Thinking about the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you're effectively saying is that because Jesus did the work He did on the Sabbath, we are thereby authorized to break God's law with impunity.
What I am saying is that there is no condemnation from the law for the born again believer. While he is also governed by the law from the inside; just not by the letter of the law. By the spirit of what is written. I do not say that this will not be according to the letter for the most part.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We found our rest in Christ, some never will....

Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Amen! Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used no where else in the Bible. This is in regards to perpetual sabbath rest that is to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law. Although for centuries the Jews had found their physical rest in a day, the New Covenant takes the focus off the shadows and reveals their spiritual substance -- the fulfillment/reality—in the person of Jesus Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17) Christians find "sabbatismos" rest in Jesus Christ and not in the Mosaic law.

Hebrews 4:10 says the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. That person has entered in God’s rest through Jesus "rests from his own work" (in contrast to law keeping) as God ceased or rested from His works in the seventh day of creation. God's ultimate, true rest did not come through Joshua or Moses, but through Jesus Christ. Joshua led Israel into the promised land, which was merely the earthly rest which was but a shadow of what was involved in the heavenly rest. The rest in Christ that God offers is spiritual and is superior to that which Joshua obtained. Israel's earthly rest was filled with conflict and attacks from their enemies and the daily cycle of work.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently read a book called the Subversive Sabbath by AJ Swoboda. The basic idea was that the Sabbath was not intended to be a legalistic thing, but a healing thing that you may take if you choose. After six days of creation, God, who does not require rest in the same way that humans do (God does not get tired) gave us the example of humility by resting himself on the seventh day. It us natural for us to be tired and need rest.

I am wondering lately, as the world tends to be more stressful, why we are not indulging in this more? Why are we not taking advantage of spending one day of the week with Christ? For those of you who are married, you would more than likely spend at least one day of a week with your spouse for a romantic date night or whatever, but it seems in these days, we'd rather argue about whether or not we should spend time alone in the quiet with Jesus. Talking to most people, they'd rather give all of the reasons we shouldn't because it's "too legalistic." That's a bit discouraging.

I haven't been doing this myself, despite a tight chest and feeling exhausted, and I have to admit that while I believe that I should my issue is pride. I am prideful about getting my housework done and I just can't give up the idea of the floors being dirty or the dishes piling up in the sink.

The other issue, I would think, for most people and I include myself, is distractions. There are constant distractions with social media, the news, cellphones, and whatever else. And it's all just so addicting it's hard to just stop and submit in peace and quiet.

I think I will try this weekend.
Might I offer that God will honor and bless any effort you make toward the keeping of His Sabbath? You could start by preparing a few simple meals the day before and eating them on paper plates the next day. Then maybe once-a-month you could add some small practice to what you've done. If you can't avoid distractions, then pray that God would help you to minimize their effect on you somehow.

Jewish Senator Joe Lieberman has written a book on modern Sabbath-keeping which they say is very good. I've never read it but I plan to find the time very soon.

It's available in Kindle form for $11.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Rest-Rediscovering-Beauty-Sabbath-ebook/dp/B004G8QS9Y

You know, I have been a Sabbath-keeper for over 30 years now and my practice of it has changed greatly. I am not nearly as dogmatic about it as I was at first. I've read books about it. But really, I think Scripture has helped me the most for about the last 20 years. Meditation helps a lot. I'm not talking about the desert fathers-type stuff. It's more like Bible study in your head. I think about what Christ said about the Sabbath and try to imagine Him going through a day's worth of it. It's very stimulating. I used to nap quite a bit. I've stopped that for the most part. Hey, I can sleep at night, right? We can't get back the hours that we miss with God. And that's what it's all about. Special, "quality time" with Jesus. And doing good to others. Like 24 hours of "the two Great Commandments" from concentrate.

Not recruiting here; just encouraging improving The Relationship (which would do us all good, eh?).

:)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Might I offer that God will honor and bless any effort you make toward the keeping of His Sabbath? You could start by preparing a few simple meals the day before and eating them on paper plates the next day. Then maybe once-a-month you could add some small practice to what you've done. If you can't avoid distractions, then pray that God would help you to minimize their effect on you somehow.

Jewish Senator Joe Lieberman has written a book on modern Sabbath-keeping which they say is very good. I've never read it but I plan to find the time very soon.

It's available in Kindle form for $11.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Rest-Rediscovering-Beauty-Sabbath-ebook/dp/B004G8QS9Y

You know, I have been a Sabbath-keeper for over 30 years now and my practice of it has changed greatly. I am not nearly as dogmatic about it as I was at first. I've read books about it. But really, I think Scripture has helped me the most for about the last 20 years. Meditation helps a lot. I'm not talking about the desert fathers-type stuff. It's more like Bible study in your head. I think about what Christ said about the Sabbath and try to imagine Him going through a day's worth of it. It's very stimulating. I used to nap quite a bit. I've stopped that for the most part. Hey, I can sleep at night, right? We can't get back the hours that we miss with God. And that's what it's all about. Special, "quality time" with Jesus. And doing good to others. Like 24 hours of "the two Great Commandments" from concentrate.

Not recruiting here; just encouraging improving The Relationship (which would do us all good, eh?).

:)

Thanks! I've done better about keeping it now. I don't know if it's right or not but when Saturday rolls around I just stopped doing anything that doesn't *have* to be done and keeping it easy. I end up having a lot of clean up on Sunday but I am learning to just let it go. I love the paper plates idea! I might do that.

Reactions: Brakelite