The Undiscovered Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

I would share this 2 minute video which the Gospel threaded throughout the genealogies from Adam to Noah..it actually will start with God, of course: Which simply means "The God" in Hebrew, then we go onto Adam which means "man" in Hebrew and continues in order of their birth. I do not think ANY man could have hidden this within the genealogies:
This is interesting, but Greek and Hebrew words have a wide area of meaning. So we could probably make something else out of it too.

Reactions: APAK

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was assuming that since it was written in Hebrew , the man used a Hebrew dictionary to arrive at the meanings of the names...why would he use a Greek one...? Confused at what you are trying to say..

if you mean that a Hebrew word can have more than one meaning and the meanings can be widely different depending on context, you are correct...But does this mean we can't do a translation at all?

I have not looked up the Hebrew names myself and probably never will, but...still not understanding your point...

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was assuming that since it was written in Hebrew , the man used a Hebrew dictionary to arrive at the meanings of the names...why would he use a Greek one...? Confused at what you are trying to say..

if you mean that a Hebrew word can have more than one meaning and the meanings can be widely different depending on context, you are correct...But does this mean we can't do a translation at all?

I have not looked up the Hebrew names myself and probably never will, but...still not understanding your point...

Where Hebrew is concerned all the definitions count. All the different ways to translate a word or phrase are valid. That's what makes the word so deep. The resultant play on words are actually like a hidden message for the diligent seekers.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is interesting, but Greek and Hebrew words have a wide area of meaning. So we could probably make something else out of it too.
Well, since the Old Covenant was written in almost 100% Hebrew...and the meanings of the names in the genealogy are all Hebrew interpretations OF Hebrew names, it only makes sense to take them as they are interpreted in the Hebrew.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, since the Old Covenant was written in almost 100% Hebrew...and the meanings of the names in the genealogy are all Hebrew interpretations OF Hebrew names, it only makes sense to take them as they are interpreted in the Hebrew.

Which are all there on purpose. It shows the depth of the word.

An example in Greek is that Luke wrote to a man called Theophilus...,which means "lover of God." So whether it was a man or all lovers of God...it still works. :)

Another example is that Jesus went to a place called Ephraim...there to be with His disciples. This represents the Gentile church.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I also have the rest of the genealogies from Noah to Jesus :) I can send it to you in PM if you would like!
@Dave L - You can use any definition you want but, you cannot change the eternal message of The Gospel. And why would you throw Greek into Hebrew anyhow??

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

I also have the rest of the genealogies from Noah to Jesus :) I can send it to you in PM if you would like!
@Dave L - You can use any definition you want but, you cannot change the eternal message of The Gospel. And why would you throw Greek into Hebrew anyhow??
I'm only saying the original languages are flexible and translators take liberties with them.

Reactions: APAK
D

Dave L

Yes, but every word except a few is flexible.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm only saying the original languages are flexible and translators take liberties with them.
Very true yet, you cannot argue with God's logic. Hard pressed to change that genealogy message very much even using some of the other meanings...which, IMHO are just synonyms of the same name.

Reactions: Helen

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes please, I would like to read it!

D

Dave L

Very true yet, you cannot argue with God's logic. Hard pressed to change that genealogy message very much even using some of the other meanings...which, IMHO are just synonyms of the same name.
Why make more out of scripture than what it actually says?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why make more out of scripture than what it actually says?
:confused: Um, because these are the hidden things of God, there for the finding for those willing to do the seeking! His Word will NEVER be fully known to man, there are treasures forever hidden in His Living Word. And, at least to those who "seek" sincerely and humbly will be brought to light.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be a bi tter and closed off man. I feel bad for you. Where is your jo y in the Spirit? What have you faced that has made you this sour? I'm all ears if you want to share. Let us try to help you.

Reactions: Helen and Episkopos