To be or not to be Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a great discussion with my Very Catholic sister yesterday on the following passages. From the NIV:

5:24-27 - 24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

6:51 - I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

if you are a believer in Jesus you WILL NOT be judged. You will hear the voice of Jesus and go straight to heaven. There is no Purgatory nor work requirements. In addition, I think John 6:51 is self explanatory for the sacrament of the Eucharist. My sister asked me what my thoughts were on this Catholic sacrifice and I gave them to her based on my investigation work through the Holy Spirit. I will keep them to myself for now.

Reactions: dev553344

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you are a believer in Jesus you WILL NOT be judged.
WHAT does this say ? 2 Corinthians 5:10 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

you need to readjust your not be judged as Christians/born again not judged for our sins. but we do stand before the bema seat we do give account. our works will be judged by fire.

the catholic belief is very heavy based on a type work base salvation . the greatest sacrifice is what Christ done for us on the cross . they still have him on the cross our cross is empty much like the tomb .

best thing you can do for her.is get her in a Bible study show her purgatory is not real. when we leave this walk of life on earth. we either are saved or were not .

there is no 2nd chance after we die... try and give her lead on asking questions

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHAT does this say ? 2 Corinthians 5:10 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. you need to readjust your not be judged as Christians/born again not judged for our sins. but we do stand before the bema seat we do give account. our works will be judged by fire.
The judgement seat is the throne, so yes as believers we will be at the throne of Jesus, but we won't be judged. We will be one with the Lord praising Jesus for his sacrifice.
best thing you can do for her.is get her in a Bible study show her purgatory is not real. when we leave this walk of life on earth. we either are saved or were not .
I'm finding it's a very slow process with Catholics. A year ago I mentioned to a dear Catholic friend that their Catechism claims the tradition of the church is equivalent to the Word of God in the Bible, and she disagreed while visibly shaking and walked away. I gave her my email address to discuss and never heard from her again. My other Catholic friends would never accept attending a bible study. They believe we are the lost ones without the precious insight to the faith that they obtain through Catholicism. We are unsaved heathen's to them and don't let them tell you that they now accept us as brothers and sisters in faith, because according to their current Catechism book this is a lie. They do however, accept Muslims as brothers and sisters in faith.

there is no 2nd chance after we die... try and give her lead on asking questions
It isn't easy but I can't give up. Those who "worship" the beast will be condemned, but those Catholics who worship Jesus are saved.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but those Catholics who worship Jesus are saved.
this is correct just like any other denomination . its not the name over the door its the name in the heart . i have family who are catholics in fact one married a Mormon and joined. .not sure where he stands with catholics i use to go to men prayer breakfast we had a catholic who came.
we had devotions Bible study great guy .but devoted catholic . many time's catholic teaching is hard to get away from. i use go church witha lady raised catholic is now bornagain. her husband was adult s.s teacher she use to comment and you could here her catholic teaching come out in her answers. she knew the word saved but somethings just come out

Reactions: Cassandra

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm technically not Catholic and I deviate from their beliefs somewhat. I'm really not sure what to believe in after having studied the bible. I used to be Mormon and then went to Catholic services. Now I'm just confused who to attend.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm technically not Catholic and I deviate from their beliefs somewhat. I'm really not sure what to believe in after having studied the bible. I used to be Mormon and then went to Catholic services. Now I'm just confused who to attend.
first thing a person must do is make sure they are born again .then get you a bible find a good Bible teaching church Sunday school church wed p.m service . ask question read your Bible /just because they say its truth.. find out for yourself. pray and study .i do suggest staying away from catholics . Mormons and Jehovah witness

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
start looking for a church and dont be afraid to ask questions . if the answers dont line up move forward
Well I'm not reformed in any means. I believe in a more traditional sense of church. Reverent worship is what I like and enjoy.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm not reformed in any means. I believe in a more traditional sense of church. Reverent worship is what I like and enjoy.
YOU JUST NEED FIND A BIBLE BASED church

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOU JUST NEED FIND A BIBLE BASED church

Do you think yelling it will help?

I used to be a cradle Catholic and no longer consider myself one. I looked for churches for many years trying different ones. I finally settled on the church that my fiance would attend and that is the Episcopal Church. Like Devin above, I prefer liturgical services. I cannot stand rock concert services and I dislike Pentecostal type services. So I stick with liturgical services.

I haven't been to church in a while though. I have my kids on the weekends and their mother doesn't want them attending anything other than a Baptist church. So, to keep with the divorce order so I cannot be held in contempt or be seen violating it, I do not go to church when I have the children which as I stated is every weekend. To clarify, she has final say in religious upbringing.

My church doesn't have Wednesday service and the small group is a morning when I work.

My priest is aware of my situation and has granted me leave from church because of it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm with you. As I am guessing traditional and reverent means liturgical?
I like traditional hymns, not rock concerts at church. Some churches do that. There is a church next to my house and you can hear the loud music from the street, to me that just takes away from it.

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord told me it's time to be bold, so I'm trying to follow. I don't like it, but I'm a servant of Jesus like many of you.
I used to be a cradle Catholic and no longer consider myself one. I looked for churches for many years trying different ones. I finally settled on the church that my fiance would attend and that is the Episcopal Church. Like Devin above, I prefer liturgical services. I cannot stand rock concert services and I dislike Pentecostal type services. So I stick with liturgical services.
The Lord has been showing me that corruption runs rampant in the church and I am to expose it. I'm trying to present the truth as I am being shown. In summary, the message is to follow Jesus and only Jesus. If you worship something else in a church other than Jesus, then the church is a false teacher, and what is following Jesus? Strictly scripture and simply Jesus. Nothing else is needed.
I haven't been to church in a while though. I have my kids on the weekends and their mother doesn't want them attending anything other than a Baptist church. So, to keep with the divorce order so I cannot be held in contempt or be seen violating it, I do not go to church when I have the children which as I stated is every weekend. To clarify, she has final say in religious upbringing.
It looks like a downward trajectory in the church and the message in Unraveling Daniel verifies it - if I have understood correctly.
My church doesn't have Wednesday service and the small group is a morning when I work.

My priest is aware of my situation and has granted me leave from church because of it.
You are seeking the Lord and I encourage you to continue. On-line services and daily dedication to scripture reading and prayer helped me connect when I couldn't attend services. Blessings to you and keep up the faith brother!!!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was raised Catholic and educated in Catholic schools. When I left school, I never returned to the church. I was born again at age 23 and joined a pentecostal church. I backslid from there after 10 years or more, and at age 43 repented, and asked the Lord to start again, and treat me as if I had learned nothing. I didn't want to backslide again, I didn't want to cleave to stuff that was error. I wanted the truth. I wanted to start from the beginning, as if I was a blank canvas. Within 2 weeks He had me going in a particular direction which led me to places in scripture I never knew existed.
All you have to do is ask. Don't trust yourself, don't rely on feelings, and surrender yourself wholly to God. Lay your pride in the dust and allow the Lord to take you back to the beginning. He won't fail you.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

FOR ONE caps IS not yelling. so know that i got that out of the way .i dont care for cut and dried preprogrammed services im not Pentecostal. to some degree i understand the mom i know very little about the Episcopal Church. from reading about the belief/ i can say they are not my cup of tea. there to close to catholic based . sounds like the kids are being tossed around when it comes to church

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised Catholic and educated in Catholic schools. When I left school, I never returned to the church. I was born again at age 23 and joined a pentecostal church. I backslid from there after 10 years or more, and at age 43 repented, and asked the Lord to start again, and ready me as if I had learned nothing. I didn't want to backslide again, I didn't want to cleave to stuff that was error. I wanted the truth. I wanted to start from the beginning, as if I was a blank canvas. Within 2 weeks He had me going in a particular direction which led me to places in scripture I never knew existed.
All you have to do is ask. Don't trust yourself, don't rely on feelings, and surrender yourself wholly to God. Lay your pride in the dust and all the Lord to take you back to the beginning. He won't fail you.
Well said!!! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Brakelite

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised Catholic and educated in Catholic schools. When I left school, I never returned to the church. I was born again at age 23 and joined a pentecostal church. I backslid from there after 10 years or more, and at age 43 repented, and asked the Lord to start again, and treat me as if I had learned nothing. I didn't want to backslide again, I didn't want to cleave to stuff that was error. I wanted the truth. I wanted to start from the beginning, as if I was a blank canvas. Within 2 weeks He had me going in a particular direction which led me to places in scripture I never knew existed.
All you have to do is ask. Don't trust yourself, don't rely on feelings, and surrender yourself wholly to God. Lay your pride in the dust and allow the Lord to take you back to the beginning. He won't fail you.
Good encouraging words! I read the scriptures and watch online Mass for church services. But like I said, I don't follow the Catholic teachings too well.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord told me it's time to be bold, so I'm trying to follow. I don't like it, but I'm a servant of Jesus like many of you.

You can be bold without yelling.

The Lord has been showing me that corruption runs rampant in the church and I am to expose it. I'm trying to present the truth as I am being shown. In summary, the message is to follow Jesus and only Jesus. If you worship something else in a church other than Jesus, then the church is a false teacher, and what is following Jesus? Strictly scripture and simply Jesus. Nothing else is needed.

I would worship Jesus in the Epicopal church and nothing else.

It looks like a downward trajectory in the church and the message in Unraveling Daniel verifies it - if I have understood correctly.

Possibly.

You are seeking the Lord and I encourage you to continue. On-line services and daily dedication to scripture reading and prayer helped me connect when I couldn't attend services. Blessings to you and keep up the faith brother!!!

I do what I can when I can. Thank you!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOR ONE caps IS not yelling.

It very much is, it's against what they call netiquette. I however may be showing my age.

to some degree i understand the mom i know very little about the Episcopal Church. from reading about the belief/ i can say they are not my cup of tea.

It isn't hers either, but I don't tell her where to bring the kids even though I wouldn't step foot in her church. She can bring them to whatever church she desires. What she does with the kids when she has them iarher business as long as they aren't being harmed.

there to close to catholic based .

They resemble the Catholic church, but aren't the Catholic church. The same way the Luthwran church resembles the Catholic church, but they aren't the Catholic church.

sounds like the kids are being tossed around when it comes to church

They aren't as I have abided by my ex's wishes. If I was allowed to take them I would, but I'm still not sure thatbwould be considered tossed around. They would go to two different churches and denominations, but would get two different experiences. They can choose what church to go to when they are older.

Bibleinvestigations

Jun 22, 2023
Melbourne Beach, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can be bold without yelling.
I'm not sure how. The books are speaking, but when I wake up with a song in my head praising Jesus and the words tell me there's a lion in me and to shout, what do you suggest I do?
I would worship Jesus in the Epicopal church and nothing else.
I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but a devout Catholic sister of mine, read my second book that exposed the Catholic fraud and commented, "I can't dispute anything you've written....but I'll always be a Catholic." We remain close and I don't discuss faith unless she brings it up. We pray together and worship Jesus. I'm not here to get anyone to change their church because I don't know your church. Focus on Jesus, which is what it sounds like you do, and you are saved. Focus on church tradition, and it's a rocky road.