THE PEOPLE’S CHURCH

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
“We turn now to consider ... the seventh Epistle, addressed to the church of the Laodiceans (Revelation 3:14-22).

This Epistle portrays the last state of the professing church on earth, a state characterized by high pretentions and self-sufficiency, but so utterly nauseous to Christ that He declares “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, I will spue thee out of My mouth” (vs. 15, 16).

The word Laodicea means “the rule of the laity or people.” It is the people’s church, not Christ’s, for notice He is outside (vs. 20), standing and knocking for admission. Its condition is described as “lukewarm:” it is neither one thing nor the other, partly hot and partly cold. How accurately this describes the present day condition of the professing church! A condition of mixture — mixed up with the world, claiming to be heavenly and yet clinging to everything that is earthly; bearing the name of Christ and yet misrepresenting Him and putting Him to an open shame. Much religion but little life. Much activity but little vitality.

Much doing but little accomplished. Much display but little power. Neither hot nor cold: neither out and out for God, nor out and out for the Devil. “Lukewarm,” as though hot and cold water had been poured into the same vessel. This is exactly what we have in the churches today — intense worldliness and wickedness veneered over with humanitarian and religious pretenses.

Another characteristic of Laodicea is the spirit of boasting — “Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing” (vs. 17). Loud and lofty are the pretentions of the professing church, but how shallow they really are! There is much ostentatious parading of resources, but it is an empty profession.

There is self-conceit, showy attainments, architectural display, intellectual acquirements, influential numbers, but Christ is excluded! In this church (see the Epistle), unlike all the previous ones, there is nothing whatever in it that Christ commends — sad commentary upon its true condition! But this is merely negative: there is much in it that He condemns — “and knowest not that thou are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” (vs. 17).

The church is utterly ignorant of its actual and deplorable state. Its leaders are crying “Peace and safety” when “sudden destruction” is upon them (1 Thessalonians 5:3). Unspeakably sad is this. Whilever there is recognition of our condition and our need, there is hope, for recognition and acknowledgement of weakness is the secret of strength (2 Corinthians 12:9). But self-complacency is fatal. For self-righteousness there is no remedy. Though self-sufficient and self-righteous the professing church will shortly be “spued out” by the One whose name it bears.” AWP

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
mjrhealth said:
Well said.
mjrhealth said:
Well said.

Isn't sad that many so-called Christians get caught up in the world system of "rights based' belief. I tend to believe most that passes for Christianity is nothing more than 'social holiness'. FLESH cloaked with religious garb. They have the lingalee, the poise and their entourage. They are set to go.

They're wordily wise, self-conceited. They prefer the praise of men than the praise of God and they have a form of Godliness but lack the power thereof... . They're anti patriarchy and revolt against authority and they love to make merchandise of people.

The're pro-feminism and claim equal authority. They undermine the authority chain in church and in general and despise/hate all who appose them.

They speak of the headship of Christ but undermine his established authority chain, whenever they can. They are SELF-WORSHIPERS who walk after the flesh!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
“We turn now to consider ... the seventh Epistle, addressed to the church of the Laodiceans (Revelation 3:14-22).

This Epistle portrays the last state of the professing church on earth, a state characterized by high pretentions and self-sufficiency, but so utterly nauseous to Christ that He declares “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, I will spue thee out of My mouth” (vs. 15, 16).

The word Laodicea means “the rule of the laity or people.” It is the people’s church, not Christ’s, for notice He is outside (vs. 20), standing and knocking for admission. Its condition is described as “lukewarm:” it is neither one thing nor the other, partly hot and partly cold. How accurately this describes the present day condition of the professing church! A condition of mixture — mixed up with the world, claiming to be heavenly and yet clinging to everything that is earthly; bearing the name of Christ and yet misrepresenting Him and putting Him to an open shame. Much religion but little life. Much activity but little vitality.

Much doing but little accomplished. Much display but little power. Neither hot nor cold: neither out and out for God, nor out and out for the Devil. “Lukewarm,” as though hot and cold water had been poured into the same vessel. This is exactly what we have in the churches today — intense worldliness and wickedness veneered over with humanitarian and religious pretenses.

Another characteristic of Laodicea is the spirit of boasting — “Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing” (vs. 17). Loud and lofty are the pretentions of the professing church, but how shallow they really are! There is much ostentatious parading of resources, but it is an empty profession.

There is self-conceit, showy attainments, architectural display, intellectual acquirements, influential numbers, but Christ is excluded! In this church (see the Epistle), unlike all the previous ones, there is nothing whatever in it that Christ commends — sad commentary upon its true condition! But this is merely negative: there is much in it that He condemns — “and knowest not that thou are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” (vs. 17).

The church is utterly ignorant of its actual and deplorable state. Its leaders are crying “Peace and safety” when “sudden destruction” is upon them (1 Thessalonians 5:3). Unspeakably sad is this. Whilever there is recognition of our condition and our need, there is hope, for recognition and acknowledgement of weakness is the secret of strength (2 Corinthians 12:9). But self-complacency is fatal. For self-righteousness there is no remedy. Though self-sufficient and self-righteous the professing church will shortly be “spued out” by the One whose name it bears.” AWP
Hey there, JB.

Where did you get that definition of "Laodicea"? Just curious. I could only find "Lukewarm or indifferent".

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Axehead said:
Hey there, JB.

Where did you get that definition of "Laodicea"? Just curious. I could only find "Lukewarm or indifferent".
Axehead said:
Hey there, JB.

As indicated by REX.

Also,

G2994
Λαοδικεύς
Laodikeus
lah-od-ik-yooce'
From G2993; a Laodicean, that is, inhabitant of Laodicia: - Laodicean.

G2993
Λαοδίκεια
Laodikeia
Lah-od-ik'-i-ah
From a compound of G2992 and G1349; Laodicia, a place in Asia Minor: - Laodicea.

G2992
λαός
laos
lah-os'
Apparently a primary word; a people (in general; thus differing from G1218, which denotes one’s own populace): - people.

G1349
δίκη
dikē
dee'-kay
Probably from G1166; right (as self evident), that is, justice (the principle, a decision, or its execution): - judgment, punish, vengeance.

Read ἐν Ααοδικείᾳ in Laodicea. Laodicea means_ justice of the people. VWS

The city was in the southwest of Phrygia, on the river Lycus, not far from Colosse, and lying between it and Philadelphia. It was destroyed by an earthquake, a.d. 62, and rebuilt by its wealthy citizens without the help of the state [Tacitus, Annals, 14.27]. This wealth (arising from the excellence of its wools) led to a self-satisfied, lukewarm state in spiritual things, as Rev_3:17 describes.. JFB