The Shepherding/Covering Doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My church started off in somebody's home and grew from there as part of the Restoration Movement. Anybody was welcome to come to the gatherings but to join we had to do what they called commitment classes in groups of twelve.

Most of us had come from all the other more traditional church backgrounds but the classes were so that we could find out what the the church was about and so that they could also get to know us. The women wore head coverings and we were taught about 'authority' and were encouraged to talk to one of the four leaders before making big decisions. I remember when we planned to move house we went to talk to one of the leaders who discouraged it but we went ahead anyway and it was okay. It was a wonderful time with so many members that you had to get there early to get a seat in a 400 seater hall.

It was great for a while but there was some sort of falling out within the movement and it split and our bit became independent and less strict. Somewhere along the line I think they lost their vision for a while but our pastor has seen that and is now seeking God to get us back on track.
Thankyou for relating your experience, Pearl. There seem to be seasons of growth with a congregation leading to a stream, and a stream to a movement, but sustainability of Biblical principles without the adoption of worldly models of corporatisation is a challenge for those called to lead the body of Christ.

This warning was originally directed to the ekklesia at Ephesus but applies to many persuasions and denominations that look to earthly means for guidance rather than to God-ordained heavenly means.

Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Trouble is that the movement got corrupted by "power and control" leaders who used "spiritual authority" to gather disciples to themselves. I am in the process of writing a book called, Are You Sure Your Shepherd Is Not A Wolf In Disguise? I will publish it once my friend has proofread it.
With a chapter on the "The Perils of Bi-Polar Pastors" perhaps.
Paul doesn't mention these specifically but my experience is that they are not to be trusted, and their lack of suitability leads to instability, even suicide in one case with which I am familiar.

2Co 11:26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 17:4
Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.

I trust only the word of God.

Romans 3:4
...let God be true, but every man a liar

It is the only way to keep ourselves from the multitude of false teachings and our own deceitful heart.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
For those interested I have now completed my Ebook and it is attached.
Thanks for providing this material, Paul. You have a style of writing that is easy to read so it didn't take me long to get through all 61 pages.

Interestingly, some Anglican clergy have opted out of their denomination in protest against its acceptance of gay marriage and ordination of those in same-sex relationships. I understand the Methodists also have gay and lesbian clergy, and correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a homosexual Moderator of the Presbyterian Church at one stage?

The clergy/laity distinction is another questionable feature of ecclesiology.

Act 20:28-30 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the ekklesia of God which He purchased with His own blood. (29) For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. (30) Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is my Shepherd.
1 Peter 2:25 (NKJV)
25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

Reactions: marks

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for providing this material, Paul. You have a style of writing that is easy to read so it didn't take me long to get through all 61 pages.

Interestingly, some Anglican clergy have opted out of their denomination in protest against its acceptance of gay marriage and ordination of those in same-sex relationships. I understand the Methodists also have gay and lesbian clergy, and correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a homosexual Moderator of the Presbyterian Church at one stage?

The clergy/laity distinction is another questionable feature of ecclesiology.

Act 20:28-30 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the ekklesia of God which He purchased with His own blood. (29) For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. (30) Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.
Your response encourages me. Thanks for that.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP
Never heard of that.
But not surprised when an idea intended for good, turns to a corrupt abusive power grab.
That happens in religions, governments, businesses....changing servants and service into Dictatorial controlling requirements.
Disturbing and Concerning in your religious scenario, and on the world stage of nations governments.

Sign of times, Scripture warns of results.

God Bless,
Taken