The One Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The practice of confirmation may be well attested to but that doesn't make it any more right or scriptural. It's neither and equates to adding to the word of God. Do it practice it believe it, doesn't matter, it's plain man made-up nonsense, wrong, and contrary to scripture.

The Sacrament of Confirmation in Scripture and the Church Fathers

I have heard sola scriptura Protestants scoff that the Sacraments cannot be found in Scripture. They can. Though it is never referred to as “confirmation” in the Bible, the practice is clearly there.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Sacrament of Confirmation in Scripture and the Church Fathers

I have heard sola scriptura Protestants scoff that the Sacraments cannot be found in Scripture. They can. Though it is never referred to as “confirmation” in the Bible, the practice is clearly there.
It ain't there just like infant baptism ain't, or pouring water in lieu of baptizing, or baptism prior to belief and after the fact confirmation. None of this is scriptural and in fact is contrary to scripture.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did Paul say happens when we do the works for the wrong reasons?

Works are good and will be accomplished through the believer, but for what reason?

That reason will determine if your faith is acceptable or unacceptable.

We are no longer under Law, Marymog! Best to figure that out now, rather than later!

Jesus emphasized:
John 14:15
“If you love me, keep my commands.

Ummmm, and Paul also said:
Gal. 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

Rom. 2:6
He will render to each one according to his works:

If YOU believe thatFaith is devoid of good works – you are NO better off than the demons (James 2:19), who also “believe” in God.
True Faith = Belief + Obedience/Works.

Anything else is just the false doctrine of easy-believeism . . .
[/QUOTE]

@Charlie24 has rejected all the passages from Scripture I have given him that shows he is wrong. I suspect he will reject the passages you referenced also. None the less, thank you!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not a Catholic.
Jesus is not a Catholic
Paul is not a Catholic
Peter is not a Catholic.

Originally the Catholic denomination was titled the "cult of Mary".

Also....When Paul speaks of being sealed in/by the Holy Spirit, He's speaking of becoming born again.
This is to become spiritually ONE with God, as the Holy Spirit birth's the believers spirit into the Holy Spirit of God.
To be like you, a Protestant, means one thinks they can read Scripture, come to their own "truth" (interpretation) and that "truth" is just as valid as any another Protestants "truth". Each one thinking their "truth" is THE truth. Therefore, we can logically deduct that:

God is not a Protestant.
Jesus is not a Protestant
Paul is not a Protestant
Peter is not a Protestant.

The word catholic comes from a Greek word meaning “regarding the whole,” or, more simply, “universal” or “general.” The word church comes from the Greek ecclesia, which means “those called out,” as in those summoned out of the world at large to form a distinct society. Originally, in 110 AD, The Church was called catholic and not, as you have been falsely taught by your Protestent men, called "cult of Mary".

Therefore, we can logically deduct that God, Jesus, Paul and Peter are catholic, for over 1,900 years The Church has been called catholic and that you are, once again, wrong. :Laughingoutloud:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It ain't there just like infant baptism ain't, or pouring water in lieu of baptizing, or baptism prior to belief and after the fact confirmation. None of this is scriptural and in fact is contrary to scripture.
If you can show me the passage(s) in Scripture that give clear instructions on the does and don'ts of baptism that your denomination adheres too and backs up what you just said, I will join your denomination!

Patiently awaiting your evidence.....Mary

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can show me the passage(s) in Scripture that give clear instructions on the does and don'ts of baptism that your denomination adheres too and backs up what you just said, I will join your denomination!

Patiently awaiting your evidence.....Mary
I don't belong to a denomination.

BAPTISM
Necessity or option?
Baptism is required in order to:
· Be saved

Mark 16:16 “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved”

1st Peter 3:20/21 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (3:21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Titus 3:5 “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost”;

· Wash away/remit sins
· Contact the blood of Christ
· Be added to the Lord’s body which is the church
· Be buried/planted with Him in the likeness of his death thus enabling like resurrection
· Get “into” Him, put on Christ, and become a child of God
· Receive blessings in Him

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”.

Acts 2:41 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls”.

Acts 2:47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”

Acts 22:16
“And now why tarriest thou? arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord”

Rom 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death”?

Rom 6:4 “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life”.

Gal 3:26/27 “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ”.

1st Cor 12:13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Rom 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”:

Rev 1:5 “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood”-----

Heb 10:22 “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of Faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water”.

Col 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead”.
Steps to becoming a Christian
· (1) Hearing the word/gospel (Rom. 1:16, Mk. 16:15, Rom. 10: 14 thru 17, 1 Cor. 1:21 thru 24, Mat 7:24)
· (2) Believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (Mk. 16:16, Heb. 11:6, John 12:46)
· (3) Confessing this before men (Rom. 10:9, 10, Rom. 10:13, Acts 8:37, Mat 10:32)
· (4) Repenting of your sins (Acts 2:38, Luke 13:3, 5, 14:47)
· (5) Being baptized (immersed in water) for the remission (forgiveness) of your sins after which, you are added to the Church (above referenced). (Acts 2:38-41, 47)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't belong to a denomination.

BAPTISM
Necessity or option?
Baptism is required in order to:
· Be saved

Mark 16:16 “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved”

1st Peter 3:20/21 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (3:21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Titus 3:5 “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost”;

· Wash away/remit sins
· Contact the blood of Christ
· Be added to the Lord’s body which is the church
· Be buried/planted with Him in the likeness of his death thus enabling like resurrection
· Get “into” Him, put on Christ, and become a child of God
· Receive blessings in Him

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”.

Acts 2:41 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls”.

Acts 2:47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”

Acts 22:16
“And now why tarriest thou? arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord”

Rom 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death”?

Rom 6:4 “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life”.

Gal 3:26/27 “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ”.

1st Cor 12:13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Rom 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”:

Rev 1:5 “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood”-----

Heb 10:22 “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of Faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water”.

Col 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead”.
Steps to becoming a Christian
· (1) Hearing the word/gospel (Rom. 1:16, Mk. 16:15, Rom. 10: 14 thru 17, 1 Cor. 1:21 thru 24, Mat 7:24)
· (2) Believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (Mk. 16:16, Heb. 11:6, John 12:46)
· (3) Confessing this before men (Rom. 10:9, 10, Rom. 10:13, Acts 8:37, Mat 10:32)
· (4) Repenting of your sins (Acts 2:38, Luke 13:3, 5, 14:47)
· (5) Being baptized (immersed in water) for the remission (forgiveness) of your sins after which, you are added to the Church (above referenced). (Acts 2:38-41, 47)
Thanks DJT. The Church teaches that baptism is a necessity, so it appears we agree with each other on that.

I see you are unable to provide any verse(s) on HOW (immersion, poured, sprinkled) we are to be baptized or that we are not to baptize infants, so I guess I won't be joining your denomination OR adhering to what you have taught yourself (since you don't belong to a denomination).

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks DJT. The Church teaches that baptism is a necessity, so it appears we agree with each other on that.

I see you are unable to provide any verse(s) on HOW (immersion, poured, sprinkled) we are to be baptized or that we are not to baptize infants, so I guess I won't be joining your denomination OR adhering to what you have taught yourself (since you don't belong to a denomination).
You obviously don't know what baptism is. It's Greek. Look up the definition which is self explanatory. It's transliterated from Greek to English meaning it's the same word, not a translation with only letters changed to accommodate the language differences. It means to dip, plunge, immerse. It doesn't mean to sprinkle or pour which are totally different Greek words which are not interchangeable.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus emphasized:

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

If YOU believe thatFaith is devoid of good works – you are NO better off than the demons (James 2:19), who also “believe” in God.

@Charlie24 has rejected all the passages from Scripture I have given him that shows he is wrong. I suspect he will reject the passages you referenced also. None the less, thank you!
[/QUOTE]
The truth hurts – so he must REALLY be in pain . . .

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus emphasized:

[/QUOTE]

Well, Mary, when I see the Lord, He will know that I have placed my total faith for my salvation in His work on the Cross and His resurrection/ His work not mine!

He will know my water baptism was to publicly confess His name for the salvation that took place in my heart, and that I have added nothing to my faith in Him.

He will know that anything I have done as far as works were because I love Him and want to obey Him, not for my salvation,

Before you see the Lord, it might be a good idea to rehearse the answer to a question He may very well ask you. "Why was my death, burial, and resurrection for you not enough for your salvation that you had to add your works to it?"

Eph. 2:8-9
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast."

I have done nothing for my salvation but believe in Him, all I will have to offer Him is my faith and love. My works were not for my salvation, they were for my love for Him. "If you love Me, keep my Commandments."

It matters where we place our faith and where we place our works. Our faith placed in the right place (only Christ) will bring about works placed in the right place.

Reactions: RLT63

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, Mary, when I see the Lord, He will know that I have placed my total faith for my salvation in His work on the Cross and His resurrection/ His work not mine!

He will know my water baptism was to publicly confess His name for the salvation that took place in my heart, and that I have added nothing to my faith in Him.

He will know that anything I have done as far as works were because I love Him and want to obey Him, not for my salvation,

Before you see the Lord, it might be a good idea to rehearse the answer to a question He may very well ask you. "Why was my death, burial, and resurrection for you not enough for your salvation that you had to add your works to it?"

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

I have done nothing for my salvation but believe in Him, all I will have to offer Him is my faith and love. My works were not for my salvation, they were for my love for Him. "If you love Me, keep my Commandments."

It matters where we place our faith and where we place our works. Our faith placed in the right place (only Christ) will bring about works placed in the right place.
[/QUOTE]

A textbook example of the perversion of the Word of God.
Time for a Bible Lesson . . .

The works that we do as an essential element of our faith are NOT the works that are negatively spoken of in Eph. 2:8-9. Those are works that one does to EARN salvation.
The very next verse (Eph. 2:10) explains that the works we do as an essential element of our faith are works that GOD prepared FOR us in advance. They’re not OUR works – we simply COOPERATE with God in the woks that HE prepared.

Those who falsely believe that our obedience and cooperation are NOT an essential element of faith and that “belief” is all we need – are NO better off than the demons (James 2:19) who also believe.

THIS is why Paul writes that the ONLY thing that matters is faith WORKING through Love (Gal. 5:6).
THIS is why he says that without LOVE – Faith is worthless (1Cor. 13:1-13).
THIS
is why James writes that faith without works is DEAD (James 2:24).
And THIS is the kind of cooperation that Jesus warns will SAVE us or CONDEMN us (Matt. 25:31-46).

They’re not YOUR works, my arrogant friend.
They were PUT them for us by GOD . . .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We interrupt this for a quick reminder . Let no man woman or child enter into covenant with the CC
or with any other place that teaches dangerous doctrines .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The works that we do as an essential element of our faith are NOT the works that are negatively spoken of in Eph. 2:8-9. Those are works that one does to EARN salvation.
The very next verse (Eph. 2:10) explains that the works we do as an essential element of our faith are works that GOD prepared FOR us in advance. They’re not OUR works – we simply COOPERATE with God in the woks that HE prepared.

Those who falsely believe that our obedience and cooperation are NOT an essential element of faith and that “belief” is all we need – are NO better off than the demons (James 2:19) who also believe.

THIS is why Paul writes that the ONLY thing that matters is faith WORKING through Love (Gal. 5:6).
THIS
And THIS is the kind of cooperation that Jesus warns will SAVE us or CONDEMN us (Matt. 25:31-46).

[/QUOTE]

Paul tells us we are created to do good works, after he tells us our salvation is not by works.

So what is on the list of works a Catholic must do to be saved?

My list is faith in Christ, period!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

THIS

Paul tells us we are created to do good works, after he tells us our salvation is not by works.

My list is faith in Christ, period![/QUOTE]

To DO the will of God.
Rom, 10:13 says:
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

HOWEVER – Matt. 7:21 explicitly states:
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ONLY the one who DOES THE WILL of my Father who is in heaven.

As I showed you in my last post – Eph. 2:8, 9 condemns your trying to EARN your salvation. It doesn't condemn works as "unnecessary".
Eph. 2:10 gives the credit for your works to GOD, where it belongs.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, Mary, when I see the Lord, He will know that I have placed my total faith for my salvation in His work on the Cross and His resurrection/ His work not mine! He will know that anything I have done as far as works were because I love Him and want to obey Him, not for my salvation,[/QUOTE]That is according to YOUR interpretation of His word. For you see Charlie, your faith without works is dead. And since you know Scripture so well you also know that He will render to each one according to his works.

Jesus has already told YOU Charlie ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Why will they go away to eternal punishment Charlie? Because you didn't do the works he TOLD you to do Charlie (Matthew 25:35-40). Soooo it IS for your salvation.

So,
whomever lied to you and told you that you don't have to do works to be saved....stay away from them and listen to Him and not them.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

[/QUOTE]
At no place and at no time does Scripture ever say that baptism is a public confession. However, Scripture does say that baptism saves you and washes away your sins. Your men have not taught you well Charlie.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My list is faith in Christ, period!

To DO the will of God.
Rom, 10:13 says:
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

HOWEVER – Matt. 7:21 explicitly states:
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ONLY the one who DOES THE WILL of my Father who is in heaven.

As I showed you in my last post – Eph. 2:8, 9 condemns your trying to EARN your salvation. It doesn't condemn works as "unnecessary".
Eph. 2:10 gives the credit for your works to GOD, where it belongs.
[/QUOTE]
IF you faith and trust was truly in CHRIST ONLY then why do you follow pope francis and support him .
We cant support both christ and darkness . YOUR TRUST IN IS the christ men preached not JESUS CHRIST .
PEROID .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone who says my trust is in CHRIST ALONE and yet follows false teachers , FAITH IS NOT IN CHRIST ALONE
its in their false teachers . PEROID . RUN from ROME , RUN from the CC . And never look back

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obviously don't know what baptism is. It's Greek. Look up the definition which is self explanatory. It's transliterated from Greek to English meaning it's the same word, not a translation with only letters changed to accommodate the language differences. It means to dip, plunge, immerse. It doesn't mean to sprinkle or pour which are totally different Greek words which are not interchangeable.

Immersion is not the only meaning of baptizo. Sometimes it just means washing up. Thus Luke 11:38 reports that, when Jesus ate at a Pharisee’s house, “the Pharisee was astonished to see that he did not first wash [baptizo] before dinner.” According to Mark, the Pharisees “do not eat unless they wash [nipto] their hands, observing the tradition of the elders; and when they come from the market place, they do not eat unless they wash themselves [baptizo]” (Mark 7:3–4a, emphasis added). So baptizo can mean cleansing or ritual washing as well as immersion.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Mary, when I see the Lord, He will know that I have placed my total faith for my salvation in His work on the Cross and His resurrection/ His work not mine! He will know that anything I have done as far as works were because I love Him and want to obey Him, not for my salvation,
That is according to YOUR interpretation of His word. For you see Charlie, your faith without works is dead. And since you know Scripture so well you also know that He will render to each one according to his works.

Jesus has already told YOU Charlie ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Why will they go away to eternal punishment Charlie? Because you didn't do the works he TOLD you to do Charlie (Matthew 25:35-40). Soooo it IS for your salvation.

So,
whomever lied to you and told you that you don't have to do works to be saved....stay away from them and listen to Him and not them.
[/QUOTE]

You've got to get this right, Mary.

Rom. 4:3-5
"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Do you see this? Our works are not counted toward Grace, it counts as debt, which means if we count our works as necessary for salvation, the Grace no longer exists.

But to the one who that does not work for salvation, then His faith is counted as Grace.

Salvation must be 100% of God! We cannot count our works as salvation at all! Our works come from the fact we have already been saved by faith.

James said, "show me your faith without your works and I will show you my faith by my works." In other words, James is saying that our works are a result of our salvation. James is NOT saying that faith + works = salvation, that is a huge mistake! It is a mistake that will keep you out of the Kingdom of God!

Faith in Christ is our salvation, without any works at all. When that salvation is sealed by faith, and we receive the Holy Spirit, then the works will come for the right reason, as a result of our faith that gave us salvation.

Making works a requirement for salvation is going to be the ruin of many!