The perpetual paschal mystery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but i'll just say that if the crucifixion is perpetual does that mean His suffering or dying?

Hello Nondenom,

No, no, no! Jesus suffered and died ONCE for all, and now LIVES forever. But HIS offering is ever before the Father in eternity. Thus the paschal mystery transcends time! And thus it is present in every age and in every place...

This is why scripture speaks of HIM 'slain before the foundation of the world ' and why John sees HIM in heaven as 'a Lamb that seemed to have been slain'

It is only through HIM and with HIM and in HIM, that we offer ourselves to our Almighty Father! He unites our offering with HIS ONE offering, and the pure offering of Malachi 1:11 is fulfilled.

To enter into and participate in HIS perpetual paschal mystery, is to enter into HIS ONE passion and death, that we may walk in the power of HIS ressurection!

Not that we have any life of our own, but that HE shares HIS eternal life with us, and thus do we LIVE!

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

Peace be with you!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not just to "look to that death" like the OT sacrifices, but to share in that death, and in His resurrection.
To share in His sufferings. What does that look like, would you say?

Much love!

Indeed.

It looks like love! It looks like laying down our lives for God and for each other.

It looks like dying daily to ourselves and being obedient to our Fathers will, whatever the cost.

It looks like this:
giotto_crucifix.jpg

Peace!

Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed.

It looks like love! It looks like laying down our lives for God and for each other.

It looks like dying daily to ourselves and being obedient to our Fathers will, whatever the cost.

It looks like this:
giotto_crucifix.jpg

Peace!
The stake He was placed on most likely wasn’t that fancy, but yes something like that

Reactions: marks

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Scripture, the sacrifice of Christ cannot be a PERPETUAL sacrifice, as claimed in the Catholic Mass. That would be a denial of THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST for our redemption.

You misunderstand. It is ' THE THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST' that is ever before our Almighty Father in eternity!
From Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

1085 In the liturgy of the Church, it is principally his own Paschal mystery that Christ signifies and makes present. During his earthly life Jesus announced his Paschal mystery by his teaching and anticipated it by his actions. When his Hour comes, he lives out the unique event of history which does not pass away: Jesus dies, is buried, rises from the dead, and is seated at the right hand of the Father "once for all." His Paschal mystery is a real event that occurred in our history, but it is unique: all other historical events happen once, and then they pass away, swallowed up in the past. the Paschal mystery of Christ, by contrast, cannot remain only in the past, because by his death he destroyed death, and all that Christ is - all that he did and suffered for all men - participates in the divine eternity, and so transcends all times while being made present in them all. the event of the Cross and Resurrection abides and draws everything toward life.
(emphasis mine)

When the veil in the temple at Jerusalem was supernaturally torn in two from top to bottom, that was the end of temple sacrifices and the Levitical priesthood.

Indeed and Jesus replaced that priesthood with HIS own, 'according to the order of Melchizadek' .
Melchizadek's offering was in the form of bread and wine...

'When the hour had come HE took bread...'

What hour was that?
You shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, and then, with the whole assembly of Israel present, it shall be slaughtered during the evening twilight.

The Roman Catholic Church has created an UNAUTHORIZED human priesthood, with an UNAUTHORIZED daily sacrifice of Christ.

Peace be with you!

Jesus created a human priesthood when HE commanded: 'do this, in memory of me' . Clearly it is not just the Church in Rome, but indeed all the ancient apostolic churches who say and do these things... Thus your idea that the 'priesthood' began in Rome is shown to be false.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God is not looking for a cheering section, but they who follow His Son. To those He gives His grace so that we can be empowered to represent God...and not ourselves.

Indeed! This is why the latin Church calls the Divine Liturgy 'Mass'.
For we are sent forth out into the world to bring God's love to others.

Peace be with you!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You misunderstand. It is ' THE THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST' that is ever before our Almighty Father in eternity!
From Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

1085 In the liturgy of the Church, it is principally his own Paschal mystery that Christ signifies and makes present. During his earthly life Jesus announced his Paschal mystery by his teaching and anticipated it by his actions. When his Hour comes, he lives out the unique event of history which does not pass away: Jesus dies, is buried, rises from the dead, and is seated at the right hand of the Father "once for all." His Paschal mystery is a real event that occurred in our history, but it is unique: all other historical events happen once, and then they pass away, swallowed up in the past. the Paschal mystery of Christ, by contrast, cannot remain only in the past, because by his death he destroyed death, and all that Christ is - all that he did and suffered for all men - participates in the divine eternity, and so transcends all times while being made present in them all. the event of the Cross and Resurrection abides and draws everything toward life.
(emphasis mine)
Hi Phillip James,

I would instead say that the effect remains, but the event is past. By Christ's death He destroyed the power of death, but that doesn't mean that death is held at bay by His ongoing death. But because He died and rose again, and ascended into heaven, death is swallowed up in victory.

Much love!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Phillip James,

I would instead say that the effect remains, but the event is past. By Christ's death He destroyed the power of death, but that doesn't mean that death is held at bay by His ongoing death. But because He died and rose again, and ascended into heaven, death is swallowed up in victory.

Much love!

YES. Jesus' passion, death and resurrection are an EVENT that happened once in time. And HE lives forever!

But the offering of that EVENT to the Father, by Jesus Christ is ever before HIM in eternity!

And it is through that EVENT that all creation is reconciled, and everything made new. Yes, since before the foundation of the world!

Peace

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Enoch, I don’t seek to save my life. I want to be freed from this body of death.
How come you are constantly going off on a tanget?

Please note from the OP: "Further, I would suggest that unless one can grasp this, they will not understand the Divine Liturgy (Mass). In the Divine Liturgy, we celebrate and participate in that perpetual paschal mystery.

Have you investigated the Catholic Mass and how it violates the finished work of Christ? A priest who has NOT been authorized by God sacrifices Christ daily on an altar!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that is precisely why the Mass is a violation of the finished work of Christ! But you will never get it because the CC plays around with Scripture. You must show us where God has authorized human priests in the NT to sacrifice Christ (and you won't find it). So I do not misunderstand anything.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that is an entirely different topic. You have failed to address the gross error of the Catholic Mass which is the subject of this thread. Do you accept the Mass as valid or is it unscriptural?

I don't. The RC church was the first of many institutions I was called out of in my wilderness journey through the denominations. (having returned to the religion of my youth after being baptized in the Spirit.) The Lord called my wife and I out of all instituted religion finally in 1990. Since then we break bread from house to house in simplicity.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How come you are constantly going off on a tanget?

Please note from the OP: "Further, I would suggest that unless one can grasp this, they will not understand the Divine Liturgy (Mass). In the Divine Liturgy, we celebrate and participate in that perpetual paschal mystery.

Have you investigated the Catholic Mass and how it violates the finished work of Christ? A priest who has NOT been authorized by God sacrifices Christ daily on an altar!
I’m not the religion police.

Reactions: Episkopos

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Heb. 4:3 – God’s works were finished from the foundation of the world. This means that God’s works, including Christ’s sacrifice (the single act that secured the redemption of our souls and bodies), are forever present in eternity. Jesus’ suffering is over and done with (because suffering was earthly and temporal), but His sacrifice is eternal, because His priesthood is eternal (His victimized state was only temporal).

Heb. 9:26 – Jesus’ once and for all appearance into heaven to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself shows that Jesus’ presence in heaven and His sacrifice are inseparable. This also shows that “once for all,” which refers to Jesus’ appearance in heaven, means perpetual (it does not, and cannot mean, “over and done with” because Jesus is in heaven for eternity). “Once for all” also refers to Jesus’ suffering and death (Heb. 7:27; 9:12,26;10:10-14). But “once for all” never refers to Jesus’ sacrifice, which is eternally presented to the Father. This sacrifice is the Mal. 1:11 pure offering made present in every place from the rising of the sun to its setting in the Eucharist offered in the same manner as the Melchizedek offering.
THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic
Jesus offers HIMSELF to the Father in the form of Bread and Wine, not "SYMBOLS".

Reactions: Philip James

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Scripture, the sacrifice of Christ cannot be a PERPETUAL sacrifice, as claimed in the Catholic Mass. That would be a denial of THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST for our redemption.

When the veil in the temple at Jerusalem was supernaturally torn in two from top to bottom, that was the end of temple sacrifices and the Levitical priesthood. The Roman Catholic Church has created an UNAUTHORIZED human priesthood, with an UNAUTHORIZED daily sacrifice of Christ. This makes a mockery of what Christ accomplished on the cross.

HEBREWS 9

24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world:
but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

As you can see the Catholic Church has TOTALLY DISREGARDED this Scripture, and setup its own idolatrous Mass to deceive its members. And it has also clearly stated that this is NOT the Lord's Supper.
Hi Enoch,

What do you do in remembrance of Him?

1 Corinthians 11:24, Luke 22:19

Mary

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does that mean exactly, "ever before Him"?

Much love!

Hi marks,

epostle gave you an excellent answer.

I would also suggest,
that Jesus' offering of Himself as the paschal Lamb, is eternally accepted by our Father as redemption for the world.
Thus through His one act of obedience, Jesus Christ brings life to all.
Thus it always has been.
Thus it always shall be.

All praise to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, King of eternal glory!