The myth of grace-only & easy-believism shattered forever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole thing is a straw man argument.

Everyone believes that salvation is a gift of God and no one can "earn" it. Everyone also believes that if you say you are saved that you acts in life should show some evidence of that. Nobody actually believes in cheap grace (talk only), and nobody believes that man "earns" salvation by works.
This is not true

Many hear believe works are required to maintain salvation. They just do not see or admit it

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole thing is a straw man argument.

Everyone believes that salvation is a gift of God and no one can "earn" it. Everyone also believes that if you say you are saved that you acts in life should show some evidence of that. Nobody actually believes in cheap grace (talk only), and nobody believes that man "earns" salvation by works.
Everything you say above is untrue, you're merely grandstanding for heresy as per usual.

It's funny really, you won't even own up to your own documented heretical beliefs, and now you're denying the fact others actually do believe the things you deny above.

Wow, talk about being disingenuous.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helping you out here--
It depends what u mean by valid really. I could say that the only thing that is truly valid is Christ and our salvation
All Christians believe that.
U guys still believe Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, or not?
Some of the arguments the Catholics use is like nails on the chalkboard. Why does Mary's sex life even matter anyway
All Christians believe that Mary was a virigin at Jesus's conception and through His birth.
The idea that Mary remained virgin throughout her entire life is pretty much a Catholic-only belief.

<Fast fowarding here>
True, I coped it from the Catholics for being like a Protestant. Then I coped it from some Protestants for being a Catholic... LoL
U will rarely see me get involved in such debates. Hostility, anger, hate, division, i don't see God, I see Satan
I haven't even seen in a full blown battle between the two and i don't even want to see it.
I think both sides would do well just to mind their own advanced doctrines
What their doing shouldn't concern us
Hater's going to hate. They're flawed humans that way, and sit on all pews. And haters can be very very loud.

I myself try REALLY hard to be respectful, even when their's disagreements, and take the time to understand other people. I find so often that I'm a minority position there.
Thankyou very much I appreciate your hospitality. People here have been great but so far
:)

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are a born again believer you will want to do good works Not to be saved but because you have been saved.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, that's a strawman argument.
No

its called being transformed, Its called being once dead, and made alive, and acting out your new life

Its called being saved by Grace through faith. And doing the works which God created for us to do. which come natural. because it is our new nature.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really

Either you believe your saved by Grace through faith alone (OSAS)

or you believe you are saved by Grace through faith plus works (NOSAS)
No

its called being transformed, Its called being once dead, and made alive, and acting out your new life

Its called being saved by Grace through faith. And doing the works which God created for us to do. which come natural. because it is our new nature.
There are plenty of people (majority of Christians) whom believe in salvation through grace, but don't believe in OSAS.

Even within the OSAS camp: evidence of that change is part of the theological package. If somebody claims to be a saved Christian in your own congregation, but then either falls majorly away and/or is shown to be partaking of some horrible sin, then the most commonly people will say is "well that person wasn't ever really saved", because of those horrible fruits.

Everyone believes in salvation through the gift of God's grace. Everybody believes that change of heart should not just be a talking thing, but have real visible changes in action & character. It's much better to take the time to try to understand each other and the naunces (which do vary) than strawman arguments.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone believes in salvation through the gift of God's grace.

Not true, not even close.

Everybody believes that change of heart should not just be a talking thing, but have real visible changes in action & character.

Wrong again. Many believe there is no such thing as evidence of conversion.

It's much better to take the time to try to understand each other and the naunces (which do vary) than strawman arguments.

Your above is nothing but straw man arguments, things untrue, and more grandstanding.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are plenty of people (majority of Christians) whom believe in salvation through grace, but don't believe in OSAS.

I am sorry But I can not agree.

You cannot believe in Grace and think that eternal life must be earned or else it can be lost.

Even within the OSAS camp: evidence of that change is part of the theological package. If somebody claims to be a saved Christian in your own congregation, but then either falls majorly away and/or is shown to be partaking of some horrible sin, then the most commonly people will say is "well that person wasn't ever really saved", because of those horrible fruits.
Well John says that if people depart they were never of us, So I guess many churches take what John said as true, And do not think a person was born of God God failed. and the person ended up leaving, hence losing salvation

Everyone believes in salvation through the gift of God's grace.

again I can not agree

Everyone CLAIMS this is what they believe, But saying one does and actually believing it are two different things..

Look at the people in James 2. They CLAIMED to have faith, but did they? We can claim all we want. It does not make it true

Everybody believes that change of heart should not just be a talking thing, but have real visible changes in action & character. It's much better to take the time to try to understand each other and the naunces (which do vary) than strawman arguments.

Here is the difference

OSAS people believe there WILL be these changes Because God does not fail. It is not required, it is a natural occurrence, True faith works. It is not dead. A dead faith never saved anyone

NOSAS people claim their just MAY be these changes, thus they are required. failure to do so will result in a loss of salvation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry But I can not agree.

You cannot believe in Grace and think that eternal life must be earned or else it can be lost.
Whether or not you personally believe it, it is a common view among other people (which is what I was stating). That's a fact that can't be denied.

Note: obviously you can believe that this common view is incorrect. Truth isn't determined by popular vote.
Well John says that if people depart they were never of us, So I guess many churches take what John said as true, And do not think a person was born of God God failed. and the person ended up leaving, hence losing salvation
Nobody believes "God failed".
again I can not agree

Everyone CLAIMS this is what they believe, But saying one does and actually believing it are two different things..

Look at the people in James 2. They CLAIMED to have faith, but did they? We can claim all we want. It does not make it true

Here is the difference

OSAS people believe there WILL be these changes Because God does not fail. It is not required, it is a natural occurrence, True faith works. It is not dead. A dead faith never saved anyone

NOSAS people claim their just MAY be these changes, thus they are required. failure to do so will result in a loss of salvation.
Are you interested in understanding another person's views here?
I'm asking about understanding them, not agreeing.

Reactions: RogerDC

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether or not you personally believe it, it is a common view among other people (which is what I was stating). That's a fact that can't be denied.

Note: obviously you can believe that this common view is incorrect. Truth isn't determined by popular vote.

Nobody believes "God failed".

Are you interested in understanding another person's views here?
I'm asking about understanding them, not agreeing.

Same goes both ways

And I am sorry, When God says he WILL (not might) sanctify a person. Never lose one person. And people grow based on his power and his love

And you say that a person can lose salvation.

Your in effect saying God failed. (in my view)

That is why I will never believe salvation, which is a GIFT OF GOD, can never be lost. Because 1. A gift is freely given (it cost the giver) and freely received, It cost the receiver nothing) and Because it is based on the power of God. Not my own power.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same goes both ways

And I am sorry, When God says he WILL (not might) sanctify a person. Never lose one person. And people grow based on his power and his love

And you say that a person can lose salvation.

Your in effect saying God failed. (in my view)

That is why I will never believe salvation, which is a GIFT OF GOD, can never be lost. Because 1. A gift is freely given (it cost the giver) and freely received, It cost the receiver nothing) and Because it is based on the power of God. Not my own power.
Are you interested in understanding another person's view?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if your doing these good deeds to maintain salvation.

Seeing someone in need, and wanting to help is not for our benefit (maintain salvation) by out of love for our neighbor. Is that concept too hard to comprehend? Must good works be perverted?

The works the Galatians were doing was against their nature. Who wants a knife to their flesh in circumcision in order to be saved. The good works of the Spirit, are from desire to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have I misunderstood them? and if I have, can you show me how?
I'll go with one example:

I am not a OSAS person. I do believe that salvation is a gift from God. I'm not "earning" it-- such an absurdity is laughable actually. Salvation is a gift from God. And it indeed transforming and foundational to everything.

If "Bob" chooses to decline that gift, it's not God failing at all-- He & His gift is still miraculously powerful -- Bob is just declining it and God's not going to force Bob (God is not about enslaving people).

Reactions: FollowHim

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing someone in need, and wanting to help is not for our benefit (maintain salvation) by out of love for our neighbor. Is that concept too hard to comprehend? Must good works be perverted?

Your going off one work.

Do you or do you not believe that your salvation can be lost if you do not maintain a certain level of works. or righteous living?

The works the Galatians were doing was against their nature. Who wants a knife to their flesh in circumcision in order to be saved. The good works of the Spirit, are from desire to love our neighbor as ourselves.

A work is a work is a work.. People think they must be baptized in water to be saved, What separates this from circumcision, is this not the same? Is there not a difference between doing something to help in your salvation. and doing something just on the basis you want to obey God. and your eternal state has no bearing on doing those works?

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'll go with one example:

I am not a OSAS person. I do believe that salvation is a gift from God. I'm not "earning" it-- such an absurdity is laughable actually. Salvation is a gift from God. And it indeed transforming and foundational to everything.

If "Bob" chooses to decline that gift, it's not God failing at all-- He & His gift is still miraculously powerful -- Bob is just declining it and God's not going to force Bob (God is not about enslaving people).

The whole logic here falls down and becomes circular. A believer believes God, walks in the Holy Spirit and is saved. A later incident in their life and they fall away. Oh they were never actually saved in the first place.

So later events define the reality of the spiritual event today. Those who appeared saved may not actually be, you only know in the end. Worse still this is exactly the same as saying you are saved walking in faith, and not saved, honoured by the Lord, if you walk away. At the end of time the result is the same.

There are those who actually go a further step, whether in faith or not when Jesus returns He will honour all those who had some faith and then disappeared.

What blows this out of the water is the fig tree with no fruits. It died, because Jesus came and it was barren. Now a bit of gardening you could say, or as the apostles realised as statement of the thief in the night, be prepared or lose out. How many times and parables does there have to be about being ready? Those in unbelief will never accept it, even if Jesus returned and spoke to their faces.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22