"Thou preparest a table"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the significance of David's words (inspired by the Holy Spirit) when he says: "in the presence of mine enemies"

Psalm 23:5-6

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

What is on the table?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Table is spiritual, as well as the food on it, but it's to come in the future from David perspective.... and is the plate loaded.

and his enemies are spiritual also, not (fleshly), as the Lord Jesus said clearly, "this EVIL generation".

one big hint, we're delivered from our enemies how, physically or Spiritually?

PCY

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
What is the significance of David's words (inspired by the Holy Spirit) when he says: "in the presence of mine enemies"

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

What is on the table?
"a man's enemies will be those of his own household" maybe?

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is on the table?
I like 101G's spiritual bent. But I would have to say that David simply meant that God had been good to him, that He more than made a way for him, He also provided for him in a way only shown to special and honored guests.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like 101G's spiritual bent. But I would have to say that David simply meant that God had been good to him, that He more than made a way for him, He also provided for him in a way only shown to special and honored guests.
Correct, and the preparing is the Lord Jesus to come. the great comforter, and deliver. Grace and mercy "FOLLOWED" him, but now it's going to be a reality. the safety of the ark for ever. remember, Acts 2:25-28 "For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 "Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 "Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 "Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance". amen.

PCY

Reactions: amadeus and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Table is spiritual, as well as the food on it, but it's to come in the future from David perspective.... and is the plate loaded.

and his enemies are spiritual also, not (fleshly), as the Lord Jesus said clearly, "this EVIL generation".

one big hint, we're delivered from our enemies how, physically or Spiritually?

PCY
I do agree that we should look at the spiritual meaning. David also had earthly dilemmas as well. He was writing about both. David's life was amazing. He demonstrated the spiritual struggle we have with his physical life. It is no wonder to me that he had the testimony that he fulfilled all God's will and was a man after God's own heart.

As for the "table"... David was a renegade for many years. He was running from Saul whom he refused to kill (though he had opportunity and reason). God always provided for him. Thus the "table": a place of nurishment and rest.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do agree that we should look at the spiritual meaning. David also had earthly dilemmas as well. He was writing about both. David's life was amazing. He demonstrated the spiritual struggle we have with his physical life. It is no wonder to me that he had the testimony that he fulfilled all God's will and was a man after God's own heart.

As for the "table"... David was a renegade for many years. He was running from Saul whom he refused to kill (though he had opportunity and reason). God always provided for him. Thus the "table": a place of nurishment and rest.
First, thanks for the reply. agreed, also is not the Lord the Rest, and the comfort? Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light". amen

PCY

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Table Prepared before us = Banquet, abundance, and welcome.
you're correct, Isaiah 55:1 "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price".

PCY

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with the other posts but still have questions maybe only He can answer. Yes, Only He can answer although it may be through another member of the body. If someone asked me to tell them about who God is in a matter of minutes I would tell them:

God prepared a table before His enemies, in that "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

And because of that greatest act of Love and accomplishment: Psalm 23:6

Sometimes, I hear of a God that contradicts the above. Which is He? Why does the cup run over? Why is the table before David's enemies? I don't see the God I have come to know, gloating or desiring to rub in ones face for any other purpose but to draw one to Him.

Isaiah 28:8
[8] For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.

Malachi 1:12
[12] But ye have profaned it, in that ye say, The table of the Lord is polluted; and the fruit thereof, even his meat, is contemptible.

For anyone that may say I am putting too much focus on the table. I ask, am I? If Jesus Christ, the express image of his person, is what is on the table?

Hebrews 1:3
[3] Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Mark 11:25-26
[25] And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. [26] But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

John 14:8-9
[8] Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. [9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then , Shew us the Father?

Luke 6:36-38
[36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. [37] Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: [38] Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Mark 3:28-29
[28] Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: [29] But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Matthew 18:32-35
[32] Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: [33] Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? [34] And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. [35] So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Proverbs 3:3 KJV
[3] Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
Consider also the following verses:

"And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." Acts 10:11-15

Of course, God was letting Peter know that the gentiles were being changed from "unclean" to "clean". The vessel is this case is as the table for David. The enemies in whose presence he was, were not only Saul and his soldiers. They were also what Paul calls the "old man" of each of us and/or satan, wherever and whatever he is.

And what is on the table? It was to Peter before he understood, unclean beasts, not to be touched on eaten. God set him straight because God had cleaned up the food making it edible and nourishing. Where do we get good food? From the Word of God which may come out of the mouth of a person or even a beast, so long as it is God's message to us.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
yes, when Noah was preparing the ark, it was in plain sight, (in the presence) of his enemies.

PCY.
i can't disagree, but it seems the "table" of abundance has been lost there, iow imo we are talking about a different concept now; although obviously Noah got fed the whole time he was building the Ark, right, and i guess no one was paying him money to build the ark either

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
Consider also the following verses:

"And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." Acts 10:11-15

Of course, God was letting Peter know that the gentiles were being changed from "unclean" to "clean". The vessel is this case is as the table for David. The enemies in whose presence he was, were not only Saul and his soldiers. They were also what Paul calls the "old man" of each of us and/or satan, wherever and whatever he is.

And what is on the table? It was to Peter before he understood, unclean beasts, not to be touched on eaten. God set him straight because God had cleaned up the food making it edible and nourishing. Where do we get good food? From the Word of God which may come out of the mouth of a person or even a beast, so long as it is God's message to us.
amadeus, God bless you. that one cross my mind yesterday, but I thought people wouldn't understand it. correct, that are many types of Tables, in this case it a Spiritual revelation table. I commend you on that one. the Holy Ghost had to reveal it to you.

PCY.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i can't disagree, but it seems the "table" of abundance has been lost there, iow imo we are talking about a different concept now; although obviously Noah got fed the whole time he was building the Ark, right, and i guess no one was paying him money to build the ark either
there are many types of tables as in the natural. some for food, some for medical some in legal use, ect..

in David case, deliverance, salvation. just as with amadeus a table was use to reveal.

PCY