The KJV and the modern bible versions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
Re-reading this thread has reaffirmed why I left this forum many months ago.

Nasty people. KJV wolves in sheep's clothing. I am SO glad that I don't go to church with any of these people! :)

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
ffbruce said:
Nasty people. KJV wolves in sheep's clothing. I am SO glad that I don't go to church with any of these people! :)

I am SO GLAD you don't go to church with me, also, ff!

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
jerryjohnson said:
ffbruce said:

Yeah, I think the KJV Only folks WOULD get a little tired of me calling them out on their idolatry.

It would get a little heated - with me constantly calling out the rabid KJV Only folks on their idolatry and arrogance.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
ffbruce said:
jerryjohnson said:
ffbruce said:

Yeah, I think the KJV Only folks WOULD get a little tired of me calling them out on their idolatry.

It would get a little heated - with me constantly calling out the rabid KJV Only folks on their idolatry and arrogance.

Hi there ffbruce, I think you might remember me, but I only have one thing to say here... but how can you be sure of people's heart? How can you be sure if people who rather only read one version are being in idolatry? Can you see people hearts?

This is rather a very ignorant post out of you. Especially calling them wolves is out of line, cause you have no evidence in whatsoever their hearts is on.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
Jordan said:
ffbruce said:
jerryjohnson said:
ffbruce said:

Hi there ffbruce, I think you might remember me, but I only have one thing to say here... but how can you be sure of people's heart? How can you be sure if people who rather only read one version are being in idolatry? Can you see people hearts?

This is rather a very ignorant post out of you. Especially calling them wolves is out of line, cause you have no evidence in whatsoever their hearts is on.

Actually Jordan, I read through this thread again.

In it, there is a person who stated that she stopped reading the KJV because it was being crammed down her throat. One of the KJVO people immediately accused her of back-sliding. Amazing. Simply mind-boggling. Nevermind that the person who stopped reading KJVO is now reading and enjoying several other versions. She's accused of backsliding because she's not worshiping/reading the KJV.

So yes, I'm going to restate my assertion that a LOT of the KJVO people are idolatrous - far more in love with, and worshipful of, the KJV than of Jesus himself. If you cannot see that, it's probably because you're involved in it.

By the way, the only reason that this forum even came to my mind, is because I got an email from the administrator, saying that the format had been changed. So I stopped by to do some reading. Unfortunately, it's still the same old thing. Frankly, it breaks my heart - because I have again seen why so many people choose not to be Christians. It is nonsense like this KJVO stuff that sends people running.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
ffbruce said:
Jordan said:
ffbruce said:
jerryjohnson said:
ffbruce said:

In it, there is a person who stated that she stopped reading the KJV because it was being crammed down her throat. One of the KJVO people immediately accused her of back-sliding. Amazing. Simply mind-boggling. Nevermind that the person who stopped reading KJVO is now reading and enjoying several other versions. She's accused of backsliding because she's not worshiping/reading the KJV.

So yes, I'm going to restate my assertion that a LOT of the KJVO people are idolatrous - far more in love with, and worshipful of, the KJV than of Jesus himself. If you cannot see that, it's probably because you're involved in it.

By the way, the only reason that this forum even came to my mind, is because I got an email from the administrator, saying that the format had been changed. So I stopped by to do some reading. Unfortunately, it's still the same old thing. Frankly, it breaks my heart - because I have again seen why so many people choose not to be Christians. It is nonsense like this KJVO stuff that sends people running.

Well, I may only read one English Bible (KJV), but you will not find me cramming people's throat down. Now I hate how Modern versions do a little twisting here and there, as because they remove some verses and changes some words in other verses.

Just by reading a version alone doesn't make it idolatry. However, there are many movements. You can't blame KJV-Onlyism for everything...

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nasty people. KJV wolves in sheep's clothing. I am SO glad that I don't go to church with any of these people!

With all due respect, did you not just post in a nearly year old thread about the subject to bring it back up?

From an "official" standpoint this website has never said nor crammed any Bible version down anyone's throat. I recommend and honestly prefer a KJV Bible, but I have several others in my library that I frequently use including the NKJV, NASB, and the NIV. If some members believe strongly for the KJV, they have the right to do that as much as you do to disagree.

It seems as though you want to lump everyone into one of two camps: those that agree with you, and those that don't. I guess I don't understand this debate sometimes on both sides; I will not back down from my position that the KJV remains the best Bible of what's available. Beyond that, I don't find it to be a very controversial statement and it seems to be in line with what most are saying here.

I would like to have you back among us ffbruce, but all sides must consider how they approach things.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SwampFox said:
I will not back down from my position that the KJV remains the best Bible of what's available.

What exactly leads you to believe that the KJV is the best English translation available? Is it the archaic English? Or the very few late date manuscripts that underlie the Textus Receptus? Or the exclusive use of a Byzantine text platform? Or maybe the KJV translator's use of the Latin Vulgate?

I don't have a problem with those who use the KJV as all translations have their own unique problems, but the less-than-favorable circumstances just mentioned make it difficult to justify the idea that it's the best available.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
Jordan said:
ffbruce said:
Jordan said:
ffbruce said:
jerryjohnson said:
ffbruce said:

Well, I may only read one English Bible (KJV), but you will not find me cramming people's throat down. Now I hate how Modern versions do a little twisting here and there, as because they remove some verses and changes some words in other verses.

Just by reading a version alone doesn't make it idolatry. However, there are many movements. You can't blame KJV-Onlyism for everything...

You don't need to get all inflamed at me, and accuse me of "blaming KJVOnlyism for everything." A simple reading of what I've written will prove that assertion to be 100% false.

Now... I'd like to suggest you re-read what you just wrote - the post I'm quoting. You claim to be taking the high road and just preferring the KJV. But then you immediately talk about how you HATE how the "modern translation" change and twist the Word of God. In other words, you're comparing modern translations to the KJV, and assuming that where there is a difference it is the modern translations that are wrong. But that view alone is wrong.

There are much better, and more accurate English versions of the Bible than the KJV.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
ffbruce said:

Mr Bruce, This forum has been fairly peaceful until you returned. You might notice that this particular post, that caused devision in the past, hasn't been looked at since YOU left. Are you here only to argue? If so, I for one, don't need you.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
SwampFox said:

Nasty people. KJV wolves in sheep's clothing. I am SO glad that I don't go to church with any of these people!

With all due respect, did you not just post in a nearly year old thread about the subject to bring it back up?

From an "official" standpoint this website has never said nor crammed any Bible version down anyone's throat. I recommend and honestly prefer a KJV Bible, but I have several others in my library that I frequently use including the NKJV, NASB, and the NIV. If some members believe strongly for the KJV, they have the right to do that as much as you do to disagree.

It seems as though you want to lump everyone into one of two camps: those that agree with you, and those that don't. I guess I don't understand this debate sometimes on both sides; I will not back down from my position that the KJV remains the best Bible of what's available. Beyond that, I don't find it to be a very controversial statement and it seems to be in line with what most are saying here.

I would like to have you back among us ffbruce, but all sides must consider how they approach things.

Actually, the only reason I popped back on here today is because I got an email from the administrator talking about some changes in the website.

I posted on a thread that I had posted on before leaving. And my reasons for shaking the dust off my sandals on this forum remain...

Obviously, my pointing out the fallacies of the KJVO Zealots has sparked intense hatred. It's the same old same old.

And we scratch our heads wondering why non-Christians look at stuff like this and say, "No thanks!"

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
gervais said:
ffbruce said:

Mr Bruce, This forum has been fairly peaceful until you returned. You might notice that this particular post, that caused devision in the past, hasn't been looked at since YOU left. Are you here only to argue? If so, I for one, don't need you.

Of COURSE this thread has been quiet for the past year. That's because the KJVO people ran everybody away from this forum.

But don't worry. I won't be staying. I'm not interested in this kind of nonsense. :)

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Why not read several different versions and make the comparisons and listen to the HS as He guides you. There is no such thing as a perfect version, since they all are derived by humans. God gave us a brain to discern write from wrong and also fills us with the HS to guide us. There is absolutely too much emphasis put on who is right and who is wrong and we totally miss what we should be doing in the first place, which is praying and seeking the truth from the Only Source that knows the truth.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
forgivenWretch said:
Why not read several different versions and make the comparisons and listen to the HS as He guides you. There is no such thing as a perfect version, since they all are derived by humans. God gave us a brain to discern write from wrong and also fills us with the HS to guide us. There is absolutely too much emphasis put on who is right and who is wrong and we totally miss what we should be doing in the first place, which is praying and seeking the truth from the Only Source that knows the truth.

Right.

In addition, there is the element of honest, credible, accurate research. There are "translations" that are misleading and inaccurate. The New World Translation that the Jehovah's Witnesses use is one such abomination.

However, the modern translations of the Bible are NOT inferior to the KJV. In fact, several of them are more accurate. Credible, honest scholarship bears that out repeatedly. It's just unfortunate that some people worship the KJV to the point where they cannot see anything else.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
forgivenWretch said:
If the KJV is the only one which can be relied upon, what do all the people do across the globe who don't speak English?

Well... I can guarantee you that some of the KJVO folks will say that all non-English translations are translated from the KJV. Of course, that too would be wrong.

The bottom line is that the crazy, zealous KJVO stuff is silly. Worse still, it can be idolatry.