Tongues-preaching?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;35368)
Kriss, this thread is not about whether tongues is babble or languages. It is whether tongues were used to preach or not. I can not understand your post in regard to the first question. Where in scripture does it say that tongues were for preaching?
You are missing the point Setfree this thread is about Pentcostal tongue movement and includes their practice of Tongues sense you are not one maybe you arent fully understanding what some of their church's teach I do not know if they all teach it the same but the more radical ones teach if you do not speak in what they call tongues you do not have proof of the Holy Spirit in you.Now in 1 Cor. the gifts were given to the aspostels and early church to Start the New Christain Church to preach the Gospel to the World this is why the gift was to aquire the ability to speak forgein Languages to heal to be Charitable these were gifts granted for this purpose Prophesize means to teach one of things written or of future Events AT THIS TIME There was NO so called Tongue of Babbling Prayer it was the gift of Forgein Language to prophesize (teach the Word of God) and his prophecy's that he would return. After the Gospel was preached to the World.Fast forward in time 1800's the Pencostal movement retranslated this gift to mean an unknown tongue of Babble that was the evidence of the holy spiritThis is why I dont find it Biblical the orginal gift was forgein Language Not prayer muttering.My point always was where does it say this gift went from speaking and understanding Forgein Language to muttering prayers as proof of the Holy spirit????It doesnt it was strickly a man made new interptation of a scripture that was never intended to be proof of the baptism of the Holy Spirit Could it be some of you do a form of meditative prayer and call this tongues for lack of another word??and if so this isnt the gift spoken of in 1 Cor. (as it was the gift of forgein Languages) Where as the more radical Pencostal movement insists that if you do not practice babble you do not have the Holy spirit in you are we talking two seperate things here or is this all the same thing???? If so this was never taught No where is muttering a condition of having the Holy Spirit in you we are saved by grace and by acceptance and repentance we have the baptisim of Holy Spirit NO MUTTERING REQUIRED.....................DO YOU SEE WHAT THEY WERE DOING HERE Luk 9:6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where. THEY departed for other parts where people spoke languages unknown to them They were To preach the Gospelto them but they couldnt do it if they couldnt communicate with these forgiengers So gave them and others the gift of speaking and understanding these New forgein Languages (this was the gift of Tongues( The Language of Natural forgein Langages) Luk 9:11 And the people, when they knew [it], followed him: and he received them, and spake unto them of the kingdom of God, and healed them that had need of healing. They spoke of What????? THE KINGDOM OF GODSORRY WRONG THREAD MENTIONED!!!

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I still do not see the tongues in order to preach the word here in your scriptures. Yes there was a language used to preach. It does not say it was one they did not learn.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
what dont you get ?? stop saying tongues for a minute and maybe you will be able to understand THIS IS LANGUAGE All national languages they were used to preach the Gospel it is the same today the gospel is preached in all languages throught the World this is FRECHwhatever language they spoke where the preaching was happeningbut the aspostels and first church evangilists only knew there own local Languages how were they to preach??? so the gift was to be able to speak in forgeign langues to they could be understoodWhat is so difficult to understand about that??If you went to China to preach Gods Word you need to speak Chinese or they have no clue what you are sayingthe gift was a understanding/speaking of these languagesthis is what the verse's are telling you they were doing

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I am wanting to see scriptures stated what you are saying. Tongues(languages) as the listed in 1 Corinthians is for preaching.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kalixx;35500)
....or make a god out of it and worship it
smile.gif

I did not get what you are implying here.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
what part of they preached in the normal language of the country they were in do you not understand ??? I do not know how else to say this These were Hebrew speaking people for the most part sent out into the World to preachIf they were in France they were given the gift of speaking /understanding in French SO THEY COULD PREACHIf they were in Spain they were given the gift of speaking/understanding/Spaninsh SO THEY COULD PREACHIf they were in Rome they had the gift of speaking/understanding in Greek SO THEY COULD PREACHIf they were in Italy they had the gift of speaking/understanding/ in Itailian SO THEY COULD PREACH If they were in China they had the gift of speaking/understanding /in Chineese SO THEY COULD PREACHIf they were in Japan they had the gift of speaking/understanding /in Japanese SO THEY COULD PREACHthese were Hebrews and gentiles many uneducated except for scripture they could have never preached the Gospel outside of their country without a gift of understanding and speaking forgien languages???? Otherwise The new church would have never gotten out of Israel.I have showed you tongues is the word "glossa" in the greek glossa means languages of other nations (foriegn languages) of other nations thats exactly the diffenation of the Word tongues. The new testament was written in greek thats the whole point there is no speacial prayer language NO SPECIAL LANGUAGE there is no other gift of tongues the gift of tongues is speaking and understanding forgeign languages Period there is no prayer language their is only the gift of speaking forgein langues TONGUES IS LANGUAGE they are the same thing a tongue is the Language spoken in a forgien country.TONGUES= GLOSSA=FORIEGN LANGUAGES

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
All I see is you trying to explain why you believe tongues is a languge to preach without scripture to back it up.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
You keep trying to convince me that tongues is a language. I agree it is a language!!! It is a language that you do not know. It is of the Holy Spirit (supernatural) something that you can not acquire without It. An unbeliever can not have this because it is of the Spirit. Every scripture that I quoted shows that tongues was used to magnify, lift up, esteem God. The preaching was done by Paul or Peter, it does not mention they preached in tongues. Read my post, it plainly shows tongues and preaching are different in every scripture.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
you keep acting like they are different things did you ever use a dictionary to get a definition of a Word????when you look up the word Tongue in the greek dictionary it gives you the defination of the wordglōssa Pronunciation glō's-sä (Key) VinesOutline of Biblical Usage 1): the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech2) a tongue : the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nationsThis is what a tongue is how can it be me it is the meaning of the word in the dictionarythis is a fact

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;35615)
You keep trying to convince me that tongues is a language. I agree it is a language!!! It is a language that you do not know. It is of the Holy Spirit (supernatural) something that you can not acquire without It. An unbeliever can not have this because it is of the Spirit. Every scripture that I quoted shows that tongues was used to magnify, lift up, esteem God. The preaching was done by Paul or Peter, it does not mention they preached in tongues. Read my post, it plainly shows tongues and preaching are different in every scripture.
but it is NOT PRAYER LANGUAGE it is simply saying to elevate and lift up people you must speak to them so that they understand that means in their own language NOT ANY MYSTERIOUS LANGUAGE

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;35625)
but it is NOT PRAYER LANGUAGE it is simply saying to elevate and lift up people you must speak to them so that they understand that means in their own language NOT ANY MYSTERIOUS LANGUAGE
What does magnify mean in Acts 10:46?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Note that it does not say that these disciples were talking to the unbelievers. They were just declaring what God had just done. Magnify means to praise, lift up.Could have been that they were just praising God and the unbelievers understood in there own language.Some did think they were drunk.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Can someone explain the difference in these two Greek words?Dialektos: 1258 diavlektoß Dialektos (dee-al'-ek-tos); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine from (1256) conversation, speech, discourse, language the tongue or language peculiar to any people Glossa: 1100 glw'ssa Glossa (gloce-sah'); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine of uncertain affinity 1. the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech 2. a tongue a. the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16:17 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;These verses I highlighted and underlined supports sister Kriss.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
The scriptures you quoted are the same ones I quoted but they still say the disciples were to preach-results those that believe will speak with new tongues. It still does not say that the purpose for tongues are to preach.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
People who speak English preach in English. People who speaks in Greek preach in Greek. People who speaks in German preach in Germany...Now if I learned a new tongue (language) would I not preach the nations who never heard of Christ and His Words with a foreign tongue, Can they understand home language? (primary language that you spoke of when you are born) The answer is no. So I must speak in their own tongue to preach the Gospel.In order for the Pentecostals to know Truth is to get out of the system and learn Truth alone with Him, not with a pastor as we are suppose to prove all things. (I Thessalonians 5:21) Quench not the Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:19) lest, they will be badly deceived. Depise not teaching the Word of God. (I Thessalonians 5:20)Proverbs 30:6 - Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(thesuperjag;35708)
People who speak English preach in English. People who speaks in Greek preach in Greek. People who speaks in German preach in Germany...Now if I learned a new tongue (language) would I not preach the nations who never heard of Christ and His Words with a foreign tongue, Can they understand home language? (primary language that you spoke of when you are born) The answer is no. So I must speak in their own tongue to preach the Gospel.In order for the Pentecostals to know Truth is to get out of the system and learn Truth alone with Him, not with a pastor as we are suppose to prove all things. (I Thessalonians 5:21) Quench not the Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:19) lest, they will be badly deceived. Depise not teaching the Word of God. (I Thessalonians 5:20)Proverbs 30:6 - Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
I am not Pentecostal. I have got alone with God and He has directed my studies. I have come a long way Superjag, I use to be very leagalistic and closed minded. I have a long way to go in learning the things of God. I do not claim to know it and I am open to change my belief if shown in the word of God, not just man's interpretation. You claim that tongues is JUST a language. Can anyone have this gift? because everyone has a language. Where we differ on this is that I believe that the gifts listed in Corinthians are by the Spirit and through the Spirit. Without the Spirit of God living within you, you can not manifest these gifts.You are speaking of learning a language, an unbeliever can learn a language. I understand that tongue definition is a language. Not one that we learn.In Acts 2 When the day of Pentecost came tongues as they appear on the disciples is glossa, but the language spoken of in verse 6 is dialedtos. Can you explain the difference in why the two are different?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;35673)
Can someone explain the difference in these two Greek words?Dialektos: 1258 diavlektoß Dialektos (dee-al'-ek-tos); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine from (1256) conversation, speech, discourse, language the tongue or language peculiar to any people Glossa: 1100 glw'ssa Glossa (gloce-sah'); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine of uncertain affinity 1. the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech 2. a tongue a. the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
You have to go to a Bible concordance to get the proper word that used in any particular verse the Word used in 1 Cor. was Glossa you cant just change a word that was used in the manuscripts to one you would rather useAnd Even your says its a language of a people The verses are very clear you just want them to say something that is not there so you refuse to read what they say.the GIFT WAS SPEAKING The languages of people and Nations it was not some mysterious babbling No verse says it is. Pray however you like but that was never the gift and will never be the gift.I dont care how one praises God or prays but I do take offence that you twist the scripture and say that Paul or any aspostel taught a mysterious babbelling was the gift THE GIFT GIVEN TO THE APOSTELS WAS THE SPEAKING AND UNDERSTANING OF LANGUAGE OF OTHER PEOPLE AND NATIONS If your to blind to see that this was nessary for these few Hebrew/Greek speaking men to need this gift to preach the gospel to other nations.Then you dont understand what scriptures says. I gave you verse telling exactly what they were using this gift for Luke You continue to believe that a man made doctrine of 100 years ago is what was spoken 2000 years ago to start the new church A NEW TONGUE MEANS they didnt know that Language yet then God gave them the gift and they could suddenly speak and understand that LanguageThere is no mysterious magic language spoken of in 1 Cor. only new and as yet unlearned lanuages of other peoples this isnt my doctrine its what the concordance and scripture says the only confusion is those that insist on reading something that isnt written.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
kriss,I do not appreciate you twisting what I say. Instead of answering my honest questions, You belittle me. To address all your accusations...1. When did I change a word; I simple ask the difference in the two. I never stated a verse. I am trying to understand!2.When have I said tongues is any thing other than languages? How many times do I have to tell you I did not say it was babbling. 3. Where did I say paul preached babble?You state these disciples needed the gift to preach the gospel, but I do not see a scripture stating this. You did mention they went were sent out to preach, but no where does it say they used tongues to do it. (This is your added interpretation)I do not know this man that started a religion 100 years ago. I agree I am far from an expert understanding scriptures. This is why I ask questions, this is how I learn. I thought this was what Christian forums were for.The gift that was given was the Holy Spirit, the gifts listed in Corinthians are a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.(1 Corinthians 12:7)Again you added words (mysterious magic language) that I never said or insinuated. Where have I read something not there or added to the word of God?