The Shield of Faith/Ephesians 6:16

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
After some prayer, I'm trying to look deeper into this verse:

"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."

I am trying to absorb it and take it all in. Any thoughts or perspective about it?
My faith grows strong when I see how much I am loved. The more I learn about the extent of God's love the safer I feel.
There is a link to the Light Bearers presentations in my signature below.....I find them very encouraging.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My faith grows strong when I see how much I am loved. The more I learn about the extent of God's love the safer I feel.
There is a link to the Light Bearers presentations in my signature below.....I find them very encouraging.
:D

@quietthinker I don't know if you know this, but you have never had a signature? (For as long as I've been around.)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
:D

@quietthinker I don't know if you know this, but you have never had a signature? (For as long as I've been around.)
Ohhhh! do you mean you cannot see what is displayed under the dotted line of a post?
In my case, there are words in red print and three links to places I find helpful.
Here is the one I mentioned Light Bearers

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ohhhh! do you mean you cannot see what is displayed under the dotted line of a post?
In my case, there are words in red print and three links to places I find helpful.
Here is the one I mentioned Light Bearers
Maybe It is just me and I may have hid signatures to unclutter things a bit... I'm not sure.

Thanks, @quietthinker - I am looking at the link now :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truly an amazing chapter and I have been studying it a lot in the last two weeks!

I'll try to keep it short. What is interesting is that Paul said, "and above all..." Take the shield of faith. Well, the rest of the stuff is pretty important and powerful weapons of offence and defense. Truth, the gospel, righteousness, salvation and the Word. Or... A loincloth; boots, sabatons or greaves; a breastplate; helmet and a sword.

Each one is meant to protect a particular part of the body or in the case of the sword (while it can be used defensively), for offense. But the shield can be moved to protect all the body and in a limited roll can be used for offense (think a battering ram).

We need truth, the gospel, the Word, salvation and righteousness of God to cover our heart... But above all, we need faith. Even a mustard seed worth of faith can move a mountain just like a shield can be used to cover the whole body.

You may not have a grasp of the truth or know it all, but have the shield! You may not be righteous in the world's eye... But have the shield! You may not have a firm understanding of the gospel or feel you are saved or know enough of the Word to silence the enemy... But above all... Have the shield of faith. For by it grace is given... And it came move around to protect your other shortcomings.

Build up the others... But that shield will protect you in the meantime.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was trying to figure out how can you "exercise" the shield of faith, but then I realized (because I am so drained) that I would feel stronger if I was reading my Bible which reminds me of what @MatthewG had talked about.

"Faith comes by hearing." =========> Faith

Btw If anyone is interested, I keep hearing in my heart over and over from the Holy Spirit saying "We are keepers of the Word"

We have rechargeable faith batteries

170814-29667fc33f27c58f33f440ba8026215c.gif

Reactions: MatthewG and Wynona

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes when I am studying, I listen to the audio Bible chapters on you tube. I particularly like the dramatizations. If you don't feel strong enough to read, you can just listen.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was trying to figure out how can you "exercise" the shield of faith, but then I realized (because I am so drained) that I would feel stronger if I was reading my Bible which reminds me of what @MatthewG had talked about.

"Faith comes by hearing." =========> Faith

Btw If anyone is interested, I keep hearing in my heart over and over from the Holy Spirit saying "We are keepers of the Word"

We have rechargeable faith batteries

170814-29667fc33f27c58f33f440ba8026215c.gif
@FluffyYellowDuck Maybe the shield of faith can be understood in the context of the other items of the whole armour of God in Ephesians 6.... :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E-sword is a helpful study too, with many free bibles, free commentary, free dictionary.

My encouragement is to read your Bible. I don’t know how often you need to do that but it’s the only was to have a renewed mind and renewed heart by God.

The meaty things of the Bible is like a huge steak. You have to cut it open, and work on through chewing it and digesting it helps the spirit grow. Growing in your love for God and others. Also in your own walk itself, with God

It’s not easy when our flesh is naturally hostile to the things of faith but the spirit is willing.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."

I am trying to absorb it and take it all in. Any thoughts or perspective about it?
I have posted this this summary of Spiritual Armour before, but it won't hurt to refer to it again, and single out the role our faith has in defending us from barbs that we are the targets of.

The picture is of arrows or darts that have been dipped in tar or pitch and set alight. The rigging of ships would go up in flames when these were used in attacks against them, as would thatch roofs, and of course any flesh-wound they caused would burn painfully.

Shields were often covered in skins soaked in water in order to quench the fiery darts of the enemy, and the analogy is that our belief in Christ and in the promises and power of God does the same thing to neutralise any sharp inflammatory attempts to inflict painful wounds upon us.

We should use our Spiritual Armour whenever necessary, knowing we are in a battle against principalites and powers of darkness and spiritual wickedness in high places.

Helmet of Salvation = Thoughts Free of Condemnation.

Breastplate of Righteousness = Heart Full of Godliness.

Girdle of Truth = Covering Secured by Living Proof.

Footwear of the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace = Stability in Readiness to Preach.

Shield of Faith = Protection Impenetrable because of Belief.

Sword of the Spirit = Attack Effectual with the Word that is Perfect.

Praying in the Spirit = Requests Holy not that of the Hypocrite.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Fluffy, in this statement you are relying on your own strength to save you where as the Shield is Christ's covering of His Blood, and our "faith" is, our reliance on Christ and His Blood, i.e. his grace/sacrifice, to protect us from Satan's fiery darts of accusation of not being "reliant" on Christ in all things.

Yes being in God's word helps us to strengthen our understanding, but being in an honest relationship with Christ, walking in step with Him, accepting His gift of the cleansing sacrifice that He performed on the Cross, is very important, as it protects our relationship with Him as we continue down our path to perfection for when we stand before Him and He greets us with the Words, "Well done, you have been faithful, come and receive your inheritance which is for all who have called on my Name and believed through faith."

Shalom

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hello as has already been mentioned read verses before and after and not just the one verse context context context is very important. Also with Paul's letters one needs to note who was he writing to? In this case the Ephesians who lived in Ephesus another very important point. They were people who were in the diaspora and also gentiles who were coming to faith in Ephesus and surrounding areas. What sort of place was Ephesus? What was it known for?
Also find out what different words mean in the original languages preferably Hebrew. As most Greek words used in the NT are translated from Hebrew and the Hebrew words can be found but it takes some digging, but through the process you are learning and your mindset begins to change and you start reading the scriptures from a different perspective.
Then as has been mentioned what do these words mean/represent in a natural setting, but the trap here is not to get caught up in a modern world view and English words as these mean different things to us as they did to them. Things like shield, faith, extinguish, arrows etc etc. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes, for He is our Teacher!!!
Put all the pieces together, and you will get a beautiful tapestry, a beautiful picture your life will be changed and you will draw that little bit closer to Him.

Shalom sister

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello as has already been mentioned read verses before and after and not just the one verse context context context is very important. Also with Paul's letters one needs to note who was he writing to? In this case the Ephesians who lived in Ephesus another very important point. They were people who were in the diaspora and also gentiles who were coming to faith in Ephesus and surrounding areas. What sort of place was Ephesus? What was it known for?
Also find out what different words mean in the original languages preferably Hebrew. As most Greek words used in the NT are translated from Hebrew and the Hebrew words can be found but it takes some digging, but through the process you are learning and your mindset begins to change and you start reading the scriptures from a different perspective.
Then as has been mentioned what do these words mean/represent in a natural setting, but the trap here is not to get caught up in a modern world view and English words as these mean different things to us as they did to them. Things like shield, faith, extinguish, arrows etc etc. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes, for He is our Teacher!!!
Put all the pieces together, and you will get a beautiful tapestry, a beautiful picture your life will be changed and you will draw that little bit closer to Him.

Shalom sister
Reading that,
I remember a teaching on Ephesians 6:12 and that the word wrestling was a bigger deal than we has imagined. He was using the imagery of the wrestlers that would actually fight to death; not the kind of sport that we see today.

The word "grappling" comes to mind but I can't remember the rest. I just woke up so maybe it will come to me soon.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ancient

I think I remember now "For we wrestle not..." We grapple not, taking hold of the enemy, it had to do with hand-to-hand combat.

Which we aren't doing with people of the world but taking hold of principalities of darkness.
wrestle.jpg

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Screenshot-20211119-084950.png

Screenshot-20211119-084958.png

Is this a coincidence? Now you all know how badly I type in the morning but there we go

I woke this morning feeling like God was telling me to get up and sing, so that's how I got here.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading that,
I remember a teaching on Ephesians 6:12 and that the word wrestling was a bigger deal than we has imagined. He was using the imagery of the wrestlers that would actually fight to death; not the kind of sport that we see today.

The word "grappling" comes to mind but I can't remember the rest. I just woke up so maybe it will come to me soon.
When I was studying the passage, I noticed that while it's translated, "We wrestle not with flesh and blood", the literal reading would be, "Our wrestling is not with flesh and blood".

It's not just that we wrestle, and sometimes with "not flesh and blood", but this refers to our wrestling in general.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading that,

Our enemy would like to destroy us, I think!

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When I was studying the passage, I noticed that while it's translated, "We wrestle not with flesh and blood", the literal reading would be, "Our wrestling is not with flesh and blood".

It's not just that we wrestle, and sometimes with "not flesh and blood", but this refers to our wrestling in general.

Much love!
@marks The example of Jacob wrestling with the angel at Bethel (Genesis 32) is kind of instructive - though I guess it applies more in the context of prayer?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks The example of Jacob wrestling with the angel at Bethel (Genesis 32) is kind of instructive - though I guess it applies more in the context of prayer?
The whole thing this morning was instructive for me to get up and sing for God to fight against the attacks of the enemy.

So I followed in obedience.

Hungry now

Reactions: Jay Ross