• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ten commandments are ten moral principles that God says human beings are to live by.
A list of explanations for them are as follows:

We are born, on average, or in general with an inclination to:

1. ...gravitate toward authority figures that most closely resemble an ideal that we fashion over time--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  2. ...find inanimate things or ideas to devote entirely too much time to--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  3. ...speak of holy things, especially God, in a manner that does not glorify God--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  4. ...grind away at the mundane business of our lives, forgetting to block off any substantial amount of quality time to appreciate our Creator God and the things He has given us to enhance/encourage growth in our spiritual lives--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  5. ...get distracted from the importance of honoring those who have been assigned by God to care for us as children and teach us in the way that we should go--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  6. ...resort to anger and violence toward our fellow man in the pursuit of our own wants and plans--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  7. ...seek physical pleasure for ourselves in a way that defiles us and also harms those we find to conspire with us in this selfish pleasure-seeking--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  8. ...selfishly take by mischief/force things or ideas from others which have not been granted stewardship to us by God--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  9. ...traffic, in tales of others', things which we do not know to be true and may result in damage to them in some way--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.
  10. ...think upon the blessings of others as something we should rightly possess, when we have not been granted stewardship of them by God--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ten commandments are ten moral principles that God says human beings are to live by.
I'd have to say though that this list is 10 Moral Principles derived from the 10 Commandments. The commandments themselves are particular.

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much love, indeed! :)
This is a really good list!

...traffic, in tales of others', things which we do not know to be true and may result in damage to them in some way--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.

You shall not bear false witness . . .

This one is really in the forefront of my battle in life these past couple of years. The one I bear false witness to is myself. Telling myself lies, letting myself believe lies. Misrepresenting myself in my own mind! Truly fleshy! Yes, we are to live in truth! Not some falsehood that Jesus doesn't care, won't help, can't change me, is done with me, I've heard it all! And it's all a pack of lies!

We are to live in truth, the Truth.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a really good list!

You shall not bear false witness . . .

This one is really in the forefront of my battle in life these past couple of years. The one I bear false witness to is myself. Telling myself lies, letting myself believe lies. Misrepresenting myself in my own mind! Truly fleshy! Yes, we are to live in truth! Not some falsehood that Jesus doesn't care, won't help, can't change me, is done with me, I've heard it all! And it's all a pack of lies!

We are to live in truth, the Truth.

Much love!
You should look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I learned about it from Dr. Neil Nedley. You can even do it on yourself!! All you have to do is start writing down the distorted thoughts or lies that you tell yourself. And then, right below it, write down the actual truth that you should be contemplating and, of course, it's good to try to keep it Christ-centered. You can do it on a mobile notepad app and just keep adding to it and review it every day.

For a rough example:

DT (distorted thought): I feel like no one loves me
Truth: Jesus loves me like I can't even imagine, and so does my Aunt _______ ________, etc.

and on and on...

This kind of thing, when integrated into prayer, fasting, and Bible study, really frees us up to allow Christ to bear the fruit of self-control in us, which is really most people's main problem. It's really what got us into this mess, I think.

A fella by the name of William Backus has written a series of books of which the first is titled: "Lies You Tell Yourself" or something similar to that. I have several of them. I think one or two of them might be included in Kindle Unlimited, if that's something you have access to. Neil Nedley has a book called "The Lost Art Of Thinking" that I'm dying to read. He specializes in treatment-resistant depression/anxiety. Yeah, I'll quit rambling now - lol. :)

I don't know how to post these things without plopping down a big old screen on the page.
(It's about self-control--the pleasantries give way to the main lecture at the 4:30 mark)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
CBT and EBT, very good tools.

Most recently, I read "Your Brain is Always Listening", by Dr. Daniel Amen. Very good stuff!

At the end of the day, I've learned this to be part and parcel of the renewing of the mind.

There are the childhood issues and other issues of life, and there are the deceptive lusts of the flesh, and we shouldn't define ourselves according to either.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...gravitate toward authority figures that most closely resemble an ideal that we fashion over time--God says we shouldn't/mustn't do this, because it will harm us.

Or, to seek after "authority figures" that will justify what we ourselves want to do.

I think that real humility is in knowing as a fact that I don't know what is right and good for me, and therefore, I am truly dependant on God, for His provision and leading.

Although the first commandment is to love and worship God alone, which I think goes a lot deeper.

The apostle asked the question, if we don't love our brother whom we have seen, how can we say we love God Whom we have not seen?

The commandment is to love God, how can we love Him Who we do not know?

God says we MUST love Him, and worship Him alone, and in failing to do so we die.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or, to seek after "authority figures" that will justify what we ourselves want to do.

I think that real humility is in knowing as a fact that I don't know what is right and good for me, and therefore, I am truly dependant on God, for His provision and leading.

Although the first commandment is to love and worship God alone, which I think goes a lot deeper.

The apostle asked the question, if we don't love our brother whom we have seen, how can we say we love God Whom we have not seen?

The commandment is to love God, how can we love Him Who we do not know?

God says we MUST love Him, and worship Him alone, and in failing to do so we die.

Much love!
This is fantastic stuff, M!
applause.gif
salute.gif