Tongues-preaching?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(setfree;35716)
(thesuperjag;35708)
People who speak English preach in English. People who speaks in Greek preach in Greek. People who speaks in German preach in Germany...Now if I learned a new tongue (language) would I not preach the nations who never heard of Christ and His Words with a foreign tongue, Can they understand home language? (primary language that you spoke of when you are born) The answer is no. So I must speak in their own tongue to preach the Gospel.In order for the Pentecostals to know Truth is to get out of the system and learn Truth alone with Him, not with a pastor as we are suppose to prove all things. (I Thessalonians 5:21) Quench not the Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:19) lest, they will be badly deceived. Depise not teaching the Word of God. (I Thessalonians 5:20)Proverbs 30:6 - Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
I am not Pentecostal. I have got alone with God and He has directed my studies. I have come a long way Superjag, I use to be very leagalistic and closed minded. I have a long way to go in learning the things of God. I do not claim to know it and I am open to change my belief if shown in the word of God, not just man's interpretation.You claim that tongues is JUST a language. Can anyone have this gift? because everyone has a language. Where we differ on this is that I believe that the gifts listed in Corinthians are by the Spirit and through the Spirit. Without the Spirit of God living within you, you can not manifest these gifts.You are speaking of learning a language, an unbeliever can learn a language.I understand that tongue definition is a language. Not one that we learn.In Acts 2 When the day of Pentecost came tongues as they appear on the disciples is glossa, but the language spoken of in verse 6 is dialedtos. Can you explain the difference in why the two are different?Yes, everyone has a language, but not everyone does not have the gift to speak in foreign languages.The two Greek words...(setfree;35673)
Can someone explain the difference in these two Greek words?Dialektos: 1258 diavlektoß Dialektos (dee-al'-ek-tos); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine from (1256) conversation, speech, discourse, language the tongue or language peculiar to any people Glossa: 1100 glw'ssa Glossa (gloce-sah'); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine of uncertain affinity 1. the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech 2. a tongue a. the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
They say technically the same thing setfree.(kriss;35742)
You have to go to a Bible concordance to get the proper word that used in any particular verse the Word used in 1 Cor. was Glossa you cant just change a word that was used in the manuscripts to one you would rather useAnd Even your says its a language of a people The verses are very clear you just want them to say something that is not there so you refuse to read what they say.the GIFT WAS SPEAKING The languages of people and Nations it was not some mysterious babbling No verse says it is. Pray however you like but that was never the gift and will never be the gift.I dont care how one praises God or prays but I do take offence that you twist the scripture and say that Paul or any aspostel taught a mysterious babbelling was the gift THE GIFT GIVEN TO THE APOSTELS WAS THE SPEAKING AND UNDERSTANING OF LANGUAGE OF OTHER PEOPLE AND NATIONS If your to blind to see that this was nessary for these few Hebrew/Greek speaking men to need this gift to preach the gospel to other nations.Then you dont understand what scriptures says. I gave you verse telling exactly what they were using this gift for Luke You continue to believe that a man made doctrine of 100 years ago is what was spoken 2000 years ago to start the new church A NEW TONGUE MEANS they didnt know that Language yet then God gave them the gift and they could suddenly speak and understand that LanguageThere is no mysterious magic language spoken of in 1 Cor. only new and as yet unlearned lanuages of other peoples this isnt my doctrine its what the concordance and scripture says the only confusion is those that insist on reading something that isnt written.
Please be careful dear sister Kriss. You went a little way overboard with this, as setfree was only asking what is the difference between the two Greek words. But I will and always support the Word of God as God uses common sense, and common sense wins all the time.I'm watching your back Kriss.JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Unless anyone has anything else to add or enlighten on the subject, I will conclude that the gifts were not manifested for the purpose of preaching. Kriss, I have no hard feeling toward you, It has been fustrating at times mostly because I feel misunderstood. Honestly I am trying to understand this subject. There has been a lot of what you have posted in the threads in this CB forum that have made me dig a little deeper.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
setfreeKriss, I will not debate the tongue issue with you because we see it different. I have said from the beginning it was a language not known by the speaker.That said, in the scriptures mentioned here I see that the preaching the gospel and the tongues are seperate. Therefore tongues are not for spreading the gospel. They are for the church, to edify, exhort, and comfortNotice in these scriptures the difference in preaching and tongues:Mark 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. 15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. 20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. Here the disciples preached-the believers will speak in tongues etc.Acts2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: Here the believers spoke in tongues praising God-Peter preached.Acts 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Here Peter preached-Gentiles spoke in tongues praising God.Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied Paul preached-believers spoke in tongues AND prophesied.What I am saying is that the manifestation of the gifts are not to spread the gospel, it is to build up the church that has already heard the gospel. The biggest problem with the gifts of the spirit is that most people do not understand the purpose of them, including me, because I am still searching and learning. I came across this in my studies and it spoke to me of the purpose of tongues. It is to praise, magnify God. I do not see it as preaching the gospel
Setfree Im not understanding you,because tongues is a language,you must be able to speak the language in order to spread the Gospel or you will need an interpretor,the only time you will not need to know the language or need an interpretor is when the Holy Spirit speaks through you as happened on Pentecost day,and that will not happen again until we are delivered up to satan in the end times.You are correct, tongues/languages will be used to magnify God but it is not happening now.Now lets look at the scriptures you quotedMark 16:14 "Afterward He appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen Him after He was risen."Judas is dead at this time so the eleven are those other disciples that were with Christ through His ministry. As the disciples were together arguing in disbelief, Jesus appeared to His disciples and He scolded them for their unbelief.Mark 16:15 "And He said unto them, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."The gospel of Jesus Christ, His death, burial, and resurrection is to be preached to every one of God's creation: To every race, peoples, and tongues of the earth. There are many language barriers as these disciples scattered throughout the earth to preach the gospel to every race and tongue. So how can you tell them of this gospel, if you cannot speak the language? Jesus instructions were to go to all the world and preach the gospel.It means that somebody is going to have to learn those languages that the other people of the earth speak, and learn to relate this gospel with understanding. This is the "great commission" that Jesus gave to us.Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned [condemned]."We are to follow in Christ's footsteps, and in that He was baptized, so should we be baptized. Many wonder if one is not baptized, does that mean that they are not saved? The foremost requirement of Salvation is ones Faith that allows him to believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that He lived the perfect life, then suffered as the Scriptures prophesied and taught He did; then died on the cross for our sins, and rose the third day, as the Scriptures said that He would.Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;""The signs" are those thing that make it obvious that the Holy Spirit is with that individual. You either have Christ in you or you don't, if you have Christ in you, then His Spirit, the Holy Spirit is there also. It is just that simple. The signs are all those things that allow us to understand completely that tis person is a believer. Those things that they do will be done only in Jesus name, for Jesus gets all the glory of any of their works that they do. The Christian knows that what ever God allows them to do, He has given them to the gift to accomplish that work. Whether preaching or teaching, playing an instrument, or football, or riding in a wheelchair and praying and witnessing to others. The "new tongues" is not "unknown tongues", but new languages, teaching and preaching so that what you say will be understood completely.If you take the truth to the entire world, you will either learn the language with understanding of the country that you will teach in, or they simply will not understand you. The disciples and those that are going out to teach the gospel are going to have to learn those languages, or they are going to have to take an interpreter with them. If the people don't understand what your saying, they won't even know when to say Amen.Mark 16:20 "And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen."They went everywhere, around the sinners, and in the high courts, even to the kings and Caesar himself, in Paul's case. Jesus disciples fanned out over the world from India and the east, to Africa and the parts to the north. This ministering is very well known, as recorded through many historical records. When you preach the Word of God to reach the sinners, then you have to go where the sinners are. What are you going to preach? "The Lord working with them." This working is what we have just finished in this entire book of Mark. It also includes the rest of the New Testament, and all of the Old Testament, and it includes all the promises that God has made to those that by faith repent and believe on His name."Confirming" in the Greek text is "Bebaioo, to establish, to make sure, steadfast, and give stability". All of the signs and prophecies that our Lord Jesus Christ gave, that are written in His Word gives us the guideposts to place in our minds. The Holy Spirit will give us the understanding of those things that Jesus taught, and in this final generation we are to be on watch for those signs of the end times, of the generation that we are now living in, so that we will not be deceived. Where do you get the diciples saying belivers will speak in tongues?Acts 2:11 "Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."What was being said by these Apostles and those with them were "the wonderful works of God." The Holy Spirit was telling all those men from all over the world of God's wonderful plan in action. It was given by the Holy Spirit to where all men could hear at the same time, and understand each word. That is not turkey scratching or turkey calling my friend. It was spoken with clarity. This "unction" given by the Holy Spirit of God is the act of anointing as a rite of consecration or healing, and it is a supernatural form of a language in the manner that it is given.Pentecost day is the day of the firstfruits. It is a time to think on things of God, and that is what the Christian is to do on Pentecost day. Now we are going to find out what they said on that day.Acts 2:13 "Others mocking said, "These men are full of new wine."Others had no other explanation, except to say that they were all drunk. One of the main reasons that some of the men that heard, mocked what was being said, was because of what was said. The most dramatic thing spoken was that women will have an important part in the church in the end days. Many men even to this day, if you mention that the daughters of God shall witness, and testify, and prophecy get all bent out of shape. We will see this in detail later in this chapter. Acts 2:14 "But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, "Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:" "Peter stood there boldly with the other eleven Apostles, and he told them to be certain of this one thing, when you say that these men have been drinking. Peter told them to listen closely to the words being spoken.Acts 2:15 "For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day."It is only nine oclock in the morning, and you know on a feast day it is prohibited to partake of anything until the noon hour that would intoxicate. Friend, are you ready to learn what they said."Listen.Acts 2:16 "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"But, [on the other hand]; this is what Joel was saying in the book of Joel. So to find out we have to go to the book of Joel. You don't have to worry about the turkey calls, God had those Words written in His Book of Joel in our Bible. As long as you can read in your language, and the Word is in that language, you can read it for yourself. Peter is saying this is a sample of what Joel said would come to pass, but you have to remember that Joel said it wouldn't come to pass until the end days. That is what is shocking about the words to all those religious men.This is what Joel said.Acts 2:17 " `And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"What is going to happen in their speaking in cloven tongue by the Holy Spirit, shall come to pass in the last generation. It is God that will pour out His Spirit, the Holy Spirit on all flesh. Then Peter told them that "your daughters would prophecy in church", and can't you see all those old men choking and gasping for air when the words were spoken. Women shall prophecy, they shall preach and teach from the Word of God. Now that isn't to confusing, is it. Well if you were living two thousand years ago on Pentacost day, it would have been earth shaking. Friend, this is what Joel said, and what Peter just repeated. It is found in Joel 2:28-32.Joel 2:28 "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:"After the northern army comes lead by Antichrist. "My Spirit" is the Spirit of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit. It is what the People will say on Pentecost day, during the time of this filling of the Holy Spirit. Here the daughters are mentioned again. Friend, listen to what God's Word has to say, and shut off the turkey callers. It is absolute, the daughters shall prophecy in the church right along with the sons. This was the message that was given two thousand years ago also, and it was a sample of what would happen in our generation.Joel 2:29 " And also upon the servants and upon the hand maids in those days will I pour out My spirit."Joel 2:30 "And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke."Joel 2:31 "The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come."Joel 2:32 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call.Remember, Joel called out to those living in the final days to sound the trumpet, sound the alarm, we are getting ready for the Antichrist to come to earth with his locust army, and he is going to lead his northern army against the children of God. Then when the Antichrist does that, the firstfruits which are the elect of God are going to stand up, and we just read is what they will say. Do you understand now what was mouthed on Pentecost Day by those dear souls that were filled wih the Holy Spirit. It was the truth of God's Word, and there was no interpreter needed, for God did His own interpretating.In the book of Mark it records where the Holy Spirit will speak through the sons and daughters, to give us the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. Mark 13:9-11; Mark 13:9 "But take heed to your selves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the syagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony against them.""Councils" is "Sanhedrin", the religious councils of the day. The only reason you will be delivered up in this last generation, is for Christ's sake. What you have to say to them, is not something that they want to hear, because they have all been deceived by that moment, and you are telling them so. Think of this totally in a spiritual way, in that it will be the Holy Spirit that will be doing the speaking and giving you the unction to speak.. The beating is not by a club, but by brow beating. It is using mental preasures and suasion to try and get you to change your stand. This will be more like a church revival, battling the good head deacons who have bought Satan's lies. Mark 13:10 "And the gospel must first be published among all nations."This is the reason for the need of the the voice of the Holy Spirit, or tongues being spoken. When one of God's elect speaks, it will be just as prophesied by Joel the prophet.Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought before hand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost."Don't sit and plan ahead on what you are going to say, because you are not going to be the one doing the speaking, though the voice comes from you. The hour that this is talking about is the "hour of temptation". This is the hour spoken of in Revelation 17:12; that hour with the beast, the one world religious system, where Satan, the Antichrist rules over all mankind. It is also called the "hour of Temptations", which is a five month period as told by Jesus in Revelation 9:5, 10. Acts 10:42 "And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.""Quick" is the "living, and the dead, are the spiritually dead. It is God that ordained Jesus and ordained him with that authority to be the judge over the living and the dead, physically. Those that died in the flesh and were held prisoners in the heart of the earth, Jesus was able to release part of those lost souls that would believe. Then what we are witnessing is the teaching of the real word, right in the home of the Gentiles. This is the start of God opening His promises to all His children.Acts 10:43 "To Him give all the prophets witness, that through His name whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins."Probably the strongest prophets to bring this to light is in Isaiah 53:11, to the end of the chapter. It tells us how Jesus would suffer. There would be a first advent, and there also would be a second. This is made clear in this chapter of Isaiah.Acts 10:44 "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word."As Peter was speaking to these Gentile people, the Holy Spirit fell on all of the people that were there listening to Peter. Acts 10:45 "And they of the circumcisin which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit."Those that came with Peter to Cornelius' house, saw the evidence of the Holy Spirit in all of these Gentiles, and they were astonished. Acts 10:46 "For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,"All of these people had the evidence of that Holy Spirit? Remember what that evidence of the Holy Spirit was? When they spoke, the words were understood in the very language and dialect of the neighborhood that the listener was from. In other Words, these Italians and other foreigners that were from other Gentile nations, sounded like they came from Joppa, the place where Peter's friends came from, while he was living at Simon the tanner's house. Acts 19:6 "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."It was not Paul's hands that had done this, but the Holy Spirit. This is the same Spirit from Pentecost day, as spoken of in Acts 2:6, 7; "Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language." [6] "And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, "Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?" " [7] Tongues are plural here because when they spoke it, it was heard in every language that was present. The hearer did not hear babbling, or all the other languages running together, but each of them heard only what was said in their own language and dialect where they were born. Acts 2:8 "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born." This is the proof that the Holy Spirit was present, and the evidence of His presence is that you can speak in it. That evidence requires nothing of the hearer, except that they can hear. It matters not which language that the speaker speaks, for when the Holy Spirit speaks, every language in the world is understood at the same time in the ear of the listener. It is so clear in understanding that a person from Boston would think that a Mexican was from Boston, as the message was given in Spanish. There is no mystery to the Holy Spirit's speaking, for it is crystal clear in understanding

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I am not going to re-hash this, I stated where I stand. I clearly see The preaching and tongues seperate.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
setfreeI am not going to re-hash this, I stated where I stand. I clearly see The preaching and tongues seperate.
No problem with me