To be or not to be Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure how. The books are speaking, but when I wake up with a song in my head praising Jesus and the words tell me there's a lion in me and to shout, what do you suggest I do?

I'm not talking about when you are alone and praising Jesus or even in church. I was speaking of the poster who posted in all caps.

Focus on church tradition, and it's a rocky road.

When I speak of liturgical I am speaking of the church format and how the church goes through it's service. I prefer liturgical services as I don't want a rock concert when I go to church. If I want to go to a rock concert, I will get tickets to one. I like as Devin put it reverent services.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i wish i had a 1.00 for every time i heard this.. odds are they wont unless they get saved and rooted in the word..

Well, they get to choose anyway once they become adults. We can have them in the same church every day for 18 years from the time of their birth, butbonce they turn 18, they can choose what they want.

This is my opinion based on my 48 years of experience on this rock.

Reactions: Bibleinvestigations

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can have them in the same church every day for 18 years from the time of their birth, but bonce they turn 18, they can choose what they want.
this is true once again born again rooted and grounded .because many not all . will go the way of the world ...that comes from 23 years of ministry

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is true once again born again rooted and grounded .because many not all . will go the way of the world ...that comes from 23 years of ministry

Happy we have an agreement.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a great discussion with my Very Catholic sister yesterday on the following passages. From the NIV:

5:24-27 - 24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

6:51 - I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

if you are a believer in Jesus you WILL NOT be judged. You will hear the voice of Jesus and go straight to heaven. There is no Purgatory nor work requirements. In addition, I think John 6:51 is self explanatory for the sacrament of the Eucharist. My sister asked me what my thoughts were on this Catholic sacrifice and I gave them to her based on my investigation work through the Holy Spirit. I will keep them to myself for now.
Hello,

So your opinion is that there are no work requirements. What do you make of James 2:17?

Also, it seems that you are saying that the Holy Spirit guided you to the truth "on this Catholic sacrifice" but you intend to keep it to yourself. If you honestly believe that the Spirit is guiding you, shouldn't you share that with all Christians? After all, isn't that what the Holy Spirit would want you to do?

Mary

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about when you are alone and praising Jesus or even in church. I was speaking of the poster who posted in all caps.

When I speak of liturgical I am speaking of the church format and how the church goes through it's service. I prefer liturgical services as I don't want a rock concert when I go to church. If I want to go to a rock concert, I will get tickets to one. I like as Devin put it reverent services.
How did the NT church worship?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A year ago I mentioned to a dear Catholic friend that their Catechism claims the tradition of the church is equivalent to the Word of God in the Bible, and she disagreed while visibly shaking and walked away.
Many are uncomfortable with doctrinal discussions. Just stick to the following with her and those like her. Love God, obey his commandments, love one another. That's it. Beyond that most people get upset.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your opinion is that there are no work requirements. What do you make of James 2:17?
Please allow me to share my understanding and belief.

It's not like we have to go on a mission to be saved. Our faith saves us but, at the same time, we have to obey or at least try to obey Jesus and his commandments. As Jesus said, if we love him, we will obey (John 14:15). It's important that we have a relationship with him so that he knows us lest we fall into Mathew 7:21-23 "I never knew you".

Jesus said that our "work" is to believe in God. John 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

However, if we see one in need, we are obligated to help them because that is what Christians are called to do.

Matthew 25:34-45
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Reactions: Marymog

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of "Bible study", where is the verse to support this claim?

The Great White Throne Judgment​

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [c]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second [d]death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know you asked me, but you answer the question for me.

Just know how you answer will not matter to me. Everyone has a preferred way to worship and liturgical is mine.
how did they? Do we see a church today who worships as they did?

I am going to say no.. But I want to know your thoughts

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

Also, it seems that you are saying that the Holy Spirit guided you to the truth "on this Catholic sacrifice" but you intend to keep it to yourself. If you honestly believe that the Spirit is guiding you, shouldn't you share that with all Christians? After all, isn't that what the Holy Spirit would want you to do?

Mary
Hello Mary,

James 2:20-22 - But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?

Notice James uses Abraham as an example of works. It was God that told Abraham to sacrifice his son. So James refers to works that God tells you to do. Not you. Jesus has a plan for you already, pray and He will guide you. Don't say "I" will do something because "I" is pride.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how did they? Do we see a church today who worships as they did?

I am going to say no.. But I want to know your thoughts

For what reason?

As I said, I will not change how I worship. As long as I worship God, does it really matter how it is done? How I worship makes me feel closer to God. Is that an issue?

Again, I am not going to change how I worship. So drop it.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For what reason?

As I said, I will not change how I worship. As long as I worship God, does it really matter how it is done? How I worship makes me feel closer to God. Is that an issue?

Again, I am not going to change how I worship. So drop it.
I did not ask you to change

You mentioned todays churches. I just asked if there were any that did what they did in the book of acts.

worship however you want. No sweat of my back..

a little discernment would do you good When your in a discussion forum

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not ask you to change

You mentioned todays churches. I just asked if there were any that did what they did in the book of acts.

worship however you want. No sweat of my back..

a little discernment would do you good When your in a discussion forum

I have discernment. I am sorry it isn't up to snuff for you though.