The Manner of Jesus' Return

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're alive when Armageddon happens you'll see it. If I'm alive I know I'll see it because just as there were those who past through destruction of the world in Noah's day safely, there will be those on earth who will be true servants of the true God seeing the unrighteous being destroyed while they are being kept safe from harm during the destruction of the unrighteous. So if I'm alive when Armageddon begins, I know I'll see it, but will be kept safe from harm and past right through that destruction into the new earth without dying.
I won't but you may

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my perspective, every account that is given by the Lord Jesus Christ about his return should be compared with all three of the Gospel messages to see what can be built as far as what Jesus said, also what was the conversation also being spoken about before this episode had started to arise pertaining to the end of the age; along with the Son of Man, coming in the clouds in power, and glory.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ACCORDING to the creeds, Jesus is to return visibly to the physical eyes of mankind, riding upon a literal cloud, blowing a literal trumpet, shining with a dazzling literal light and blasting the literal universe into atoms. Usually this view of the manner of His Return, His Second Advent, is presented to frighten people into repentance, but upon a close examination in the light of scripture and reason, it is found in many respects to contradict these. So far as a Scriptural basis for this view is concerned, it rests entirely upon erroneous principles of interpretation; for it is drawn from a literal interpretation of figurative passages, such as parables, symbols and dark sayings, which according to the rules of language must, of course, be interpreted figuratively.

Not only does this view rest upon a wrong method of interpretation, but upon logical analysis its unreasonableness becomes apparent. For example, in view of the roundness of the earth, how could the people at the antipodes of the place of His arrival see Him coming? Even if, as has been suggested, He would after His coming remain stationary at a certain place in the sky during 24 hours for the rotation of the earth on its axis to make Him visible around the earth eastward and westward, the rotundity of the earth would nevertheless make Him invisible beyond a few hundred miles northward and southward. Clouds forming within the earth's atmosphere, and the earth's rotundity, as well as its size, would make Him invisible at no great distance. A literal trumpet, blowing loud enough to be heard all over the earth, would burst the eardrums of all within at least 12,000 miles of it.

And even if these difficulties would be overcome in some manner so that all on earth would e.g., by television, see Jesus in His Second Advent simultaneously with their physical sight and hear the literal trumpet without injury to their ears, it would still be unreasonable to expect Jesus in His glorious spirit body to appear to mankind's physical eyes; for if the light from the glorious spirit body of Christ would appear to the physical eyes of mankind, they would be instantly blinded, as was Saul of Tarsus on the way to Damascus (Acts 9:3-18); but if they should see that body itself, they would instantly drop dead, as no human can see God and/or Christ and live (Ex. 33:20; Heb. 1:3; 1 Tim. 6:16).

And if the literal universe were meant in the Bible passage that speaks of the heavens and earth passing from His face (Rev. 20:11), it would have passed away long ago, yes, at the instant of its creation, for He faces all things. Thus proper methods of interpreting the Bible, as well as reason and facts, contradict the idea that our Lord Jesus in His Return, His Second Advent, appears to mankind's natural sight in a visible manner.

In recent years many Evangelical and Fundamentalist Bible scholars, among others, have given up the abovementioned creedal view of Jesus' arrival in His Second Advent. Instead, they agree that at Jesus' arrival and for some time afterward, He will not be visible to mankind's physical eyes. This is commendable, but they do not go far enough, for a candid, reverent and careful study of the Scriptures reveals the fact that our Lord in His entire Second Advent is to be invisible to mankind's physical sight, but visible to their mental sight, their eyes of understanding (Matt. 13:13-17).
Okay, I am not as familiar with the creeds as I am with the scriptures, so I am not reacting to the creeds here. With regard to his return, I am taking my cues from the transfiguration (Matthew 17, Mark 9, Luke 9) where three men, four if we include Moses, saw Jesus standing in his glory. I agree with what you said about Paul's experience but Peter, James and John seem to have had a different experience. So did John as recorded in the book of Revelation. Apparently Paul's blindness was not incidental but caused by God or Jesus directly.

Review Matthew 24:30
30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.

sign of the Son of Man will appear
What is the sign mention here? I concluded that Jesus himself is the sign. The sign, which is the son of man, will appear in the sky. The phrase "son of man" echo's Daniel 7:13, wherein Daniel describes "one like a son of man" coming before the Ancient of Days to receive a kingdom.

all the tribes of the earth will mourn
I concluded that the "tribes of the earth" refer to the Jewish people living in Jerusalem at the critical moment, not the entire globe. The Jewish people are known as the people of the land (earth) and Jesus told them that he would return to Jerusalem.

coming on the clouds of the sky
This image also echo's Daniel chapter 7 and the Jewish leaders took great offence when Jesus reminded them of that fact.

Matthew 26:63-65
63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.” 64 Jesus *said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;

Jesus is coming on the clouds and subsequently he will be transfigured in the presence of the Jews living in Jerusalem.

Revelation 14:1
Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb was standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads.
Jesus physically returns to earth and he gathers the 144K to Jerusalem to meet with him there. Just before that, though, Jesus gathers his followers to himself to meet him in the air. (Refer to 1Thess. 4:17)

Revelation 14:14-16
14 Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and sitting on the cloud was one like a son of man, having a golden crown on His head and a sharp sickle in His hand. 15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying out with a loud voice to Him who sat on the cloud, “Put in your sickle and reap, for the hour to reap has come, because the harvest of the earth is ripe.” 16 Then He who sat on the cloud swung His sickle over the earth, and the earth was reaped.

The Lord is pictured as standing on a cloud, called "the son of man" to reap his harvest. In my view, John is talking about the same subject as Paul in 1Thess. 4:17. Jesus gathers his people into the clouds to be with him.

This is the sign that will appear over Jerusalem, which will cause the Jewish people to mourn.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Manner of Jesus' Return​

OP^

Manner as when He Left...
in the Likeness AS a Jewish man, with Clouds, and with Power.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The Manner of Jesus' Return​

OP^

Manner as when He Left...
in the Likeness AS a Jewish man, with Clouds, and with Power.
Christ will have a glorified body when He returns, it will be different than the body he ascended with. It will be similar. When He ascended his people recognized Him and we will also recognize Him when He returns, if He knows us, for we shall be like Him.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

See John the apostle says we do not yet have that glorified body, but at Christ's return we shall be like Him, as in appear like Him. And when He returns He is the glorified Christ. This will be the Resurrection Age. When Christians experience the resurrection at His coming, they get glorified bodies.

34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earburner

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ will have a glorified body when He returns, it will be different than the body he ascended with. It will be similar. When He ascended his people recognized Him and we will also recognize Him when He returns, if He knows us, for we shall be like Him.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

See John the apostle says we do not yet have that glorified body, but at Christ's return we shall be like Him, as in appear like Him. And when He returns He is the glorified Christ. This will be the Resurrection Age. When Christians experience the resurrection at His coming, they get glorified bodies.

34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

The Word of God was Sent from Heaven...
He was called the Son of Man.
He was called the Son of God.
He returned to Heaven.
The Son of Man shall return with Power.

Human men can not SEE God, less He appear in the Likeness AS a Man.
All shall SEE Him.
Some shall have already been RAISED in their glorious Body...
...They shall SEE Him AS HE IS.
Some will not already be RAISED in their glorious Body...
...They shall SEE Him AS a man.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus returns 7th trump, on war horse. Army follow Jesus. The wicked and insolent people will be corrected. The 7th trump starts the millennium. It's time of teaching and discipline for the spirtualty dead. Revelation 19:11. And I saw heaven open, and behold, a white horse; and He that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He doth judge and make war. EMTANIY in Hebrew means = mighty. Everyone will see the awesome power of Jesus. We will be in our spirtual bodys when 7th trump sounds. STOICHEO in Greek means = virtue, piety, military step. The millennium is time of teaching and discipline. The wicked and insolent will either get with the program or be blotted out. 19:15. And out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations : and He shall rule them with a Rod of iron. LACHAM in Hebrew means = war, prevail. Satan, and fake shepherds go into the pit during millennium. Jesus will make neccessary corrections during millennium. Some people will abide by Jesus. At end of millennium, some people will choose satan as their king. Satan and those who follow him, go into lake of fire. First Corinthians 15:62. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump; for the trumpet shall sound, and all the dead shall be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed. At the 7th trump, every one is changed from their flesh body to their spiritual body. This sets the millennium. I documented this.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ACCORDING to the creeds, Jesus is to return visibly to the physical eyes of mankind, riding upon a literal cloud, blowing a literal trumpet, shining with a dazzling literal light and blasting the literal universe into atoms.
That is a parody of the Second Coming. Yes every eye SHALL see Him, but you have made a mockery of this glorious event.
...a candid, reverent and careful study of the Scriptures reveals the fact that our Lord in His entire Second Advent is to be invisible to mankind's physical sight, but visible to their mental sight, their eyes of understanding...
This is pure baloney. So now we have another false teacher on Board!

BEWARE OF FALSE TEACHERS AND FALSE PROPHETS!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ACCORDING to the creeds, Jesus is to return visibly to the physical eyes of mankind, riding upon a literal cloud, blowing a literal trumpet, shining with a dazzling literal light and blasting the literal universe into atoms. Usually this view of the manner of His Return, His Second Advent, is presented to frighten people into repentance, but upon a close examination in the light of scripture and reason, it is found in many respects to contradict these. So far as a Scriptural basis for this view is concerned, it rests entirely upon erroneous principles of interpretation; for it is drawn from a literal interpretation of figurative passages, such as parables, symbols and dark sayings, which according to the rules of language must, of course, be interpreted figuratively.
Evidently, in your way of going, you are choosing to disbelieve that Jesus shall return visibly in His Immortality, "in like manner", as the disciples watched Him physically ascend up into heaven.
KJV Acts 1
[11] Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Yes, we all must be careful of "scoffers".
KJV 2 Peter 3:3-13
[3] Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
[4] And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation......

Jesus' return is a simultaneous event of redemption of those that are His, and destruction for all who are NOT His.
Luke 17:28-30, Rom. 8:9.

Please notice the word "when" in KJV 2 Thes. 1
[7] And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
[8] In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
[9] Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

[10] When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Again, all will take place in one day, in "the same day", just like Lot and Sodom, all within a period of 24 hours.
Please re-read Luke 17:28-30.

Reactions: rwb

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Evidently, in your way of going, you are choosing to disbelieve that Jesus shall return visibly in His Immortality...
When someone makes a deliberate choice to reject what is actually in Scripture and manufacture his own theology or eschatology, then we simply have another false teacher trying to mislead Christians. There are far too many like that right now.

Reactions: Earburner