The Myth of the Poverty of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neophyte,

I joined the Catholic Church 12 years ago, or so, and one thing I can remember as a Protestant; the media and movies and news outlets had this strange habit of focusing on the Catholic Church as the voice for all of Christianity. It happened all the time. It was strange to me at the time because I did not believe Catholicism was even Christian!

So, as annoying as it is for Catholics to have to be the 'face of sexual abuse' within Christianity by the media - and as much as I believe it is inaccurate - I am also not surprised. The Catholic Church is the one united church within Christendom and we really betrayed a lot of people as an institution - in the process, we lost our moral standing in many people's eyes. The media is always going to cut corners when reporting the news whether it is good news or bad.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He has given it all to us.

I think what you mean is that Jesus has empowered us to do His works, not everyone is called to do His miracles, and not every believer has the authority to teach. What are the "works" that Jesus does that we do also?

12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also;

10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

36 But I have a greater witness than John's; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish--the very works that I do--bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.

5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works,

Very good, Son of Man. Although these verses have nothing to do with the Feeding of the Multitude foreshadowing the multiplication of His Body and Blood, Eternal Food, we must remember that "works" that cannot be separated from faith, are a totally different type of "works" that Paul talks about.

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 - Paul's phrase for "works of the law" in the Greek is "ergon nomou" which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent ("hrvt ysm") meaning "deeds of the law," or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use "ergon nomou." He uses "ergois agathois." Therefore, Paul’s "works of the law" and James' "works" are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.

Catholicism does not teach works salvation. That is a myth. Jesus affirms that faith and good works cannot be separated, as your first quote clearly shows. James 2:24 "Man is justified by works and NOT faith alone." (they are inseparable) The reformers were wrong.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
I think what you mean is that Jesus has empowered us to do His works, not everyone is called to do His miracles, and not every believer has the authority to teach. What are the "works" that Jesus does that we do also?

I am not talking about a mouth service gospel. Christ said He who believes in me will do the works that I do. The other side of that writing is He who does not believe in me will not do the works that I do. The works of Christ are written in the new testament they include turning water to wine, walking on the water, killing the fig tree, healing all manner of sickness and disease, feeding the hungry with nothing but faith. The works are the works of the Power of the Spirit of God. Christ has given it to the believer, not the one who says he believes, but lies, The true believer.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not talking about a mouth service gospel. Christ said He who believes in me will do the works that I do. The other side of that writing is He who does not believe in me will not do the works that I do. The works of Christ are written in the new testament they include turning water to wine, walking on the water, killing the fig tree, healing all manner of sickness and disease, feeding the hungry with nothing but faith. The works are the works of the Power of the Spirit of God. Christ has given it to the believer, not the one who says he believes, but lies, The true believer.

Son of Man, works and miracles are not the same thing. You cannot claim to walk on water. I know you want to be a good Christian, and for all I know, you probably are. But when I read your posts, I see a young man in a lot of pain. What God wants you to do is to go out and comfort someone who is in more pain than you are. Your experiences, however horrendous they may be, puts you in a unique position to take the Gospel of Love into hearts that no one else but you can reach. And if necessary, use words.

SEVEN CORPORAL WORKS OF MERCY
  • To feed the hungry;
  • To give drink to the thirsty;
  • To clothe the naked;
  • To harbour the harbourless;
  • To visit the sick;
  • To ransom the captive;
  • To bury the dead.
SEVEN SPIRITUAL WORKS OF MERCYSOURCE