To Live is Christ, To Die is Gain?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did Paul mean by this?

How can a person hold this attitude?

How does a person who holds this opinion live this sentiment out in daily life?

• Love
Reactions: APAK

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To live is Christ:

2 Corinthians 4:7-11 KJV
7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8) We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9) Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10) Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
11) For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

To die is gain:

1 John 3:1-3 KJV
1) Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

How to live that way:

Ecclesiastes 7:2 KJV
It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.

First thoughts . . .

Much love!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To live is Christ:

2 Corinthians 4:7-11 KJV
7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8) We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9) Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10) Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
11) For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

To die is gain:

1 John 3:1-3 KJV
1) Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

How to live that way:

Ecclesiastes 7:2 KJV
It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.

First thoughts . . .

Much love!
Would be "being like Christ" intend to be needed by a group of people hostile to the Gospel message or ignorant of its importance?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would be "being like Christ" intend to be needed by a group of people hostile to the Gospel message or ignorant of its importance?
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here.

Much love!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here.

Much love!
Christ loved us while we were sinners and even though we didn't realize it yet...we needed Christ's sacrifice and His messages for us. We needed Christ....always have and always will.

To live is Christ....Paul, like Jesus, was heavily persecuted for his message. But they really needed his message and explanations as well. The people that abused him needed what Paul taught and lived out so that one day they might too have life more abundantly and live forever.

So....to live a life and lifestyle that the world NEEDS and have people who need you. Just like we needed Christ.

• Love
Reactions: marks

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great thread title and these 3 questions.

Well to answer all 5 elements, together as is life, into death:

Paul was writing from prison, nearing the end of his run in his life. Since his rebirth he had dedicated his life for the gospel and Christ. He spread the word whilst suffering both mental and physical hardships over many years. He was never deterred in his mission and was a strong and fast holy athlete for the cause and suffering of the gospel, with a heart of truth with strong faith and lungs filled to the brim with the Spirit. He pressed on even in prison. Prison to him gave him time to write and strengthen the bonds of brotherhood in Christ. He realized that he was already running his lap in record time, and gave the gospel a wide birth, reaching a very wide audience, leading all other runners in this marathon race, and was now rounding the corner to the straight way, reaching out his hand to the pass the holy gospel baton to another as he neared the finish line of his life.

At that point in time, his faith reached its apex, his spirit fully engaged in Christ, with his heart racing and his Spirit supplying him with overwhelming energy to complete his last few strides in this life with great speed. He wanted to leave this earth as if he never died, with no time to realize he was even dying.

He just wanted to see Christ right there on the track, waiting for him at his 'end', as he passed the baton without dying if that were possible.

So how can we today in our different styles of living be like Paul with this same attitude? Learn scripture, love scripture, listen and obey the Spirit of God, pray, be eager to help others without being prompted, minimize the comforts of this life, participate with other brothers and sisters in Christ like even on this site to edify, build up and strengthen the faith already given since you found God in your life. Do all these and other things in peace, love, joy, of strong faith, that makes for rewarding life style known to others in the next life, and always thanking God along the way, for all the thing he has given you, good and the not so good. Be happy don't worry as the song goes.

And most importantly, finish this life with a bang for God, as Paul did, go out in glory for God and his Son. And then we will not see/experience death when we cross over our finish line, right into the arms of our salvation. amen

Thank you for the thread...

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ loved us while we were sinners and even though we didn't realize it yet...we needed Christ's sacrifice and His messages for us. We needed Christ....always have and always will.

To live is Christ....Paul, like Jesus, was heavily persecuted for his message. But they really needed his message and explanations as well. The people that abused him needed what Paul taught and lived out so that one day they might too have life more abundantly and live forever.

So....to live a life and lifestyle that the world NEEDS and have people who need you. Just like we needed Christ.
Yes, I understand now.

Amen! I love your perspective on this!

It leads me to the thought, The more we seek to live like Christ towards the rest of the world the more opposition we will have, which will make us live more like Christ, which will increase our opposition . . .

Much love!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I understand now.

Amen! I love your perspective on this!

It leads me to the thought, The more we seek to live like Christ towards the rest of the world the more opposition we will have, which will make us live more like Christ, which will increase our opposition . . .

Much love!
Well yes,
We will have opposition to the Gospel message.There is always those who prefer sin over living a Godly life and will do anything to continue to sin..but like Paul and Jesus were needed and desired by a handful....I think we too need to be desired and needed by a handful of Faithful Saints. No different from the Corinthians or Timothy or 11 Apostles in Jerusalem or even Romans (who got their letter by means of a lady from Corinth who delivered it and was available to answer questions they might have of Paul in his absence)

It is an often undiscussed topic of being needed in such a fashion. Granted God has the ultimate decision as to when that need ends....but the fact is to live like Christ is to be needed and even desired by a handful that repeat your messages of Christ long after you are gone.

• Love
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well yes,
We will have opposition to the Gospel message.There is always those who prefer sin over living a Godly life and will do anything to continue to sin..but like Paul and Jesus were needed and desired by a handful....I think we too need to be desired and needed by a handful of Faithful Saints. No different from the Corinthians or Timothy or 11 Apostles in Jerusalem or even Romans (who got their letter by means of a lady from Corinth who delivered it and was available to answer questions they might have of Paul in his absence)

It is an often undiscussed topic of being needed in such a fashion. Granted God has the ultimate decision as to when that need ends....but the fact is to live like Christ is to be needed and even desired by a handful that repeat your messages of Christ long after you are gone.
Paul went even further to say,

1 Corinthians 9:16-18 KJV
16) For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17) For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18) What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul recognized not only his responsibility to preach the Gospel, but in fact the absolute mandate God gave to him, "Woe is me if I don't!" Paul wanted to give his own gift to them, so he did it without charging anyone for his support.

There is a place, I can't think of it, where Paul talks about giving himself to those to whom he ministers. My gift to you is me. I think that's what our heart should be. We are given to others, poured out like an offerring. This is holiness. Living according to God's intent for us.

I see it in Ephesians, lie not to one another, which is righteousness, doing what is right, because we are members one of another, this is holiness, living as members of the same body, according to God's intent. Holiness, that is, separated to God, yields righteousness, doing what is right.

And I agree, a great thread!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul went even further to say,

1 Corinthians 9:16-18 KJV
16) For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17) For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18) What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul recognized not only his responsibility to preach the Gospel, but in fact the absolute mandate God gave to him, "Woe is me if I don't!" Paul wanted to give his own gift to them, so he did it without charging anyone for his support.

There is a place, I can't think of it, where Paul talks about giving himself to those to whom he ministers. My gift to you is me. I think that's what our heart should be. We are given to others, poured out like an offerring. This is holiness. Living according to God's intent for us.

I see it in Ephesians, lie not to one another, which is righteousness, doing what is right, because we are members one of another, this is holiness, living as members of the same body, according to God's intent. Holiness, that is, separated to God, yields righteousness, doing what is right.

And I agree, a great thread!

Much love!
Giving ourselves to others as a treat to be enjoyed....great thoughts!

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To live is Christ -- while alive we can spread the gospel and be good representatives of Christ among people

To die is (personal) gain -- we get to go be with Christ.

It's a win either way.

Reactions: JohnDB and marks

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To live is Christ -- while alive we can spread the gospel and be good representatives of Christ among people

To die is (personal) gain -- we get to go be with Christ.

It's a win either way.
Yes....gain is something else....more than we can comprehend.

Reactions: Jim C

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You need to read on, I believe. He points out his real wish is to "depart and be with Jesus." In other words, dying and being with Jesus is what he desires most.

[19] Yes, and I shall rejoice. For I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance,
[20] as it is my eager expectation and hope that I shall not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.
[21] For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
[22] If it is to be life in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.
[23] I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
[24] But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
[25] Convinced of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith,
[26] so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again. Philippians 1:19-26 RSV