The Thing I Fear as a Believer in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UNDERSTANDING HOW HE VIEWS US IN CHRIST

Knowing how He views us in Christ will strengthen the inner man and demolish satan's strongholds.

Great post! I also think we need to see ourselves as God sees us...I will believe what He say's about me over what I say about myself, and I truly am a new creation in Christ, sin just doesn't fit anymore...not that I do not sin...I strive to walk in the Spirit so as not to do the deeds of the flesh.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Great post! I also think we need to see ourselves as God sees us...I will believe what He say's about me over what I say about myself, and I truly am a new creation in Christ, sin just doesn't fit anymore...not that I do not sin...I strive to walk in the Spirit so as not to do the deeds of the flesh.

Amen...agree :)
Nice to see you posting here...:cool:

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not fear death or the loss of salvation. Those two go together. If one is unsure of their salvation, or that they can lose it, then they can never have the fear of death removed from them. But our salvation is secure in the work of Jesus Christ and His work alone. We who are believers in Christ are going to get there.

But Scripture is clear to believers concerning something else. (1 John 2:28) "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

Irregardless of how you want to view 'his coming', whether it be at death, or the rapture, or the Second Coming, it is when you will meet the Lord Jesus. And as John says, if we are not in a spiritual state of abiding with Him, then we will certainly meet Him in a feeling of being ashamed before Him. And as a believer in Christ, that is my greatest fear. That is the last thing I ever want to occur. Understand, the shameness is on my part, not Jesus's. He is not ashamed to call me brethren. But if in a state of straying away from Christ and not abiding in Him, it will be the feeling felt by me if I meet Him in that state. Of course it won't last, but it will be there.

How much better to be walking with Him, abiding in Him, when I meet Him. If it be through the process of death, how easy the transition since I would already be walking in the spirit instead of the flesh. And how difficult a time that would be if I am walking in the flesh. No confidence. A fear. And an ashamedness to meet Him.

This encourages me to maintain a walk with Him.

Stranger

I have replaced fear with awe and wonder. If God wants to damn me, it is his prerogative - however, based on His character, there seems to be no limit He will go to in order to save us. Fear is the opposite of faith

Hi Aspen,

I agree totally that fear can be a lack of faith, but it can also come from anxiety or brain chemistry in those who might be considered mentally/emotionally unstable. I see fear as equaling punishment so, since Jesus took away all of our punishment, and we are not assigned to the Wrath of God...we need to BELIEVE what His Word says and experience His freedom, Amen!

In Christ
-nancy

Reactions: aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Aspen,

I agree totally that fear can be a lack of faith, but it can also come from anxiety or brain chemistry in those who might be considered mentally/emotionally unstable. I see fear as equaling punishment so, since Jesus took away all of our punishment, and we are not assigned to the Wrath of God...we need to BELIEVE what His Word says and experience His freedom, Amen!

In Christ
-nancy

And, as 2 Tim 1 says
There is also "a spirit of fear".
When a person comes under an unreasonable heavy fear...it is not a 'wise kind' of fear ( "don't touch the fire") but it is a spirit of heaviness , the spirit of fear.

A spirit of fear does not leave by being praying it away...it leaves by 'kicking' in the name of Jesus! ✟

Reactions: Nancy

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Correct.
Kicking away does not work.
The world kicks left and right without results.
The only thing that works is using the Name of Jesus.

In Jesus Name!

Reactions: pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Correct.
Kicking away does not work.
The world kicks left and right without results.
The only thing that works is using the Name of Jesus.

In Jesus Name!

Yes, agree...the Word and The Name....in the anointing of the Holy Spirit..mighty weapons.

Reactions: pia and Triumph1300

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, as 2 Tim 1 says
There is also "a spirit of fear".
When a person comes under an unreasonable heavy fear...it is not a 'wise kind' of fear ( "don't touch the fire") but it is a spirit of heaviness , the spirit of fear.

A spirit of fear does not leave by being praying it away...it leaves by 'kicking' in the name of Jesus! ✟

Lol Grace...something about that name huh? :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Scripture is clear to believers concerning something else. (1 John 2:28) "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

Greetings, Stranger.

You seem to be applying this verse to yourself personally, as if it is talking about the individual. But all the words in this verse are in the plural, which means John was addressing them as a congregation. The command was for them to abide in Him collectively, by "keeping themselves in the love of God," a reference to the manifest Presence of the Holy Spirit (Jude 1:19-21). This is true New Testament theology.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not fear death or the loss of salvation. Those two go together. If one is unsure of their salvation, or that they can lose it, then they can never have the fear of death removed from them. But our salvation is secure in the work of Jesus Christ and His work alone. We who are believers in Christ are going to get there.

Irregardless of how you want to view 'his coming', whether it be at death, or the rapture, or the Second Coming, it is when you will meet the Lord Jesus. And as John says, if we are not in a spiritual state of abiding with Him, then we will certainly meet Him in a feeling of being ashamed before Him. And as a believer in Christ, that is my greatest fear. That is the last thing I ever want to occur. Understand, the shameness is on my part, not Jesus's. He is not ashamed to call me brethren. But if in a state of straying away from Christ and not abiding in Him, it will be the feeling felt by me if I meet Him in that state. Of course it won't last, but it will be there.

How much better to be walking with Him, abiding in Him, when I meet Him. If it be through the process of death, how easy the transition since I would already be walking in the spirit instead of the flesh. And how difficult a time that would be if I am walking in the flesh. No confidence. A fear. And an ashamedness to meet Him.

This encourages me to maintain a walk with Him.

Stranger
I love the scripture in Philippians 1:6 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
This scripture has always spoke to me in a way that it reminds me that once I got saved that a good work had begun and that He would continue that work until Christ returned....I am thankful for His Mercy and Grace...I would be a wreck without it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings, Stranger.

You seem to be applying this verse to yourself personally, as if it is talking about the individual. But all the words in this verse are in the plural, which means John was addressing them as a congregation. The command was for them to abide in Him collectively, by "keeping themselves in the love of God," a reference to the manifest Presence of the Holy Spirit (Jude 1:19-21). This is true New Testament theology.

OK. So, I as an individual don't need to worry about being ashamed at His coming. As long as everyone else is doing their part, Im ok. BS.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love the scripture in Philippians 1:6 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
This scripture has always spoke to me in a way that it reminds me that once I got saved that a good work had begun and that He would continue that work until Christ returned....I am thankful for His Mercy and Grace...I would be a wreck without it.

I do too.

As would I.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. So, I as an individual don't need to worry about being ashamed at His coming. As long as everyone else is doing their part, Im ok. BS.

Stranger

Just giving you the accurate interpretation of the scripture you were quoting, since inaccurate interpretation leads to misapplication. It was intended to help.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just giving you the accurate interpretation of the scripture you were quoting, since inaccurate interpretation leads to misapplication. It was intended to help.

Not hardly. You spoke first of all of the distinction between 'collective' and 'personal'. Note the words, 'themselves' and 'yourselves' in the verses in Jude which you quoted. But now that doesn't seem to matter. Which means my question remains, as long as I am doing my part then everything must be ok? Says you.

You gave an inaccurate interpretation of the Scripture I was quoting. (1 John 2:28) is clear that it is speaking to believers. Your so called interpretation is based on (Jude 1: 19-21) which vs (19) is not speaking to believers. It is to those who have not the Spirit of Christ. Non-believers.

So, you have not given any accurate interpretation of the Scriptures that are being addressed.

Intended to help?......sorry, I ain't buying that.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not hardly. You spoke first of all of the distinction between 'collective' and 'personal'. Note the words, 'themselves' and 'yourselves' in the verses in Jude which you quoted. But now that doesn't seem to matter. Which means my question remains, as long as I am doing my part then everything must be ok? Says you.

You gave an inaccurate interpretation of the Scripture I was quoting. (1 John 2:28) is clear that it is speaking to believers. Your so called interpretation is based on (Jude 1: 19-21) which vs (19) is not speaking to believers. It is to those who have not the Spirit of Christ. Non-believers.

So, you have not given any accurate interpretation of the Scriptures that are being addressed.

Intended to help?......sorry, I ain't buying that.

Stranger

The words are in plural in 1 John 2:28.

Καὶ νῦν τεκνία μένετε ἐν αὐτῷ ἵνα ἐὰν φανερωθῇ σχῶμεν παρρησίαν καὶ μὴ αἰσχυνθῶμεν ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν τῇ παρουσίᾳ αὐτοῦ.

But believe as you wish.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words are in plural in 1 John 2:28.

Καὶ νῦν τεκνία μένετε ἐν αὐτῷ ἵνα ἐὰν φανερωθῇ σχῶμεν παρρησίαν καὶ μὴ αἰσχυνθῶμεν ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν τῇ παρουσίᾳ αὐτοῦ.

But believe as you wish.

Yes, I know they are plural in (1 John 2:28). But in (Jude 19) it is speaking to non-believers. And it is collective. (These) But you want to attribute it to me an individual. Thus you have not given an accurate interpretation of the Scriptures that are addressed. You are not true to your own misguided interpretation.

Your statement 'believe as you wish' is a lie also. You don't want me to believe as I wish, or you would not try to prove me wrong. So, all of what you are saying is deceptive. Sounds good though. Makes hay with some.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Jude 19) it is speaking to non-believers

It never ends with you.

I quoted Jude 1:19 through 21. I quoted 19 because it references the Spirit, but then transitions in verses 20-21 to talking about believers as instead HAVING the Spirit.

Stranger, I have no choice but to say this now. You speak for the Devil and you are used by the Devil continually, and you will stand judgment before God for doing so if you do not repent of your sins before your death. You incite division and strife everywhere you go, and yet position yourself as standing in the office of a teacher of God before others. I don't say this in hate. I am simply giving you a formal warning, which is my responsibility in Christ here. You will stand judgment before God for serving Satan with your life if you do not repent, so please repent while you have time.

Sincerely,
Hidden In Him

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It never ends with you.

I quoted Jude 1:19 through 21. I quoted 19 because it references the Spirit, but then transitions in verses 20-21 to talking about believers as instead HAVING the Spirit.

Stranger, I have no choice but to say this now. You speak for the Devil and you are used by the Devil continually, and you will stand judgment before God for doing so if you do not repent of your sins before your death. You incite division and strife everywhere you go, and yet position yourself as standing in the office of a teacher of God before others. I don't say this in hate. I am simply giving you a formal warning, which is my responsibility in Christ here. You will stand judgment for God for serving Satan with your life if you do not repent, so please repent while you have time.

Sincerely,
Hidden In Him

No, you quoted (Jude 19) because you didn't know, and don't know what your are talking about. Again, you mix 'collectively' and 'personal' as ok with you when you use the Scripture. But when I quoted Scripture you come up with this 'collective' and 'personal' bull.

Oh gee, you are so nice and good. You don't speak in 'hate'. Brings a tear to my eye. Your warnings mean nothing to me. Why? Because they are as empty as your interpretations.

Understand there is no hesitation in my response to you.

Stranger

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I found the OP to be a very well put, timely reminder for us not to get bogged down in day to day distractions. And let's be honest...no matter how we "walk in the Spirit", we all tend to get caught up. How can we not when we cannot neglect living? God would not have us neglect living. We have family, responsibilities, jobs, friends, Church family...on and on it goes. Even if it is good and edifying work, it can tie us up and distract us.
We need to keep forefront of our minds what's really going on here. What's our goal, where are we headed, who's driving this ship?
I think, as humans, we have this tendency to not really grasp as "real" what's far off into the future for us. We "know" in our heads that one day we will stand before Christ...but it's such a distant reality that we don't often live like that could happen today.
Thanks Stranger, for reminding me I have to think "today" every day.