Thinking about the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently read a book called the Subversive Sabbath by AJ Swoboda. The basic idea was that the Sabbath was not intended to be a legalistic thing, but a healing thing that you may take if you choose. After six days of creation, God, who does not require rest in the same way that humans do (God does not get tired) gave us the example of humility by resting himself on the seventh day. It us natural for us to be tired and need rest.

I am wondering lately, as the world tends to be more stressful, why we are not indulging in this more? Why are we not taking advantage of spending one day of the week with Christ? For those of you who are married, you would more than likely spend at least one day of a week with your spouse for a romantic date night or whatever, but it seems in these days, we'd rather argue about whether or not we should spend time alone in the quiet with Jesus. Talking to most people, they'd rather give all of the reasons we shouldn't because it's "too legalistic." That's a bit discouraging.

I haven't been doing this myself, despite a tight chest and feeling exhausted, and I have to admit that while I believe that I should my issue is pride. I am prideful about getting my housework done and I just can't give up the idea of the floors being dirty or the dishes piling up in the sink.

The other issue, I would think, for most people and I include myself, is distractions. There are constant distractions with social media, the news, cellphones, and whatever else. And it's all just so addicting it's hard to just stop and submit in peace and quiet.

I think I will try this weekend.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I recently read a book called the Subversive Sabbath by AJ Swoboda. The basic idea was that the Sabbath was not intended to be a legalistic thing, but a healing thing that you may take if you choose. After six days of creation, God, who does not require rest in the same way that humans do (God does not get tired) gave us the example of humility by resting himself on the seventh day. It us natural for us to be tired and need rest.

I am wondering lately, as the world tends to be more stressful, why we are not indulging in this more? Why are we not taking advantage of spending one day of the week with Christ? For those of you who are married, you would more than likely spend at least one day of a week with your spouse for a romantic date night or whatever, but it seems in these days, we'd rather argue about whether or not we should spend time alone in the quiet with Jesus. Talking to most people, they'd rather give all of the reasons we shouldn't because it's "too legalistic." That's a bit discouraging.

I haven't been doing this myself, despite a tight chest and feeling exhausted, and I have to admit that while I believe that I should my issue is pride. I am prideful about getting my housework done and I just can't give up the idea of the floors being dirty or the dishes piling up in the sink.

The other issue, I would think, for most people and I include myself, is distractions. There are constant distractions with social media, the news, cellphones, and whatever else. And it's all just so addicting it's hard to just stop and submit in peace and quiet.

Hi @FluffyYellowDuck I really do agree with the idea of disciplining oneself to spend time in the presence of the Lord with the Scriptures and prayer and fellowship.

As regards Old Testament legal obligations, Hebrews 7 says the law was changed; and what we now have is better than the law; so I don't see the legal obligation side of it, strictly speaking.

Reactions: Pearl

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @FluffyYellowDuck I really do agree with the idea of disciplining oneself to spend time in the presence of the Lord with the Scriptures and prayer and fellowship.

As regards Old Testament legal obligations, Hebrews 7 says the law was changed; and what we now have is better than the law; so I don't see the legal obligation side of it, strictly speaking.

Thanks, farouk! I would have to say that I agree and I don't see an obligation either. Only a gift that I regret not taking advantage of.

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Greetings, Fluffy Duck!

This is a nice post. I don't know why I don't do it more often either. I suppose because I am always wanting to work on something, but I do occasionally notice I am overdoing it, and then I'll observe a day of rest for awhile. But if you are going to, the idea with the dishes and dirty floors is to try and work a little harder the day before to prepare everything so that those things are done and you can just relax and not have to worry abut anything.

God bless, and welcome to Christianity Board!
Hidden In Him

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you! I used to do it more frequently. I used to clean the floors the night before and at the very least choose an easy dinner. But I have two kids, a dog, and now six cats so I have to clean the floor 3-4 times a day! :confused: I might just need to get over it and let things slide for a day. lol

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you! I used to do it more frequently. I used to clean the floors the night before and at the very least choose an easy dinner. But I have two kids, a dog, and now six cats so I have to clean the floor 3-4 times a day! :confused: I might just need to get over it and let things slide for a day. lol
@FluffyYellowDuck Moms are always busy! God bless your family! :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's kinda convenient to covet...you know, who's going to enforce the unseen and unheard desire for another mans wife or husband or money when it's easy to come by. Do you think about it twice? Do you say, what the hell, it's not hurting anybody? or maybe the view is, the law has been done a way with, I'll suit myself, I won't be legalistic.......tricky hah?

If it wasn't tricky Eve would not have taken the apple......trickery is how the evil one works.....he ratchets us around by changing our view which results in breaking God's Commandments.....in the case of the Sabbath, forgetting it or finding reasons to disregard it. If he can get us to use the scripture to justify breaking God's Commandments we are caught in his snare....and securely at that.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's kinda convenient to covet...you know, who's going to enforce the unseen and unheard desire for another mans wife or husband or money when it's easy to come by. Do you think about it twice? Do you say, what the hell, it's not hurting anybody? or maybe the view is, the law has been done a way with, I'll suit myself, I won't be legalistic.......tricky hah?

If it wasn't tricky Eve would not have taken the apple......trickery is how the evil one works.....he ratchets us around by changing our view which results in breaking God's Commandments.....in the case of the Sabbath, forgetting it or finding reasons to disregard it. If he can get us to use the scripture to justify breaking God's Commandments we are caught in his snare....and securely at that.

Interesting perspective. I always believed under Romans 7:6, we were free from the law and no longer bound to it.

"But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit."

Is there a piece of scripture that makes you believe differently?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting perspective. I always believed under Romans 7:6, we were free from the law and no longer bound to it.

"But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit."

Is there a piece of scripture that makes you believe differently?

here's a couple of translations of the same verse FYD. There are others also.

Psalm 19:9-10 (TLB)
God’s laws are pure, eternal, just. They are more desirable than gold. They are sweeter than honey dripping from a honeycomb.

Psalm 19:7-11 KJV. translation
The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
'Thinking about the Sabbath' -- ever thought about the Sabbath what the Bible says about the Sabbath innumerable times in comparison with the once it says about man and the Sabbath that man must not work on it? Yes, ONCE in the first giving of the Ten Commandments, the only place. But I bet, that like everybody else you have not yet thought about the Sabbath IN BIBLE TERMS, that "the Seventh Day is Sabbath Day : OF THE LORD GOD".

Or have you?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'Thinking about the Sabbath' -- ever thought about the Sabbath what the Bible says about the Sabbath innumerable times in comparison with the once it says about man and the Sabbath that man must not work on it? Yes, ONCE in the first giving of the Ten Commandments, the only place. But I bet, that like everybody else you have not yet thought about the Sabbath IN BIBLE TERMS, that "the Seventh Day is Sabbath Day : OF THE LORD GOD".

Or have you?
seems you have decided what I think Gerhard

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And yet men do it every day.... even when they say they dont, disobedient, by there works. And along comes the enemy to set the snare, the trap. that will catch one in that LAW net. To subvert all that Christ has done, so men can boast before God, What a good boy am I.

Reactions: amadeus

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

What is 'legalistic'? It is 'I' thinking, talking and doing lawful; it is not thinking, talking and doing God's Law.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
interesting huh!.....how God's Law brings out a strong response. God's Law also found a strong response in Heaven....a third of angels felt so strongly....felt compelled to side with the master maligner, it cost them their place in Heaven.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
interesting huh!.....how God's Law it brings out a strong response. God's Law also found a strong response in Heaven....a third of angels felt so strongly....felt compelled to side with the master maligner, it cost them their place in Heaven.
Sad thing is, it will cost many there place at His wedding, and possibly salvation, but hey, who cares... whatever floats mans boats. Religion... Sighhhhh....