The Love of God - John MacArthur

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found here:
Does God love the elect and hate the non-elect?

John MacArthur claims that God invites sinners to repent and receive forgiveness from a sincere heart of genuine love.

But.

A sincere love. A genuine love. But a substandard love, not enough that they can come into the kingdom.

How sincere is that?

OK, you don't have to stay in Jail, I'll pay your $1000 fine. So I go to the clerk, give him $500, and say, OK, I've done what I said.

God is love. God is not "loves". God is love and that love is supreme, as all that God is. God is not, Greater Love and Lesser Love.

God does not love with a second-rate love.

Much love!

What John McArthur says here is disturbing considering that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...."

I agree with you, marks. This is like saying that the price Jesus paid for the "non-elect" was somehow less than His life. But Jesus paid it all so that WHOSOEVER believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. He didn't "partially die" for some and fully die for others....

This is an example of how man's logic misses God's truth.

Reactions: John Caldwell

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What John McArthur says here is disturbing considering that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...."

I agree with you, marks. This is like saying that the price Jesus paid for the "non-elect" was somehow less than His life. But Jesus paid it all so that WHOSOEVER believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. He didn't "partially die" for some and fully die for others....

This is an example of how man's logic misses God's truth.
Which world do you believe God is referring to in this scripture?

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is philosopy, not theology. Calvinism is illegitimately birthed in that it attempts to circumvent Christ in its approach to the gospel in favor of expounding on the mind of the Father in salvation.

For all the problems with Karl Barth, his insistence we can only aporoach the Father via the Son is both admirable and biblical. Calvinism is a philosophical aporoach, not a theological approach. Theology starts, remains, and ends in Christ.

If Penal Substitution Theory is correct then I believe Calvinism as a whole is the most logical conclusion. If the Theory is wrong or fails to completely encompass Christ's work of redemption then Calvinism falls. If the Theory is correct then the truth of the gospel was hidden until the 16th Century and no one truly comprehended the gospel until John Calvin put it all together and discovered this path to the mind of God around Christ rather than through Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which world do you believe God is referring to in this scripture?
The only one where people who need salvation live. :)

I think I know where you're headed with this question. Back in the day, I had many a discussion with a Presbyterian pastor about the meaning of the word "world." I have to say that I'm not up to a debate about it at this time. Sorry!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I like MacArthur (just not for what I believe is error). I also like Calvin's works - especially on prayer. We have to remember John Calvin was a lawyer by education.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I like MacArthur (just not for what I believe is error). I also like Calvin's works - especially on prayer. We have to remember John Calvin was a lawyer by education.
I like Him also, I’ve noticed that a lot of people totally hate him, this is interesting too me, because many of the other religions sects are actually loved by the world.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Him also, I’ve noticed that a lot of people totally hate him, this is interesting too me, because many of the other religions sects are actually loved by the world.

I hope you don't think my comment above means that I hate McArthur. I don't hate anyone. I used to listen to him some, and I'm sure that he has some sound teaching. But like I said, I'm disturbed by what he said in the article linked in the OP.

You make an important point. I read comments on CB by people who sound like they're hating on Christian teachers and groups. I'm weary with this. It shouldn't be this way.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you don't think my comment above means that I hate McArthur. I don't hate anyone. I used to listen to him some, and I'm sure that he has some sound teaching. But like I said, I'm disturbed by what he said in the article linked in the OP.

You make an important point. I read comments on CB by people who sound like they're hating on Christian teachers and groups. I'm weary with this. It shouldn't be this way.
I believe Jesus when He said we would be hated of the world for His name sake

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus when He said we would be hated of the world for His name sake
Believe me, I know what it is to be hated for His name's sake! What I was saying is that Christians shouldn't be hating on one another, especially if the person that's being hated on isn't here to defend himself.

1 John 4:20--If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe me, I know what it is to be hated for His name's sake! What I was saying is that Christians shouldn't be hating on one another, especially if the person that's being hated on isn't here to defend himself.

1 John 4:20--If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
Ok, just trying to wrap my small brain around all of this, so the world we’re hated of is what God loves? Do you love your enemies the same way you love Jesus?
Just a question you don’t have to answer.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, just trying to wrap my small brain around all of this, so the world we’re hated of is what God loves? Do you love your enemies the same way you love Jesus?
Just a question you don’t have to answer.

Why is it hard to understand that God loves the world--meaning the inhabitants of the earth--who hate Him and His followers. Jesus told us to love those who hate us. We are not to love the evil world system or the things of this world, though.

Do I love my enemies the same way I love Jesus? I'm not sure I understand this question. I will say this one thing. One way that I love Jesus is by submitting to Him and obeying Him as He directs my life. Of course, I don't let my enemies direct my life (I hope!).

Edit: Matt 5:43-45--“You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

1 John 2:15-16--Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it hard to understand that God loves the world--meaning the inhabitants of the earth--who hate Him and His followers. Jesus told us to love those who hate us. We are not to love the evil world system or the things of this world, though.

Do I love my enemies the same way I love Jesus? I'm not sure I understand this question. I will say this one thing. One way that I love Jesus is by submitting to Him and obeying Him as He directs my life. Of course, I don't let my enemies direct my life (I hope!).

Edit: Matt 5:43-45--“You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

1 John 2:15-16--Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
So in John 3:16 it’s apparent to me that the world Gods referring to is not the current world.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in John 3:16 it’s apparent to me that the world Gods referring to is not the current world.

Otherwise Gods telling me to not love what He loves?

I believe that the "world" we are told not to love is the world system, which is ruled by Satan, the god of this world. I made this distinction in my comment above. Hope this makes sense. :)

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the "world" we are told not to love is the world system, which is ruled by Satan, the god of this world. I made this distinction in my comment above. Hope this makes sense. :)

PW,
I love the fact that you actually "think", instead of just reading a word, and deciding it can only mean one thing. More of us need to be humble enough to learn from God that way. (THIS is the kind of "encouragement" we spoke about.)