The New Jerusalem - Who's in it - Who's outside ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Toward the very end of the bible it describes The New Jerusalem. Only those whose names are written in the Lambs book of life can enter.

Nothing surprising about that information , it is what most of us would expect.

But notice it talks about the people , nations and kings outside of the city ..... and mentions the ones who will not be able to enter. ...

??? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE ??? Crappy Christians ??? The unsaved ???

(Keep in mind this is supposedly Paradise .)

[sup]rev 21:22 [/sup]I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. [sup]23 [/sup]And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. [sup]24 [/sup]The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory. [sup]25 [/sup]Its gates will never be closed at the end of day because there is no night there. [sup]26 [/sup]And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city. [sup]27 [/sup]Nothing evil will be allowed to enter, nor anyone who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty—but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Then we see in the next chapter they are mentioned again , only in more explicit terms

[sup]rev22:14 [/sup]Blessed are those who wash their robes. They will be permitted to enter through the gates of the city and eat the fruit from the tree of life. [sup]15 [/sup]Outside the city are the dogs—the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idol worshipers, and all who love to live a lie.

Does that mean there will still be bad folks around in the future (paradise) ? Sounds like it to me.

.... "outside the city"..... is that what we would consider Hell?

Those portions of scripture have always left me scratching my head.

Your personal thoughts and opinions welcome. ... (Please don't quote half the bible. We all have bibles.) thanks

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Hi Arnie,

Easy enough to say that Revelation is written in symbolic language and we have to look at other parts of the bible for explanation. Jerusalem is the place where the temple had been build, the same place that Abraham went to offer up Isaac, and the place where Jacob had his vision. It was considered as the place where God and man meet. The new Jerusalem is where God and man meet today.

In Matthew 24 the disciples mentioned how beautiful the temple was. Jesus told them it would be destroyed. The mention of the destruction of the temple brought about the question from the disciples "when shall these things be, the sign of thy coming and the end of the age?". These are judgement day questions and Jesus told them many things that would happen in their generation and then the temple would be destroyed. The temple was destroyed in 70 AD, still in the disciples generation and that sign according to Jesus would mean the end of the age, the age of law. We must admit that Jesus did away with animal sacrifice when the temple was destroyed, spiritually it happened on the cross.

So yes, the kingdom of God is within us, and all around us are those who want no part of Jesus. However the gates of hell shall not prevail against the church for it will go on forever.

I could have quoted scripture but since you did not want any I can only say that what has written here is in God's word and very easily verified.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Hi Rocky .... sorry , this is the new Jerusalem coming down from heaven , not the Jerusalem Israel in Matthew 24 .....

You mentioned the kingdom of God is within us .... fine .... but the new Jerusalem is not inside us. You are talking about something completely different.

Any opinion who the people are outside the city (my original question) thanks

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Arnie,

Again I say that the book of Revelation is in symbolic language so please allow me to quote a few scriptures.

Rev 3:12

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Mat 24:35

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Rev 21:1

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

The sea is what seperated the Jews and the Gentiles, now it is for whosoever will.

Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70 AD by the Roman army, it passed away after the book of Revelation was written.

Rev 21:2

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

It just fits scripture better in my mind.

Arnie,

One other point that seems to help me in my bible studies is that the bible is all about God's covenant with the Jews and then with whosoever will.

There is an Old Testament or Old Covenant and New Testament or New Covenant:

There is an Old Jerusalem and a New Jerusalem:

There is an Old Heaven and Earth and a New Heaven and Earth.

All of them pretain to God's covenant with man, first the Jew (old) and then to whosoever will (new).

Heaven and earth seems to specificly speak of Mount Moriah that Abraham went to sacrifice Isaac, Jacob had the vision of the ladder leading to heaven and where Solomon built the temple in Jerusalem. Where God and man meet.

Old Jerusalem seems to be more about the religious Jews who cared for the temple. New Jerusalem with the piliar being the Christian.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Rocky , start your own thread and fill it up with whatever you want. Print the whole friggn bible if you want .

I do not require , nor did I ask for theological or escatological lessons from you , nor instructions on when the Bible is symbolic or literal.

The topic is "Who are the people outside the gates"

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Arnie,
The people outside the gate are non-christians of today. We are living in the age you are calling paradise, but in the body of Christ. We are in the world but not of the world.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Toward the very end of the bible it describes The New Jerusalem. Only those whose names are written in the Lambs book of life can enter.

But notice it talks about the people , nations and kings outside of the city ..... and mentions the ones who will not be able to enter. ...

[sup]rev 21:22 [/sup]I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. [sup]23 [/sup]And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. [sup]24 [/sup]The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory. [sup]25 [/sup]Its gates will never be closed at the end of day because there is no night there. [sup]26 [/sup]And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city. [sup]27 [/sup]Nothing evil will be allowed to enter, nor anyone who practices shameful idolatry and dishonesty—but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Then we see in the next chapter they are mentioned again , only in more explicit terms

[sup]rev22:14 [/sup]Blessed are those who wash their robes. They will be permitted to enter through the gates of the city and eat the fruit from the tree of life. [sup]15 [/sup]Outside the city are the dogs—the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idol worshipers, and all who love to live a lie.

Does that mean there will still be bad folks around in the future (paradise) ? Sounds like it to me.

Your personal thoughts and opinions welcome. ... (Please don't quote half the bible. We all have bibles.) thanks

Only the saints abide in the city. The overcomers through Christ are the bride of Christ. Outside are the righteous among the nations and the filthy who wander in the wilderness. The latter are they who kept soiling their garments.

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Arnie, Good question! I, too have scratched my head about this but never really gave it serious consideration. So, I've been pondering about this since you posted and here is what I've come up with. This is only my opinion.

Your verse: Rev. 21:24 - "The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory."

I believe the NJ will be post-millennial but I can see how some could take this verse and believe it to arrive at the beginning of the millennium based on this prophecy: Zech. 14:16 - "And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles."

But, here's what I believe. I believe we, (born-again raptured/resurrected believers) are the nations and kings of the earth of this particular passage based on Rev. 5:10 - "and didst make us to our God kings and priests, and we shall reign upon the earth." and Rev. 7:9 - "After these things I saw, and lo, a great multitude, which to number no one was able, out of all nations, and tribes, and peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne,..."

Your second verse is more intriguing: Rev. 22:15 - "Outside the city are the dogs—the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idol worshipers, and all who love to live a lie."

It does seem to imply that if we walk out the gates, there they are, sin zombies, walking around trying to get in. I looked up the word "outside" in the Strong's, (without, KJV) and another translation is "away". So, no I don't believe we'll be able to see them from the city and yes I believe they will be in hell. It's an either/or, imo. At that time either you're in the city (including new heavens and earth ) or in hell. There will be no other place to "be".

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

You're not 'rightly dividing' Scripture like Apostle Paul said to do (2 Tim.2:15).

The Rev.22:14-15 Scripture is Millennium timing, not new heavens and a new earth timing.

Those outside the gates of the holy city are the unsaved of the nations that will dwell apart from Christ's elect in the city that reign with Him during the "thousand years" of Rev.20 (see Rev.20:9 especially). Christ explained that two part separation in The Four Gospels about those cast to the "outer darkness". That's where the outer darkness will be, for it's an expression for being cast outside the holy city on earth during Christ's future thousand years reign. Our Lord Jesus even showed us in Matt.22 how some will still try to sneak in not having on a wedding garment, which is all parable about that future time and holy city.

So why is that there in Rev.22 after the description of New Jerusalem in Rev.21 & 22?

It's because that's how God's Holy Writ is often given at times, requiring us to 'rightly divide' the subject of timelines in His Word, because often Scripture covers a subject jumping back and forth to different timelines. I've covered that requirement to 'rightly divide' several times here on this Forum.

This is why it's so important to have studied the Ezekiel 40 through 48 Scripture first before Revelation concerning the holy city. The layout of the temple of Ezekiel there INCLUDES God's River and the tree of life established on earth DURING Christ's Millennium reign over all nations.

JoeinArkansas

Feb 14, 2012
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Dear Arnie,
The New Jerusalem represents the Kingdom of Heaven which at this point in Rev 21 and 22 is made up of the resurrected church, the bride of Christ. Those outside the gates are simply those who are not in the Kingdom of Heaven (they are not in the fabled "hell" but on the new earth). But Christ's work is not finished for those who remain lost. Scripture clearly teaches that Christ is the Savior of the world and that He will have all mankind to be saved and come unto the knowledge of the Truth ((1John 4:14 & 1Tim 2:4-6). Because Christ is the Savior and because His love and mercy never come to an end (Lam 3:22), He will continue His work of bringing all of mankind into the Kingdom of Heaven. Those outside the gates will be invited to come in the final age after their judgment is completed. Christ symbolically made this call on the "last day, that great day of the feast" to those remaining lost.

John 7:37-38 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

The feast in question is the Feast of Tabernacles which is the great ingathering of the harvest at the end of the growing season. The Feasts of First Fruits represents the harvesting of the church that came earlier. The Feast of Tabernacles represents the salvation of the rest of mankind at the end of the final age. Christ again repeated this call to come to Him in Revelation 22:17:

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Notice that the bride is with Him when this call is made. The bride has already made herself ready and has already gone through the wedding ceremony (symbolically speaking) at the time of this call. Since the church has already been completed (first fruits of the harvest), then who are the lost who are being called to come and drink of Christ (the water of life)? They are those who were not chosen for the church and according to "church" doctrine, should be at this time in the fires of hell being tormented for eternity. But they are not in hell and they will be saved by Christ. He is not willing that any should remain lost (Matt 18:11). Christ will draw them to Himself just as He drew His church. They will be saved through the same process of repentance, faith and the receiving of the Holy Spirit. That is what it means to come and drink of Christ. The church is harvested first, followed by the havesting of the rest of mankind on the final day of the harvest. The salvation of the world is spoken of throughout scripture and can be understood by those who have been blessed to receive eyes that can see and ears that can hear (spiritual understanding).

Joe

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Dear Arnie,
The New Jerusalem represents the Kingdom of Heaven which at this point in Rev 21 and 22 is made up of the resurrected church, the bride of Christ. Those outside the gates are simply those who are not in the Kingdom of Heaven (they are not in the fabled "hell" but on the new earth).

Correction: the lost of the nations during Christ's future thousand years reign are not on a "new earth" either. The future new heavens and a new earth won't occur until after the great white throne judgment and lake of fire event. The unbelievers won't see the new heavens and a new earth. But they will be aware of God's River and the tree of life that will manifest during Christ's thousand years reign, on earth where Jerusalem is today. Per Rev.20:9, Jerusalem is referred to as the "beloved city" in that time.

But Christ's work is not finished for those who remain lost. Scripture clearly teaches that Christ is the Savior of the world and that He will have all mankind to be saved and come unto the knowledge of the Truth ((1John 4:14 & 1Tim 2:4-6).

That idea is not Biblical. It's actually an idea from men, and you're only using those verses to try and support while omitting what God has said in His Word about His final Judgment and the "lake of fire" event that many will go into. Rev.20:9 even reveals how many of the nations will join with Satan when he is released in final to go tempt them, and try to destroy the "camp of the saints" and "beloved city", and then The Father from Heaven rains fire down up them. Those who are rebellious to the last, even after... Christ has returned and revealed Who He is, well, we do not want them with us in God's future new heavens and a new earth, otherwise that time would be just like today's world. So that's why those who still refuse will perish, and their perishing will be an act of righteousness by God.

Because Christ is the Savior and because His love and mercy never come to an end (Lam 3:22), He will continue His work of bringing all of mankind into the Kingdom of Heaven. Those outside the gates will be invited to come in the final age after their judgment is completed. Christ symbolically made this call on the "last day, that great day of the feast" to those remaining lost.
John 7:37-38 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

The feast in question is the Feast of Tabernacles which is the great ingathering of the harvest at the end of the growing season. The Feasts of First Fruits represents the harvesting of the church that came earlier. The Feast of Tabernacles represents the salvation of the rest of mankind at the end of the final age. Christ again repeated this call to come to Him in Revelation 22:17:

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Only those who turn to The Father through His Son Jesus Christ will be allowed in, period.

Don't forget towards the end of Zechariah 14, some of the nations during Christ's future reign will refuse to go up to Jerusalem to worship Him, and keep the feast. So even during His future Milennium reign, there's going to still be some in rebellion.

Notice that the bride is with Him when this call is made. The bride has already made herself ready and has already gone through the wedding ceremony (symbolically speaking) at the time of this call. Since the church has already been completed (first fruits of the harvest), then who are the lost who are being called to come and drink of Christ (the water of life)? They are those who were not chosen for the church and according to "church" doctrine, should be at this time in the fires of hell being tormented for eternity. But they are not in hell and they will be saved by Christ. He is not willing that any should remain lost (Matt 18:11). Christ will draw them to Himself just as He drew His church. They will be saved through the same process of repentance, faith and the receiving of the Holy Spirit. That is what it means to come and drink of Christ. The church is harvested first, followed by the havesting of the rest of mankind on the final day of the harvest. The salvation of the world is spoken of throughout scripture and can be understood by those who have been blessed to receive eyes that can see and ears that can hear (spiritual understanding).

The Bride of Christ is shown in Revelation 21 as the New Jerusalem descending out of Heaven from God. It is not the Church.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Thanks for all the opinions guys (I'm still reading them) .....

(generally speaking) .... (and in my own words)... (and without scripture references ) .... it reads to me that we (saints) are in the city (new Jerusalem) .... with our Lord (of course) .... and outside are all those "other guys" ..... and we can go in and out through the gates .... but they cannot come in to the city ...... does that mean we can "visit them" .... then go back into the city ???

Those are some of my thoughts.

As well I wonder if "outside the city" is maybe the hell or Hades we read about ...... ie: ... they are separated from God for eternity (outside) .... while we are with God for eternity (inside the city)

Just some thoughts. Once I read all the opinions I will try to reply .... (may take me a day or two) thanks.

I appreciate everbodies input . maybe we can figure it out.

Arnie,
The people outside the gate are non-christians of today. We are living in the age you are calling paradise, but in the body of Christ. We are in the world but not of the world.

Sorry Rocky ... I feel the new Jerusalem is future , not today ,

Also we are not yet in the new heaven and new earth .... you have skipped ahead a thousand years at least. Your thoughts do not reconcile with (future) prophecy (my opinion)

Although I would certainly agree that the non-christian of today will most likely be some of the folks outside the gate.

Only the saints abide in the city. The overcomers through Christ are the bride of Christ. Outside are the righteous among the nations and the filthy who wander in the wilderness. The latter are they who kept soiling their garments.

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

I mostly agree ..... except for the ones with soiled garments being (even slightly) righteous ..... I cannot reconcile the two at this moment. I will give it some thought.

The only way I could see them as righteous with soiled garments is if they were the saved who had no rewards.

Jesus has a judgement where he hands out rewards for good works we do while in the flesh (or lack of rewards for no good works) .... maybe that is it .... but I am reluctant to accept it at this moment.

All of a sudden I want to re-read all the references to clean and dirty garments pertaining to the christian.

Thanks for scaring me ..... I feel like I need a big trip to the laundry ..... :)

Hi Arnie, Good question! I, too have scratched my head about this but never really gave it serious consideration. So, I've been pondering about this since you posted and here is what I've come up with. This is only my opinion.

Your verse: Rev. 21:24 - "The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory."

Trekson .... I started out just scratching my head ..... now I scratch furiously ..... :)

You quoted ..... rev 21: [sup]24 [/sup]The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. (the city)

When i read that .... it obviously sounds like there are kings and nations outside the city ..... and from time to time they bring their splendor into the city ...... no problem .... YET also outside the city are those so called "bad guys" as well.

Interesting mixture of people "outside the city" .... the intrigue continues .... thanks for pointing that out trekson

I believe the NJ will be post-millennial but I can see how some could take this verse and believe it to arrive at the beginning of the millennium based on this prophecy: Zech. 14:16 - "And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles."

i feel the same about it being post- millennium .... I think it almost has to be. .....

But, here's what I believe. I believe we, (born-again raptured/resurrected believers) are the nations and kings of the earth of this particular passage based on Rev. 5:10 - "and didst make us to our God kings and priests, and we shall reign upon the earth." and Rev. 7:9 - "After these things I saw, and lo, a great multitude, which to number no one was able, out of all nations, and tribes, and peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne,..."

Your second verse is more intriguing: Rev. 22:15 - "Outside the city are the dogs—the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idol worshipers, and all who love to live a lie."

It does seem to imply that if we walk out the gates, there they are, sin zombies, walking around trying to get in. I looked up the word "outside" in the Strong's, (without, KJV) and another translation is "away". So, no I don't believe we'll be able to see them from the city and yes I believe they will be in hell. It's an either/or, imo. At that time either you're in the city (including new heavens and earth ) or in hell. There will be no other place to "be".

I feel your thinking drifts in the right direction and I tend to agree.

These are extremely difficult topics .... if we ever do figure them out .... it will be one notch at a time .... Today I have greater insight than yesterday. The quest continues.

I like your application of the phrase "sin zombies" .... it seems very appropriate ..... makes sense to me .... it certainly describes some of those folks "outside the city" . Interesting terminology. thanks.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I mostly agree ..... except for the ones with soiled garments being (even slightly) righteous ..... I cannot reconcile the two at this moment. I will give it some thought.

The only way I could see them as righteous with soiled garments is if they were the saved who had no rewards.

Jesus has a judgement where he hands out rewards for good works we do while in the flesh (or lack of rewards for no good works) .... maybe that is it .... but I am reluctant to accept it at this moment.

All of a sudden I want to re-read all the references to clean and dirty garments pertaining to the christian.

Thanks for scaring me ..... I feel like I need a big trip to the laundry ..... :)

Sorry...I didn't put enough emphasis on the "and" to show a distinction between the righteous that lives in the nations and the filthy which roam in the wilderness in the darkness. The righteous are those deemed just by God...innocent. The filthy are those who hold the truth but in unrighteousness.

JoeinArkansas

Feb 14, 2012
Fayetteville, Arkansas
[/font][/size]

Correction: the lost of the nations during Christ's future thousand years reign are not on a "new earth" either. The future new heavens and a new earth won't occur until after the great white throne judgment and lake of fire event. The unbelievers won't see the new heavens and a new earth. But they will be aware of God's River and the tree of life that will manifest during Christ's thousand years reign, on earth where Jerusalem is today. Per Rev.20:9, Jerusalem is referred to as the "beloved city" in that time.

That idea is not Biblical. It's actually an idea from men, and you're only using those verses to try and support while omitting what God has said in His Word about His final Judgment and the "lake of fire" event that many will go into. Rev.20:9 even reveals how many of the nations will join with Satan when he is released in final to go tempt them, and try to destroy the "camp of the saints" and "beloved city", and then The Father from Heaven rains fire down up them. Those who are rebellious to the last, even after... Christ has returned and revealed Who He is, well, we do not want them with us in God's future new heavens and a new earth, otherwise that time would be just like today's world. So that's why those who still refuse will perish, and their perishing will be an act of righteousness by God.

Only those who turn to The Father through His Son Jesus Christ will be allowed in, period.

Don't forget towards the end of Zechariah 14, some of the nations during Christ's future reign will refuse to go up to Jerusalem to worship Him, and keep the feast. So even during His future Milennium reign, there's going to still be some in rebellion.

The Bride of Christ is shown in Revelation 21 as the New Jerusalem descending out of Heaven from God. It is not the Church.

Dear Veteran,
Your understanding of scripture is carnal and literal. Christ's words are "spirit". You will never understand God's Word from a carnal and literal view point. That is why Christ made such a point to say many times words such as these:

Mark 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and [of] the leaven of Herod.

Mark 8:18 Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?

Mark 8:20 And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Here Chist was speaking of the "leaven" of the Pharisees. Did the apostles understand his meaning? No, not at this time. Can you see that "leaven" in scripture represents false teachings? Most people do have enough vision to at least understand Christ's teachings on "leaven". I will assume you do. Christ then asked them "how is it that you do not understand?"

IN THE EVERY NEXT VERSE OF MARK, Chist shows us why people don't understand. In Mark 8:21-25, Christ gives us His answer with the two healings of the blind man. Christ is teaching us something very important here so pay close attention. The blind man represents those who are called to Christ (called out of the Bethsaida). Upon the blind man's first healing (our first coming to Christ), He leaves us spiritually blind (can only see men walking as trees). For those He chooses for His true church though (the Elect), Christ will come again and heal our spiritual vision completely (2nd healing of the blind man). It is at this point when we hear His call to "come out of her my people". His Elect (those HE chose) come out of the harlot church because they can now see and ear the Truth of scripture. I have experienced such an event in my life back in October 2005.

Here is a parable (a fictious story that conveys a spiritual truth) that will help complete the picture. It is concerning the state of the individual when they are only healed once. Our 1st healing leaves us spiritually blind and the result is the complete spiritual corruption within the individual (we become a "man of sin") who makes up all the churches in the world.

Mark 13 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

The phrase "The Kingdom of Heaven is like" is a key phrase in the parable. Where is the Kingdom of Heaven? Christ said that it does not come with observation and that it is inside you. So all the parables that say the "Kingdom of Heaven is like" occurs within an individual. Next in the parable it says that a "woman took". Who is the woman? A "woman" in scripture is the church made up of the "called" (spiritually blind). Can you now understand what Christ is saying in this parable? Here's the answer: the church took false teachings and hid it in three measures of meal (bread or the Word of God) until the "whole was leavened". Christ is saying that the church completely corrupts His Word and becomes a harlot. That event occurs within each individual that makes up the church. They are all spiritually blind and have their own particular carnal understanding of scripture. And because of that carnal understanding, there are now hundreds, if not thousands of different denominations of harlot churches in the world. It's amazing because each spiritually blind person in those churches think that their church is scriptual and the rest are harlot.

Only those who Christ chooses to come to a second time (the second coming of Christ to the individual) to heal their spiritual vision completely are able to "see" and understand scripture. Immediately after that event in their lives the hear Christ calling to them to "come out of her my people". The carnal church has completely corrupted the whole of scriptures to the point that no truth can be found in her. God's Elect must therefore come out of her and dwell with Christ in the heavens.

Veteran, do you now know why "ye do not understand?"

It is my hope that those who have been made ready to come out of the harlot will heed His words to "come out" and begin their journey down the narrow path that leds to Christ.

Joe

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.

Rev 21:27 reiterates 20:15 & 21:8 which is a synopsis of Rev 20. Re3v 22:14-15 are again reiterations of what has already transpired in the prior chapters, and a statement of outcome, not the status at the end. The second death in Rev 20:14 is again reiterated in 21:8. Kind of like the way the Bible starts, with the BIG picture in Gen 1:1, then more details in Gen 1:2-2:3, then MORE details in Gen 2:4-25, then back to the story in Gen 3:1. When you think about it, God was really in control of His inspired Word to have it start and end in the same kind of writing style.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Thanks for all the opinions guys (I'm still reading them) .....

(generally speaking) .... (and in my own words)... (and without scripture references ) .... it reads to me that we (saints) are in the city (new Jerusalem) .... with our Lord (of course) .... and outside are all those "other guys" ..... and we can go in and out through the gates .... but they cannot come in to the city ...... does that mean we can "visit them" .... then go back into the city ???

Yes. Per Ezekiel 44 about the Zadok (the just, or righteous). The "dead" of Ezekiel 44 represent the spiritual dead that will be cast in the "outer darkness" during Christ's future thousand years reign. Those that were relatives of the Zadok are specifically mentioned among those spiritually dead. And before the Zadok can return after going among a lost relative and go near any of God's holy things, they must go through a ritual purification.

As well I wonder if "outside the city" is maybe the hell or Hades we read about ...... ie: ... they are separated from God for eternity (outside) .... while we are with God for eternity (inside the city)

Per Rev.20:9, the "beloved city" is upon the earth. That's the same layout as Rev.22:14-15 also. The place of separation is outside the gates of the city. Satan's prison where he will be locked in chains for the thousand years apparently will be outside the city somewhere on earth too. Isaiah 14 reveals that some will look over at him and say, "Is this the man that...?"

I know it's difficult for some to dump all the dreamy images we've been served by Church tradition of what the heavenly is going to be like. We're all still going to be right here on this earth. Yet there's going to be some marvelous manifestations even in that future time of Christ's thousand years reign which we have never seen in this present world. God's River flowing out from under the Milennium sanctuary with the many trees on either side of it (tree of life) is going to be something new to us (Ezek.47).

Dear Veteran,
Your understanding of scripture is carnal and literal. Christ's words are "spirit". You will never understand God's Word from a carnal and literal view point. That is why Christ made such a point to say many times words such as these:

Mark 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and [of] the leaven of Herod.

Mark 8:18 Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?

Mark 8:20 And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Here Chist was speaking of the "leaven" of the Pharisees. Did the apostles understand his meaning? No, not at this time. Can you see that "leaven" in scripture represents false teachings? Most people do have enough vision to at least understand Christ's teachings on "leaven". I will assume you do. Christ then asked them "how is it that you do not understand?"

IN THE EVERY NEXT VERSE OF MARK, Chist shows us why people don't understand. In Mark 8:21-25, Christ gives us His answer with the two healings of the blind man. Christ is teaching us something very important here so pay close attention. The blind man represents those who are called to Christ (called out of the Bethsaida). Upon the blind man's first healing (our first coming to Christ), He leaves us spiritually blind (can only see men walking as trees). For those He chooses for His true church though (the Elect), Christ will come again and heal our spiritual vision completely (2nd healing of the blind man). It is at this point when we hear His call to "come out of her my people". His Elect (those HE chose) come out of the harlot church because they can now see and ear the Truth of scripture. I have experienced such an event in my life back in October 2005.

Here is a parable (a fictious story that conveys a spiritual truth) that will help complete the picture. It is concerning the state of the individual when they are only healed once. Our 1st healing leaves us spiritually blind and the result is the complete spiritual corruption within the individual (we become a "man of sin") who makes up all the churches in the world.

Mark 13 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

The phrase "The Kingdom of Heaven is like" is a key phrase in the parable. Where is the Kingdom of Heaven? Christ said that it does not come with observation and that it is inside you. So all the parables that say the "Kingdom of Heaven is like" occurs within an individual. Next in the parable it says that a "woman took". Who is the woman? A "woman" in scripture is the church made up of the "called" (spiritually blind). Can you now understand what Christ is saying in this parable? Here's the answer: the church took false teachings and hid it in three measures of meal (bread or the Word of God) until the "whole was leavened". Christ is saying that the church completely corrupts His Word and becomes a harlot. That event occurs within each individual that makes up the church. They are all spiritually blind and have their own particular carnal understanding of scripture. And because of that carnal understanding, there are now hundreds, if not thousands of different denominations of harlot churches in the world. It's amazing because each spiritually blind person in those churches think that their church is scriptual and the rest are harlot.

Only those who Christ chooses to come to a second time (the second coming of Christ to the individual) to heal their spiritual vision completely are able to "see" and understand scripture. Immediately after that event in their lives the hear Christ calling to them to "come out of her my people". The carnal church has completely corrupted the whole of scriptures to the point that no truth can be found in her. God's Elect must therefore come out of her and dwell with Christ in the heavens.

Veteran, do you now know why "ye do not understand?"

It is my hope that those who have been made ready to come out of the harlot will heed His words to "come out" and begin their journey down the narrow path that leds to Christ.

Joe

Well, all I can say to that is... you don't know the difference in God's Word between what is meant LITERALLY vs. what is meant SPIRITUALLY.

Christ's coming Kingdom will come with SUBSTANCE. It won't be some floating existence up in the clouds like some dreamy never-never land where you're head is at!

What you're pushing is called SPIRITUALISM. It was a movement that came over from Europe in the 1800-1900's linked with the OCCULTISTS in Europe.

What you said here is an example of their vain doctrines:

JoeinArkansas:
"Because Christ is the Savior and because His love and mercy never come to an end (Lam 3:22), He will continue His work of bringing all of mankind into the Kingdom of Heaven. Those outside the gates will be invited to come in the final age after their judgment is completed. Christ symbolically made this call on the "last day, that great day of the feast" to those remaining lost."

For those who may not be aware of the basis where that kind of idea is coming from, that idea of Christ "continuing His work of bringing all mankind into the Kingdom of Heaven" is attached to the false doctrines of today's one-world government Utopian dream.

Per that false idea, EVERYONE is going to believe and be saved. That is NOT... what God Himself and His Son said in His Word. SOME are... going to PERISH because of their wickedness along with refusing The Father through His Son, which IS... what His Word says, and very plainly at that!

Not much longer now, Christ will return, and this PRESENT time on earth will END. And SOME are to be DESTROYED off this earth at Christ's return...

Rev 11:13-15
13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever.
(KJV)

Not only that, but at the end of Christ's future thousand years reign when Satan is loosed one final time to go tempt the nations, those of the nations that are stupid enough to follow him still, look what will happen to them...

Rev 20:7-9
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
(KJV)

As much as we as Christians would LIKE... for everyone to believe on Christ Jesus and be saved, and have Eternal Life through His Blood, not all will accept Him, even AFTER His return when He will reveal Himself to all the world with none being able to deny Who He is.

It's Christ's enemies that instead want this present world to keep on going. And it's those deceived that listen to those enemies of Christ that have been suckered into thinking this world ain't gonna' end until Jesus does save everyone in it. Holding that is vainness, unrighteousness, because it denies God's Righteousness of the recompense He said He would do upon His enemies, so we can finally have REAL PEACE upon this earth and live with Him forever.

Elle

Sep 27, 2012
I believe I can answer your question. The people outside the city compromise the nations of them which are saved (Rev21:24).These people are written in the general book of life. These are the people resurrected at the Great White Throne Judgement with the possibility of earning eternal life. Notice the list of people in Rev 21:8 who are thrown into the Lake of Fire, they are listed as fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolators and liars. Now what about the people outside the city in Rev22:15, they are dogs (essentially the same as abominable in previous list), sorcerers, whoremongers, murderers and idolators and liars. Notice the difference, the group of Rev22:15 were not unbelievers and fearful. These people died believers and not afraid. However they are not allowed into the city because they still have much to learn. Only those inside the city can eat from the Tree of Life, those outside only get the leaves from the Tree of Life. These leaves are for the "healing of the nations", Rev22:2. I believe the leaves are symbolic for those inside the city, they will go forth and teach the outsiders how to live by God's law the right way. Many think that there will be no death in the New Heavens and New Earth, this is only partially true. There will be no more physical death as we know it, but there still remains the second death which is ceasing to exist. Notice what it says in Isaiah 65 17,20: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." and "There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed." Meaning those outside the city are given a 100 years to come to the full knowledge of God, those who just cannot live by God's laws will perish in the second death and those who can live by God's laws have earned their spiritual bodies, are now written in the Lab's Book of Life and may now enter the city. When it says "the child shall die an hundred years old", this means they died to self or following their own ways and now follow God's ways.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I believe I can answer your question. The people outside the city compromise the nations of them which are saved (Rev21:24).These people are written in the general book of life. These are the people resurrected at the Great White Throne Judgement with the possibility of earning eternal life. Notice the list of people in Rev 21:8 who are thrown into the Lake of Fire, they are listed as fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolators and liars. Now what about the people outside the city in Rev22:15, they are dogs (essentially the same as abominable in previous list), sorcerers, whoremongers, murderers and idolators and liars. Notice the difference, the group of Rev22:15 were not unbelievers and fearful. These people died believers and not afraid. However they are not allowed into the city because they still have much to learn. Only those inside the city can eat from the Tree of Life, those outside only get the leaves from the Tree of Life. These leaves are for the "healing of the nations", Rev22:2. I believe the leaves are symbolic for those inside the city, they will go forth and teach the outsiders how to live by God's law the right way. Many think that there will be no death in the New Heavens and New Earth, this is only partially true. There will be no more physical death as we know it, but there still remains the second death which is ceasing to exist. Notice what it says in Isaiah 65 17,20: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." and "There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed." Meaning those outside the city are given a 100 years to come to the full knowledge of God, those who just cannot live by God's laws will perish in the second death and those who can live by God's laws have earned their spiritual bodies, are now written in the Lab's Book of Life and may now enter the city. When it says "the child shall die an hundred years old", this means they died to self or following their own ways and now follow God's ways.

I'm sorry but your understanding here is wrong. There is NO 'general book of life' and nobody is saved AFTER Jesus returns, which is before His Judgment Throne. As I explained in post #15, Rev 21 reiterates what transpired in Rev 20 but with more detail.
The Tree of Life and the leaves are NOT symbolic. It reflects what God brought back into being which existed in Gen 1 prior to the fall of man. There is no indication one way or the other that the Tree of Life in Genesis, ceased to exist. Genesis only shows in Gen 3:24, that God placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life. This is the SAME Tree of Life, that is identified in Rev 22:2, along with the river of life running thorough it.
You will also notice that the curses God placed on the serpent in Gen 3:14 and the ground in Gen 3:17 are now gone as depicted in Rev 22:3

Elle

Sep 27, 2012
Thank you Stan, but we will have to agree to disagree. And yes, I have considered what you stated about Revelation 20 and 21 before, but at this point in my walk, I do not see it that way. That does not mean you are wrong, just that it may not be time for me to see that as truth.

: )

Reactions: Elle

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
There actually are... some that are saved AFTER Christ's return. And when I say 'some' I don't just mean a few.

The idea that all those not saved in Christ during this present world are destroyed right after Christ's return was an old Christian tradition among certain men. They used that idea to the hilt to scare the unsaved to the altar. But thank God that was just a tradition of men, and not actually His Word.

Deeper Bible understanding reveals that our Heavenly Father and His Christ are more patient than those men, and that's it's His desire that no one should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

The second resurrection that is inferred in Revelation 20 is about the souls that are saved 'during' Christ's future "thousand years" reign.

John 5:28-29, 1 Corinthians 15, Acts 24:15, reveals that the souls of the both the just and the unjust are going to be in resurrected bodies when Christ begins His thousand years reign with His elect. The 'unjust' means the wicked, and they are represented as the nations outside the holy city in Rev.22:14-15. That's a parallel to the nations of Rev.20:8-9 and Zechariah 14:16-21. The Ezekiel 44:25 about the "dead" is also a parallel to those nations outside the holy city in that Milennium time.

After Christ's return, the resurrection of damnation represent the 'spiritually dead'. Only those still subject of being later destroyed in the "lake of fire" at the "second death" are those spiritually dead. Those of the "first resurrection" are not subject to the later "second death".

After Christ's thousand years reign, and the destruction of those of the nations that follow Satan one last time per Rev.20:9, God's Great White Throne Judgment then begins, and the books are opened. In other words, the Book of Life is checked to see if any of those spiritual dead have their names written.

So if the "first resurrection" ONLY are saved in Christ, then there shouldn't be a need to check the names in the Book of Life at the end. Because a second resurrection is inferred, it has to be the same TYPE of resurrection as the "first resurrection", which is unto what? Unto Eternal Life in Christ Jesus.

Apostle Paul actually was covering this point in 1 Corinthians 15 when he revealed the literal requirement to have Victory in Christ, with death swallowed up. He made a distinction between 'corruption' must put on 'incorruption', which is about the 'change' from our flesh body to a spiritual body, and he also made a distinction about "this mortal" must put on "immortality", which is about the soul part. So he was covering 2 TYPES of changes, not just one about a 'body'. Our Lord Jesus also covered that when He said one must be 'born again' in John 3. The part of us that is 'born again' of The Spirit is our 'spirit' inside, not our flesh body.

Those of the resurrection of damnation will STILL... have unborn spirits during Christ's thousand years reign. In other words, NOT "new creature" status, which is about Christ's Salvation of Eternal Life. This is WHY the resurrected unjust will STILL be subject to the "second death" which happens later. Their 'souls' will still not have been "born again".

But with some of those, they WILL accept Christ Jesus and believe DURING His thousand years reign, and will be saved at the end of it. And that's what the second inferred resurrection is really about.

Now with the above some will say, "How can that be? Only in this present world today can someone be saved in Jesus."

In Romans 11 Paul revealed that God Himself has put "blindness" upon Israel "in part" for this present world time, unti lthe fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

So if God Himself put that blindness upon them to refuse Christ, then how can He simply destroy them later? Some will think, "Well He's God, He can do what He wants". That's not good enough, because our Heavenly Father DID give us the right answer to this in His Word concerning those He blinded.

In Romans 11 Paul continues to reveal about the part of Israel in blindness, quoting from Isaiah, that one day it will be removed, and all Israel will be saved. The Zechariah 12 Scripture reveals the blinded part of Israel in mourning once Christ returns, showing how they will feel ashamed for refusing Him.

Then there's the problem of peoples born on this earth that NEVER had opportunity to 'hear' and believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Those being little babies or children that died young, or people born in isolation through history.

Christ's future Millennium reign is going to be the equalizer of all that. It will be the FIRST opportunity for those to 'hear' and believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ. No soul will go into the future lake of fire without that opportunity to 'hear' and believe. Otherwise it would mean our Heavenly Father destroys souls that couldn't be held accountable, and He is not like that. And also never forget, destruction of one's flesh is NOT the end of the person. Flesh death does NOT equal eternal death of the soul and spirit.