Thinking about the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is the internet and we came to fight!:rolleyes:

Not really, but you know...
Yes the enemy loves a fight, keeps christians more concerned with who the smartest than who is saved and many dont believe they are. convinced that God is incapable and that hey themselves must do something about it Just in case.....

When I return will I find faith upon the earth.... well He is coming and there is very little of that.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the enemy loves a fight, keeps christians more concerned with who the smartest than who is saved and many dont believe they are. convinced that God is incapable and that hey themselves must do something about it Just in case.....

When I return will I find faith upon the earth.... well He is coming and there is very little of that.
Agreed.

I try not to mess with other's convictions in regards to these things. First, because of the risk of causing division, but also second because of Romans 14:23. So, that definitely wasn't my intention with this post but it hasn't really done any good.

If someone wants to lock it, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Reactions: mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agreed.

I try not to mess with other's convictions in regards to these things. First, because of the risk of causing division, but also second because of Romans 14:23. So, that definitely wasn't my intention with this post but it hasn't really done any good.

If someone wants to lock it, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
When you tread on someones Idols they will come running, thats why God said we shouldnt have any, but you may be surprised what men tun into idols. ill let you guess which is the biggest.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you tread on someones Idols they will come running, thats why God said we shouldnt have any, but you may be surprised what men tun into idols. ill let you guess which is the biggest.
have you considered your laboured opinions to be your idols?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
have you considered your laboured opinions to be your idols?
so easy to upset the religious....What are you going to do when you discover your law keeping did nothing for you, blame your leaders or your religion.

Must of being a big idol...

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
so easy to upset the religious....What are you going to do when you discover your law keeping did nothing for you, blame your leaders or your religion.

Must of being a big idol...
I see you sidestepped the question conveniently....and that to worship your opinion.
Oh, by the way, worship is anything that consumes ones thinking!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be clear that our Lord Himself violated the sabbath day (John 5:16-18, Exodus 20:10).

Did He therefore sin?

No; because He was High priest according to the order of Melchizedec; and He was not come after a carnal commandment but after the power of an endless life.

He was of the tribe of Judah of which Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood. So, He had to be of a different priesthood than Levi. Therefore, he was of the priesthood of Melchizedec.

With a change of priesthood came also a change in law (Hebrews 7:12). This change in law does not consist of any jot or tittle being removed from the law. Rather, it is a transition of how we obey it. Whereas before, we sought to obey a set of do's and don'ts; now, we have received the Holy Spirit by faith and in bearing the fruit of the Spirit there is no law that will condemn us for our behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23).

It is not according to the letter any more but according to the spirit of what is written (Romans 7:6).

And, even as we are not subject to the letter, Jesus set the example for us by not being subject to the letter.

Jesus said that He is the Lord of the sabbath and that the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath; and that it is therefore lawful to do well on the sabbath.

This was a re-definition of the Old Testament law; which said that you must not do any work on the sabbath days (Exodus 20:10).

Clearly, this is what it says in John 5:16-18...

Jhn 5:16, And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Jhn 5:17, But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
Jhn 5:18, Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Jesus violated the letter but was perfectly obedient to the spirit of what God intended. Thus He set the example for us to live by as concerning what Paul wrote in Romans 7:6.

Truly, it is lawful under the New Covenant to do well on the sabbath days.

Under the Old Covenant, not so much.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It should be clear that our Lord Himself violated the sabbath day (John 5:16-18, Exodus 20:10).
Your premise on this is in error and anything but clear from the outset. Jesus violated the requirements of the Pharisees. It was these restrictions and rules Jesus calls the commandments of men. An error in discerning this primary element in the life of Jesus sets a precedent for error in interpreting his words and purpose.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I also see you couldn't be bothered to go back two posts and check....right!
Actually I did, my thoughts are not made of wood, nor brick nor stone. And the truth is in Christ. but mentioning Him seems to upset so many who refuse to come out for His sake. So yes stay in your religion, it wont save you nor bring you into good stead with God, He cannot divided himself amongst mens religion and doctrines you do it without Him.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a Christian. I believe what I quoted from the NT in post #115.
Hebrews 8:13 (NKJV)
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete.
I see you're quite fond of the idea of eternal torment, too. Good for you.
I won't ask you what you are. That would be insulting, wouldn't it?
Fond? lol
Well yeah, I'm quite "fond" of the NT. It mentions the eternal fire several times. Jesus was "fond" of it. Are you JW?

Reactions: mailmandan

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hebrews 8:13 (NKJV)
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete.

Fond? lol
Well yeah, I'm quite "fond" of the NT. It mentions the eternal fire several times. Jesus was "fond" of it. Are you JW?
SDA

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am wondering lately, as the world tends to be more stressful, why we are not indulging in this more? Why are we not taking advantage of spending one day of the week with Christ?

I do not go to a man-made church.
I do not spend one day of the week with Christ.

Christ's Church is With-IN me.
It is Always Open.
I spend time Expressly With Christ on any Day, at any time, 24-7.
I have no Limited Constraint of Time, by myself, with family, with friends, with a stranger, any time, any place, to PRAY, worship the Lord God, praise the Lord God, Thank the Lord God, Ask the Lord God...
This IS A Gift from The Lord God...that personally, we choose to take full advantage of such Gift. :)

Glory to God,
Taken

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did He therefore sin?

No; because He was High priest according to the order of Melchizedec; and He was not come after a carnal commandment but after the power of an endless life.

He was of the tribe of Judah of which Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood. So, He had to be of a different priesthood than Levi. Therefore, he was of the priesthood of Melchizedec.

With a change of priesthood came also a change in law (Hebrews 7:12). This change in law does not consist of any jot or tittle being removed from the law. Rather, it is a transition of how we obey it. Whereas before, we sought to obey a set of do's and don'ts; now, we have received the Holy Spirit by faith and in bearing the fruit of the Spirit there is no law that will condemn us for our behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23).

It is not according to the letter any more but according to the spirit of what is written (Romans 7:6).

And, even as we are not subject to the letter, Jesus set the example for us by not being subject to the letter.

Jesus said that He is the Lord of the sabbath and that the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath; and that it is therefore lawful to do well on the sabbath.

This was a re-definition of the Old Testament law; which said that you must not do any work on the sabbath days (Exodus 20:10).

Clearly, this is what it says in John 5:16-18...

Jhn 5:16, And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Jhn 5:18, Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Jesus violated the letter but was perfectly obedient to the spirit of what God intended. Thus He set the example for us to live by as concerning what Paul wrote in Romans 7:6.

Truly, it is lawful under the New Covenant to do well on the sabbath days.

Under the Old Covenant, not so much.
Very consummate rationalizing, JBF. Bravo. :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your premise on this is in error and anything but clear from the outset. Jesus violated the requirements of the Pharisees. It was these restrictions and rules Jesus calls the commandments of men. An error in discerning this primary element in the life of Jesus sets a precedent for error in interpreting his words and purpose.

It should be clear that Exodus 20:10 tells us that the sabbath day law requires that we do not do any work on it.

Exo 20:10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

It says clearly in John 5:18 that Jesus broke the sabbath; and if that weren't enough, we find that He at the very least claimed to violate the sabbath. For it was the sabbath day on that day (John 5:16); and Jesus said on that day, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work (John 5:17).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be clear that Exodus 20:10 tells us that the sabbath day law requires that we do not do any work on it.

Exo 20:10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

It says clearly in John 5:18 that Jesus broke the sabbath; and if that weren't enough, we find that He at the very least claimed to violate the sabbath. For it was the sabbath day on that day (John 5:16); and Jesus said on that day, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work (John 5:17).

What you're effectively saying is that because Jesus did the work He did on the Sabbath, we are thereby authorized to break God's law with impunity. Or is it because the Sabbath was for the Jews only? Or one of the other dozen excuses folks give for breaking God's law? I can never seem to get a straight answer from Sabbath-decriers. Warranted disobedience is a prize to be treasured by some folks, to be sure. Was it okay for ancient Israel to break the Sabbath since God worked to hold up the worlds and other heavenly bodies and keep the universe running on the Sabbath?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

you do not understand what you are saying!