The Word of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Hi all!

I read a verse and something interesting struck me, which I just thought I would share and open discussion upon :)

1 Thessalonians 2:13 (ESV)
13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.
We so often call the Bible the word of God. And I agree with that; it is what God has spoken to his people. Only I find there is a tendency to then say that the Bible is ALL that the Lord has and will speak. This verse brings an interesting question.

It says that the word of God, which Paul brought, was heard by the people. When Paul preached, it was the word of God (as God spoke through him). The word of God, is it just what the Bible says? Hoe can it be if "faith comes by HEARING, and hearing by the word of God."? The word of the Lord is then spoken.

The Word is alive and sharp as a too edged sword, it also says.

I just think it's important to consider this. It's so easy to take our beliefs and box in what God says to what's written in our Bible. But the Lord speaks his word in many ways, including using men. His word is living and active!

Don't get me wrong, the Bible is a great tool and the Lord can speak to us through it, but for that he has to make it living. It is because he is speaking it to US. What he tells us will not be contradicted by the Bible, rather it will be confirmed by it. He opens our understanding that we might see!

God is at work NOW and desires to have us walk in the Spirit NOW! :) The Bible simply points to his life!

It's wonderful, isn't it? Praise God! :D

Just to make the subject clear (I looked it over and see that I'm not always straight to the point lol)...

The question I am raising is... What is the word of God?

And what I understand it to be is 'every word that procedes from God' (including, but not limited to, the Bible)

Blessings to all! :)

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

And what I understand it to be is 'every word that procedes from God' (including, but not limited to, the Bible)

Sounds like you're saying you want to add to our NT.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
That is not what I said. I am clarifying what the Word of God is.

I write this simply with the hope that we would come to see that we need the Lord's leading. We do not follow a book, but the living Christ Jesus. This book is a testimony of those who have gone before us to walk this path. It is great for teaching and through it the Lord can teach us much. But it is still him we must follow.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Our trust is not to be in a book, but in Christ.

[sup]2 Cor. 3:4[/sup] And we have such trust through Christ toward God. [sup]5[/sup] Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, [sup]6[/sup] who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit;[sup][a][/sup] for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life,

Hiroki

Aug 12, 2011
Interesting verse. As I have notice, the Spirit of God was working on Paul. This reminds me Bible verse 2 Timothy 3:16-17. In my opinion, all those who see the glory of God are all those who write the happening event that they saw but not the author of event. The author of the event in the Bible is God and those men like John are just the witness of God. In other words, all things that are planned will be accomplished. Praise God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Interesting verse. As I have notice, the Spirit of God was working on Paul. This reminds me Bible verse 2 Timothy 3:16-17. In my opinion, all those who see the glory of God are all those who write the happening event that they saw but not the author of event. The author of the event in the Bible is God and those men like John are just the witness of God. In other words, all things that are planned will be accomplished. Praise God.

Yes! God is the author, we are his witnesses and his vessels available for his work! Amen!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all!

I read a verse and something interesting struck me, which I just thought I would share and open discussion upon :)

1 Thessalonians 2:13 (ESV)
13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.
We so often call the Bible the word of God. And I agree with that; it is what God has spoken to his people. Only I find there is a tendency to then say that the Bible is ALL that the Lord has and will speak. This verse brings an interesting question.

It says that the word of God, which Paul brought, was heard by the people. When Paul preached, it was the word of God (as God spoke through him). The word of God, is it just what the Bible says? Hoe can it be if "faith comes by HEARING, and hearing by the word of God."? The word of the Lord is then spoken.

The Word is alive and sharp as a too edged sword, it also says.

I just think it's important to consider this. It's so easy to take our beliefs and box in what God says to what's written in our Bible. But the Lord speaks his word in many ways, including using men. His word is living and active!

Don't get me wrong, the Bible is a great tool and the Lord can speak to us through it, but for that he has to make it living. It is because he is speaking it to US. What he tells us will not be contradicted by the Bible, rather it will be confirmed by it. He opens our understanding that we might see!

God is at work NOW and desires to have us walk in the Spirit NOW! :) The Bible simply points to his life!

It's wonderful, isn't it? Praise God! :D

Just to make the subject clear (I looked it over and see that I'm not always straight to the point lol)...

By all means faith comes by hearing. By hearing who though? Romans 10:17 tells us that faith comes by hearing, but Romans 10:14 says hearing a preacher. It does not say hearing the word of God through parents or friends, though they can be of good help. How can you hear without a preacher?

Paul, a preacher, said to his understudy Timothy in 2 Tim 3:15-16 that all scripture is good for doctrine and teaching. He said in the second chapter to study to show thyself approved and be apt to rightly divide the word of God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Yes. It is the one that the Lord sends. The Lord is the one who gives life, and his life is with those that are one with him. When they preach, his life is available!

In all things, we must be led of the Spirit. All our studying is vain if we are not subject to the spirit of the Lord.