There is no spiritual gift called "the gift of tongues".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"...These signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues..."
Presently we shall mention by name some of the twenty sects or religious leaders which we have in mind. In the religious program of these twenty “churches” we find that they teach and practice

1—Christians should eat no pork.
2—Christians should keep Israel’s seventh day Sabbath.
3—Christians should wash one another’s feet.
4—Christians should not wear jewelry.
5—Christians should sell their property and put the money in a common treasury
6—Christians should not pay a pastor a stipulated salary.
7—Preachers should go out two by two.
8—Preachers should not have any money in their purses.
9—Christians should cast out demons.
10—Christians should raise the dead.
11—Christians should heal the lepers.
12—Christians should lay hands on the sick and thus restore health.
13—Christians should anoint the sick with oil.
14—Christians should bless aprons and handkerchiefs and cure the sick by putting them on their bodies.
15—Christians should have visions and dream dreams.
16—Christians should not be injured by the poison from serpents.
17—Christians should speak with tongues and other Christians should be able to interpret.
18—Christians should have the gift of discerning of spirits.
19—Christians should cut off their offending hands and pluck out their offending eyes.
20—Christians should lend money to any one who would borrow and not expect the return of the loan.
21—Christians should take a gift to the priest when they are healed.
22—Christians should have miraculous jail deliverances.
23—Christians receive no more forgiveness from God than others receive from these same Christians.
24—The meek shall inherit the earth.
25—Christians should do greater works than Christ did.
26—Christians should give up their cloaks also when sued for their coats.
27—Christians should not have two coats.
28—Christians should be circumcised.
29—Christians should practice the imposition of hands.
30—Believers should be baptized with water for the remission of sins.

I will provide the link for you to read-

Be richly blessed in Messiah.

J.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If a so-called "pastor", which is an elder according to scripture, not a minister or preacher, went to Nepal to teach about the spiritual gifts rather than saving souls, it simply confirms the fact that this modern-day tongue speaking movement is NOT of God. And I would bet that this so-called pastor doesn't even know how a person's soul is saved according to the bible, and it ain't by speaking in tongues or by any other of the long dead manifestations of the Spirit (gifts). These people are so fixated on nonsense that they have not lost their way, but never really found it to begin with.

DJT_47, you are making assumptions and conclusions on very flimsy evidence which I have not provided in my two posts.

Now I agree that the ability to speak in "tongues" does not prove whether or not a person has salvation. The signs of a person's salvation are the fruit of the "Christian's" works that they do. However, to argue that God is not working through the Gifts of the Spirit today is fraught with danger. Speaking in tongues is one of those gifts that a person may receive from God, when they enter into a one on one relationship with God. The spiritual gifts of hospitality or generosity or intercession are not as obvious for others to see, but they are certainly functioning in today's Church to bring Glory to God.

Now sadly many people desire the gifts of the spirit in their impatience to be able to show their "relationship" with God to others. Others, sadly like you, want to argue that the gifts of the spirit no longer exist because they have not received a particular gift of the spirit where speaking in tongues is just one of the many spiritual gifts that we can receive.

For me I am more interested in pressing into God and His purposes for my life and the "Spiritual Roles" that He has me doing are not always welcomed by others who belong within the "churches," I may frequent.

Sometimes the gift of speaking in tongues is best left hidden by the people who may have this gift, because of the attitude of the other people within the church because the spiritual gift of interpretation is not functioning within that body of people.

For a healthy church, all of God's Gifts of the Spirit are needed to be operating so that all of God's Glory can be seen manifested within that Church.

Shalom

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The FACT is, all the spiritual gifts have ceased according to scripture

You put in FACT when you meant to put in FANTASY... God is still moving with Spiritual gift among His true believers.

He's obviously NOT moving in your life for obvious reasons.

1 Corinthians 13:8
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Only when that which is PERFECT is come... will the Lord not need to move among His people with Spiritual gift... look around homie! We not in perfection yet.

They have a bible version just for people that cherry pick...

cherry_pickers_bible.gif

Reactions: amadeus

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is a cute answer for something believed that isn't supported by scripture. The FACT is, all the spiritual gifts have ceased according to scripture and cute answers won't validate that which is wrong.

1 Cor 13:8

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Let us see if this verse is true within the context it is found within. I suspect that the translation of just his verse should read as: -

8 Love never fails. If, however, {love fails} and there are prophecies, they will fail; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

Let us look at the context of the passage this verse is found in: -

1 Cor 13: -

The Greatest Gift

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body [a]to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. If, however, {love fails} and there are prophecies, they will fail; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

If we take a verse out of the passage it is found in, then the context of that verse is lost.

Also, the KJV is not the best version on which to rely.

Shalom

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a true statement not against God but only against those that believe otherwise who's false beliefs are not supported by scripture nor does your reference to Malachi have any relevance.

That is such a sad testimony...that you apparently know no gift of Christ's being in you that you should call it nonexistent. Sad indeed. :(

But that is just your sad testimony of unbelief, and although you may not be alone, even so "we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses" it cannot, and will not be contained.

Reactions: amadeus

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Wrong.
Everyone... present heard the Apostles speak in their own dialects of languages of birth. The drunk reference was NOT in response to hearing gibberish like you are TRYING to insinuate.

Acts 2:6-11
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded,
because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians,
we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
KJV

So much for your telling lies against that Acts 2 Bible Scripture.
Please dwell in your shortsighted dilemma and being wise in your own conceit. Apparently we've nothing in common, will only be going back and forth in vain, no thank you.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
The speaking in tongues in the NT was speaking foreign languages. Not gibberish.
Can you prove is the same tongue spoken of in, 1 Corinthians chapter 14 ??

They are not gibberish, but have meaning. that's why they are to be interpreted to the common language in a gathering. They are angelic tongues making intercession between saints/church and GOD, not individual.

The ones we witness certain churches all together, not two or three at a time, utter and without interpretation, is indeed gibberish. These are workers of iniquity/lawlessness, Jesus will declare them to depart.

The other foreign languages gifted is to proclaim the Gospel out there and make disciple of all nation, read the context of Acts chapter 2.

Thank you

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is such a sad testimony...that you apparently know no gift of Christ's being in you that you should call it nonexistent. Sad indeed. :(

But that is just your sad testimony of unbelief, and although you may not be alone, even so "we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses" it cannot, and will not be contained.
Once again you show your lack of scriptural understanding and woukd rather hold fast to and double down on it and error thats inherent in it.

The gift IS the Spirit itself, not a manifestation of it (one of its gifts), and you receive the actual Spirit upon being baptized into Christ. Notice the below scripture says exactly that.

Acts2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. They weren't the babbling, gibberish, nonsense you hear today, they were tongues of other earthly languages that no longer are being manifested today by the Spirit nor are necessary as they were back then.
We cannot say the 'true' cloven tongue does not manifest today still, because I have heard of situations of pastors in another country where their translator did not show up, so the pastor simply spoke to the people in his own language, but the people heard in 'their' language.

And especially, at the very END of this world, the true cloven tongue is to manifest to ALL the world via The Holy Spirit, through God's two witnesses and the two candlesticks (Churches). Mark 13 covers that event about some of us being delivered up at the end.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cannot say the 'true' cloven tongue does not manifest today still, because I have heard of situations of pastors in another country where their translator did not show up, so the pastor simply spoke to the people in his own language, but the people heard in 'their' language.

And especially, at the very END of this world, the true cloven tongue is to manifest to ALL the world via The Holy Spirit, through God's two witnesses and the two candlesticks (Churches). Mark 13 covers that event about some of us being delivered up at the end.
Yes we can.1 cor 13:8.

Also, the manifestation of the Spirit resulted by the laying on of the apostle's hands. They're gone too.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please dwell in your shortsighted dilemma and being wise in your own conceit. Apparently we've nothing in common, will only be going back and forth in vain, no thank you.
That's a bad... example of trying... to quote Apostle Paul. The idea of the believer that is in conceit Paul spoke of is about those who refuse to believe that unbelieving Jews will convert to Christ in final, per Romans 11.

And if you think I'm the one that is "shortsighted", then you need to prove per Acts 2 that those who heard the Apostles speak the cloven tongue on Pentecost didn't understand it. So either do that, or hush up your falseness.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we can.1 cor 13:8.

Also, the manifestation of the Spirit resulted by the laying on of the apostle's hands. They're gone too.

That is not for today. That is for the world to come. In the future world is when those things will pass away. Instead of listening to your deceived preacher, you should simply read the Scripture for yourself, and think. Has "knowledge" already passed away today? Have "prophecies" already passed away today? Have "tongues" (languages per the Greek) already passed away today? No, to all those things, not yet.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
KJV

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost, which all present heard in their own dialects of the their language of birth, is... real.

But the gibberish which some speak today that is not heard as languages, is not the true cloven tongue of Pentecost.

Hopefully, those who speak the gibberish tongue, and claim it is the 'cloven tongue', maybe if they are delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Christ speaking by The Holy Spirit, maybe then their gibberish will become manifest as what those at Pentecost heard. But until then, Acts 2 evidence is our MEASURE for identifying the cloven tongue.

What really is the cloven tongue?

Zeph 3:8-9
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.

For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve Him with one consent.
KJV

Prior to the tower of Babel event in the Old Testament, all peoples spoke one tongue. God confused the one tongue into many languages, and the peoples were divided. The above Zephaniah 3:9 verse is suggesting God is going to return all peoples back to that one tongue after Christ's future return.

The time of that, "fire of My jealousy" upon this earth is what Apostle Peter foretold about the "day of the Lord", the last day of this present world (2 Peter 3:10). That is the day of Jesus' future return.

If one goes into the Greek of Acts 2 for each phrase that mentions the tongue or language, the outline looks like this:

a. Greek glossa (means known languages of the world)
a. glossa
....b. dialektos (where our English word dialect comes from)
....b. dialektos
a. glossa
a. glossa

That above outline in the Acts 2 Scripture confirms beyond all... doubt, exactly what was spoken by the Apostles on Pentecost. The Apostles were probably hearing themselves speaking their own natural language, but it went out to the multitudes in each persons 'dialect' of their own language of birth. God knows how we speak and hear.
Very good explanation, as even in Spanish we cant understand some of the dialects, language can be difficult and having this gift to be able to communicate was a real need at this point...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not for today. That is for the world to come. In the future world is when those things will pass away. Instead of listening to your deceived preacher, you should simply read the Scripture for yourself, and think. Has "knowledge" already passed away today? Have "prophecies" already passed away today? Have "tongues" (languages per the Greek) already passed away today? No, to all those things, not yet.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
KJV
Yes. All the miraculous manifestations of the Spirit have ceased, i.e.; prophesy, tongues, etc. All those things (gifts) listed in 1Cor 12:8-10

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those without the gift of tongues... didn't get the gift or ears either! disagree.gif

They didn't hear what Jesus said about it...

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes. All the miraculous manifestations of the Spirit have ceased, i.e.; prophesy, tongues, etc. All those things (gifts) listed in 1Cor 12:8-10

In Post #45 above, I presented the case as to why your understanding of 1 Cor 13:8 is in error.

It requires that we understand the Greek constructs in chapter 13 before we begin to make a theology from just one verse wrongly translated.

Perhaps verse 8 is a repeat of verses 1 and 2 in the same chapter: -

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body [a]to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

We really need to study the Greek text and its grammar.

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
That's a bad... example of trying... to quote Apostle Paul. The idea of the believer that is in conceit Paul spoke of is about those who refuse to believe that unbelieving Jews will convert to Christ in final, per Romans 11.

And if you think I'm the one that is "shortsighted", then you need to prove per Acts 2 that those who heard the Apostles speak the cloven tongue on Pentecost didn't understand it. So either do that, or hush up your falseness.
Highlight my falseness.

Status
Not open for further replies.