Does God want us to enjoy our lives?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is life meant to be hard because it's not heaven?

Right, Jesus says in John 16:

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
This life is a testing place for everyone.

Not in the worldly sense, but yes, we can enjoy our lives in the godly sense.

Joy is associated with holiness in Nehemiah 8:

10 Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
11 The Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be still, for this is a holy day. Do not grieve.”
12Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.
Prioritize. Put God first, Psalm 37:

4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Joy is associated with God's presence in Psalm 16:

11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Joy is a natural outcome of walking by the Spirit, Galatians 5:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Does God want us to enjoy life?

In this world, we have trouble. But take heart! We can indeed enjoy life in Christ every day. I do :) If you find life hard, get closer to God.

See also What is my job/calling?.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love the Fruit of the Spirit quote. It's a good counterpoint to a life lived for oneself. Hear "The Preacher"...

Ecclesiastes 2:1-6;8-11 said:
1 I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure. So enjoy yourself.” And behold, it too was futility. 2 I said of laughter, “It is senseless,” and of pleasure, “What does this accomplish?”

3 I explored with my mind how to refresh my body with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely; and how to seize foolishness, until I could see what good there is for the sons of mankind to do under heaven for the few years of their lives. 4 I enlarged my works: I built houses for myself, I planted vineyards for myself; 5 I made gardens and parks for myself, and I planted in them all kinds of fruit trees; 6 I made ponds of water for myself from which to irrigate a forest of growing trees. ... 8 I also amassed for myself silver and gold, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I provided for myself male and female singers, and the pleasures of the sons of mankind: many concubines. 9 Then I became great and increased more than all who preceded me in Jerusalem. My wisdom also stood by me....

11 So I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold, all was futility and striving after wind, and there was no benefit under the sun.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I'm also haunted by this one:

Mark8:34-35 said:
And He summoned the crowd together with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.

Last edited:

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In this world, we have trouble. But take heart! We can indeed enjoy life in Christ every day. I do :) If you find life hard, get closer to God.

This is the verse that came to me reading this... when I looked up the Hebrew meaning of peace, I was like wow covered health even too.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

The World system makes this planet a immoral sewer that we have to wade through, holding our noses, if we are born again.

If we look at Genesis, then we see the LIFE that God had for us all, and ADAM ruined it for us all.

"EDEN" was not a hard life, and that was to be OURS, but Adam allowed the Devil to have dominion down here.

And right THERE.... it all began to go wrong as that allowed the Devil to become the "god of this world" and so, this world is built on His nature and his nature is LUST and EVIL.

Being born again, allows us to exist morally and spiritually ABOVE this world's system.

"Be in it, (we live here) but not OF IT""". ( we are not LIKE IT)... we are NEW CREATIONS down here in this filthy swamp of carnal unregenerated humanity.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, God wants us to enjoy our lives. He is teaching us how to do that, I believe.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, God wants us to enjoy our lives. He is teaching us how to do that, I believe.

Jesus said '""" i came to give you life that THAT (That Life) more Abundantly".

Jesus gives us eternal life, NOW.......as "born again"...

And that Life "in Christ"... is saturated with Truth and Joy and Hope and Favor and Goodness.

One of the things that "feeds me Spiritually" other the the Bible is to read about the lives of "Saints".

Now, all the born again are "Saints'... , but in the History of the "cult of Mary" they like to define a "Saint".

Occasionally the "Cult of Mary" would murder an amazing Believer and then later redefine them as a Catholic Saint.

So, that is nonsense, as God already defines us all as Saints.. who are born again.
. However, the "cult of Mary" does have a process of singling out people who were incredibly devoted to Jesus, and God.

And some of them were, and some of them were faking it, because they want to be perceived that way...

= Around 950AD - 1400 AD... there is a history that is filled with some really amazing "Saints" who live in Italy, or Germany, or somewhere in Europe.

Amazing Lives of Devotion to Jesus and God. Amazing writings and deep understanding of spirituality.

Check it out., its worth a look.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 11:8-10

⁸However many years anyone may live,
let them enjoy them all.
But let them remember the days of darkness,
for there will be many.
Everything to come is meaningless.
⁹You who are young, be happy while you are young,
and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth.
Follow the ways of your heart
and whatever your eyes see,
but know that for all these things
God will bring you into judgment.
¹⁰So then, banish anxiety from your heart
and cast off the troubles of your body,
for youth and vigor are meaningless

(HCSB)

It's amazing how using scissors can make scriptures say the opposite of what is intended by scriptures.

Reactions: Lambano

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
God wants you to enjoy both your life and His "riches in Glory".

Jesus came that we might "have LIFE and that more abundantly".. both down here and in Eternity.

Reactions: JohnDB