The Paraclete DWELLS in you

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you abide in Jesus, the Paraclete won't move out.

After the last supper, Jesus told his disciples in (Berean Standard Bible) John 14:

16 I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate [Paraclete] to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth.
There is an intended forever-permanency about the Paraclete.

The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides [G3306] with you and will be in you.
The Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ refers to the Paraclete. The Paraclete is the special operation of the Holy Spirit that dwells in a believer's human spirit. This is a spiritual reality.

Romans 8:

9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells [G3611] in you [plural]. Anyone [singular] who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
Strong's Greek: 3611. οἰκέω (oikeó) — 9 Occurrences

BDAG οἰκέω:

① to reside in a place, live, dwell
Paul continued:

10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells [G3611] in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells [G1774] in you.
Strong's Greek: 1774. ἐνοικέω (enoikeó) — 5 Occurrences

HELPS Word-studies:

1774 enoikéō (from 1722 /en "in," intensifying 3611 /oikéō, "dwell" at home, in one's personal residence) – properly, dwelling in a state (condition), i.e. at home; to inhabit ("in-habit") as one's personal residence (abiding indwelling).
1 Corinthians 3:

16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells [G3611] in you?
1 Corinthians 6:

17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
Paraclete Holy Spirit directly connects with the human spirit as a oneness spiritual reality.

Ephesians 3:

14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
i.e., the Paraclete

17 so that Christ may dwell [G2730] in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love.
Strong's Greek: 2730. κατοικέω (katoikeó) — 45 Occurrences

HELPS Word-studies:

2730 katoikéō (from 2596 /katá, "down, according to," intensifying 3611 /oikéō, "dwell, reside") – properly, settle down as a permanent resident, i.e. in a fixed (permanent) dwelling place as one's personal residence; (figuratively) "to be exactly at home."
[The force of the prefix (2596 /katá) suggests "down to the finest, exact details."]
There are three Greek words for to dwell:

1. οἰκέω, to dwell
  2. ἐνοικέω, to dwell in, an intensification of οἰκέω
  3. κατοικέω, to dwell down, to settle down, another intensification of οἰκέω
God's Spirit dwells/resides in every one of us, individually and collectively. When a person is born again, or born from above, or born of the Spirit, the Paraclete takes up residence in him.

Does the Paraclete dwell in you permanently?

Yes, after I was born of the Paraclete, naturally, my human spirit started to grow in the Holy Spirit. The bond of abiding is growing stronger and stronger. I have no intention of disconnecting this bond. For some believers, that may not be the case. Every branch in Christ that does not bear fruit the Father takes away.

See also Will the Paraclete vacate his dwelling in a believer?

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After the last supper, Jesus told his disciples in (Berean Standard Bible) John 14:

Later, Paul explained the "in" in Romans 8:

The Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ refers to the Paraclete. The Paraclete is the special operation of the Holy Spirit that dwells permanently in a believer's human spirit. This is a spiritual reality.

The Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ refers to the Paraclete. The Paraclete is the special operation of the Holy Spirit that dwells permanently in a believer's human spirit. This is a spiritual reality.

BDAG οἰκέω:

Paul continued:

1 Corinthians 3:

God's Spirit dwells/resides in every one of us individually and collectively. When a person is born again, or born from above, or born of the Spirit, the Paraclete takes up residence in him.
God demonstrated how He indwells a community of people when the smoke of His presence filled the OT Temple. It was described as a "glory," or perhaps a "light." God's Person indwelt the light and the glory, making people aware of God as a Person in their midst.

The temple worship was designed to show that God indwelt the temple as an illustration that He is Israel's Redeemer. As He indwelt the temple that was in the midst of Israel so God's Presence longs to be in and among His people. However, before Christ's redemption, what was to guarantee that Sin would not separate the individual from God later on?

In the NT, on the Day of Pentecost, tongues of fire rested on each individual believer in the Upper Room. This indicates that just as the ancient Prophets had the Spirit move upon them, so individuals who have been redeemed through Christ can now have the Spirit of God indwell them for Eternal Life.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Paraclete ~is the special operation~ of the Holy Spirit that dwells permanently in a believer's human spirit. This is a spiritual reality.
Hello Tony, please explain what you mean by the above.

--Papa Smurf