The Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marks,
I think as we progress through the story it's essence will show us whether it could be a literal event or not, if not, the Parable takes on a far deeper meaning for all involved.
F2F
Doesn't God use literal events to teach through their living parable?

Be really careful in taking narrative passages and declaring them to be parables. Maybe you are right, however, If Jesus tells me that there was a certain man who ate really well, and wore purple, and so forth . . . who am I to say that there actually wasn't, and He's making it up?

Much love!

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i am far far from perfect but i am learning and with the love of the Brethren = i am growing in Christ - amen
Me too, I’m learning not to take things that are said, personally.....taken many years to get to this place.

Nice to meet you David.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Doesn't God use literal events to teach through their living parable?

Be really careful in taking narrative passages and declaring them to be parables. Maybe you are right, however, If Jesus tells me that there was a certain man who ate really well, and wore purple, and so forth . . . who am I to say that there actually wasn't, and He's making it up?

Much love!
As you can see from this thread you have those who deny with special pleading and no evidence; others here will use CAPS and bold text with no evidence but if you read through these notes the story is perfectly formed to teach certain lessons abot the judgements coming upon those who oppress the poor. It starts as a Parable; in fact it start in precisely the same manner as the Lord's previuos Parable which of course no one denies is a Parable. The name of the poor person has been given by the Lord becuase of its meaning! And all this evidence only has us considering two verses. It's a very well crafted Parable designed to reveal the corruption and greed in the religous elite and it does so perfectly.

F2F

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too, I’m learning not to take things that are said, personally.....taken many years to get to this place.

Nice to meet you David.
Wonderful to meet you as well.

We are all looking for the Day of His Coming for that Joyous Liberty that consumes our flesh and transforms it into His Glorious Image.

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
1 John 3:1-3

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
SEE, i told you it was not a parable and that it was SELF-EVIDENT by the very words of Christ = Post #38

Simple Truth = the LORD Jesus Christ transitions from a parable 16:1-13 to DIRECT REALITY in 16:14-18 and HE finalizes HIS parable of 16:1-13 with the ACTUAL REALITY in 16:16-31
The parable will evenuate in actual reality, but as shown this Parable is the climax to all the Parables the Lord gave in Chapter 15 & 16.
We have a long way to go yet David, so sit tight!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marks be honest! - read over @David in NJ remarks in this thread and explain to me his evidence for this not being a Parable. Provide a summary of his thoughts.

I doubt you can do it - the list will be extremely short.

F2F

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you can see from this thread you have those who deny with special pleading and no evidence; others here will use CAPS and bold text with no evidence but if you read through these notes the story is perfectly formed to teach certain lessons abot the judgements coming upon those who oppress the poor. It starts as a Parable; in fact it start in precisely the same manner as the Lord's previuos Parable which of course no one denies is a Parable. The name of the poor person has been given by the Lord becuase of its meaning! And all this evidence only has us considering two verses. It's a very well crafted Parable designed to reveal the corruption and greed in the religous elite and it does so perfectly.

F2F
Do you think there is an actual "Abraham's bosom"? Sheol, in the heart of the earth, that had been divided into two sides by a great chasm?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
read over @David in NJ remarks in this thread and explain to me his evidence for this not being a Parable. Provide a summary of his thoughts.
That's your discussion with him. I have my own thoughts.

Much love!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dear face2face,
Yes, the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus is a parable and it's message is told told through "spiritual symbols" just like all parables do. To understand the parable, we must first identify the meaning of the symbols.

The Rich Man represents the Nation of Israel who is "rich" because they were given the treasure of God (the Old Testament scriptures). The Rich Man is not rich because of his material wealth as you suppose. His riches are a symbol for his being given God's Word.

Lazarus is a symbol for the Gentiles who are spiritually poor because they were not given the Old Testament scriptures.

But because the Rich Man (Nation of Israel) left out the "weightier matters of the law", they were rejected by Christ:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

In other words, the Rich Man (Nation of Israel) was found lacking and as a result, he needed to repent. For this reason, John the Baptist came and made the call of repentance to the Nation of Israel. For those who repented (the 120 Jewish Elect), the pathway for Christ to "come again" to them with the Latter Rain was made straight. However, the Nation of Israel, in large part, did not repent and as a result, they were cast into outer darkness where they dwell to this day.

The parable's overall teaching is that the Kingdom of Heaven will be taken from the Nation of Israel and given to the Gentiles. It has nothing to do with the false teachings of the apostate church on heaven and hell.

As for this verse you quoted:

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mammon is referring to the riches of this world (man's works) which come from the lies and deceptions of Satan. Mammon is not referring to literal money.

Satan's teachings are based upon "works" (the crooked way from the crooked serpent). In contrast, Christ's riches are based upon faith alone. When a believer mixes "works" with "faith", they are trying to serve two masters (Satan and Christ). That is what Christ is teaching in the Mat 6:24.

Here is another scripture which teaches about "riches":

Mat 19:16-22 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

When Christ is speaking to the young rich man (represents the Nation of Israel) in Mat 19:16-22, Christ tells the man to sell all his riches and give the proceeds to the poor (the Gentiles). However, Christ is speaking about the man's spiritual riches of this world (mammon). These riches have taught the young man that salvation can come through his own works (following the Law of Moses). However, the man's riches cannot save him because no man has the ability to keep the Law perfectly.

The Law was given to the Nation of Israel to lead them to Christ. It was not given to them to save them. Therefore, Christ tells the man to give up his riches so that he can receive the true "treasure in heaven" (Christ and the New Covenant).

The Gentiles' pathway to salvation is the same. They will also go through the Law so that they will be lead to Christ. For that reason, Christ tells the man to give his riches to the poor (the Gentiles) so that they can start their journey to Christ and salvation.

Joe
Thanks Joe.
I've been reluctant to apply those spiritual overlays to this study....yet, as its important to understand the way Jesus crafted this Parable why he apply's meaning to each detail - his appraoch in using their false teachings to show their condemnation is masterful.

Agree with all you have wrote thanks

F2F

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't Jesus say this before Lazarus had actually died?