There is no spiritual gift called "the gift of tongues".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 110:1-- The utterance of Yhvh to my Lord( Jesus) is, sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.--Quoted at Matt 22:44--proving Jesus is not YHVH.
This has to do with his position as the Messiah, not his nature.

Psalm 110

Easy-to-Read Version

A praise song of David.​

110 The Lord said to my lord,[a]
“Sit at my right side, while I put your enemies under your control.”
2 The Lord will cause your kingdom to grow, beginning at Zion,
until you rule the lands of your enemies!
3 Your people will gladly join you
when you gather your army together.
You will wear your special clothes
and meet together early in the morning.
Your young men will be all around you
like dew on the ground.[b]
4 The Lord has made a promise with an oath
and will not change his mind:
“You are a priest forever—
the kind of priest Melchizedek was.”
5 My Lord is at your right side.
He will defeat the other kings when he becomes angry.
6 He will judge the nations.
The ground will be covered with dead bodies.
He will punish the leaders of powerful nations all around the world.
7 The king will drink from a stream on the way.
Then he will lift his head and become strong![

Matthew 22:41-46

Easy-to-Read Version

Is the Messiah David’s Son or David’s Lord?​

41 So while the Pharisees were together, Jesus asked them a question. 42 He said, “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”
The Pharisees answered, “The Messiah is the Son of David.”
43 Jesus said to them, “Then why did David call him ‘Lord’? David was speaking by the power of the Spirit. He said,
44 ‘The Lord God said to my Lord:
Sit by me at my right side,
and I will put your enemies under your control.[a]’
45 David calls the Messiah ‘Lord.’ So how can he be David’s son?”
46 None of the Pharisees could answer Jesus’ question. And after that day, no one was brave enough to ask him any more questions.

Context Matters!!!!1708481684950.png

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I loved the accordion one. - LOL

I had a dream last night that I went to heaven.
(that's how I knew it was a dream)
Surprisingly, they put me right to work.
There I was at a picnic attending an outdoor grill flipping burgers.

To my amazement, Jesus approached my grill with his plate in hand.
A bit nervously, I asked, "How do you like your burger?"
He gave me a quizzical look and smiled when he said,
"Well done, my good and faithful servant."

/

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I loved the accordion one. - LOL

I had a dream last night that I went to heaven.
(that's how I knew it was a dream)
Surprisingly, they put me right to work.
There I was at a picnic attending an outdoor grill flipping burgers.

To my amazement, Jesus approached my grill with his plate in hand.
A bit nervously, I asked, "How do you like your burger?"
He gave me a quizzical look and smiled when he said,
"Well done, my good and faithful servant."

/
1708526644031.png I guess Peter had a broom in his hands.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the apostles are anointed.
On the 144,000 They are fulture, peter is married and past, thus he is not of that group. And, neither is anyone before the fulture events.

"
However, every believer is anointed when they get born again. God comes and makes His home on the inside of us. The scripture says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.”
(II Corinthians 5:17-18 NKJ)

But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. (I John 2:20 & 27 NKJ)"

"There is also a sense in which Christians today are anointed. Through Jesus Christ, believers receive “an anointing from the Holy One” (1 John 2:20). This anointing is not expressed in an outward ceremony but through sharing in the gift of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:11). At the moment of salvation, believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and joined to Christ, the Anointed One. As a result, we partake of His anointing (2 Corinthians 1:21–22). According to one scholar, this anointing “expresses the sanctifying influences of the Holy Spirit upon Christians who are priests and kings unto God” (Smith, W., “Anointing,” Smith’s Bible Dictionary, revised ed., Thomas Nelson, 2004).

“As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you” (1 John 2:27; see also 2 Timothy 1:14).

Rather than chase after a new anointing, believers should remember they already have the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is not given in part, He does not come in portions or doses, and He is not taken away. We have the promise that “his divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Peter 1:3)."

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:20~ But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.

And a few verses later…

1 John 2:27~ But the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
The context of 1 John makes it clear that this “anointing” that “teaches us” what is “true” is the Holy Spirit, because the Spirit is the one who testifies to “truth” (4:6 and 5:6) and it is the “Spirit” who enables us to confess true faith in Jesus (1 John 4:2).

Who is Anointed?

Some Christian teaching might not give you this impression, but all believers have been “anointed” by God.

The only place chrio refers to Jesus’ followers (see above regarding Jesus) is in 2 Corinthians 1:21, where Paul says that God “anointed us” as he “gave us his Spirit in our hearts” (v. 22).

Crucially, Paul here implies that every believer has been anointed by God. And elsewhere, Paul explicitly states that all believers “are temples of the Holy Spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:19).

Likewise, John affirms that all believers
have “the anointing” (see 1 John 2:20 and 27, above), who is the Spirit, and that God abides in all believers by the Spirit (1 John 3:24 and 4:13).

Again, the reality is—at least according to the Bible—God has “anointed” all believers with the Holy Spirit. And “the anointing” God gives us is the Holy Spirit. There is no anointing distinct from this.

This does not mean that the Spirit works the same way in every Christian’s life—no. For example, there are (sort of) different gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:4) and the Spirit “distributes them to each one, just as he determines” (12:11). At the same time, the spiritual gifts are not different “anointings”—again, the anointing is the Holy Spirit.

1. The Bible only speaks of followers of Christ being anointed by God in 3 verses.
  2. The anointing is not a feeling, a spiritual energy, or a gift—it is nothing other than the Holy Spirit.
  3. There are not different kinds of anointings—the only anointing is the Holy Spirit—but the Spirit might work in your life in different ways at different times.
  4. The biblical emphasis is that all Christians have already been anointed by God.
  5. The Bible never says the anointing falls on anyone or that God might anoint you more than once, though these ideas are not entirely inconsistent with the Bible.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone is this article correct???

"
The fact of the matter is, though, the Spirit is even in non-Christians.

1. The Spirit Gives Life

Obviously, since the Spirit is divine, the Spirit is omnipresent. As the apostle Paul wrote, God is “over all, and through all and in all” (Ephesians 4:6), and God “fills everything in every way” (Ephesians 1:23).

The Spirit is present throughout all of creation giving life and breath to every human being. The Bible says that “every creature … has the breath/ruach/Spirit of life in it” (Genesis 6:17) and that God “gives breath/ruach/Spirit…and life” to all people (Isaiah 42:5).

On account of this, if God “withdrew his ruach/Spirit and breath, all people would perish together and would return to the dust” (Job 34:14-15; also Psalm 104:29-30).

As Wilf Hildebrandt observes (another Pentecostal Prof), the Bible presents “the Spirit of God as the animating principle of life …When the Spirit is removed from a human being the body returns to its lifeless, inanimate state.”[1]

2. The Spirit Leads and Guides All People

Of course, the Spirit draws unbelievers to Christ, but the Spirit does much more than this.

This thought might make you feel uncomfortable, but the Church has always had a doctrine of common grace, which affirms just this. The problem (for some) is that when we move from a generic term like “grace” and put the name “Holy Spirit” on it, it becomes more real.

How do we know where and how the Spirit is at work among non-Christians? The difficulty of answering this question might seem to suggest that the Spirit isn’t at work in unbelievers.

But the question would be just as difficult to answer if we were talking about Christians.

Wherever the character of Christ is present, there the Spirit is at work. Even more broadly, wherever we see actions that are consistent with the ways that the Spirit works throughout the Scripture, there the Spirit is at work.

So, if my non-Christian neighbor brings me a casserole when my dog dies (I don’t have a dog ), I would thank God for working by the Spirit through my neighbor. I also see the Spirit at work inspiring great creativity in works of art and music.

3. The Holy Spirit Reconciles People

I also appreciate the guidance of the Latino theologian José Comblin: “The signs of the action of the Spirit in the world are clear: the Spirit is present wherever the poor are awakening to action, to freedom, to speaking out, to community, to life.”[2]

This makes me think that as messy as the whole process is, the Spirit is at work in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation movement (concerning the relationships of Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians), similar to how the Spirit was uniting black and white Christians at the Azusa Street Revival (1906) and the “Memphis Miracle” (1994).

Some people may want to limit the Spirit to the Church, but I prefer what Jesus had to say: “The pneuma/Spirit/wind blows wherever it pleases” (John 3.8). As a result, I affirm that “every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights” (James 1:17).

The Spirit’s work may indeed be ambiguous in the world, not often being recognized by those in whom or around whom he works, but his work is also ambiguous in the Church” (Hendrikus Berkhof).[3]

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

WHAT IS THE ANOINTING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?​

The Holy Spirit and Us – Question 13
The Bible speaks of the “anointing” of the Holy Spirit. What does this mean? Who has been “anointed” with the Spirit? The Bible has the following things to say.

John Said All Believers Have Been Anointed with the Holy Spirit​

The Apostle John told his readers that they all had been anointed with the Holy Spirit. He explained it in this way.
But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything–and is true and is no lie, just as it has taught you–abide in him (1 John 2:20, 27 ESV).
Those who have believed in Jesus Christ have received this anointing.

Paul Refers to the Anointing of the Holy Spirit​

The only other reference in the New Testament to the anointing of the Spirit for the believer is found in the writings of the Apostle Paul. He wrote the following to the Corinthians.
And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us (2 Corinthians 1:21 ESV).
Paul wrote that each believer had received the anointing of the Spirit.

Jesus Himself Was Anointed with the Holy Spirit​

We also find that Jesus Himself was anointed with the Spirit. When He began His public ministry Jesus read a passage from Isaiah.
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free (Luke 4:18 NRSV)
Jesus claimed that this prediction was fulfilled by Him. Luke records Him doing the following after reading this passage.
Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing” (Luke 4:20, 21 TNIV).
The anointed of the Spirit was upon Jesus. Furthermore, this anointing was upon Him during His entire earthly ministry.
Later Peter would tell the people about Jesus’ anointing. He explained it in this manner.
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him (Acts 10:38 NKJV).
In this context the anointing of Jesus was for the work of the ministry.

The Meaning of the Anointing​

What is the “anointing?” Some see the anointing of the Spirit as another way of saying the believer has already received the Holy Spirit while others think it is a special ministry that the Spirit of God has in the life of each believer.

Observations about the Anointing of the Holy Spirit​

From these verses, we can observe the following about the anointing of the Spirit.

1. God Does the Anointing​

It is God who anoints the believer with His Holy Spirit. We do not anoint ourselves. Thus, it is entirely a work of God.

2. The Anointing Remains Forever​

This “anointing” of the Holy Spirit remains forever with the believer. It never leaves those who receive it.

3. The Purpose of the Anointing Is to Teach Us​

The purpose of this anointing of the Holy Spirit is that the believer might be taught of God. He anoints us to teach us His truths so that we can please Him by doing the work of the ministry.

4. He Helps in Understanding the Word of God​

We find that the Holy Spirit anoints the believer in spiritual discernment and the understanding of the Word of God. In fact, Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would be the Teacher of those who believed in Him. On the night of His betrayal, Jesus said.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you (John 14:26 ESV).
The Holy Spirit was promised to teach Jesus disciples as well as bring back all of His words to their remembrance.
Jesus also said the Spirit, as their Teacher, would guide them into “all truth.” He also gave His disciples this promise.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come (John 16:13 NRSV).
Thus, the anointing of the Spirit teaches us the truths of God.

5. People May Be Anointed with a Special Ministry​

Like in the case of Jesus, the Holy Spirit may indeed anoint certain people to do a particular ministry. In other words, they have been given certain abilities to perform God’s work in a unique way. We can thus properly speak of that person as having been “anointed” of the Spirit to perform this task. Again, this is something which God alone does. We do not “anoint” ourselves for the ministry.
In sum, the anointing of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer is another provision that God gives to us so that we can better serve Him.

Summary – Question 13
What Is the Anointing of the Holy Spirit?​

Scripture speaks of believers in Jesus Christ as being anointed with the Holy Spirit. Jesus Himself claimed that He was “anointed” by the Lord to do the work of the ministry. The Apostle Peter later confirmed the anointing of Jesus. Therefore, we find that Jesus was anointed with the Spirit and all believers are anointed with the Spirit of God. What does this mean?
Several things are clear about the anointing of the Spirit.
First, Scripture indicates that all believers have been anointed by the Holy Spirit. There are no exceptions to this.
Second we do not anoint ourselves. God is the one who anoints us. Thus, the anointing of the Holy Spirit is completely God’s work on our behalf.
In addition, this anointing never leaves us. Indeed, it remains with us forever.
So what is the anointing? From Scripture, we find that the anointing ministry of the Holy Spirit is for the purpose of teaching and imparting spiritual power to believers. It is that work of the Holy Spirit which teaches us the truths of God so that we can better understand who He is and what He wants from us. As mentioned, each and every believer receives this anointing.
There is something else to consider. While each believer has received the anointing of the Spirit it is possible that God will anoint, or equip, certain Christians with a special ministry to fulfill. Thus, we can properly say that this person has been “anointed” with the Spirit to fulfill this task.
Again, it is God who anoints the believer with the Spirit –believers do not anoint themselves. The anointing may refer to the initial reception of the Holy Spirit or some special ministry of the Spirit. Whatever the case may be, each of us who have believed in Jesus has been anointed by the Holy Spirit.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the book of Hebrews say?
Fred, I think this is the pasage, He was claiming position right hand of God has to do with the Nature of Our Lord, not being G_d. It only relates to position.

Hebrews 1

Easy-to-Read Version

God Has Spoken Through His Son​

1 In the past God spoke to our people through the prophets. He spoke to them many times and in many different ways. 2 And now in these last days, God has spoken to us again through his Son. He made the whole world through his Son. And he has chosen his Son to have all things. 3 The Son shows the glory of God. He is a perfect copy of God’s nature, and he holds everything together by his powerful command. The Son made people clean from their sins. Then he sat down at the right side[a] of God, the Great One in heaven. 4 The Son became much greater than the angels, and God gave him a name that is much greater than any of their names.
5 God never said this to any of the angels:
“You are my Son.
Today I have become your Father.”
God also never said about an angel,
“I will be his Father,
and he will be my son.”
6 And then, when God presents his firstborn Son to the world,[b] he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”[c]
7 This is what God said about the angels:
“He changes his angels into winds[d]
and his servants into flaming fire.”
8 But this is what he said about his Son:
“God, your kingdom will last forever and ever.
You use your authority for justice.
9 You love what is right and hate what is wrong.
So God, your God, has chosen you,
giving you more honor and joy than anyone like you.”
10 God also said,
“O Lord, in the beginning you made the earth,
and your hands made the sky.
11 These things will disappear, but you will stay.
They will all wear out like old clothes.
12 You will fold them up like a coat,
and they will be changed like clothes.
But you never change,
and your life will never end.”
13 And God never said this to an angel:
“Sit at my right side
until I put your enemies under your power.[e]”
14 All the angels are spirits who serve God and are sent to help those who will receive salvation.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You weren't there, Moses was. No Rabbi would agree with you, because you're not qualified to change the Ot scriptures you gentile. Nor can you reinterpret it to support your futile speculations.

Er... you did know that we are Christians who do not go to rabbis for instruction for obvious reasons right?

Rabbis teach people to reject Jesus as Messiah so they are causing people to go to hell agree.gif

Reactions: The Learner

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Er... you did know that we are Christians who do not go to rabbis for instruction for obvious reasons right?

Rabbis teach people to reject Jesus as Messiah so they are causing people to go to hell View attachment 42059
Er...I bet you know bartenders that drive people to drinking that you frequent and get instructrion from right?

Bartenders encourage people to sin, so they are causing people to go to hell :)

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner
Status
Not open for further replies.