to be a Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shinran

Jul 23, 2011
According John 1:12~13, , he gave the right to become children of God— .
Is this sufficient enough for me to believe that I am a Christian?
or else do I need?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12-13 ESV)

Yes, I believe this does cover what is 'needed'. We must 'receive him' and believe in his name.

If you want a bit more of depth to it....it's not just enough to 'believe' that Jesus existed (as many people do...there are enough historical records to prove he truly existed), but we must believe in who he claimed to be, and why he claimed he had come.

I (John) have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” (Mark 1:8 ESV) - We must receive the Holy Spirit

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3 ESV) - We receive the Spirit when we are 'born again'.

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Matthew 4:17 ESV) - We are born again when we realize that we are sinful and in need of Christ's saving grace...when we repent of our sinful natures.
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17 ESV) - Christ came to fulfil the law of the OT...specifically the laws about sacrifice making us right with God.

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV) - Christ became our perfect sacrifice, perfect and pure, his death was a once for all deed that freed us from all our unrighteousness in the eyes of God.

...and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:46-47 ESV) - We must believe that Christ did indeed live, but also that he died, and was raised to life. It is in this power of resurrection...the power of life over death, of his righteousness over our sins, that we go forth and proclaim the good news!

the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. (Romans 3:22-25 ESV)

I hope that cleared up the question....and didn't go overboard on stuff that you really didn't want or need!!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Rules, schmools....! As long as you are faithful towards the bible, and the guiding of the Holy Spirit on your conscience in responce to the word....everything else is just behaviour in response to your salvation, not an earning or keeping of it!
We behave like Christ because we get to....not because we have to!

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Shinran: you are FREE in Christ!
Beware of the many "shackles" that many Church groups will try to impose on you.
You will have many doubts and Questions; take them to the Lord in prayer; and you may even find/be sent at least one person of true "wisdom" who will help you in the early years.
Christ be with you in your joyful journey!
Regard.
Floyd.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
shinran said:
According John 1:12~13, , he gave the right to become children of God— .
Is this sufficient enough for me to believe that I am a Christian?
or else do I need?
We all have the right to be children, but we don't all take it.

James 4:8 is achieved by following Matt 16:24, James 4:6, Psalm 51:17, James 1:27 which leads to 1 Cor 12:3 and Matt 16:16-17.

When you are a Christian you will hear and know God's voice John 10:27. Calling Jesus, Lord and hearing His voice are simple acid tests.
Bearing in mind that His 'voice' will never contradict scripture.

I agree with posters above in that the gospel is very simple. You don't need to mindful of rules and regulations to be a Christian. You just have to judge your heart honestly 1 Cor 11:31 and work out your salvation in fear and trembling before Him Phil 2:12. He knocks on the door to our heart Rev 3:20, we either open it or we don't.

However, what happens is, when our hearts are after His....we WANT to do those things that please Him. Hence works are a natural consequence of loving Him. Many expect to see them in others to judge their Christianity, which is not unreasonable if you think about it. Just many tend to get the cart before the horse...and then many have no cart either :ph34r:.