the sabbath and why sunday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Jackie D;52887)
(Kriss;52872)
Sabbath was never a day of worship Never Why would Christ break a Day of Worship?
Kriss I believe you are wrong regarding the statement above. You, yourself stated that Christ did not break the Law of Sabbath but the written rules that man had added to the Sabbath. Which is it? Did He or did He not break the Sabbath laws according to man? AND the holy convocation that pertained to sabbath, what was/is that? Holy: a sacred place or thing; rarely abstractly sanctity:— Convocation: something called out, that is, a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the place); Exodus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings. Please I ask you to show me and everyone else that the "holy covocation" (as defined above) is not a time meant for and of worship, a service, a time of obedience and bowing unto the Lord with not much different meaning to Christians and their services held every Sunday.... Christ never broke a day of Worship unto the Lord...including the days of sabbath which include holy convocation (worship, IMO)My Dear Jackie.The only Sabbath Christ broke is men's selfish sabbath. (Isaiah 1:13, Matthew 12:3-5) Jackie, if the Sabbath was a day of each week, Why did Colossians 2:16 say this?Colossians 2:16 - Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:If the Sabbath Day was a day of the week, we humans would fight over and over about which day we go to church...but since not everybody goes to church, we can not judge according to Colossians 2:16.Matthew 12:6 - But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Jackie D;52887)
Kriss I believe you are wrong regarding the statement above.You, yourself stated that Christ did not break the Law of Sabbath but the written rules that man had added to the Sabbath. Which is it? Did He or did He not break the Sabbath laws according to man? AND the holy convocation that pertained to sabbath, what was/is that?Holy: a sacred place or thing; rarely abstractly sanctity:—Convocation: something called out, that is, a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the place); Exodus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.Please I ask you to show me and everyone else that the "holy covocation" (as defined above) is not a time meant for and of worship, a service, a time of obedience and bowing unto the Lord with not much different meaning to Christians and their services held every Sunday....Christ never broke a day of Worship unto the Lord...including the days of sabbath which include holy convocation (worship, IMO)
You misunderstand what I saidI was asking a question Why would Christ break a Day of Worship ?? The answer he would not have He was showing us what it was about doing Gods Work. Perhaps Im saying this backward which is causing confusion Sabbath is about how and who we worship not about a certain Day of WorshipThe Sabbath Day was a Day of Rest 1) to cease, desist, resta) (Qal)1) to cease2) to rest, desist (from labour)
cool.gif
(Niphal) to ceasec) (Hiphil)1) to cause to cease, put an end to2) to exterminate, destroy3) to cause to desist from4) to remove5) to cause to fail2) (Qal) to keep or observe the sabbathRest from what? is the question Surley we were not to rest from worshiping God.No! we were to Rest from Worldly Work and Do Gods Work this is Why Jesus was not breaking Sabbath by healing he was doing Gods Work. In doing Gods Work Everyday we do Gods Work we are remembering/honoring Sabbath How do we do Gods Work we spread the good News what's the Good News ........Jesus Christ....the Body of believers...the church ........True Israel Whereever/whenever 2 or more gather in his Name Ish.14 Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. Why does he say this ? because man has forgotten the essence of them including Sabbath that is to do his Work (Gods Work changed when Christ died for our sins) Not the law of Sabbath which was to cease from our Wordly Work and do his Work.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Well even G-d deserved a day off I guess even he gets tired I mean look at what he accomplished in 6 days....and working on Saturday that had to be drag....hate to say it but I agree with Kriss view on this folks....

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
(Jerusalem Junkie;52892)
Well even G-d deserved a day off I guess even he gets tired I mean look at what he accomplished in 6 days....and working on Saturday that had to be drag....hate to say it but I agree with Kriss view on this folks....
Why would god use the word remember in the forth commandment..seems he new that there would be greif on this issue later in life...the one he made a point to say remember you all try to justify forgetting..do you not see the greatness of this issue..rev 12:17 rev 14:12 is plain you add illution to press your forgetting.....REMEMBER.....was the first word

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Don't ask me man....I just go by what the man says not my job to question why he does this or that...he did it, said it and I guess that settles it for me...like your argument though but I have no answer for you.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(kriss;52890)
You misunderstand what I saidI was asking a question Why would Christ break a Day of Worship ?? Not the law of Sabbath which was to cease from our Wordly Work and do his Work.
no you didn't kriss, you stated
Sabbath was never a day of worship Never
my reply to that statement is:
AND the holy convocation that pertained to sabbath, what was/is that?Holy: a sacred place or thing; rarely abstractly sanctity:—Convocation: something called out, that is, a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the place); Exodus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.Please I ask you to show me and everyone else that the "holy covocation" (as defined above) is not a time meant for and of worship, a service, a time of obedience and bowing unto the Lord with not much different meaning to Christians and their services held every Sunday....
is not obedience to the Lord in keeping the sabbath a form of worship in itself? Why is this part of the command ignored or called something other than what it is/was and that would be worship?now I may have misunderstood the rest of your post, for that I say oops and sorry...but I most certainly did not misunderstand the part I have emphasized. kriss said:
I was asking a question Why would Christ break a Day of Worship ??
according to what He did while He was here, He did not break a day of worship as He went to the synagogue and He taught the gathering of people who came to observe the command of keeping the sabbath and learn the word of God (holy convocation)...so far not one has been able to convince me that keeping the commandments including sabbath is not a form of worship, which by the way indicates one who bows to the autority and Word of God AND acts upon it. blessingsPlease note that I stated Exodus 23:3 which was incorrect regarding the book I should have stated Leviticus...my apologies

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I apoligize Jackie In trying to do get the message across to do away with the Word Day I see where I may have over reacted and mistated What I am trying to Say and left the Word Day out of my own post.Sabbath is about How and who we worship and we rest in Christ it is not about a certain Day we worship.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
God set aside a Day of Rest Our rest is now in Jesus Christ Rest is .. Sabbath = Rest = Christ There is no Day involved Now the Old testament was written before there was Christ We now have the spirit of Christ making us a new person once the New Covenant was established by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the New Testament nowhere describes Christians setting aside the Sabbath day as the day of worship. The only Scriptures that describe Christians in any sense meeting on the Sabbath are in fact pointing to evangelistic efforts at Jewish synagogues, which met on the Sabbath day. Acts 3:2 records the early Christians meeting every day. The Bereans studied the Scriptures every day (Acts 17:11). Acts 20:7 and 1 Corinthians 16:2 both mention Christians meeting on the first day of the week. There is no evidence in the New Testament that the Apostles or the early Christians in any sense observed the Sabbath day as the prescribed day of worship.Traditionally, Christians have held their primary corporate worship services on Sundays, the first day of the week, in celebration of Christ’s resurrection, which occurred on a Sunday (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1; John 20:1). It is important to understand, though, that Sunday is not the commanded day of corporate worship either. There is no explicit biblical command that either Saturday or Sunday be the day of worship. Scriptures such as Romans 14:5-6 and Colossians 2:16 give Christians freedom to observe a special day, or to observe every day as special. God’s desire is that we worship and serve Him continually, every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
(kriss;52905)
God set aside a Day of Rest Our rest is now in Jesus Christ Rest is .. Sabbath = Rest = Christ There is no Day involved Now the Old testament was written before there was Christ We now have the spirit of Christ making us a new person once the New Covenant was established by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the New Testament nowhere describes Christians setting aside the Sabbath day as the day of worship. The only Scriptures that describe Christians in any sense meeting on the Sabbath are in fact pointing to evangelistic efforts at Jewish synagogues, which met on the Sabbath day. Acts 3:2 records the early Christians meeting every day. The Bereans studied the Scriptures every day (Acts 17:11). Acts 20:7 and 1 Corinthians 16:2 both mention Christians meeting on the first day of the week. There is no evidence in the New Testament that the Apostles or the early Christians in any sense observed the Sabbath day as the prescribed day of worship.Traditionally, Christians have held their primary corporate worship services on Sundays, the first day of the week, in celebration of Christ’s resurrection, which occurred on a Sunday (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1; John 20:1). It is important to understand, though, that Sunday is not the commanded day of corporate worship either. There is no explicit biblical command that either Saturday or Sunday be the day of worship. Scriptures such as Romans 14:5-6 and Colossians 2:16 give Christians freedom to observe a special day, or to observe every day as special. God’s desire is that we worship and serve Him continually, every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.
and again a impass,you can take the word of god and twist it around ..you keep that and teach that if you want.as far as my lord jesus, he never changed one title of the law..his habbit was to go to seventh day sabbath whither it was the only game in town it was gods game and this day you have said what you repeat over and over..i hope others on this post will benfit from the truth on the issue and share the fruits there of..

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Im not twisting the Word unless you are are a hebrew born before Christ died that is what the Bible teaches. As I have pointed out time again if you think Sabbath is about a Day and not about our Rest it is you who are in error.Colossians 2:16 - Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:we were to Rest from Worldly Work and Do Gods Work this is Why Jesus was not breaking Sabbath by healing he was doing Gods Work. In doing Gods Work Everyday we do Gods Work we are remembering/honoring Sabbath How do we do Gods Work we spread the good Newswhat's the Good News ........Jesus Christ....the Body of believers...the church ........True Israel Whereever/whenever 2 or more gather in his Name

Status
Not open for further replies.