There is only one Mediator, but...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a topic taken from the Electing a New Pope thread. I figured it will be hotly contested, so I decided to put it in the debate forum. Here is my opening statement:

Jesus Christ is the only mediator between man and God, but you STILL need a Man of God to stand with you and bring you to Jesus.

So let's begin:

1 Timothy 2:5 KJV
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

This is the keynote text where our discussion begins, and there is no question here as to who God and the Apostle Paul says who the only mediator is. It is backed up by John in 1 John 2:1 which says if we sin we have an advocate with the Father in Jesus [paraphrasing].

But how is he mediating? Well, yes he is serving as our advocate, but the next verse in 1 Timothy tells us:

1 Timothy 2:6 KJV
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

His death alone was the ransom, the payment, the mediation and the advocacy needed. In other words, mediation isn't needed ant longer as Jesus declared, "It is finished". John 19:30.

Bit that is only half the verse. It says he (and the ransom) had to be testified in due time (and Paul and the rest of the Apostles were that due time).

1 Timothy 2:7 KJV
Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Paul was an Apostle which means he was one who was sent by God. Paul said several times he spoke in Christ's stead and he was his ambassador (which means he spoke for Jesus and his words carried that weight).

Let me bring up a few other scriptures:

1 Corinthians 1:21 KJV
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Romans 10:14 KJV
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Romans 10:17 KJV
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 13:1 KJV
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Romans 13:4 KJV
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Ephesians 4:11-12 KJV
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Hebrews 13:7 KJV
Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

1 Corinthians 4:15 KJV
For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

So Jesus is our mediator. To that there is no doubt, an no... the Man of God is not your mediator. But he stands in Christ's stead and he is the one who brings you to Christ. He (not Jesus) is the one who keeps you in line and he is the one who gives a report.

Yes, God already knows, but he waits for the report of the sent. Good news is that he knows the truth if the report is false, but he waits on the report.

The bottom line is that while Jesus is the mediator, you need a preacher to bring you to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a topic taken from the Electing a New Pope thread. I figured it will be hotly contested, so I decided to put it in the debate forum. Here is my opening statement:

Jesus Christ is the only mediator between man and God, but you STILL need a Man of God to stand with you and bring you to Jesus.

So let's begin:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

This is the keynote text where our discussion begins, and there is no question here as to who God and the Apostle Paul says who the only mediator is. It is backed up by John in 1 John 2:1 which says if we sin we have an advocate with the Father in Jesus [paraphrasing].

But how is he mediating? Well, yes he is serving as our advocate, but the next verse in 1 Timothy tells us:

His death alone was the ransom, the payment, the mediation and the advocacy needed. In other words, mediation isn't needed ant longer as Jesus declared, "It is finished". John 19:30.

Bit that is only half the verse. It says he (and the ransom) had to be testified in due time (and Paul and the rest of the Apostles were that due time).

Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Paul was an Apostle which means he was one who was sent by God. Paul said several times he spoke in Christ's stead and he was his ambassador (which means he spoke for Jesus and his words carried that weight).

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

So Jesus is our mediator. To that there is no doubt, an no... the Man of God is not your mediator. But he stands in Christ's stead and he is the one who brings you to Christ. He (not Jesus) is the one who keeps you in line and he is the one who gives a report.

Yes, God already knows, but he waits for the report of the sent. Good news is that he knows the truth if the report is false, but he waits on the report.

The bottom line is that while Jesus is the mediator, you need a preacher to bring you to him.

Christ became the Mediator between God and man by what He did on the Cross. The shedding of His Blood for man is the the New Covenant. That Covenant is between God and the Man, Christ.

For man to enter into that Covenant he must come through the Blood of Christ.

It is not the man of God (preacher/priest) that brings man to that Blood, it is the Holy Spirit that works in the heart of man when the (preacher/priest) presents the Gospel. In fact, any born-again believer can be led by the Holy Spirit to do this.

I don't see the connection you are making between the Mediator and the man of God.

This must be one of those Catholic things where the priests are made into something they are not!

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So let's begin:

I noticed you left out Romans 10:15/16?
How does a person know a preacher truly had been sent from God to preach

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So let's begin:

There was a time yes that to HEAR the word of God preachers,teachers ministers, evangelists, ect. where how it was intended in the organization of believers but those days are passed.
Now, today as the word says in the last days MANY FALSE PROPHETS shall arise, there will be TEACHERS who appeal to ppl wanting their sins approved and their ears tickled. Satan as an angel of light from pulpits will tear as much of the TRUTH down as possible.

Today we see cults posing as churches, churches posing as believers and followers of God when in fact they are of their father, the devil !

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are told to STUDY TO SHOW OURSELVES APPROVED OF GOD,RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF GOD .Again the word is for doctrine, reproof,correction ECT. When we study under the teacher the Holy Ghost, it comes straight from God for he reveals the things he sees and hears of from the Father and the Son.

Reactions: Earburner

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the man of God (preacher/priest) that brings man to that Blood, it is the Holy Spirit that works in the heart of man when the (preacher/priest) presents the Gospel. In fact, any born-again believer can be led by the Holy Spirit to do this.
While I do believe it is the work of the Holy Spirit, I have provided verses that show it comes through a Man of God. Further proof of this is seen in 1 Cor 2:13, 1 Cor 12:3, Eph 3:5, 2 Peter 1:21 and I am sure I can find many other verses.

I am not saying the Holy Spirit doesn't speak to anyone other than a Man of God. I am sure we can find verses where it happened. But that pattern and noted provided way for someone to find God is threw a Man of God, even if it is just an initial contact. I don't suspect it works that way (that is, all you need is initial contact) but I will start there.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed you left out Romans 10:15/16?
How does a person know a preacher truly had been sent from God to preach
That is a very good and important question. Yes, it must be a true Man of God who was sent by God. I fully agree.

While it is important, for whatever reason I felt it was out of scope for the point I am trying to make.

The Bible does give us information on this in the epistles to Timothy and Titus. There is also a chapter I read in Isaiah which gives details, bit it escapes me at this point.

The bottom line is that we look to the scripture for an answer to that question and how the Apostles and prophets conducted themselves-- even when they slipped up.

Overall, it's bound to be a long vetting process. I'll throw a number out as at least two years, but itcould be shorter or longer. But it's going to come down to whether they preach the truth, and all truth and they don't cut corners for anyone.

That may not be all, but it's a good place to start.

Reactions: BeyondET

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time yes that to HEAR the word of God preachers,teachers ministers, evangelists, ect. where how it was intended in the organization of believers but those days are passed.
Now, today as the word says in the last days MANY FALSE PROPHETS shall arise, there will be TEACHERS who appeal to ppl wanting their sins approved and their ears tickled. Satan as an angel of light from pulpits will tear as much of the TRUTH down as possible.

Today we see cults posing as churches, churches posing as believers and followers of God when in fact they are of their father, the devil !
There were false prophets and false teachers in Biblical days too, or am I wrong on that? Paul even warned that in his time there were already gracious wolves.

I do not deny there are many false prophets and preachers today. I also believe that there are many self- guided people who claim they are following the Holy Spirit who are being deceived by the Devil.

Do you disagree with that?

While I agree that there are many spirits deceiving people as angels of light (and we are told to try the spirits to see what sort they are), as well as many false prophets and teachers, I also believe there are true Men of God and a true Holy Spirit.

Or do you disagree?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were false prophets and false teachers in Biblical days too, or am I wrong on that? Paul even warned that in his time there were already gracious wolves.

I do not deny there are many false prophets and preachers today. I also believe that there are many self- guided people who claim they are following the Holy Spirit who are being deceived by the Devil.

Do you disagree with that?

While I agree that there are many spirits deceiving people as angels of light (and we are told to try the spirits to see what sort they are), as well as many false prophets and teachers, I also believe there are true Men of God and a true Holy Spirit.

Or do you disagree?

I agree as I stated, ppl want to HEAR like they want it said to them.
I do not believe a true seeking heart will be deceived.

We are told the heart is the most deceitful above any of our members, only God can know it. By his true word rightly divided and the REAL Holy Ghost true believers WILL NOT BELIEVE A LIE AND BE DAMNED !

There are many as Simon the sorcerer was following the disciples who want to posses the Spirit for their own gain. Just as Simon was told his recompense so shall they be for this evil desire.

So few have not sold out to mega churches and mega bucks. I praise the Lord WE DO HAVE THE SCRIPTURES TO SEARCH DAILY!

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes and No. While God has ordained that souls should be saved through the preaching of the Gospel, that is not a condition for sinners to be saved. Many have been saved by reading a tract or simply reading the Bible itself. So it is not a "preacher" that is necessary but it is the Holy Spirit Himself who brings sinners to the Savior.

Note: Pope Francis is a fraud and is working for Satan, not for Christ.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have been saved by reading a tract or simply reading the Bible itself. So it is not a "preacher" that is necessary but it is the Holy Spirit Himself who brings sinners to the Savior.
Are you sure about that? Because I have listed verses that say we are saved by preaching (not reading) and that faith comes by hearing a preacher (not reading).

Did these verses become obsolete, and do you have a scriptural basis for your belief?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did these verses become obsolete, and do you have a scriptural basis for your belief?
No those verse are not obsolete but they do not cancel other verses e.g. Hebrews 4:12,13 and many others pertaining to the Holy Spirit.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No those verse are not obsolete but they do not cancel other verses e.g. Hebrews 4:12,13 and many others pertaining to the Holy Spirit.
Hebrews 4:12-13 KJV
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. [13] Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

I don't see these verses directly speaking of the Holy Sprit, much less that one can replace a preacher with your own reading. Perhaps you were thinking of another verse?

Indeed the Holy Spirit must be present! What most people miss is that a true minister will be speaking by the Holy Spirit, and that not of himself.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So let's begin:

I would add to that, that the Holy Ghost teaches our soul regarding God's words. The preacher or priest simply speaks and then we receive the testament from the Holy Ghost. And hopefully the preacher or priest is filled with the spirit to preach God's word.

Reactions: FHII

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you sure about that? Because I have listed verses that say we are saved by preaching (not reading) and that faith comes by hearing a preacher (not reading).

Faith comes by hearing a preacher?
Your logic could also allow the test for a preacher sent by God that they must have beautiful feet and preach peace.

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Paul goes on to make the argument they have heard and not believed, and then Paul explains not because of a preacher they have faith, but because of God they have faith. Faith is the work of God and not preaching,

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

18 But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed:

“Their sound has gone out to all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world.”

That you hear is a work of God, and what that means is that you hear, harken and acknowledge God and Christ by the faith God has put in your heart.

God does it because you did not ask for Him.

20 But Isaiah is very bold and says:

“I was found by those who did not seek Me;
I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me.”

Further proof faith is not a work of man, but of God
29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would add to that, that the Holy Ghost teaches our soul regarding God's words. The preacher or priest simply speaks and then we receive the testament from the Holy Ghost. And hopefully the preacher or priest is filled with the spirit to preach God's word.
I absolutely agree! Godsspeaks to us through the ministry.

Reactions: dev553344

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as "Man of God" is not taken to be limited to a representative of a single denomination, corrupted by men and man's traditions over the centuries.

Having said that, it seems more preferred than a requirement. Like Paul wrote that it is better that we don't marry, some may prefer to anyway. Some may be hermits but we are made to live in community and in that respect, yes. It is easier to find The Way with someone further down the path.