The perpetual paschal mystery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi marks,

epostle gave you an excellent answer.

I would also suggest,
that Jesus' offering of Himself as the paschal Lamb, is eternally accepted by our Father as redemption for the world.
Thus through His one act of obedience, Jesus Christ brings life to all.
Thus it always has been.
Thus it always shall be.

All praise to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, King of eternal glory!
"Eternally accepted", that I can relate to.

Ray Steadman wrote an article called 6 Hours in Eternity where he described what it seemed to me you were talking about, that while Jesus died here in this world, in this time, yet still His crucifixion is an eternal event, and therefore continues even now.

There was a pastor I heard who had picked up on this idea, and as he taught this, he held his arms out, (his name was John) "Oh, Johnny sinned again", a grimace, a jerk of his muscles, "Oh, another sin!", another grimace, another twitch.

If what you mean is that Jesus' sacrifice, having been once given, is forever accepted, the cross is empty, the tomb is empty, it is finished. That I'm on the same page with.

Much love!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Eternally accepted", that I can relate to.

Ray Steadman wrote an article called 6 Hours in Eternity where he described what it seemed to me you were talking about, that while Jesus died here in this world, in this time, yet still His crucifixion is an eternal event, and therefore continues even now.

There was a pastor I heard who had picked up on this idea, and as he taught this, he held his arms out, (his name was John) "Oh, Johnny sinned again", a grimace, a jerk of his muscles, "Oh, another sin!", another grimace, another twitch.

If what you mean is that Jesus' sacrifice, having been once given, is forever accepted, the cross is empty, the tomb is empty, it is finished. That I'm on the same page with.

Much love!

Yes, eternally accepted, and offered! Since before the foundation of the world...

This is the perpetual paschal mystery,
And we must enter into it to receive the Life that flows from it.

Peace be with you!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You dont think the Word offered that obédience before the world was made?

Peace!
I'm not sure what you are asking.

We're talking about Jesus' crucifixion, right? Which happened on a given day during a certain year on planet earth, and now it's over.

And just like when I send that last car payment in, and they send me the title, I get to just go away and drive the car, the price is paid, and I'm not forever standing at the teller with my hand extended.

The deal is done, the price is paid, reconciliation has been procured.

Much love!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No . . . since the cross.

Brother,

Consider this:

As for the dead being raised, have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God told him, 'I am the God of Abraham, (the) God of Isaac, and (the) God of Jacob'?

He is not God of the dead but of the living. You are greatly misled."

Now with that in mind, have you not wondered at Jesus and Moses and Elijah at the transfiguration?

Peace!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Indeed; "It is finished"; & the truth of the one offering in Hebrews chapters 9 and 10.
Correct. But what Christians need to tell Catholics is that the Mass is AN ABOMINATION, since it is a direct refusal to accept the finished work of Christ. The entire Catholic priesthood is bogus, and so is the sacrifice of the Mass.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Correct. But what Christians need to tell Catholics is that the Mass is AN ABOMINATION, since it is a direct refusal to accept the finished work of Christ. The entire Catholic priesthood is bogus, and so is the sacrifice of the Mass.
The finished work of Christ is in the Scriptures, as is the perfect mediatorial work of Christ.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Methinks thou does protest to much.

What then must I do to be saved?

Peace be with you!

(Edit to add)

Does your sacrifice fulfill Malachi 1:11?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The finished work of Christ is in the Scriptures, as is the perfect mediatorial work of Christ.
You can say that a thousand times, but it will have no impact on Catholics.

Here is what the Mass means to Catholics as presented in their Catechism:

1365 Because it is the memorial of Christ's Passover, the Eucharist is also a sacrifice. the sacrificial character of the Eucharist is manifested in the very words of institution: "This is my body which is given for you" and "This cup which is poured out for you is the New Covenant in my blood." In the Eucharist Christ gives us the very body which he gave up for us on the cross, the very blood which he "poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

1366 The Eucharist is thus a sacrifice because it re-presents (makes present) the sacrifice of the cross, because it is its memorial and because it applies its fruit:

[Christ], our Lord and God, was once and for all to offer himself to God the Father by his death on the altar of the cross, to accomplish there an everlasting redemption. But because his priesthood was not to end with his death, at the Last Supper "on the night when he was betrayed," [he wanted] to leave to his beloved spouse the Church a visible sacrifice (as the nature of man demands) by which the bloody sacrifice which he was to accomplish once for all on the cross would be re-presented, its memory perpetuated until the end of the world, and its salutary power be applied to the forgiveness of the sins we daily commit.

1367 The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice: "The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross; only the manner of offering is different." "In this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner."

'The Reformers were united in their rejection of both aspects of Rome’s doctrine of the Lord’s Supper. They rejected transubstantiation, and they rejected the idea that the Lord’s Supper is a propitiatory sacrifice. In his book The Babylonian Captivity of the Church (1520), Martin Luther attacked both of these doctrines. Also opposed to Rome’s doctrine was the Swiss Reformer Ulrich Zwingli. However, although Luther and Zwingli agreed in their rejection of Rome’s doctrine, they were not able to come to agreement on the true nature of the Lord’s Supper.'
Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper by Keith Mathison

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can say that a thousand times, but it will have no impact on Catholics.

Here is what the Mass means to Catholics as presented in their Catechism:

1365 Because it is the memorial of Christ's Passover, the Eucharist is also a sacrifice. the sacrificial character of the Eucharist is manifested in the very words of institution: "This is my body which is given for you" and "This cup which is poured out for you is the New Covenant in my blood." In the Eucharist Christ gives us the very body which he gave up for us on the cross, the very blood which he "poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

1366 The Eucharist is thus a sacrifice because it re-presents (makes present) the sacrifice of the cross, because it is its memorial and because it applies its fruit:

[Christ], our Lord and God, was once and for all to offer himself to God the Father by his death on the altar of the cross, to accomplish there an everlasting redemption. But because his priesthood was not to end with his death, at the Last Supper "on the night when he was betrayed," [he wanted] to leave to his beloved spouse the Church a visible sacrifice (as the nature of man demands) by which the bloody sacrifice which he was to accomplish once for all on the cross would be re-presented, its memory perpetuated until the end of the world, and its salutary power be applied to the forgiveness of the sins we daily commit.

1367 The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice: "The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross; only the manner of offering is different." "In this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner."

If only you had stopped there...

yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist.