The New Birth: Water and Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5:8 appears in no manuscriptus unjtil the 15 the century.

Yes believers need to be bapptized, not to be saved, but to be obedient.

But JOhn 3 , Jesus is talking natural and spiritual birth. Beinb born of water was a euphemism of most cultures for natural birth- Hence we get the phrae "my water broke".

Jesus even explaihed it in the next verse! born of the flesh (water) is flesh. Born of the spirit is spirit. One had to be born AGAIN-the second time of the spirit!

OK, so If you cant refute, then deny its existence?

Also, you have not addressed the other scripture I gave you...

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so that no one can boast."

Baptism is a "work", a ritual statement that has nothing to do with being salvation, which is God's gift.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so that no one can boast."

Baptism is a "work", a ritual statement that has nothing to do with being salvation, which is God's gift.

Is Acts 2:38 by grace or works...

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You skipped Acts 2:38 again.

You even told sinners that they are saved by grace through faith as they read it, without agreeing with it.

You think Romans was written to the sinners of Rome.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Acts 2:38 by grace or works...

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

If you think that I'm going to discuss the single verse of Acts 2:38 that you are obsessed with ad nauseum, you are crazy. There are other verses in the Bible, you know. (Or perhaps you don't!)

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
User, what he is trying to tell you is that Jesus taught a man must pass through his mother's birth canal and break her water sac to be saved.

NO! What He was teaching this Jewish ruler is that being born a Jew will not save you (as all the Jews believed) you must be born again.

He didn't understand so Christ made it simple for him, "you must be born of water (the natural birth) and of the Spirit (the spiritual birth).

Christ came only to the Jews, they were to introduce Christ to the world. But first, Christ had to show the Jews they themselves needed to be saved. That proved to be a difficult task with the stiff-necked Jews who believed the Gentiles could not be saved and they were automatically saved through the bloodline of Abraham.

Reactions: Jim B

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think that I'm going to discuss the single verse of Acts 2:38 that you are obsessed with ad nauseum, you are crazy. There are other verses in the Bible, you know. (Or perhaps you don't!)
As long as you stay pre-Acts in your discussion, you are qualified to discuss that area of the Bible.

Acts 2:38 is your stopping point.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO! What He was teaching this Jewish ruler is that being born a Jew will not save you (as all the Jews believed) you must be born again.

He didn't understand so Christ made it simple for him, "you must be born of water (the natural birth) and of the Spirit (the spiritual birth).

Christ came only to the Jews, they were to introduce Christ to the world. But first, Christ had to show the Jews they themselves needed to be saved. That proved to be a difficult task with the stiff-necked Jews who believed the Gentiles could not be saved and they were automatically saved through the bloodline of Abraham.
No, you are saying that Jesus taught that not only must a man be born of his mother, but by the Spirit.

You taught water sac/Spirit salvation.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well it doesn't appear in earlier manuscripts so it is not an original writing. Most likely a marginal note that became incorporated!

Mark 16 has nothing to do with being born of water and the Spirit. Also If you go back and read what Jesus spoke of baptism, the key verse that stands out ( I paraphrase) , John in deed baptized with water, but I shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and witih fire. And lo and behold- in that upper room didn't ther 120 assembled get baptized in that room just as Jesus said He would baptize in !

Reactions: Jim B

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you are saying that Jesus taught that not only must a man be born of his mother, but by the Spirit.

You taught water sac/Spirit salvation.

I told you the truth, if you can't understand it that is not my problem.

Nicodemus didn't understand it at the time either, but there is always hope.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told you the truth, if you can't understand it that is not my problem.

Nicodemus didn't understand it at the time either, but there is always hope.
I’m sure you can clear up what Nicodemus did not understand regarding Jesus teaching that you had to pass through your mothers birth canal to be saved.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it doesn't appear in earlier manuscripts so it is not an original writing. Most likely a marginal note that became incorporated!

Mark 16 has nothing to do with being born of water and the Spirit. Also If you go back and read what Jesus spoke of baptism, the key verse that stands out ( I paraphrase) , John in deed baptized with water, but I shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and witih fire. And lo and behold- in that upper room didn't ther 120 assembled get baptized in that room just as Jesus said He would baptize in !
Per Mark 16, Jesus said he that ….is baptized shall be saved. Do you agree with Jesus?