The Journey in the Wilderness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the books of the Torah to learn what you have not grasped. For over 1,500 years God required dead sacrifices according to His very detailed and strict requirements. We read about living sacrifices only after the finished work of Christ. Or are you denying that He died on the cross for your sins and mine? And are you denying the connection between the animal sacrifices as types of the sacrifice of Christ?

Did I say it, or was I quoting scripture?

Sacrifices were not Gods DESIRE, which makes sense..

He used them, obviously -duh - since animal sacrifices were the foreshadow of Jesus’ sacrifice of Himself - Christianity 101 - BUT THEY WERE NOT WHAT HE WANTED, but what He used to accomplish what was necessary if mankind was to be redeemed.

Do you think God desired to do that, or just used them for His purpose, because Adam screwed up in the garden?

Maranatha

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the books of the Torah to learn what you have not grasped. For over 1,500 years God required dead sacrifices according to His very detailed and strict requirements. We read about living sacrifices only after the finished work of Christ. Or are you denying that He died on the cross for your sins and mine? And are you denying the connection between the animal sacrifices as types of the sacrifice of Christ?

I think you are well aware I’m not denying He died on the cross for your sins and mine. But for some reason it seems easier if that were the case, then you could justify how you speak down to me at every turn as not being a sister.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was not addressing you in that post. And God did clearly make sacrifices and offerings a part of the Old Covenant.
Yes, Matthew Henry calls them Legal Sacrifices because they were required under Mosaic Law, but they were defective because:
  • it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins
  • they were not of sufficient value as, nor of similar nature to the offenders they were offered on behalf of
  • they did not consent, nor were they capable of voluntary substitution in the sinners stead.

V. There was a time fixed and foretold by the great God, and that time had now come, when these legal sacrifices would be no longer accepted by him nor useful to men. God never did desire them for themselves, and now he abrogated them; and therefore to adhere to them now would be resisting God and rejecting him. This time of the repeal of the Levitical laws was foretold by David (Psa_40:6, Psa_40:7), and is recited here as now come. Thus industriously does the apostle lay low the Mosaical dispensation. [ Matthew Henry: Heb 10:1-6 ]

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, Matthew Henry calls them Legal Sacrifices because they were required under Mosaic Law, but they were defective because
We are not debating whether they were effective or defective. We are being told that God did not need animal sacrifices (contrary to Scripture). Of course, they were there only temporarily, but they were absolutely required.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We are not debating whether they were effective or defective. We are being told that God did not need animal sacrifices (contrary to Scripture). Of course, they were there only temporarily, but they were absolutely required.
I'm not debating, simply informing for edification. There is no call to debate, rather opening of ears.

David prophesied of a time when God would not desire or require sacrifice because of His Son's desire to do His Will as the Mediator of the New Covenant.

Psa 40:6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; My ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was not addressing you in that post. And God did clearly make sacrifices and offerings a part of the Old Covenant.

But it wasn’t his desire - it was what was necessary to redeem fallen man.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, the journey in the wilderness...
There were no animal sacrifices prior to Moses bringing the children out of Egypt.
However, Moses told Pharaoh that they wanted to go three days journey to sacrifice to their God.
He also told Pharaoh that what they would be sacrificing would be an abomination to the Egyptians.
What abomination is that?

The first time abomination is referenced in the Bible is when Joseph sets a meal down before his brothers.
Gen 43:32 And they set on for him by himself, and for them by themselves, and for the Egyptians, which did eat with him, by themselves: because the Egyptians might not eat bread with the Hebrews; for that is an abomination unto the Egyptians.

fast forward to the book of Acts and we see Peter doing the exact same thing with the Gentiles... interesting how things work like that.
anywhoo..

So Hebrews and Egyptians.. the comingling of the seeds, eating bread.. (what does that represent in the NT? ) together, was an abomination to whom?
The Egyptians.

So the very idea of abomination is an Egyptian ideology.
No doubt taken with the Hebrews into the wilderness with them.
Some things like habits and upbringing are hard to cast off once you have been redeemed from them.
They have a tendency to become part of the new culture.

This is that enmity between the Jews and Gentiles that was crucified on the cross with Christ.
This Abomination.. the joining together... the neither Jew nor Greek... we are all one.
E Pluribus Unum.

You see what's happening today?
Critical Race theory. The great divide. The division between the races.
The abomination is raising it's head right here in the good ole USA.

Now not only was eating together an abomination, that wasn't far enough.
Now the very shepherds which kept the cattle were an abomination.
(You racist, nazi, bigot, xenephobe, antivaxing, non masking, terrorist) (You know who you are. )
I haven't met one myself, but they say they are everywhere.. so beware.

Gen 46:34 That ye shall say, Thy servants' trade hath been about cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and also our fathers: that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is an abomination unto the Egyptians.

That's sad because it is the Great Shepherd which came to set us all free from bondage to sin.
And the Egyptians considered all shepherds an abomination.
That goes for all you sheep too.

Now when Moses is standing before Pharaoh, he says something interesting:
Exo 8:26 And Moses said, It is not meet so to do; for we shall sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians to the LORD our God: lo, shall we sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians before their eyes, and will they not stone us?

Not only are we sacrificing what.. shepherds? Moses also asks, will we not be stoned?
Now I find a lot of stoning going on in Moses's law... I wonder where he got that idea from?

I'm just wandering around the wilderness that is starting to become a jungle.
I don't believe God wanted animal sacrifices. I don't believe God had a problem with any people.
He made provisions for ANY who wanted to find peace and good pasture to join Him.

I have somewhat to say about Jethro his Midianite Father-in-law, whom I believe had a lot to do with the construction of what we call Moses Law.
And God said, If that's what you want... have at it.
And they created their own bondage with their own laws, and justified their sins by killing innocent animals.

Which is a foreshadowing of mankind justifying their sins by killing GOD.

It's happening again today.
Are you still sleeping?
wakey wakey..

just rambling..
hugs

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There were no animal sacrifices prior to Moses bringing the children out of Egypt.
Hi Ziggy,

I hope you will accept a correction to your statement.
  • The providing of skins to clothe Adam and Eve required animal sacrifice.
Gen 3:21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.
  • The offering to God by Abel required animal sacrifice.
Gen 4:4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the LORD respected Abel and his offering,
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.
  • The practice of animal sacrifice had become established by time God tested Abraham.
Gen 22:13 Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
  • The killing of the Passover lamb first took place before the Exodus, when its future observance was also ordered.
Exo 12:21-24 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel and said to them, "Pick out and take lambs for yourselves according to your families, and kill the Passover lamb. (22) And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin. And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning. (23) For the LORD will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you. (24) And you shall observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever.

Advisedly, folklore should always be investigated for veracity.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you will accept a correction to your statement.
  • The providing of skins to clothe Adam and Eve required animal sacrifice.
Gen 3:21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.
  • The offering to God by Abel required animal sacrifice.

I'm open to anyone's views. I don't think anyone has everything right all the time.
Or even half the time. Maybe no time at all even...
And I just like to ponder things...

So what happens to the skin after it is circumcised I wonder?

For what purpose did God give the covenant of circumcision to Abraham?
I mean, who would ever think of such a thing as cutting off the foreskin of their private member?

Didn't someone have a tunic that was all one piece and wasn't sewn at all?
How you suppose you can have a tunic of skin with no seams?

I know this is kind of out there >>>>>>>
but I just think about things and share what I'm thinking...
I always enjoy listening to other people's thinking too :)

HUGS