The Very Liberal Bishop John Shelby "Jack" Spong

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the Lutheran Satire they tell of a Bishop John Shelby "Jack" Spong ,@00:20, a retired American bishop of the Episcopal Church... Who according to the video...

1. Is less Orthodox than a dead donkey
2. Really hates conservative Christianity
3. Frequently suggests that the Apostle Paul was gay
4. Deny's the virgin birth
5. And the incarnation
6. And the resurrection
7. And the ascension
8. And the very existence of a theistic God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKLkg-5sGY

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
rockytopva,

John Shelby Spong's false teaching has been around for quite a while. When he was here in Australia and I was living in our capital city of Canberra, I had an article published in The Canberra Times. Here is a copy on my homepage: The Gospel Distortion: A reply to John Shelby Spong

We've had these kinds of false teachers around for a long time. The early church had to deal with them. They'll be here until Jesus comes again and we'll need to constantly refute their views. This is the exhortation of Scripture:
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep (2 Peter 2:1-3 ESV).
I have attempted to address some of the further false teaching by Spong when he visited Australia on another occasion, John Shelby Spong & the Churches of Christ (Victoria, Australia). This is not the same denomination at the Church of Christ (USA) See also:
You should gain from this that I do not have a love for a bishop of the church who lost 40,000 people from the Newark, NJ diocese of the Episcopal Church when he was bishop and teaches such false doctrines.

Oz

OzSpen said:
rockytopva,

John Shelby Spong's false teaching has been around for quite a while. When he was here in Australia and I was living in our capital city of Canberra, I had an article published in The Canberra Times. Here is a copy on my homepage: The Gospel Distortion: A reply to John Shelby Spong

We've had these kinds of false teachers around for a long time. The early church had to deal with them. They'll be here until Jesus comes again and we'll need to constantly refute their views. This is the exhortation of Scripture:
I have attempted to address some of the further false teaching by Spong when he visited Australia on another occasion, John Shelby Spong & the Churches of Christ (Victoria, Australia). This is not the same denomination at the Church of Christ (USA) See also:
You should gain from this that I do not have a love for a bishop of the church who lost 40,000 people from the Newark, NJ diocese of the Episcopal Church when he was bishop and teaches such false doctrines.

Oz
I apologise for the last two links here. They seem to have blended with the first one to give the same URL. Here's hoping these are the correct links:

'Spong's deadly Christianity'

'Spong's swan song - at last'.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is a heretic. One of his books suggests a way to save Christianity by talking out the Theism.....

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
JimParker said:
Sounds like Spong needs a lot of prayer.
And a lot of exposing and refuting his false theology. However, he's not the first to promote these kinds of false doctrine. David F Strauss, Reimarus, Bultmann, the Jesus Seminar fellows, and others have promoted similar views. German liberal theology has promoted a lot of these anti-biblical, heretical views.

Most of the people who attend my church will not know these heretics, but when they read the popular press and listen to TV around Christmas and Easter, who do you think are trotted out to represent Christianity? It generally won't be R C Sproul, J I Packer, John MacArthur, Albert Mohler and Peter Jensen. It is likely to be Spong, John Dominic Crossan and other Jesus Seminar fellows.

N T Wright does get a bit of press Down Under, but it is minimal compared with the heretical droves.

Oz

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
OzSpen said:
And a lot of exposing and refuting his false theology. However, he's not the first to promote these kinds of false doctrine. David F Strauss, Reimarus, Bultmann, the Jesus Seminar fellows, and others have promoted similar views. German liberal theology has promoted a lot of these anti-biblical, heretical views.

Most of the people who attend my church will not know these heretics, but when they read the popular press and listen to TV around Christmas and Easter, who do you think are trotted out to represent Christianity? It generally won't be R C Sproul, J I Packer, John MacArthur, Albert Mohler and Peter Jensen. It is likely to be Spong, John Dominic Crossan and other Jesus Seminar fellows.

N T Wright does get a bit of press Down Under, but it is minimal compared with the heretical droves.

Oz
It seems to escape folks that the world renowned German theological scholarship, to which the seminaries bowed in worship, came to its crescendo with the rise of Adolf Hitler. Coincidence?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
JimParker said:
It seems to escape folks that the world renowned German theological scholarship, to which the seminaries bowed in worship, came to its crescendo with the rise of Adolf Hitler. Coincidence?
That's true.

But let's get back to the OP about John Shelby Spong. When he was bishop of the Episcopalian diocese of Newark NJ, the diocese lost 43% of its baptized members (Source). Theological liberalism kills Christianity.

This is part of my review of John Shelby Spong, A New Christianity for a New World: Why Traditional Faith Is Dying and How a New Faith Is Being Born. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 2001. See 'Spong's swan song - at last'.

This is a shocker! It is vintage Spong – extremely readable but heretical at its heart! He throws out core Christian beliefs such as the atonement (an “offensive idea”, p. 10) and the bodily resurrection of Christ, yet still wants to say: “I am a Christian. I believe that God is real. I call Jesus my Lord. Yet I do not define God as a supernatural being. I believe passionately in God. This God is not identified with doctrines, creeds, and traditions” (pp. 3, 64, 74).

He rejoices that “the blinding idolatry of traditional theism [read, supernatural Christianity] has finally departed from my life” (p. 74). More than that, he proclaims, “Theism is dead, I joyfully proclaim, but God is real” (p.77).

Spong’s version of God

But what kind of God is he or it? He admits that his God-experience is a “God-concept that I grope to find words to convey” (p. 76). He’s not the only one groping. Throughout the book’s 276 pages, I tried to understand what Spong’s God was like, but all I could conclude was that this mystical “God-experience” is filled with unique Spongian content.

For prayer, he proposes “substitute words” that have been identified down through the centuries “with the mystical disciplines of spiritual development—words such as meditation and contemplation” that will include “centering prayer” and breathing exercises (p. 193).

He’s against evangelism and missionary enterprises, the latter being “base-born, rejecting, negative, and yes, I would even say evil” (p. 178). This shocking redefinition of missions as “evil” is associated with his universalism and theory that “we possess neither certainty nor eternal truth” (p. 179).

What would cause him to come to conclusions that are so contrary to classical Christianity? He’s all for life and love because they “transcend all boundaries” but “exclusive religious propaganda can no longer be sustained. The idea that Jesus is the only way to God or that only those who have been washed in the blood of Christ are ever to be listed among the saved, has become anathema [a curse] and even dangerous in our shrinking world” (p. 179).

That is an example of what we are dealing with when we analyze the heresy of Spong's teaching.

Oz

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
OzSpen said:
That's true.

But let's get back to the OP about John Shelby Spong. When he was bishop of the Episcopalian diocese of Newark NJ, the diocese lost 43% of its baptized members (Source). Theological liberalism kills Christianity.

Oz
Anything that deviates from the teachings of the Apostles (who taught what they had learned from Christ who wrote nothing down for posterity) kills Christianity. There is a good reason that Moses was told not to add to or take anything away from the Law. Anything man adds or subtracts make the scripture man's word rather than God's word.

The church has a plague of people in leadership or highly visible positions who keep potential believers away by their baloney and drive believers into apostasy by their own apostasy and immorality. (My mother-in-law, when she was young, went to a church where it was known that the priest's nieces and nephews were his children by the housekeeper. And then he would hear confessions!)

Preach the truth but don't be surprised if, like John Wesley, you don't get asked back.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
On the Lutheran Satire they tell of a Bishop John Shelby "Jack" Spong ,@00:20, a retired American bishop of the Episcopal Church... Who according to the video...

1. Is less Orthodox than a dead donkey
2. Really hates conservative Christianity
3. Frequently suggests that the Apostle Paul was gay
4. Deny's the virgin birth
5. And the incarnation
6. And the resurrection
7. And the ascension
8. And the very existence of a theistic God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKLkg-5sGY
I've read a couple of Spong's books and the scholarship was a bit shoddy. Some of his ideas are just plain idiotic. He will build an argument that is fairly coherent from what he's read or studied and then you can actually see him jump into the mix himself and come to the most asinine conclusions. He does make a few good points here and there which almost make reading it worthwhile. To the careful reader, it can be amusing to watch him flounder away at these ideas. His book on John's gospel is worth checking out if you can find it in a thrift store. I picked my copy up at a book sale at the library; it was mixed into an apple box of books I picked up for $2.00. The books were all handpicked by me, and I needed to fill the box to make it worth my while so I grabbed it. Otherwise it isn't worth the money.

There really isn't much to like about the guy, but one thing he says that I think makes sense is that when reading the bible, instead of looking at it as from a literal historical perspective, to try looking at the themes, the literary devices, vocabulary etc. He gives one example that I found quite interesting. His purpose was probably malevolent, but I got something else out of it. He was trying to show that there was no historical evidence for Jesus' resurrection by showing that when Mary is told not to touch Jesus it is because it isn't really Jesus. It's this idea about Jesus, and who he really is. It's about seeing Jesus in others rather than being caught up in some historical figure. The thing that caught me was that there is something to this idea of seeing Jesus in our neighbor. If we were able to truly see the image of God in our neighbors, we'd be living in a far different world than we do today. Imagine some snotty salesman at the counter of some store giving you a hard time with some item you're returning and all you can see is the image of Christ in him. Some guy tosses some garbage out the window of his car, and instead of being disgusted you see Jesus instead.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Who has the authority to call Spong's teaching false or a false theology or a heresy? (OzSpen)

Or come right out and say that he is a heretic? (aspen)

Or to say that Spongs scholarship was a bit shoddy or his ideas are just plain idiotic. (schnarkle)

I can point out many current teachings that "deviates from the teachings of the Apostles" (JimParker). Does that mean Spong is wrong or the teachings that Tom55 points out as wrong deviates from the apostles.?

Who is to say that I OR you OR Spong is right? Maybe Spong is right, we are all wrong, and we just don't know it yet?

Sounds like you are all being judgmental. (Matthew 7:1)

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Who has the authority to call Spong's teaching false or a false theology or a heresy? (OzSpen)

Or come right out and say that he is a heretic? (aspen)
Spong himself. Here's what he says: "None of the actual apostles would have recognized it (the Apostles' Creed) as expressing their understanding of Jesus". He then states that the Nicene Creed is "convoluted". p. 4 Tales of a Jewish Mystic

He then claims that salvation or atonement theology "has collapsed under the onslaught of the expanding knowledge of the Western world". p.6 ibid. He includes Darwinian evolution as a major reason. He then denies the miracles of Christ by pointing to enigmatic words, unusual actions as mitigating "against these signs ever having been understood as literal events". p.13 ibid. His next task is "to pull creedal orthodoxy out of Christianity". p.18. ibid. He follows that up with this gem: "followers of Jesus today must learn how to live apart from Christianity...etc." p.18 He then refers to the birth narratives as "the stuff of fairy tales". p. 23 Jesus' genealogy is described as "clearly mythological". p.23

Or to say that Spongs scholarship was a bit shoddy or his ideas are just plain idiotic. (schnarkle)
One of Spong's premises is that John's gospel should not be read literally, he then proceeds to show that the geographical references in chapters 4,5, and 6 make more sense if the order of the chapters was 4,6, and 5. He does this by looking at the geographical references as literal. p.14 ibid.

He claims there "are about fifty generations between David and Joseph" p.23. There are 28. Then his argument builds as follows: "after fifty generations...if they had all survived, which of course they didn't, be in the billions. If they all returned to Bethlehem, as the story implies, there would obviously be no room in the inn!" p.23. This is supposed to be his argument as to why this story is obviously a fairy tale.

He then claims that Mary couldn't have endured the 90 mile donkey ride. Why? Because the women he knows are weak? He gives no reasons. He then claims that Mark's gospel couldn't have recorded Jesus' last words as his disciples had all fled. I guess the confession of the guard is of no consequence to Spong. "And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.". A convert's testimony doesn't count with Spong.

He then claims he is going to isolate the fourth gospel from the other three gospels, but then proceeds to do just the opposite. "There is in John no account of the miraculous or virgin birth. It is inconceivable to me that at least the last author or editor of John had not heard of this story, since it had been introduced into the Jesus tradition some ten to fifteen years earlier. So we have to wonder why there is no allusion to it. Not only is there no supernatural birth story in John's gospel, but on two occasions...Jesus is referred to in a rather matter-of-fact way as "the son of Joseph" p.26

So here again, he claims to isolate, but then turns to the synoptics themselves. He also violates his first claim to ignoring literalism as the gods aren't born. His use of "inconceivable" indicates that he actually doesn't even know he's utilizing a pun which actually points to the fact that an author who is portraying Jesus as God isn't going to present a birth narrative. Why? The gods aren't born. This is how idiotic this moron is.
The term son of God is used over a dozen times and yet Spong thinks these two examples of "the son of Joseph" are more noteworthy. He refers to Jesus' dialogues as "convoluted" p.27 In chapter 4 he states: "A literal approach to the reading of this book is worthy only of ridicule". He then makes this blatantly idiotic claim: "When we examine Mark closely we find that the one Passover is the climax of a series of Jewish Holy days and feast days". p.36 In point of fact, Passover isn't a feast day at all and occurs at the beginning of the Jewish calendar.

On page 40 Spong claims: "The gospel of John is a foreign book to anyone except a Jew". He then follows up that with this from page 44: "So much of that which we find in the Greek word logos was not as foreign to the meaning of dabar in Jewish thought as once was supposed". A contradiction to his previous statement.

He then makes this claim: "Human beings always create God in their own image and in an attempt to meet their own needs". One of Spong's most notorious claims is that the church perpetuates dogmatic assertions. Here Spong has introduced one of his own, presenting us with not only his own hypocrisy, but an incoherent dogmatic assertion at that. Only idolaters create gods in their own image; not all human beings are idolaters.

Here's another doozy: "There is probably not a single word in the Fourth Gospel that Jesus ever spoke". He cites as his defense of this claim, the "fellows at the Jesus Seminar" and their "monumental work The Five Gospels". This is a group of hacks that can't even be bothered to look at the manuscripts when coming to their conclusions.

He claims that there are no reputable scholars that believe the birth narratives are historical as "stars do not announce human births, nor do they wander across the sky so slowly that wise men can follow". p.80 Well, I'm no wise man, but even I can follow stars across the sky when I'm sailing across the ocean, and I wasn't the first one to figure this out.

He ridicules the literal assumptions of Nicodemus, and then turns right around and assumes the exact same position: "To be 'born of water' is simply to be born into the life of this world, a process achieved in the breaking of the maternal waters". p.90 These are the idiotic ramblings of someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

He then spends the next two pages pointing out that the mystical experience is all about "self consciousness"; "in the medium of time"; "to remember the past"; "anticipate the future", "to embrace finitude and mortality"; "to view...life from within the center of the self, to look out to the world from the perspective of one who is somehow separated and distinct from the world". The writings of countless mystics refute this nonsense. John's gospel refutes it as well. Self centeredness is the antithesis of the mystic experience.

I can point out many current teachings that "deviates from the teachings of the Apostles" (JimParker). Does that mean Spong is wrong or the teachings that Tom55 points out as wrong deviates from the apostles.?

Who is to say that I OR you OR Spong is right? Maybe Spong is right, we are all wrong, and we just don't know it yet?

Sounds like you are all being judgmental. (Matthew 7:1)
Is that your judgement? My claims are based exclusively upon the claims of Spong himself. He is a self proclaimed heretic and proud of it. His explicitly claimed purpose is to tear down the orthodoxy of historical Christianity. Perhaps you might want to look at what the guy actually says before you go assuming we don't know what we're talking about. If you believe in historical Christianity, and that the gospel narratives are presenting historical events then Spong thinks you are an idiot, and worthy of ridicule. You've put yourself out into an area where you're open to potshots from every angle imaginable.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
shnarkle said:
Spong himself. Here's what he says: "None of the actual apostles would have recognized it (the Apostles' Creed) as expressing their understanding of Jesus". He then states that the Nicene Creed is "convoluted". p. 4 Tales of a Jewish Mystic

He then claims that salvation or atonement theology "has collapsed under the onslaught of the expanding knowledge of the Western world". p.6 ibid. He includes Darwinian evolution as a major reason. He then denies the miracles of Christ by pointing to enigmatic words, unusual actions as mitigating "against these signs ever having been understood as literal events". p.13 ibid. His next task is "to pull creedal orthodoxy out of Christianity". p.18. ibid. He follows that up with this gem: "followers of Jesus today must learn how to live apart from Christianity...etc." p.18 He then refers to the birth narratives as "the stuff of fairy tales". p. 23 Jesus' genealogy is described as "clearly mythological". p.23

One of Spong's premises is that John's gospel should not be read literally, he then proceeds to show that the geographical references in chapters 4,5, and 6 make more sense if the order of the chapters was 4,6, and 5. He does this by looking at the geographical references as literal. p.14 ibid.

He claims there "are about fifty generations between David and Joseph" p.23. There are 28. Then his argument builds as follows: "after fifty generations...if they had all survived, which of course they didn't, be in the billions. If they all returned to Bethlehem, as the story implies, there would obviously be no room in the inn!" p.23. This is supposed to be his argument as to why this story is obviously a fairy tale.

He then claims that Mary couldn't have endured the 90 mile donkey ride. Why? Because the women he knows are weak? He gives no reasons. He then claims that Mark's gospel couldn't have recorded Jesus' last words as his disciples had all fled. I guess the confession of the guard is of no consequence to Spong. "And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.". A convert's testimony doesn't count with Spong.

He then claims he is going to isolate the fourth gospel from the other three gospels, but then proceeds to do just the opposite. "There is in John no account of the miraculous or virgin birth. It is inconceivable to me that at least the last author or editor of John had not heard of this story, since it had been introduced into the Jesus tradition some ten to fifteen years earlier. So we have to wonder why there is no allusion to it. Not only is there no supernatural birth story in John's gospel, but on two occasions...Jesus is referred to in a rather matter-of-fact way as "the son of Joseph" p.26

So here again, he claims to isolate, but then turns to the synoptics themselves. He also violates his first claim to ignoring literalism as the gods aren't born. His use of "inconceivable" indicates that he actually doesn't even know he's utilizing a pun which actually points to the fact that an author who is portraying Jesus as God isn't going to present a birth narrative. Why? The gods aren't born. This is how idiotic this moron is.
The term son of God is used over a dozen times and yet Spong thinks these two examples of "the son of Joseph" are more noteworthy. He refers to Jesus' dialogues as "convoluted" p.27 In chapter 4 he states: "A literal approach to the reading of this book is worthy only of ridicule". He then makes this blatantly idiotic claim: "When we examine Mark closely we find that the one Passover is the climax of a series of Jewish Holy days and feast days". p.36 In point of fact, Passover isn't a feast day at all and occurs at the beginning of the Jewish calendar.

On page 40 Spong claims: "The gospel of John is a foreign book to anyone except a Jew". He then follows up that with this from page 44: "So much of that which we find in the Greek word logos was not as foreign to the meaning of dabar in Jewish thought as once was supposed". A contradiction to his previous statement.

He then makes this claim: "Human beings always create God in their own image and in an attempt to meet their own needs". One of Spong's most notorious claims is that the church perpetuates dogmatic assertions. Here Spong has introduced one of his own, presenting us with not only his own hypocrisy, but an incoherent dogmatic assertion at that. Only idolaters create gods in their own image; not all human beings are idolaters.

Here's another doozy: "There is probably not a single word in the Fourth Gospel that Jesus ever spoke". He cites as his defense of this claim, the "fellows at the Jesus Seminar" and their "monumental work The Five Gospels". This is a group of hacks that can't even be bothered to look at the manuscripts when coming to their conclusions.

He claims that there are no reputable scholars that believe the birth narratives are historical as "stars do not announce human births, nor do they wander across the sky so slowly that wise men can follow". p.80 Well, I'm no wise man, but even I can follow stars across the sky when I'm sailing across the ocean, and I wasn't the first one to figure this out.

He ridicules the literal assumptions of Nicodemus, and then turns right around and assumes the exact same position: "To be 'born of water' is simply to be born into the life of this world, a process achieved in the breaking of the maternal waters". p.90 These are the idiotic ramblings of someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

He then spends the next two pages pointing out that the mystical experience is all about "self consciousness"; "in the medium of time"; "to remember the past"; "anticipate the future", "to embrace finitude and mortality"; "to view...life from within the center of the self, to look out to the world from the perspective of one who is somehow separated and distinct from the world". The writings of countless mystics refute this nonsense. John's gospel refutes it as well. Self centeredness is the antithesis of the mystic experience.

Is that your judgement? My claims are based exclusively upon the claims of Spong himself. He is a self proclaimed heretic and proud of it. His explicitly claimed purpose is to tear down the orthodoxy of historical Christianity. Perhaps you might want to look at what the guy actually says before you go assuming we don't know what we're talking about. If you believe in historical Christianity, and that the gospel narratives are presenting historical events then Spong thinks you are an idiot, and worthy of ridicule. You've put yourself out into an area where you're open to potshots from every angle imaginable.
I agree with you and any logical person with a good working knowledge of scripture and Christian history would conclude that Spong is a heretic.

But aren't the Mormons, Muslims, and Catholics called heretical also?

Who has the authority to call them heretical?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Spong is a Modernist. Modernism is the synthesis of all heresies.

The Bible warned us this would happen. Paul told his young protégé, Timothy, "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths" (2 Tim. 4:3–4).

Heresy is an emotionally loaded term that is often misused. It is not the same thing as incredulity, schism, apostasy, or other sins against faith.

To commit heresy, one must refuse to be corrected. A person who is ready to be corrected or who is unaware that what he has been saying is against Church teaching is not a heretic.

A person must be baptized to commit heresy. This means that movements that have split off from or been influenced by Christianity, but that do not practice baptism (or do not practice valid baptism), are not heresies, but separate religions. Examples include Muslims, who do not practice baptism, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, who do not practice valid baptism.

Finally, the doubt or denial involved in heresy must concern a matter that has been revealed by God and solemnly defined by the Church (for example, the Trinity, the Incarnation, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist...

It is important to distinguish heresy from schism and apostasy...

With this in mind, let’s look at some of the major heresies of Church history and when they began.
https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-great-heresies

Reactions: tom55

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
tom55 said:
I agree with you and any logical person with a good working knowledge of scripture and Christian history would conclude that Spong is a heretic.

But aren't the Mormons, Muslims, and Catholics called heretical also?

Who has the authority to call them heretical?
I just call them Mormons, Muslims and Catholics. The point with Spong is that is what he prefers to be called, i.e. a heretic. A heretical Christian.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
shnarkle said:
I just call them Mormons, Muslims and Catholics. The point with Spong is that is what he prefers to be called, i.e. a heretic. A heretical Christian.
Serious? :eek:

Interesting fellow then.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
JimParker said:
Far be it from me to be patriotic, but it seems to have escaped you that German theological scholarship as done in world renowned theological faculties such as Marburg, Tübingen, Münster, etc. is still held in high esteem among those who are into the academic study of theology. Also you seem to be unaware that these days most of Protestant German theology sees itself in the tradition of the “Confessing Church” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessing_Church).
But of course many ‘Bible-believing’ Christians here would still regard outspokenly antifascist theologians such as Jürgen Moltmann as heretics just for having pointed out that the virgin birth is not so much a question of gynaecology but a theme of Christian pneumatology.
Well, I suppose what’s heresy and what is not is very much in the eye of the beholder.