The Sin of Love

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PreacherZeeder

Sep 28, 2012
Alabama
1 John 2:15-Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him (NIV)

I have always been a hopeless romantic; entrapped and swallowed by the idea of love. I believe that is why it was so easy for me to dive into Christianity with a deep passion, because no love is higher than His.
It is what our universe was created by; it is what fueled the soil in the Garden of Eden; it is what paved the path of salvation and it is what allows the sun to rise each day.

I was in deep prayer a few nights ago, just sitting in a state of thankfulness and praise; when a revelation came to me about a hidden idolism. An idolism of love. My obsession with the force of love littered with the idea of righteousness became a camouflaged fortress of idolism. Of course I recognized: love for money, love for flesh, love for self, love for materials, love for alcohol, love for drugs, a love for anything which is held above the Lord is sin. Yet, what of love for love? Is it possible to idolize love itself above God?

This is a complicated sin to consider; He is love, so if we idolize love, are we not idolizing Him? The answer is in the foundation of the love we idolize. It is beyond important to consider that the love we are called to spread is not our own, but the Love of Him. If we pull from our own accord, we are at an empass with the world. If we pull from His love, we are beyond the world.

I believe that it is indeed possible to idolize our own love; not the object of our love, but the love itself; for without love the object would be without importance.

I recognize that the commandments tell us to love, however the love which is commanded is Godly love.

I would enjoy hearing some feedback on these points; both (1) the Idolism of love, and (2) the love from God vs the love from self.

Thank you for your time and God bless!

1 John 4:7, 17 AMP

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is (springs) from
God; and he who loves [his fellowmen] is begotten (born) of God and is coming
[progressively] to know and understand God [to perceive and
recognize and get a better and clearer knowledge of Him].17 In this [union and communion with Him] love is brought to
completion and attains perfection with us, that we may have
confidence for the day of judgment [with assurance and boldness to face Him],
because as He is, so are we in this world.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:15-Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him (NIV)

I have always been a hopeless romantic; entrapped and swallowed by the idea of love. I believe that is why it was so easy for me to dive into Christianity with a deep passion, because no love is higher than His.
It is what our universe was created by; it is what fueled the soil in the Garden of Eden; it is what paved the path of salvation and it is what allows the sun to rise each day.

I was in deep prayer a few nights ago, just sitting in a state of thankfulness and praise; when a revelation came to me about a hidden idolism. An idolism of love. My obsession with the force of love littered with the idea of righteousness became a camouflaged fortress of idolism. Of course I recognized: love for money, love for flesh, love for self, love for materials, love for alcohol, love for drugs, a love for anything which is held above the Lord is sin. Yet, what of love for love? Is it possible to idolize love itself above God?

This is a complicated sin to consider; He is love, so if we idolize love, are we not idolizing Him? The answer is in the foundation of the love we idolize. It is beyond important to consider that the love we are called to spread is not our own, but the Love of Him. If we pull from our own accord, we are at an empass with the world. If we pull from His love, we are beyond the world.

I believe that it is indeed possible to idolize our own love; not the object of our love, but the love itself; for without love the object would be without importance.

I recognize that the commandments tell us to love, however the love which is commanded is Godly love.

I would enjoy hearing some feedback on these points; both (1) the Idolism of love, and (2) the love from God vs the love from self.

recognize and get a better and clearer knowledge of Him].17 In this [union and communion with Him] love is brought to

I met a girl with work just brimming with passion. Very kind and loving, single and never married (such as I), fun, and exciting. You could hold her hand and feel love and warmth. The only problem is that I could not get her to go to church with me. So... That relationship is on the laodicean swing from hot to cold. That was tough!

PreacherZeeder

Sep 28, 2012
Alabama
I met a girl with work just brimming with passion. Very kind and loving, single and never married (such as I), fun, and exciting. You could hold her hand and feel love and warmth. The only problem is that I could not get her to go to church with me. So... That relationship is on the laodicean swing from hot to cold. That was tough!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, bud! That is a wonderful example on the insufficiency of our own love vs the love of God. I will most assuredly spend some time in prayer for the girl at your work.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
depends - selfish love is sin. It is a misuse of love.

PreacherZeeder

Sep 28, 2012
Alabama
depends - selfish love is sin. It is a misuse of love.

But what exatcly is your reference of selfish love? A person can be generous, kind, and caring of others yet still be apart from Christ. Selfishness is of course the idolizing of oneself; but it is possible to have the misuse of love with the good of others in mind. Thus the idolism/use of love apart from God in any manner is a sin

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Not really sure if I would call it an idolism of love. I would say that love is misused and misunderstood.

'Love' is the reason Christians refuse to take a stand, because they might 'hurt' someone. 'Love' is the reason Christianity today is falling away. Many Christians have the wrong concept of love.

In brief, the love Jesus taught us, was one of sacrifice, of pain. A love that got battered and never hit back maliciously.
I've seen way to many 'Christians', who preach this false 'love', show their true colors and become downright nasty.

PreacherZeeder

Sep 28, 2012
Alabama
Not really sure if I would call it an idolism of love. I would say that love is misused and misunderstood.

'Love' is the reason Christians refuse to take a stand, because they might 'hurt' someone. 'Love' is the reason Christianity today is falling away. Many Christians have the wrong concept of love.

In brief, the love Jesus taught us, was one of sacrifice, of pain. A love that got battered and never hit back maliciously.
I've seen way to many 'Christians', who preach this false 'love', show their true colors and become downright nasty.

I understand that which you are referencing too; however, I would say that fear is the reason Christians don't take a stand and complacency is why Christianity is declining. Yet of course, you are correct in saying that many Christians have the wrong idea of love, which is what I meant by idolism of love. A practice of love apart from God. However, for example, while we have the word "adultery" for the practice of sex apart from God, we do not have a word for the practice of love apart from God. So I simply labeled it an idolism of love or the "sin of love".

I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
God Bless!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think it is more likely the Christian is afraid of rejection.

People who do not love others can be quite nasty too.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Anything that we might serve other than God is sin. If one is not doing what Christ has told His own to do because of doing something else "it is sin". The cure is asking God for His Spirit. Then He will lead you into all truth and righteousness.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
When you look at the two greatest

Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

I don't think we can love people the way God loves people until we love God with all our heart. The Love of God will not be shed abroad in our heart until we love Him. Any other "love" that is not of Him will not be a responsible love that will love people so much, it will tell them the truth and not hold back because of possible rejection. Jesus was forsaken by all men, but continued to Love the Father and never shrank back from doing the Father's will (telling people the truth). We can't hope to be like Jesus (conformed to His image) and love people like Jesus if we don't love Him with ALL of our heart.

Axehead

Reactions: PreacherZeeder

PreacherZeeder

Sep 28, 2012
Alabama
When you look at the two greatest

Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

I don't think we can love people the way God loves people until we love God with all our heart. The Love of God will not be shed abroad in our heart until we love Him. Any other "love" that is not of Him will not be a responsible love that will love people so much, it will tell them the truth and not hold back because of possible rejection. Jesus was forsaken by all men, but continued to Love the Father and never shrank back from doing the Father's will (telling people the truth). We can't hope to be like Jesus (conformed to His image) and love people like Jesus if we don't love Him with ALL of our heart.

Axehead

I completely agree brother, you nailed it! I appreaciate you taking the time to respond. God Bless!

Anything that we might serve other than God is sin. If one is not doing what Christ has told His own to do because of doing something else "it is sin". The cure is asking God for His Spirit. Then He will lead you into all truth and righteousness.

Yes sir it is indeed. I just found it intriguing to take notice of love itself as a sin, as I believe it is frequently overlooked. but of course I agree with your conclusion of the cure to idolism. Thanks for taking the time to respond, God bless!

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
@aspen2

I would much prefer someone who is just plain nasty, then someone who professes with his mouth and life, but when the crunch comes, strips away his masquerade to show you who he really is.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@aspen2

I would much prefer someone who is just plain nasty, then someone who professes with his mouth and life, but when the crunch comes, strips away his masquerade to show you who he really is.

People are hypocrites. It is a better option than having no moral code. Nasty people are hypocrites too, unless they are sociopaths.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I empathize with what you're experiencing Preacher Zeeder. But there are so many different terms all encompassed by our one word Love. How do you pinpoint a problem when depending on how you define love, you are then talking about completely different concepts? Even romanticism has double meanings. I think a lot of the problem is in our Christian and even English terminology of love. It is possible to idolize something we call love, but I can't really call that love if it isn't good. So when I'm trying to define a struggle between obedience to God and my heart and desires I guess I can't always use human logic to grasp what I'm saying. Hopefully that speaks to someone. God is love, love is good... and what is love? Well, the more we understand God the more we will understand love. Love requires sacrifice in the context of God and Jesus. It requires a resource the most used of which might be time. When you spend time with someone you love you are using a resource you would otherwise be spending somewhere/sometime else. Because when you are talking about love you are talking about concepts that supercede physics. And all other resources except maybe life itself aren't required of love. Unless it's the loving thing to do to to be required of physically. It is easier to reason almost any other scriptural truth except "why God loves?" Gets me stuck every time. The only reason I do is because he does, but why he does... ??? just doesn't make sense on a most reasonable level. Well, I apologize for my rant, but I'm there with you and we'll figure this love thing out eventually even on a basic human emotional/desire level.

God Bless,

M