The Problem with "Christian Media"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
I have a sister at my church that I love and respect, but she is addicted to so-called Christian Radio... She says it allows her to get fed the Word while she works and drives around... Here's the problem:

She tells me about some teaching episode that she's all excited about. It sounds a little fishy to me, so I ask her what scriptures they are using. She can only quote one or two (they are taken out of context), and tells me she doesn't even know the others, if any, that were quoted, and then finishes by saying, "You should listen to it yourself. I can't explain it. It makes sense when they say it."

At this point RED FLAGS ARE FLYING! But not for her... In fact, she gets angry when I question things she's heard on the radio...

From numerology to whether angels can sing or not, to more serious things like 9-11 being the fall of Babylon and Obama is the anti-Christ! Ugh!

How does this stuff get passed off as scriptural teaching??? Where is the accountability of the radio station owners and show producers?

Anyone else concerned about what is being passed off as Christian media these days?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I am careful about the Christian Talk radio I listen to. I too have had "Huh?" moments while listening to it. I agree there is a lot of false doctrine on the radio. Its unfortunate. I limit what I listen to and for the most part, I just listen to music for my hope and inspiration. And, if your friend needs something to listen to in the car or at work, there are some great audio versions of the Bible out there. You cant go wrong if you just listen to His word and let the Holy Spirit guide you from there! :)

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Born_Again said:
This is why I am careful about the Christian Talk radio I listen to. I too have had "Huh?" moments while listening to it. I agree there is a lot of false doctrine on the radio. Its unfortunate. I limit what I listen to and for the most part, I just listen to music for my hope and inspiration. And, if your friend needs something to listen to in the car or at work, there are some great audio versions of the Bible out there. You cant go wrong if you just listen to His word and let the Holy Spirit guide you from there! :)
That's a good idea... I will buy her an audio Bible...

In the meantime, I am still disturbed at how many people soak this stuff into their spirits.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they truly knew Christ they would mostly likely not absorb the false doctrine as the Holy Spirit would show them the truth through His guidance. But not everyone knows Him well enough to know how to listen to Him. :( Pray for them. That's the best we can do.

BA

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Born_Again said:
If they truly knew Christ they would mostly likely not absorb the false doctrine as the Holy Spirit would show them the truth through His guidance. But not everyone knows Him well enough to know how to listen to Him. :( Pray for them. That's the best we can do.

BA
Thanks for your prayers!

I have no doubt that "people who truly know Christ" CAN be deceived by false prophets and doctrines... Jesus and the apostles warned Christians about them. Why would we be warned if it was not possible?

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." Matthew 7:15

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds." 2 Corinthians 11:13-15

"Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many." Matthew 24:11

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute." 2 Peter 2:1-2

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DogLady19 said:
Thanks for your prayers!

I have no doubt that "people who truly know Christ" CAN be deceived by false prophets and doctrines... Jesus and the apostles warned Christians about them. Why would we be warned if it was not possible?

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." Matthew 7:15

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds." 2 Corinthians 11:13-15

"Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many." Matthew 24:11

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute." 2 Peter 2:1-2
Well said. Good scripture too! Because Christ has warned us, we should remain vigilant. :) He is our Shepard. This is why I just follow His word.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Quite frankly I gave up on so-called Christian media decades ago with Jim Baker and his contemporaries. So was good but most of it was bad and a very obvious effort and self aggrandizing. I like Christian radio for the music, and that's about it. I never watch so-called Christian TV anymore.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian radio in eastern Washington is basically conservative political grandstanding; conspiracy theory; and snake oil salesman trying get you to buy supplements to counteract the governments plot to kill us all

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
DogLady19 said:
I have a sister at my church that I love and respect, but she is addicted to so-called Christian Radio... She says it allows her to get fed the Word while she works and drives around... Here's the problem:

She tells me about some teaching episode that she's all excited about. It sounds a little fishy to me, so I ask her what scriptures they are using. She can only quote one or two (they are taken out of context), and tells me she doesn't even know the others, if any, that were quoted, and then finishes by saying, "You should listen to it yourself. I can't explain it. It makes sense when they say it."

At this point RED FLAGS ARE FLYING! But not for her... In fact, she gets angry when I question things she's heard on the radio...

From numerology to whether angels can sing or not, to more serious things like 9-11 being the fall of Babylon and Obama is the anti-Christ! Ugh!

How does this stuff get passed off as scriptural teaching??? Where is the accountability of the radio station owners and show producers?

Anyone else concerned about what is being passed off as Christian media these days?
Heard one recently where a man said he watches his wife's facebook account to see what she is up to.

1. WHY do they have FB?
2. WHY does he need to spy on her, does he not trust her?
3. WHY isn't involved in her life to KNOW what she is up to?

ALL of it is worrisome.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
pom2014 said:
Heard one recently where a man said he watches his wife's facebook account to see what she is up to.

1. WHY do they have FB?
2. WHY does he need to spy on her, does he not trust her?
3. WHY isn't involved in her life to KNOW what she is up to?

ALL of it is worrisome.
True that! If he has time to check out her FB page, he's got time to have a cup of coffee with her and be a part of her life instead of a bystander!
aspen said:
Christian radio in eastern Washington is basically conservative political grandstanding; conspiracy theory; and snake oil salesman trying get you to buy supplements to counteract the governments plot to kill us all
Yep. That about sums up what this woman is being fed every day... and since it's a CHRISTIAN radio station, it all must be true!
StanJ said:
Quite frankly I gave up on so-called Christian media decades ago with Jim Baker and his contemporaries. So was good but most of it was bad and a very obvious effort and self aggrandizing. I like Christian radio for the music, and that's about it. I never watch so-called Christian TV anymore.
Yeah, I ended my radio days when Kenneth Copeland came on to the scene... There was a local ma-and-pa station back in the day that played old time gospel music, and the only teaching series they broadcasted was Dr. J Vernon McGee... Now, that man is a true teacher of the Word!

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
DogLady19 said:

How does this stuff get passed off as scriptural teaching???
The scriptures tell us that God "...gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature (maturity) of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
(Eph 4:11-14)

It has been my observation that the majority of Christians are content to remain toddlers and many pastors are content with that level of maturity as well. So they are like children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine.

Plain old obedience and prayer and fasting and being humble etc. just doesn't sound like as much fun as listening to and then babbling about some new sensational teaching by some self-proclaimed apostle or prophet. That's why people line up to get their copy of the latest book "straight from the Holy Spirit" in large print and small words (The Purpose-driven Haircut?) and go to the next Prophetic Conference.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
JimParker said:
The scriptures tell us that God "...gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature (maturity) of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
(Eph 4:11-14)

It has been my observation that the majority of Christians are content to remain toddlers and many pastors are content with that level of maturity as well. So they are like children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine.

Plain old obedience and prayer and fasting and being humble etc. just doesn't sound like as much fun as listening to and then babbling about some new sensational teaching by some self-proclaimed apostle or prophet. That's why people line up to get their copy of the latest book "straight from the Holy Spirit" in large print and small words (The Purpose-driven Haircut?) and go to the next Prophetic Conference.
Indeed! well put!

It is sheer laziness to let someone else's study of God's Word replace our own! God expects us to have a personal relationship with Him. The radio pundit can never be a valid substitute for letting God speak directly to us.

Just like babies, the food gets chewed up and spit into their mouths!