will stand by that version in regard to this.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting.

But with regards Gal. 6:16, I think there is a small problem with that, in that Jesus could not be considered here as the one referred to as the Israel of God.

Galatians 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

Tong
R0143
Those believers in gal6...the body, Jesus the head.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
peace [be] on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.'

Isaiah 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord ; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

John 14:27-28 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. [28] Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Reactions: charity

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was the question?
Who is the "all Israel" spoken of in Rom 11

25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Since I can hardly recall an occasion when contributors do not "stand by their convictions" I conclude that either:
1) All are wrong.
2) All except one are wrong.

Hands up those who think they are the exception.
(Whoops, I overlooked the likelihood that all hands will be raised)