The Orthodox Preterist versus the Heretical Dispensationalist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Non-sequitor. This does not negate God's promise that the nation of Israel would remain a nation before Him for as long as the sun and moon still rise and set.

This does not negate God's promise that there is nothing they could do to make Him cast them off.

God removed the kingdom of God from the rulers of Israel, but He did not cast them off as a nation.

Matthew 21:45 KJV
And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Jeremiah 31:35-37 KJV
35) Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36) If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37) Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Isaiah 59:20-21 KJV
20) And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.
21) As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

I believe Him.

Much love!
You didn't answer the question.

Matthew 21
43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

What nation is that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While this is true for the meaning of the word "dispensationalism," it doesn't really describe how the word applies *technically.* Dispensationalism is a school of thought that certainly adds some dispensations, but to say that "adding dispensations" is not significant to the matter of "orthodoxy" is another thing entirely.
Yes, I've seen charts and such of up to 11 dispensations. I think that's a bit much!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim Israel is the nation. So Israel is a non-sequitur?
No. Whether or not God takes the His kingdom from Israel to give to another nation is non-sequitor to whether or not Israel continues to remain a nation before God. He can remove His kingdom from them while continuing to hold them as a nation, just as He promised:

35) Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36) If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37) Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because it's non-sequitor.

Do you see how God prophesied the preservation of Israel, the ethnic nation?

Much love!
The nation in Matthew 21:43 is a non-sequitur?

Have you told the Holy Spirit who inspired it?

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No. Whether or not God takes the His kingdom from Israel to give to another nation is non-sequitor to whether or not Israel continues to remain a nation before God. He can remove His kingdom from them while continuing to hold them as a nation, just as He promised:

Much love!
I'm not asking about Israel. I'm asking about the identity of the nation in Matthew 21:43.

Why don't you know it?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The nation in Matthew 21:43 is a non-sequitur?

Have you told the Holy Spirit who inspired it?
Whether or not God takes the His kingdom from Israel to give to another nation is non-sequitur to whether or not Israel continues to remain a nation before God. He can remove His kingdom from them while continuing to hold them as a nation, just as He promised:

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not asking about Israel. I'm asking about the identity of the nation in Matthew 21:43.

Why don't you know it?
You are off my topic here . . . and you have not responded to my content. If you have something to say feel free, but I'm not interested in diverting from what I'm saying at this point.

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point I was making about a pre-70 AD date for Revelation is, that view has been held in the history of the church, centuries past, so that keeps it within orthodoxy.
I Disagree, as you have been clearly shown, the early church fathers described in detail, John wrote the Revelation while in prison at Patmos, under the rule of Emperor Domitian 81AD-96AD, your claim of 70AD fails

You're speaking on behalf of the reformed preterist eschatology today, that has run rampant after the reformation, and it doesn't hold what you call is orthodoxy, I strongly disagree

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are off my topic here . . . and you have not responded to my content. If you have something to say feel free, but I'm not interested in diverting from what I'm saying at this point.

Much love!
The physical nation of Israel ceased to be a physical nation multiple times during its OT exiles for apostasy and during the many centuries after 70 AD. It is not the Israel which satisfies God's declaration in Jeremiah 31.

There is only one Israel which satisfies His declaration. It is the spiritual Israel of those who remained faithful and obedient to Him in the OT while the physical nation apostasized; and the Holy Nation to whom He gave His Kingdom in the NT: His Church. Matthew 21:43, 1 Peter 2:9.

What you're saying and what God is saying are diametrically opposed.

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Title should really be

The Heretical Preterist versus the Heretical Dispensationalist​

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently you don't know who God's Nation is.
I'm going to keep pointing you back to this.

Either this passage is true, or God is a liar. I believe it's true.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently you don't know who God's Nation is.
Well, to be fair, none of us knows who all is included in God's Nation, Israel. :) What I think you to be saying (to Marks and others) is that God's Israel is a people, not a physical country, or nation, not a place on the map. And if so, I wholeheartedly agree. Certainly we can read many passages and see this, but nowhere more clear than what Paul writes in Romans:

"For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God" (Romans 2:28-29).

"...not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but 'Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.' This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring... What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory ~ even us whom He has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? As indeed He says in Hosea, 'Those who were not my people I will call "my people," and her who was not beloved I will call "beloved"'" (Romans 9:6-8, 22-26).

"Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened... salvation has come to the Gentiles... some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree... And even (ethnic Jews), if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again... Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved..." (Romans 11:7-26)

But He does.
Absolutely. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Reactions: covenantee

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a lot of 'isms. In fact so many that it is hard to determine just what it is that you are trying to say. Best I can figure is that you are against the idea of dispensationalism. But then, not being a fan of 'isms, I am not sure I even know what that even means-- which is not to say that I don't understand the scriptures. I do. It's rather the 'isms of men that I don't fully understand.
Well, I think calling the "isms" of men is really at least a bit misleading. Not that anyone is trying to be misleading, but it's just a way of classifying human understandings of things. As for dispensationalism ~ and let's just call it dispensational theology ~ the... well, on the other side of the fence is covenantal theology. Both fall under the broader category of theology, which is, by definition, not of man but of God... the study of the nature of God. And I'll just say, to make a long story short, at least for now... :)... that we worship a covenant-making God. :) And also that that one Covenant does not change, but is revealed in cumulative and better ways in the form of what we might call lesser covenants (Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic) until we see it's final, full fruition in the Person Christ Jesus. I think you agree, which makes you a... "Covenantist," or "Covenantalist," I guess... :)

And just to say... I've heard dispensationalism facetiously referred to as "God's series of Plan Bs." That's... pretty accurate... :) Yeah, I mean, throughout history, I don't think God was up there in heaven at various times saying, "Well shoot, that didn't work, so let's try this..." :) Anyway, yeah, no, there was never any need for even one "Plan B"... :)

Evens so, I am intrigued by your style, so I have a question: How does "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd" (John 10:16) fit into your idea of dispensationalism or the lack thereof?
Interesting question... :)

Grace and peace to all!

No Pre-TB

Jan 15, 2022
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that curse the Jewish people are cursed by God!!
Was it the Jewish people that the saying, bless those that bless you - curse those that curse you, or was it directed to the sons of God (believers whether Jew or Gentile) ?

Where is its fulfillment found and in whom?

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm going to keep pointing you back to this.

Either this passage is true, or God is a liar. I believe it's true.

Much love!
Apparently you don't know who did not "cease from being a nation before God for ever".

But God knows.