The Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Scholars of Greek have translated John 16:7 and John 14:17 with the word HIM (not she and not it).
See John 14:17
Do you understand that I have covered this already.....it is grammatical, "autos" is masculine gender in Greek.
The NWT translates "autos" as "that one" because it means "he, she, they, who" it is not gender specific unless you translate it that way....the "comforter" is masculine gender so all the pronouns follow suit. The holy spirit is not a person. When God and his son are spoken about together, the holy spirit is invariably missing, most notably in John 17:3 where 'knowing' Jehovah and his Christ are imperative to gaining everlasting life...but apparently one does not need to "know" the holy spirit....for obvious reasons....there is no one to know. It is something to know about.
Have you ever learned French? Same thing.....everything is given masculine or feminine gender....nothing to do with actual gender, just a quirk of grammar.

The early church grappled with the idea of who Jesus was.
The Apostles themselves did not know....
It wasn't until the resurrection that they understood who Jesus was and understood all that He had said about what He had
to suffer.

Much study of letters circulating went into the accepted belief that Jesus was not "just" a man.
I can list why, but it's too late now.
There are reasons why the early believers came to understand that Jesus is God.
Please remind me tomorrow. (it's midnight now).
The apostles did know who Jesus was....they knew who their God was too. They had no confusion.....that was created later by the church, not God. Jesus spent three and a half years instructing the apostles who said....
"Indeed, even though there are so-called gods in heaven and on earth—and there are in fact many gods and many lords— 6 for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist." (1 Corinthians 8:5-6 NCB) There you have it....a direct statement in the simplest of terms.
Their "one God" was the Father...and their "one Lord" was Jesus Christ.....again, no holy spirit mentioned.

.....what they did not fully understand was that they would be going to heaven....they were Jews with no expectation whatsoever as to being chosen to go assist Christ in heaven. Their final words to the departing Jesus...."As they were all gathered together, they asked him, “Lord, is this the time when you are going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He replied, “It is not for you to know the dates or the times that the Father has designated by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and then you will be my witnesses not only in Jerusalem, but throughout Judea and Samaria, and indeed to the farthest ends of the earth. (Acts 1:6-8 NCB)

Jewish belief was that Messiah would establish his Kingdom on earth and the Jews would then officiate in a rebuilt Temple here on earth.....their anointing with holy spirit at Pentecost opened their eyes of understanding and implanted a strong desire to leave this earthly life and go to where their "Lord" was....he had promised them a place and he was going to prepare it for them.
Heaven was where the true Temple was, and the elect would serve God there. That is what they came to understand. The Jewish system of worship, with its Temple and its priesthood, was a shadow of the heavenly reality. Once Jesus had offered the ultimate sacrifice, an earthly Temple was no longer necessary. Jesus went back to heaven to offer the value of his sacrifice to God. He is our High Priest....
Hebrews 9:23-24 (NCB)...
"Therefore, it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves required still greater sacrifices.

24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven itself, so that he now appears in the presence of God on our behalf."

Paul mentioned Jewish observances and said that "Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ." (Colossians 2:17; Hebrews 8:5)

The early church had some teaching ariansim....
The creed was to combat this heresy and clarify the church's position re the hypostatic union.
Arianism simply claimed that the trinity was false....Jesus was not God....you have to understand that adopting a triune god altered the whole nature of the Creator and his relationship with his son. It did not become accepted right away because it was such a departure from what the first Christians believed about the "one God" of Israel. (Deuteronomy 6:4).

There is no such thing as "hypostatic union" in Christianity. This is a Greek philosophical idea, absent from the minds of the first Christians. The strangest part about Roman Catholicism is that the worst heretics were the first ones to point fingers at those who disagreed with their own heresy and dished out the most heinous punishment to those who dared to tell the truth.....the trinity was a complete departure from anything taught by Jesus Christ. But as the church gained power, it became more and more corrupt.....no one can deny its ugly history.....sorry, but I can never understand anyone reverting to such corruption of Christ's teachings, and promotion of a religion with such obvious falsehoods.

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you understand that I have covered this already.....it is grammatical, "autos" is masculine gender in Greek.
The NWT translates "autos" as "that one" because it means "he, she, they, who" it is not gender specific unless you translate it that way....the "comforter" is masculine gender so all the pronouns follow suit. The holy spirit is not a person. When God and his son are spoken about together, the holy spirit is invariably missing, most notably in John 17:3 where 'knowing' Jehovah and his Christ are imperative to gaining everlasting life...but apparently one does not need to "know" the holy spirit....for obvious reasons....there is no one to know. It is something to know about.
Have you ever learned French? Same thing.....everything is given masculine or feminine gender....nothing to do with actual gender, just a quirk of grammar.

The apostles did know who Jesus was....they knew who their God was too. They had no confusion.....that was created later by the church, not God. Jesus spent three and a half years instructing the apostles who said....
"Indeed, even though there are so-called gods in heaven and on earth—and there are in fact many gods and many lords— 6 for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist." (1 Corinthians 8:5-6 NCB) There you have it....a direct statement in the simplest of terms.
Their "one God" was the Father...and their "one Lord" was Jesus Christ.....again, no holy spirit mentioned.

.....what they did not fully understand was that they would be going to heaven....they were Jews with no expectation whatsoever as to being chosen to go assist Christ in heaven. Their final words to the departing Jesus...."As they were all gathered together, they asked him, “Lord, is this the time when you are going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He replied, “It is not for you to know the dates or the times that the Father has designated by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and then you will be my witnesses not only in Jerusalem, but throughout Judea and Samaria, and indeed to the farthest ends of the earth. (Acts 1:6-8 NCB)

Jewish belief was that Messiah would establish his Kingdom on earth and the Jews would then officiate in a rebuilt Temple here on earth.....their anointing with holy spirit at Pentecost opened their eyes of understanding and implanted a strong desire to leave this earthly life and go to where their "Lord" was....he had promised them a place and he was going to prepare it for them.
Heaven was where the true Temple was, and the elect would serve God there. That is what they came to understand. The Jewish system of worship, with its Temple and its priesthood, was a shadow of the heavenly reality. Once Jesus had offered the ultimate sacrifice, an earthly Temple was no longer necessary. Jesus went back to heaven to offer the value of his sacrifice to God. He is our High Priest....
Hebrews 9:23-24 (NCB)...
"Therefore, it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves required still greater sacrifices.

24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven itself, so that he now appears in the presence of God on our behalf."

Paul mentioned Jewish observances and said that "Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ." (Colossians 2:17; Hebrews 8:5)

Arianism simply claimed that the trinity was false....Jesus was not God....you have to understand that adopting a triune god altered the whole nature of the Creator and his relationship with his son. It did not become accepted right away because it was such a departure from what the first Christians believed about the "one God" of Israel. (Deuteronomy 6:4).

There is no such thing as "hypostatic union" in Christianity. This is a Greek philosophical idea, absent from the minds of the first Christians. The strangest part about Roman Catholicism is that the worst heretics were the first ones to point fingers at those who disagreed with their own heresy and dished out the most heinous punishment to those who dared to tell the truth.....the trinity was a complete departure from anything taught by Jesus Christ. But as the church gained power, it became more and more corrupt.....no one can deny its ugly history.....sorry, but I can never understand anyone reverting to such corruption of Christ's teachings, and promotion of a religion with such obvious falsehoods.
Aunty Jane some people can't handle the truth or follow their hearts, they are beaten down by what they were indoctrinated with and fear opening their eyes, as I did and so many have.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Where was Apostle John showing that believing Jesus is God a salvation issue?
@Davy

Hi Davy.
I saw the above question to you because I got a like.

Everything you believe is true and you know that we agree.

I'd like to clarify why I don't believe that understanding the Trinity is a salvation issue.

It's really never stated as such.
Some have a difficult time understanding it but I think you and I have come to terms with it.
Some won't make the effort.

BUT, I do believe it's necessary to believe that Jesus is God.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
What Scripture verse says that?
I'm not going to post a verse.

I think @Aunty Jane is closer to the truth, or at least she believes Jesus is the Son in some way.

I fear you're extremely far from the accepted beliefs of Christianity.

Since you did state that Jesus was just a man,
Then He was a crazy man who believed He was the Son of GOD, and being a Jew, this was a crazy belief.
And if He thought He was the Messiah, He was just as crazy as those Messiahs that came before Him but were frauds.

And completely crazy to the tilt for going to death ON THE CROSS for His crazy beliefs.

Not much more left to say.

I guess believing Jesus to be a man is the biggest heresy of all.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy

Hi Davy.
I saw the above question to you because I got a like.

Everything you believe is true and you know that we agree.

I'd like to clarify why I don't believe that understanding the Trinity is a salvation issue.

It's really never stated as such.
Some have a difficult time understanding it but I think you and I have come to terms with it.
Some won't make the effort.

BUT, I do believe it's necessary to believe that Jesus is God.

Believing that Jesus is God is actually the gist of it. That because if He were just a human like us, then what would we have placed our Faith in, and thus our hope for Salvation? That is why it is a Salvation issue, because it directly involves one's Faith, i.e., what they believe in.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not going to post a verse.

Because there is no Scripture that teaches this doctrine of yours that you must believe Jesus is God to be saved. That is my point. Thanks!

Since you did state that Jesus was just a man,
Then He was a crazy man who believed He was the Son of GOD

Another logical fallacy. So, now your position is that unless one believes Jesus is God, then Jesus was crazy. This is NOT my position at all.

Jesus is the first fruits. This mean there are like that follow after him. It is called adoptionism and is the heart of the Good News. To say Jesus was the only son of God is only true until other children come along. The first born is always the only child until other children come along. Read and understand Acts 17:31
He has fixed a day of accountability, when the whole world will be justly evaluated by a new, higher standard: not by a statue, but by a living man. God selected this man and made Him credible to all by raising Him from the dead.

What does it mean that God selected this man? Adoptionism. It means that like us, we are elected by God to be his children. Again, it is the heart of the Good News. Jesus is the son of God and so are we. This is the inheritance Scripture speaks of.

I guess believing Jesus to be a man is the biggest heresy of all.

Jesus gave himself only one title, Son of Man. This means man. Not sure why you make the assertions you do but make a blessed day.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Because there is no Scripture that teaches this doctrine of yours that you must believe Jesus is God to be saved. That is my point. Thanks!

Another logical fallacy. So, now your position is that unless one believes Jesus is God, then Jesus was crazy. This is NOT my position at all.

Jesus is the first fruits. This mean there are like that follow after him. It is called adoptionism and is the heart of the Good News. To say Jesus was the only son of God is only true until other children come along. The first born is always the only child until other children come along. Read and understand Acts 17:31
He has fixed a day of accountability, when the whole world will be justly evaluated by a new, higher standard: not by a statue, but by a living man. God selected this man and made Him credible to all by raising Him from the dead.

What does it mean that God selected this man? Adoptionism. It means that like us, we are elected by God to be his children. Again, it is the heart of the Good News. Jesus is the son of God and so are we. This is the inheritance Scripture speaks of.

Jesus gave himself only one title, Son of Man. This means man. Not sure why you make the assertions you do but make a blessed day.
Sorry. I didn't finish reading your post.
The Holy Spirit will help you, if you want to really understand.

Just a comment about the first fruits...
Are you saying God had no "children" before Jesus?

Are you saying no one was saved before Jesus?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes, that is what I am saying.
Well, that takes care of that.

Please remove the word CHRISTIAN from under your avatar and...

1. Figure out what religion you belong to.

2. Get help understanding the Christian religion, of which you claim to be a part.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that takes care of that.

Please remove the word CHRISTIAN from under your avatar and...

1. Figure out what religion you belong to.

2. Get help understanding the Christian religion, of which you claim to be a part.
It goes to show the power of your idolatry. Which do you choose:
A. Bring people to Jesus, even if they don't believe he is God.
B. Prevent people from coming to Jesus as you make the trinity an obstacle.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Why bring anyone to Jesus?
What could the possible reason be?
Just a man.
What good is that?
Bring them to Jordan Peterson, he's chock full of good ideas and ways to make our lives better.
AND, he's alive right now,,,they could actually converse!

Yeah. That's the ticket.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sorry. I didn't finish reading your post.
The Holy Spirit will help you, if you want to really understand.

Just a comment about the first fruits...
Are you saying God had no "children" before Jesus?

Are you saying no one was saved before Jesus?
It is the Holy Spirit Who gives light and understanding of Scripture.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
BTW
Your problem is not that you don't understand the Trinity...

Your problem is that you don't know who Jesus is.

Your problem is that you're following a man,
And a crazy man at that.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace It's really about being willing to acknowledge that Father, Son and Holy Spirit are indeed in Scripture - and overwhelmingly so, indeed...
Right.
And they are so unique too.
Which is what begotten means in this case...unique.
Even in the OT we read about the Spirit of God and we even read about Jesus,,,all the prophecies He fulfilled.

Maybe that could be a thread too?
THAT I can do!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right.
Even in the OT we read about the Spirit of God and we even read about Jesus,,,all the prophecies He fulfilled.

THAT I can do!
These central, doctrinal matters from Scripture are so vital.

(Anything else pales into insignificance, in the scheme of things....)

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Right.

THAT I can do!
I’m in. Let’s explore “only begotten” (monogenes) and see exactly what it means when it pertains to Jesus.....?