The Scriptures are God's Greatest Gift to Mankind

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Scripture is the greatest gift to mankind, because God has designed it to be used by the Spirit to save the elect who are scattered worldwide.
We do not know who the elect are,so we preach and teach all we are able to reach.
All who are Christian today,were at one point children of wrath even as others Eph.2 :1-3, But GOD who is rich in mercy intervenes.
The word of God is the instrument used by the Spirit. Heb4:12

Amen. Scripture is Jesus, the Word of God.
All Jesus's actions are a reflection of His heart and His ability to overcome everything with love.

The word, this word, the words I am writing are used to create and define the universe. Everything we learn, express, communicate is based on words. People say words are nothing, actions show true intent. What they mean is words implying truth or action, if they have no foundation are empty.

But it is words upon which lives are taken or left alone, people imprisoned or set free. Words have the power of life and death. And Gods words created everything, and are Jesus in human form. If scripture is a lie, invented, without foundation or reality, then we have nothing. If Gods promises will not be honoured we have no hope or salvation.

Words can be spoken without intent, ie. the words said because they must be said to obtain something, but their meaning is not believed or taken seriously. Another common phrase is "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me"
It is enemies who hurl insults and provocative statements, but they can be easily dismissed as angry people, but violence does cause real problems. In truth words do convey intent and acceptance or rejection by people we care about, and they certainly do hurt and can cause irreparable harm.

Unfortunately many do not understand the importance of words spoken by God, the creator, the author of everything we know.
We need to carefully balance these eternal realities if we are to grasp who He is and how His will is worked out in and through us.

God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Scripture is the greatest gift to mankind, because God has designed it to be used by the Spirit to save the elect who are scattered worldwide.
We do not know who the elect are,so we preach and teach all we are able to reach.
All who are Christian today,were at one point children of wrath even as others Eph.2 :1-3, But GOD who is rich in mercy intervenes.
The word of God is the instrument used by the Spirit. Heb4:12

It came to me as a profound understanding.
How do I know someone loves me? Their words and actions.
How do I know Christs desires for me? His words and actions.

Jesus said His words needed to abide in our hearts. What He means is their meaning is not a passing reality, nice poetic lines or ideas, but eternal realities and truths upon which we are founded and will die for. When God called Himself "I am" the forever always present, from eternity to eternity. Love, something that controls us, that takes us hostage, causes us pain, is our greatest aspiration and our greatest fear, yet is also the life of our very existence. How do we love God? How do we love our neighbour? Profound questions, that take a lifetime to work through.

David spent night and day thinking about Gods precepts and wisdom. There is a treasure here that never ends.
I saw one believer rolling their eyes when I mentioned love transforming us. Their love is very limited, bounded and controlled. Who is shown affection definitely not those guys over there. They are not aware this defines who they are, because they have never begun to wonder what is Gods unbounded love, to give ones enemy help when they are in trouble.

We need to fall in love with God and His expressions, His words, His people, His son. God bless you

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus said His words needed to abide in our hearts. What He means is their meaning is not a passing reality, nice poetic lines or ideas, but eternal realities and truths upon which we are founded and will die for. When God called Himself "I am" the forever always present, from eternity to eternity. Love, something that controls us, that takes us hostage, causes us pain, is our greatest aspiration and our greatest fear, yet is also the life of our very existence. How do we love God? How do we love our neighbour? Profound questions, that take a lifetime to work through.

David spent night and day thinking about Gods precepts and wisdom. There is a treasure here that never ends.
I saw one believer rolling their eyes when I mentioned love transforming us. Their love is very limited, bounded and controlled. Who is shown affection definitely not those guys over there. They are not aware this defines who they are, because they have never begun to wonder what is Gods unbounded love, to give ones enemy help when they are in trouble.

We need to fall in love with God and His expressions, His words, His people, His son. God bless you
yes your posts are on the money.We should be able to write Psalm119 as.our own Psalm. psalm 1 speaks of our stability from the word.
I always think of those older glass coffee makers.
The coffee was placed in the metal.basket,like scripture taken.into our mind.
The water was heated and travelled up the glass stem and ran over the stored coffee grounds,
It then began to drip down and transform into the finished product.
the unseen internal work of the Spirit takes the words of life off of the page and pours them through our minds and heart so we can commune with our Lord.
The more we pray ,meditate,study,and serve, the stronger we become.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

in 2Pet1,we are told we are given All that pertains to life and godliness.
We should never take for granted this great gift which is like a portal into our future communion with God face to face.
When I pray I picture my prayer going to the throne as recorded in Rev,4 and 5.
In Hebrews10, we are to come boldly, with confidence in prayer.
Without such instruction we would flounder, and be weak, and unsteady

Reactions: FollowHim

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did you learn of anything you just posted?
Believe it or not, there are tribes and groups of people who know God exists who don't even know scripture exists. God will call those who are His regardless if they possess a Bible. The greatest gift is His Son, Jesus' time on earth changed the world, His death and resurrection reconciled us to the Father. The Bible did not shed blood.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe it or not, there are tribes and groups of people who know God exists who don't even know scripture exists. God will call those who are His regardless if they possess a Bible. The greatest gift is His Son, Jesus' time on earth changed the world, His death and resurrection reconciled us to the Father. The Bible did not shed blood.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Everyone knows there is a God but that knowledge is not enough to save them as the rest of Romans one show they turned to idolatry

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus the Living word told Satan, it is written 3 times to answer him
Yes, and Satan had done what?

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

Satan quoted Psalm 91:12 at Jesus and Jesus rebuked him with Deut. 6:16... but what Jesus said was the Word of God. The quoted scriptural words in the mouth of Satan was Not the Word of God.

Today we might see the same thing when an avowed atheist quotes scripture to a saint of God in an argument. Without the Spirit, it is Not the Word of God! Sometimes sometime believers do that. They quote a scripture verbatim but it is dead and empty because the words are not quickened by the Spirit when they are spoken!

Reactions: Helen

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not only that, but the early Christians were saved without the benefit of at least NT Scriptures. Paul did not preach Scripture on Mars Hill but relied on their knowledge of God (in their context) to present the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Don't get me wrong. Scripture is important. But God is not dependent on Scripture. Scripture is dependent on God. And God is a God of means. He sends people to preach the gospel (with our without Scripture).

There are simply some who hold Scripture as an idol. I knew a few who believed that way growing up. When I was young I had a little of that affliction. But when I was saved I realized the difference.

Reactions: Agios

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. Scripture is Jesus, the Word of God.
All Jesus's actions are a reflection of His heart and His ability to overcome everything with love.

The word, this word, the words I am writing are used to create and define the universe. Everything we learn, express, communicate is based on words. People say words are nothing, actions show true intent. What they mean is words implying truth or action, if they have no foundation are empty.

But it is words upon which lives are taken or left alone, people imprisoned or set free. Words have the power of life and death. And Gods words created everything, and are Jesus in human form. If scripture is a lie, invented, without foundation or reality, then we have nothing. If Gods promises will not be honoured we have no hope or salvation.

Words can be spoken without intent, ie. the words said because they must be said to obtain something, but their meaning is not believed or taken seriously. Another common phrase is "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me"
It is enemies who hurl insults and provocative statements, but they can be easily dismissed as angry people, but violence does cause real problems. In truth words do convey intent and acceptance or rejection by people we care about, and they certainly do hurt and can cause irreparable harm.

Unfortunately many do not understand the importance of words spoken by God, the creator, the author of everything we know.
We need to carefully balance these eternal realities if we are to grasp who He is and how His will is worked out in and through us.

God bless you
Scripture testifies about Jesus. Scripture is not Jesus. Scripture does not save. It point to the One who saves (it is a testament to God's redemptive plan, salvation history a, God's dealings with men, the formation and history of Israel, and the gospel of Christ).

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God loving mankind by giving His Son that all men who believe will be saved is God's greatest gift. The giving of His Son (not the giving of Scripture) is how God has loved the world.

We can reason out different answers, but Scripture only gives us this one. God is love. God loved mankinfmd by gifting His Son.

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We only know about God's plan because of scripture that's why it is obviously the greatest gift.
In fact we know nothing about Jesus the Redemptive plan, the Father,the Father giving the Son we know nothing of any of this without scripture that's why scripture is the greatest gift

Last edited:

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty sure God can take care of those who don't have a Bible but know He exists. He's God.
I agree. But you have to keep in mind that there are some "Christians" who now effectively hold that "God is dead". They rightly believe God has given us Scripture but beyond the Bible reject any concept of a living God. They hold a form of godliness but deny its power.

To them God does not speak to believers except what one may read in the Bible. God does not work in the world because that would be a power in addition to the Bible. Spiritual truth is nothing but believing the Bible. No spiritual maturity. No true indwelling of the Spirit. No legitimate rebirth. Only a cognitive acceptance if the Bible.

This is an issue because it is ultimately a denial and rejection of God. Many will say "Lord, Lord, did not I do all these great things?". Yet they are unknown by Him.

This "nominal Christianity" has rejected the work of the Spirit. That is probably one of the biggest issues in the western church today. And it is a denial of God Himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Agios

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are simply some who hold Scripture as an idol.

And there are also those who want to disregard the holy scriptures as being the carriers of absolute truth.

Psa 138:2, I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Reactions: John Caldwell

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. But you have to keep in mind that there are some "Christians" who now effectively hold that "God is dead". They rightly believe God has given us Scripture but beyond the Bible reject any concept of a living God. They hold a form of godliness but deny its power.

To them God does not speak to believers except what one may read in the Bible. God does not work in the world because that would be a power in addition to the Bible. Spiritual truth is nothing but believing the Bible. No spiritual maturity. No true indwelling of the Spirit. No legitimate rebirth. Only a cognitive acceptance if the Bible.

This is an issue because it us ultimately a denial and rejection of God. Many will say "Lord, Lord, did not I do all these great things?". Yet they are unknown by Him.

This nominal "Christianity has rejected the work of the Spirit. That is probably one of the biggest issues in the western church today. And it is a denial of God Himself.
The devil is here contending for his own voice as being valid in society.

The fact is, if anything goes against the revealed truth of the word of the Lord, it is a lie.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there are also those who want to disregard the holy scriptures as being the carriers of absolute truth.

Psa 138:2, I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
There may be, and that is also an issue. Heresy does not come in one flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.