There is no spiritual gift called "the gift of tongues".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
There is, unfortunately, a rather common misconception among professing Christians, of a supposed spiritual gift called “the gift of tongues” in the church of the Lord Jesus Christ. When the truth of the Word of God is presented unto such people, many of them will shut their ears, cast the truth behind their backs, and judge themselves unworthy of everlasting life. Even as the Lord Jesus testified of the stiffnecked Jews in the days of his flesh saying that:

"...This people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."
— (Matthew 13:15).

The supposed “gift of tongues” only serves one purpose; and that is to cause confusion. Wherefore it is written in the scriptures:

"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God..."
— (1 Peter 4:11).

And again:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."
— (Proverbs 3:5).

Jesus Christ said:

"...If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
— (John 8:31-32).

It is also written:

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
— (Isaiah 8:20).

Having said this, the scriptures testify that:

"...When the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."
— (Acts 2:1-11).

This is what the Word of God says; that they began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. When this was noised abroad, the Jews who were out of many nations under heaven, heard these tongues and they understood them.

This is that which will happen when men and women receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. They will:

"...Speak with tongues, and magnify God..."
— (Acts 10:46).

And this is a sign which will follow those that believe! For it is written that Jesus Christ said:

"...These signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues..."
— (Mark 16:17).

And Peter said that the promise is:

"...Unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
— (Acts 2:39).

Friends, this is the gift of the Holy Ghost. Christ in you, the hope of glory. All christians have this gift. It is written:

"...Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
— (Romans 8:9).

Now, concerning spiritual gifts:

"...There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."
— (1 Corinthians 12:4-11).

We can see from the scripture that one of these spiritual gifts is a gift called divers kinds of tongues. It is followed with another spiritual gift called interpretation of tongues. Wherefore, there is no spiritual gift which causes Christians to speak with tongues called "the gift of tongues". But, there is a gift called divers kinds of tongues which causes some Christians to speak with diversities of tongues. Which means many different kinds of tongues, not just one. Though every Christian has the gift of the Holy Ghost (for if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his), not every Christian has the gift of divers kinds of tongues; or the gift of interpretation of tongues. This is why it is written in the scripture that God:

"...Hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?"
— (1 Corinthians 12:28-30).

But alas, some people subconsciously remove the words “divers kinds” which changes the definition of the entire gift; this is a dangerous thing indeed. We should be very careful with how we speak the Word of God. For it is written:

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."
— (Deuteronomy 4:2).

Furthermore, the same spiritual gifts are not given to everyone in the church. Because:

"...As the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: and those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: that there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it."
— (1 Corinthians 12:12-26).

When a man speaks with tongues, whether by the gift of the Holy Ghost or by the gift of diversities of tongues, he will not understand what he is uttering… Read more here:

Last edited:

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues are the Holy Spirit praying, speaking, or singing through you. “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,” (I Corinthians 14:14-15.) In other words, praying in tongues or praying in the Spirit is your spirit bypassing the limitations of your mind, enabling you to minister beyond your natural understanding.Aug 25, 2020

Try again .....Maybe the Swedish Bible skipped that verse ....

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, this we can agree on.
Verse 7 of 1Cor 12 explicitly states that all of those things listed in verses 8-10 are the manifestation (or evidence) of the gift of holy spirit which we were given at the new birth. Healing is worded as “gifts of healing” because every healing is a gift …but it is still a manifestation of the gift.

Unfortunately translators added the word gift in 12:1, 13:2, 14:1, &12 … which distorts the truth… they should be deleted.

The gift… is what we received at the new birth holy spirit, seed. The manifestation or evidence available to all born again believers are the 9 listed in 12: 8-10 …..that includes tongues which (to me) is the foundational manifestation because of the benefits of speaking in tongues.

Benefits of Speaking in Tongues

The primary purpose of tongues is designed for the individual believer in his/her private prayer life.

It edifies the believers and is a sign → when in a group meeting and the person speaking, also interprets.

1. To speak the wonderful works of God

Act 2:11
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

2. To magnify God

Act 10:46
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

3. To give thanks well

1Co 14:17
For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

4. To bring a message from God {when interpreted}

1Co 14:5& 27

5) except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

27) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let that one interpret.

5. Sign to the unbelievers
1Co 14:22, Mar 16:17

1Co 14
22) Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Mar 16
17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

6. To edify you, build you up.

1Co 14:4, Jude 20

1Co 14:4

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jde 20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the holy spirit.

7. To speak to God mysteries {divine secrets}

1Co 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

8. Makes intercession for us
Rom 8:26&27, Eph 6:18

Rom 8:26&27
26: Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27: And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

Eph 6:18
18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

9. Your proof in the senses world that you are born again.

1Co 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the holy spirit.

10. To have the spirit bear witness with our spirit – Similar to #9

Rom 8:16

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

11. To know you are a joint-heir with Christ.

Rom 8:17

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

12. To strengthen you with might in the inner man

Eph 3:16

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his spirit in the inner man;

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if that's what you (and telegra.ph) believe, that is wrong. Speaking in tongues is a gift from God, and I am one of many recipients of that gift.

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Tongues are the Holy Spirit praying, speaking, or singing through you. “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,” (I Corinthians 14:14-15.) In other words, praying in tongues or praying in the Spirit is your spirit bypassing the limitations of your mind, enabling you to minister beyond your natural understanding.Aug 25, 2020

Try again .....Maybe the Swedish Bible skipped that verse ....
Wisdom is justified of all her children. How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? And the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

• Haha
Reactions: David in NJ

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbiblical nonsense.

The source for this false teachings is a generic message board. You can "publish" anything and not have any responsibility and no trackable source.

1 Corinthians 14:1-40

Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not word for word passage that says "the gift of tongues" but it is Biblical ignorance to teach tongue speaking in foriegn language was not a gift.

Penetcostal's popularised their idea of "tongue speaking" in the 1900's in America.
This was and still is folks making incoherent noises with their vocal cords.
Scriptural tongue speaking was speaking in a language that was unlearned by the one who had been given this gift through the Holy Spirit.

1Corinthians 12 spiritual gifts given through the Holy Spirit,
Verse 7, 9, 10,
- but the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all
- to another faith by the same Spirit, to another   gifts of healings by the same Spirit
- to another the working of miracles to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues(the gift of tongue speaking)

But in the next chapter these miraculous gifts would end when the completed revelation of God(Holy Bible) had come. It has come it is completed.

1Corinthians 13:7-9,
- love never fails but whether there are prophecies they will fail(end)
- Whether there are  tongues they will cease(end)
- Whether there is knowledge(miraculous knowledge) it will vanish away(end)

- for we know in part(miraculous gifts)
And we prophesy in part(miraculous prophecy)
But when that which is perfect(completed revelation of God i.e. Holy Bible)
Then that which is in part(miraculous gifts) will be done away(end)

We now have the perfect(Bible) Therefore that which is in part(miraculous gifts like tongue speaking has been done away)

1Corinthians 14:27,
- If anyone speaks in a  tongue(gift of tongue speaking) let there be two or at the most three each in turn and let there be one interpreter.

Cornelius was given the gift of tongue speaking in Acts 10:44;45-46
- While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon those who heard the word
- and those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came Peter because the  gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the gentiles also,
- for they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God, then Peter answered

The Bible absolutely teaches the gift of tongue speaking!!!

The very first group of people who were imparted the gift of speaking in tongues were the apostles.
This is the very first group to perform this miracle in the new testament.
In the old testament Balaam's donkey also spoke in a language

Acts 2:3,7-9;11
- Then there appeared to them divided  tongues, as of fire and one sat upon the other.
- Then they were all amased and marveled saying to one another Look, are not all these who speak(in tongues) Galilaeans
- And how is it that we hear each other in our own language in which we were born
- Parthians, and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia
- we hear them them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God

The gift of tongue speaking is Biblical

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is, unfortunately, a rather common misconception among professing Christians, of a supposed spiritual gift called “the gift of tongues” in the church of the Lord Jesus Christ. When the truth of the Word of God is presented unto such people, many of them will shut their ears, cast the truth behind their backs, and judge themselves unworthy of everlasting life. Even as the Lord Jesus testified of the stiffnecked Jews in the days of his flesh saying that:

"...This people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."

The supposed “gift of tongues” only serves one purpose; and that is to cause confusion. Wherefore it is written in the scriptures:

And again:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

Jesus Christ said:

"...If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

It is also written:

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

"...When the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."

This is what the Word of God says; that they began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. When this was noised abroad, the Jews who were out of many nations under heaven, heard these tongues and they understood them.

This is that which will happen when men and women receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. They will:

And this is a sign which will follow those that believe! For it is written that Jesus Christ said:

"...These signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues..."

"...Unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

Friends, this is the gift of the Holy Ghost. Christ in you, the hope of glory. All christians have this gift. It is written:

"...There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

We can see from the scripture that one of these spiritual gifts is a gift called divers kinds of tongues. It is followed with another spiritual gift called interpretation of tongues. Wherefore, there is no spiritual gift which causes Christians to speak with tongues called "the gift of tongues". But, there is a gift called divers kinds of tongues which causes some Christians to speak with diversities of tongues. Which means many different kinds of tongues, not just one. Though every Christian has the gift of the Holy Ghost (for if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his), not every Christian has the gift of divers kinds of tongues; or the gift of interpretation of tongues. This is why it is written in the scripture that God:

"...Hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?"

But alas, some people subconsciously remove the words “divers kinds” which changes the definition of the entire gift; this is a dangerous thing indeed. We should be very careful with how we speak the Word of God. For it is written:

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

Furthermore, the same spiritual gifts are not given to everyone in the church. Because:

"...As the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: and those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: that there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it."

When a man speaks with tongues, whether by the gift of the Holy Ghost or by the gift of diversities of tongues, he will not understand what he is uttering… Read more here:

In Mark 16:16-18 is the SIGN of tongues for us to use individually TO God for prayer or praise. No interpretation listed

In 1 Corinthians 12 we have the GIFT of diverse kinds of tongues. That's the full name shortened to gift of tongues. WITH the gift of interpretation of tongues.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia

What a waste of Scripture quotes given in vain because of one's folly saying blindly, that there a no gifts of tongues?

First of all, have you studied in context 1 Corinthians chapter 12 to chapter 14, written to the church?

Apparently not, because chapter 12 and verse 10, mentions, by the same Holy Spirit, 'given to another divers kind of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:'

And, in chapter 13 and verse 1, Apostle Paul mentions what kind of tongues they are, 'tongues of men and tongues of angels.'

Finally, in chapter 14 and verse 27, Apostle Paul gives approval for the gift of tongues to be held in the congregation. Saying, 'If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two , or at most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.'

To conclude, the next verse 28 only states, 'But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to GOD.'

P.S. 'My brothers, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all, if any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.' (James3:1&2)

Reactions: David in NJ

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, which all present heard in their own dialects of the their language of birth, is... real.

But the gibberish which some speak today that is not heard as languages, is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost.

Hopefully, those who speak the gibberish tongue, and claim it is the 'cloven tongue', maybe if they are delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Christ speaking by The Holy Spirit, maybe then their gibberish will become manifest as what those at Pentecost heard. But until then, Acts 2 evidence is our MEASURE for identifying the cloven tongue.

What really is the cloven tongue?

Zeph 3:8-9
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.

For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.
KJV

Prior to the tower of Babel event in the Old Testament, all peoples spoke one tongue. God confused the one tongue into many languages, and the peoples were divided. The above Zephaniah 3:9 verse is suggesting God is going to return all peoples back to that one tongue after Christ's future return.

The time of that, "fire of My jealousy" upon this earth is what Apostle Peter foretold about the "day of the Lord", the last day of this present world (2 Peter 3:10). That is the day of Jesus' future return.

If one goes into the Greek of Acts 2 for each phrase that mentions the tongue or language, the outline looks like this:

a. Greek glossa (means known languages of the world)
a. glossa
....b. dialektos (where our English word dialect comes from)
....b. dialektos
a. glossa
a. glossa

That above outline in the Acts 2 Scripture confirms beyond all... doubt, exactly what was spoken by the Apostles on Pentecost. The Apostles were probably hearing themselves speaking their own natural language, but it went out to the multitudes in each persons 'dialect' of their own language of birth. God knows how we speak and hear.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
But the gibberish which some speak today that is not heard as languages, is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost.
Would you like to explain what you mean by gibberish, and is there supporting Scripture?

Indeed, it's not a language heard of here on earth, because they are Heavenly tongues of angels. (1Corinthians13:1)

Probably, they are the true tongues of angels, but these churches are conducting this gift as workers of iniquity/lawlessness, violating the Word of GOD. (1Corinthians chapter12)

Apparently, is true it is not the tongues imparted in the day of Pentecost. The one imparted in the day of Pentecost, the tongues of men, is to fulfill the commission of the Lord given to His chosen disciples, 'to make disciple of all nation'.

The one imparted to the church, the gathering of saints, are the tongues of angels, 'for the edification of the body of every believer'., besides the equal gift of prophesying.

Reactions: The Learner

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you like to explain what you mean by gibberish, and is there supporting Scripture?

Indeed, it's not a language heard of here on earth, because they are Heavenly tongues of angels. (1Corinthians13:1)

Probably, they are the true tongues of angels, but these churches are conducting this gift as workers of iniquity/lawlessness, violating the Word of GOD. (1Corinthians chapter12)

Apparently, is true it is not the tongues imparted in the day of Pentecost. The one imparted in the day of Pentecost, the tongues of men, is to fulfill the commission of the Lord given to His chosen disciples, 'to make disciple of all nation'.

The one imparted to the church, the gathering of saints, are the tongues of angels, 'for the edification of the body of every believer'., besides the equal gift of prophesying.
You are being misled.

Those who speak the claimed 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, does EVERYONE PRESENT hear in their OWN DIALECT OF LANGUAGE OF BIRTH? That's an easy to understand question.

And the answer is NO. If it ain't... understood by ALL present, then it is NOT the true cloven tongue of Pentecost per Acts 2.

Acts 2 is the MEASURE of how to recognize the TRUE CLOVEN TONGUE. A preacher or church system is NOT the true measure of what it is.

If you don't agree with that, then go, stay deceived, and believe what the 'spirits' want to feed you through a fake tongue that does not align with how the true cloven tongue was heard on Pentecost per Acts 2.

• Haha

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The one imparted to the church, the gathering of saints, are the tongues of angels,
'for the edification of the body of every believer'., besides the equal gift of prophesying.

I will reveal your error of thinking, which ideas are actually outside... the actual Acts 2 Scripture.

Fred J said:
1. "... it's not a language heard of here on earth, because they are Heavenly tongues of angels."

ANS: In 1 Cor.12:28 with "diversities of tongues", Apostle Paul was talking about known languages of the world. The true cloven tongue of Pentecost is only about a 'particular tongue' which goes out... as many languages of the world. It is not really a 'mystery tongue' either, because it is about the one tongue that all nations spoke prior to the Babel event of Genesis 11.

2. Fred J said:
"Probably, they are the true tongues of angels,..."

ANS: Paul was only giving a hypothetical example in 1 Cor.13:1 when pointing to an idea like, "... speak with the tongues of men and of angels." He was simply comparing having the ability involving all mysteries would mean nothing if one does not have charity (love). He is not declaring there is such a thing as "tongues of angels".

3. Fred J said:
"The one imparted in the day of Pentecost, the tongues of men, is to fulfill the commission of the Lord given to His chosen disciples, 'to make disciple of all nation'."

ANS: You are still trying to compare the 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost with an assumed... angelic tongue which God's Word does not link to. Once again, go back to Genesis 10 & 11 and study about the one tongue all nations once spoke, and then see Zephaniah 3 where God said He will in the future return all peoples back to speaking that one tongue so that all peoples may call on Him with one consent (i.e., accord).

The main event, or purpose, for the cloven tongue of Pentecost will be at the very END of this world when some of Christ's elect will be delivered up at the end of the "great tribulation", and they will speak that 'cloven tongue' by The Holy Spirit... to the whole... world, giving a Testimony for Christ against the beast. Jesus told you about that for the end in the Mark 13 Chapter. When Apostle Peter, on Pentecost, quoted from Joel 2, the manifesting of the 'cloven tongue' for the time of "great tribulation" at the end is what that is about.

When that prophesied event at the END of this world happens, with some of Christ's elect delivered up to give that Testimony against the beast, with God speaking through them using the 'cloven tongue', it is going to really tick off Satan and his host, and THAT... is when he will determine to destroy ALL of God's people off this earth, once and for all. THAT... is when the armies out of the northern quarters of Ezekiel 38 will come upon BOTH Israels, the Israel (ten tribes) in the West, and the Israel (Judah, Jews) in the middle east, and Christ will step in to stop it with His army of Rev.19.

• Wow

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
You are being misled.

Those who speak the claimed 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, does EVERYONE PRESENT hear in their OWN DIALECT OF LANGUAGE OF BIRTH? That's an easy to understand question.

And the answer is NO. If it ain't... understood by ALL present, then it is NOT the true cloven tongue of Pentecost per Acts 2.

Acts 2 is the MEASURE of how to recognize the TRUE CLOVEN TONGUE. A preacher or church system is NOT the true measure of what it is.

If you don't agree with that, then go, stay deceived, and believe what the 'spirits' want to feed you through a fake tongue that does not align with how the true cloven tongue was heard on Pentecost per Acts 2.
Am not being misled nor am staying deceived, least you should be wise in your own conceit and misjudge immaturely.

The tongues that fell on the 12 disciples in the day of Pentecost, were the tongues of men. As the Gospel was proclaimed from the upper room terrace. Those who heard these Galileans, heard them ministering the Gospel in their own mother tongue. The others who did not understand these tongues, thought they were drunk at the early hours of the day. And them continuing, around 3,000 of them were saved that day.

The tongues that were spoken of in 1Corinthians chapter 14, are the Heavenly tongues of angels, who worship GOD day and night in Heaven. This tongues are not for proclaiming nor teaching the Gospel, but rather inline with the other gift, 'prophesying', in the gathering of saints. These are for interceding in the spirit with GOD in Heaven, from earth. This gift of tongues with interpretation, is for the edification of the bodies of believers/church. Where at the end when every one understand in the commoner language interpreted, together they can declare, 'Amen'.

That's why Apostle Paul stated that, those who speak in these tongues, without interpretation, are to remain in silent utterance, between them and GOD. Those who utter these tongues with interpretation, should do it 3 person at a time, while the others take turns. He himself claim to be able to speak in divers of tongues more fluent than others.

1Corinthians chapter13; He says what's the point of possessing all these gifts of the Spirit, yet have no charity. 1Corinthians chapter14; 'Follow after charity and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.' Use these gifts in charity, not for one's gain alone, but for all in church to gain. For there are 2 best gifts could be used in charity that everyone in church will gain. Wherefore, tongues of angels with interpretation interceding with GOD, 'edifies' the church, and prophesying 'builds up' the church.

If you can't distinguish between both, then i rest my case, tq

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am not being misled nor am staying deceived, least you should be wise in your own conceit and misjudge immaturely.

The tongues that fell on the 12 disciples in the day of Pentecost, were the tongues of men. As the Gospel was proclaimed from the upper room terrace. Those who heard these Galileans, heard them ministering the Gospel in their own mother tongue. The others who did not understand these tongues, thought they were drunk at the early hours of the day. And them continuing, around 3,000 of them were saved that day.
Wrong.
Everyone... present heard the Apostles speak in their own dialects of languages of birth. The drunk reference was NOT in response to hearing gibberish like you are TRYING to insinuate.

Acts 2:6-11
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded,
because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians,
we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
KJV

So much for your telling lies against that Acts 2 Bible Scripture.

• Love

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And again:

Jesus Christ said:

It is also written:

Heed what bluedragon wrote in post #2 for that is the biblical answer.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And again:

Jesus Christ said:

It is also written:

I think you are entitled to believe that.

I would advise you don't presume for Christians what is not of or from God and his gifts.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heed what bluedragon wrote in post #2 for that is the biblical answer.
Nah... true Christians don't need no twisting of the Scriptures by those trying to support their 'gibberish' speech they claim is of The Holy Spirit. The actual ACTS 2 Scripture is plain enough of what was actually spoken on Pentecost...

Acts 2:6-11
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.