The one and only Son, who is Himself God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you can capitalize the term "word" or not, but the capitalization is entirely appropriate as the teaching of the passage is explicitly that the "Logos was God".

λόγος ἦν θεὸς

logos ēn theos

Literally: The Divine Reason was God

Capitalized or not, the passage is teaching that God Himself became flesh. Deny it at the cost of your own soul.

As for the Trinity doctrine, that too is implied in the way the passage is worded because it uses both phrases, "Logos was with God" and "the Logos was God", indicating a plurality exists, which is consistent with the entire scripture starting right from the very first sentence of Genesis which states in Hebrew "In the beginning Gods, He created the Heaven and the Earth." which refers to a plural noun ('ĕlōhîm) with a singular verb (bara).

Genesis 1:1 בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ׃

Literally: In the beginning of God's, He created the heavens and the earth
I'm sure that is what you have been taught. That does not make it true.

If is was "entirely appropriate as the teaching," then all translators prior to the Geneva Bible were inadequate for the job.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think so. See the short video Ron Wyatt talking about JESUS blood sample for his explanation.
He should write a paper and submit it to a journal for such a great discovery. When it is published in a scientific journal, then I will read it. I don't spend much time on videos, but thanks for mentioning it. At least now I am aware of its existence.

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure that is what you have been taught. That does not make it true.
Everything anyone knows has been taught to them. That is not relevant. I did not present an opinion. I presented objective evidence. I presented the original languages and a direct and quite literal translation of it into English. You here want to pretend like I've presented nothing of substance because you have nothing of substance with which to respond to it.

How do you sleep at night knowing that some random guy on the internet can argue you into silence against your doctrine by posting less than ten sentences?

If is was "entirely appropriate as the teaching," then all translators prior to the Geneva Bible were inadequate for the job.
News flash!....

"Appropriate" and "Necessary" are NOT synonyms!

This is why I began the sentence with "So you can capitalize the term "word" or not,"!

The point being that whether you capitalize it or not doesn't change the meaning of the words used in the passage as the rest of my post firmly establishes by citing the original languages!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was the incarnation of the second person of the Trinity. Even in the most mainstream Trinitarian theology, he "limited" himself in the incarnation. I know of no one who thinks Jesus the man was omniscient and omnipotent ("Hey, Jesus, how do you fix the transmission on a 1965 Ford F-150?"). To me, to try to make Jesus into God introduces more problems than it solves - how was Jesus God but without all the attributes of the second person of the Trinity? A "self-limited" incarnation of God - huh, what?

What does John really say? The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. But the Logos was both a Greek concept and an OT concept (Sophia, the personification of God's wisdom). As different as John's Jesus is from the Jesus of the Synoptics, he never clearly states that Jesus is God. I have a hard time believing that if Jesus were actually God and the doctrine of the Trinity were vitally important, this would not be stated FAR more clearly somewhere in the OT than it actually is.

I have no problem with the notion that Jesus was divine - the progeny of royalty are royal. I have no problem with the mysterious and largely unfathomable doctrine of the Trinity if someone finds this a useful way to think about God. But I do have a problem with those who insist that "Jesus was God" is an absolute Christian essential and that those who hold differing views are ipso facto not Christians.
There is not one verse that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you assuming only YHVH could "overcome the world". The Scriptures clearly state that YHVH's only begotten Son, Jesus, did that - Jesus said, John 16:33 (WEB):

(33) I have told you these things, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble; but cheer up! I have overcome the world.”​

John also wrote, 1 John 5:4 (YLT):

(4) because every one who is begotten of God doth overcome the world, and this is the victory that did overcome the world—our faith;​

Also, a minor correction - Jesus' blood had 24 chromosomes:

Normal blood has a total of 46 chromosomes. When a child is conceived, 23 chromosomes come from the mother and 23 come from the father. One of these pairs determines the gender. For this pair, the mother always provides an “X” chromosome (so called because its shape somewhat resembles the letter X). If the father provides an X chromosome then the child will contain the chromosomes XX and will always be female. If the father provides a “Y” chromosome (shaped to some extent like the letter Y) the child will have a chromosome combination of XY and will be male. All eggs produced by the female will be identical, containing only the X chromosome. For her to produce a male offspring the addition of a Y chromosome is necessary.​
The blood analysis from the Ark chamber showed a total of only 24 chromosomes. Of these 23 were derived from the mother, and there was one Y chromosome. This indicated that the blood belonged to a male. No human blood like this had ever been known to exist. This evidence shows not only that this was indeed Jesus’ blood, but also confirms the virgin birth! Jesus did not have a human father, the Y chromosome was provided by God’s Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35).​
Because all fell except Messiah... we gain because of Him. Oh and thanks for the correcting Chromosomes.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad you said "one of" the clearest because the clearest has to be John 1:1

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.​
John 1:1
Jesus Christ is not a lexical definition of logos. The verse does not say "In the beginning was Jesus." The "Word" is not synonymous with Jesus, or even the "Messiah." The word logos in John 1:1 refers to God's creative self-expression... His reason, purpose and plans, especially as they are brought into action. It refers to God's self-expression or communication of Himself. This has come to pass through His creation and especially the heavens. It has come through the spoken word of the prophets and through Scripture. Most notably it has come into being through His Son. The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

If we understand that the logos is God's expression... His plan, purpose, reason and wisdom. Then it is clear they were with Him "in the beginning." Scripture says God's wisdom was "from the beginning" and it was common in Hebrew writing to personify a concept such as wisdom. The fact that the logos "became" flesh shows it did not exist that way before. There is no pre-existence for Jesus in this verse other than his figurative "existence" as the plan, purpose or wisdom of God for the salvation of man. The same is true with the "word" in writing. It had no literal pre-existence as a "spirit-book" somehow in eternity past, but came into being as God gave the revelation to people and they wrote it down.

Reactions: Spyder

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He should write a paper and submit it to a journal for such a great discovery. When it is published in a scientific journal, then I will read it. I don't spend much time on videos, but thanks for mentioning it. At least now I am aware of its existence.
He can't do that - he's dead! He died in 1999. The video is only 4m 27s long - surely you can spare that amount of time to seek more knowledge about Jesus! I think the end of the video will make you emotional. joy:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes its one of many that declare He is God ( YHWH )

Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
'I am the first and I am the last,
And there is no God besides Me.

Isaiah 48:12
"Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called;
I am He, I am the first, I am also the last.

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins. Yes, if you don't believe that I AM(YHWH), you will die in your sins."

John 8:58
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I Am.(YHWH)"

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 20:28

Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Romans 9:5
Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ who is God over all forever praised! Amen.

Titus 2:13
looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Christ Jesus

1 Timothy 3:16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Hebrews 1:8
But of the Son He says,
"YOUR THRONE O GOD IS FOREVER AND EVER

Hebrews 1:10
He also says,
"In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours

2 Peter 1:11
for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

1 John 5:20
We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true even in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

These passages in Revelation make it clear that Jesus is God. Remember it is Jesus in the GNT who is Coming back to earth that every eye will see. It was Jesus who was pierced on the cross for our sins. John is clearly once again calling Jesus God!!!!!!! The Coming and the coming in the clouds never refers to the Father in the GNT but always to Jesus.

Revelation 1:7-8
7 BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
8 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

We know from Revelation 1:8 that Alpha and Omega is the Almighty. So we can see that Christ is the Almighty

Revelation 1:17
17And when I saw Him, I fell at his feet as dead. And He laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I Am the first and the last:

We know from Revelation 1:17-18 that the first and the last is He that liveth, was dead, but is alive forevermore is Christ.

Revelation 22:12-13
12 "Behold, I Am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. 13 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

We know from Revelation 22:13 that the first and the last is the Alpha and Omega.

Revelation 22:16,20
16 "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I Am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Conclusion
: So we can see that the One who comes/is coming in the NT always refers to Jesus the Son of Man and NEVER refers to the Father. Therefore we can conclude it is Jesus who is coming whom John calls God the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last.. This is sound biblical exegesis based on the context of the passage as well as the principle established in both Testaments on the One who is Coming in/with the Clouds- The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!
John 8:58
At the last super, the disciples were trying to find out who would deny the Christ. They said literally, "Not I am, Lord" Matthew 26:22, 25. No one would say the disciples were trying to deny they were God because they were using the phrase "Not I am." "I am" was a common way of designating oneself and it did not mean you were claiming to be God. The argument is made that because Jesus was "before" Abraham, Jesus must be God. Jesus figuratively existed in Abraham's time. He did not actually physically exist as a person, but rather he existed in the mind of God as God's plan for the redemption of man. In order for the Trinitarian argument that Jesus' "I am" statement in John 8:58 makes him God, his statement must be equivalent with God's "I am" statement in Exodus 3:14. The two statements are very different. The Greek phrase in John does mean "I am." The Hebrew phrase in Exodus means "to be" or "to become." God was saying "I will be what I will be."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear what you are saying..to me that is why I believe YHVH had to come himself..as no human man was capable of overcoming the world just YHVH. Have you seen the video about the testing of His blood Ron Wyatt did? There was only 23 chromosomes yet it was human blood? Do you not believe then this scripture:
Isaiah 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

I do use as instructed by Messiah and pray to Our Father as instructed, I don't pray to him, as he didn't instruct us to do that. I keep finding more and more truth.. but do you go backwards hearing truth or move forward testing what you learn? Messiah spoke Aramaic and his name is Aramaic I found so keep moving forward. I even found something totally new I didn't know that disciple Thomas started churches in India 54BC they say 7 reading comments in a video about Aramaic name used by this church in Kerala, India called Thomas Christians of Syrian Christians. They pronounce His name this way saw it in comments and I went searching.
Romans 5:15 says “For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.” Some theologians teach that only God could pay for the sins of mankind, but the Bible specifically says that a man must do it. The book of Corinthians makes the same point Romans does when it says “For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead” (1 Corinthians 15:21).

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because all fell except Messiah... we gain because of Him.
That's still no reason to suppose that the promised Messiah had to be God! What lousy reasoning!

Romans 8:3 (WEB):
(3) For what the law couldn’t do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh;​

God didn't "overcome the world" Himself, He sent his own Son to do it. The Scriptures are quite clear about that.

Jesus said, in prayer to God, John 17:3 (WEB):

(3) This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.​

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's still no reason to suppose that the promised Messiah had to be God! What lousy reasoning!

Romans 8:3 (WEB):
(3) For what the law couldn’t do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh;​

God didn't "overcome the world" Himself, He sent his own Son to do it. The Scriptures are quite clear about that.

Jesus said, in prayer to God, John 17:3 (WEB):R

(3) This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.​

Because He is Alpha and Omega plus.. Messiah is on the throne!!

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not one verse that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.
I accept the Trinity as a mystery and an established mainstream Christian doctrine, as opposed to railing against it. I am THOROUGHLY familiar with the history of the doctrine. The real issues worth pondering are (1) what does the Trinity mean - can we even begin to get our minds around it, and (2) how does the incarnated Jesus relate to the Second Person of the Trinity?

The point of my post was not "The Trinity is a false doctrine!", which would clearly violate forum rules. My point was that the doctrine of the Trinity was and is an attempt to come to grips with what the Incarnation was and who Jesus is. It is so mysterious that I have difficulty with those who insist it is a Christian essential - i.e., "I don't really understand the Trinity either, but you'd better at least say you believe it or you aren't a Christian!" Could Jesus have been the divine Son of God without the Trinity? I would think so, but I accept the doctrine as a mystery that does add a dimension to the faith.

Last edited:

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, a minor correction - Jesus' blood had 24 chromosomes:

Normal blood has a total of 46 chromosomes. When a child is conceived, 23 chromosomes come from the mother and 23 come from the father. One of these pairs determines the gender. For this pair, the mother always provides an “X” chromosome (so called because its shape somewhat resembles the letter X). If the father provides an X chromosome then the child will contain the chromosomes XX and will always be female. If the father provides a “Y” chromosome (shaped to some extent like the letter Y) the child will have a chromosome combination of XY and will be male. All eggs produced by the female will be identical, containing only the X chromosome. For her to produce a male offspring the addition of a Y chromosome is necessary.​
The blood analysis from the Ark chamber showed a total of only 24 chromosomes. Of these 23 were derived from the mother, and there was one Y chromosome. This indicated that the blood belonged to a male. No human blood like this had ever been known to exist. This evidence shows not only that this was indeed Jesus’ blood, but also confirms the virgin birth! Jesus did not have a human father, the Y chromosome was provided by God’s Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35).​
This is a simple abject intentional lie and it's utter stupidity to boot!

You must stop disseminating this nonsense! It is a lie that is INTENTIONALLY designed to make Christians look stupid! You, by presenting this obviously false nonsense, are just being Ron Wyatt's useful idiot. You should delete your post and apologize for being a conduit for spreading such obviously idiotic lies.

Yes, lies!
  • Ron Wyatt is known to have been a repeat, even habitual, liar.
  • Wyatt was caught on more than one occasion falsifying data, using completely out of context photographs and other dishonest tactics to spread intentional lies because he knew that enough gullible Christians would believe it to make him famous and sell lots of books.
  • The ark of the covenant has not been found.
  • They have not found Jesus' blood!
  • There isn't any way Jesus' blood could have ever gotten on the Ark to begin with.
  • Wyatt did not do any DNA testing of any kind.
  • There has never been any DNA test done by anyone, anywhere, for any reason that ever showed anything similar to "23 human chromosomes plus a Y chromosome."

Wyatt claimed to have found nearly 100 different biblical artifacts and sites, including the Ten Commandments, which I think we would have all heard about once or twice since the 1980s! He claimed to have found the sites of Sodom and Gomorrah, which has since been actually found by real archeologists. He claimed to have found Jesus Christ’s tomb, which no one goes to visit these days because it was an obvious fabrication. He "found" Goliath’s sword, of all the ridiculous things, as well as the exact location of the Red Sea Crossing and the above mentioned Ark of the Covenant, and a sampling of Christ’s dried blood.

Wyatt said that he’d found the remains of chariots and human bones from the Pharaoh’s destroyed forces while he was scuba diving at approximately 200 feet in the Red Sea, but no samples of the chariots or human bones were ever sent to professional scientists for independent testing. And, as for Christ’s dried blood, Wyatt told contradicting stories about the “lab” where the blood was tested. In some versions, the lab is located in Nashville, Tennessee, and in other versions, the lab is in Jerusalem. Guess what, he was lying! No such lab actually existed and neither did the blood!

I cannot even understand how it is even possible for people to be this gullible! How can anyone be so totally ignorant of how DNA works as to believe that Jesus' blood could have existed on a hard surface for over 2000 years and remained intact sufficient for DNA testing to be performed, never mind the idea that 24 chromosomes would have been sufficient to produce a recognizable, much less a working, human body. Do such people simply have nothing in the their minds that desires actual evidence? Do they believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy too? Is "Ancient Aliens" their favorite T.V. show? I'm mean, give me a break! I seriously wonder how such people make it through their lives without being talked into selling their own kidneys!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He can't do that - he's dead! He died in 1999. The video is only 4m 27s long - surely you can spare that amount of time to seek more knowledge about Jesus! I think the end of the video will make you emotional. joy:
I watched it. A big claim requires a big proof. He didn't have any. I would not spend more time on it unless his technicians publish a scientific article. That's how my brain works. See A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics.

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accept the Trinity as a mystery and an established mainstream Christian doctrine, as opposed to railing against it. I am THOROUGHLY familiar with the history of the doctrine. The real issues worth pondering are (1) what does the Trinity mean - can we even begin to get our minds around it, and (2) how does the incarnated Jesus relate to the Second Person of the Trinity?
This, I think, displays a healthy attitude toward the doctrine. It's clear to anyone who doesn't have a desire to disbelieve it that the bible teaches the doctrine in various ways but it is important to understand and acknowledge that it's neither overtly explicit (i.e. the term "trinity" is not in scripture) nor is it explained to us in any detail beyond the fact that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the Three persons in the Godhead. The precise nature of their relationship to one another is not explained nor is it even likely explainable to us. I suspect that such things transcend our existence sufficiently that there wouldn't be any way of communicating them to us because we simply have nothing in our experience by which to meaningfully conceptualize them.

Indeed, I find it a bit annoying when I encounter someone who tries to be the least bit dogmatic about the nature of the Trinity. They almost always are trying to turn the doctrine into a self-contradictory notion as a means to justify their belief in other irrational doctrines that they call "mysteries" or "antinomy" or some other pious sounding term and then chastise those who disagree for their lack of "faith".

It is better to stick strictly to what scripture says and leave the unanswered questions as just that, unanswered. There is a certain healthy humility in acknowledging that there are some questions we don't get the answers to during this life and that jumping to conclusions that are irrational nonsense just for the sake of saying you've got an answer is not only unhealthy hubris but is down right dangerous, if not heretical.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The point of my post was not "The Trinity is a false doctrine!", which would clearly violate forum rules. My point was that the doctrine of the Trinity was and is an attempt to come to grips with what the Incarnation was and who Jesus is. It is so mysterious that I have difficulty with those who insist it is a Christian essential - i.e., "I don't really understand the Trinity either, but you'd better at least say you believe it or you aren't a Christian!" Could Jesus have been the divine Son of God without the Trinity? I would think so, but I accept the doctrine as a mystery that does add a dimension to the faith.
I put together a few pages on it and you can read it here... Data On The Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.